[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Serious question Has Cyborg ever been good? In classic (New)
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 9
Serious question

Has Cyborg ever been good?

In classic (New) Teen Titans he was kind of a mopey sadsack with possibly the worst design of any cybernetic comics character ever. And when you think about how many shitty 90s comics cyborgs there are, that's saying a lot.

Then, when the 90s sidekicks like Tim Drake and Kon El became the Titans, he was a boring mentor

They tried to re-christen him as the everyman normal-guy-thrust-into-extraordinary-circumstances member of the Justice League in the nu52 (for some reason) but that hasn't exactly worked out particularly well, either.

Have I missed some secret version of the character where he's super interesting? Why does he keep turning up? And why is he actually cool in the Teen Titans cartoon? Is it all Khary Payton? Why can the animators at Warners give him a cool design by the comic artists at DC can't?
>>
>>78872404
He's ok in his solo
>>
File: image.jpg (161 KB, 566x640) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
161 KB, 566x640
His current solo isn't bad. They also finally updated his apoearance to something sleeker and more modern.
>>
Cyborg is the only Titan who never did something stupid that caused problems for the team.
>>
File: Elongatedman.png (84 KB, 250x262) Image search: [Google]
Elongatedman.png
84 KB, 250x262
>>78873301
Yeah, but it's the squeaky wheels that get the grease
>>
>>78872404
He's been good at hitting those showers.
>>
>>78872404

I liked him in the cartoon.
>>
>>78873097
Meh, too sleek if you ask me. Anyway OP theres a reason why hes now a founding JL member. Diversity.
>>
>>78873343
Go away EG, we got plastic man to deal with
>>
>>78872404
Nope.
Sad to say, but they put him in as the token black character to be more diverse.
They fucking got rid of Martian Manhunter and put this C-lister on the main roster.

Fuck you, DC Editorial. Fuck you.
>>
File: 70s-x-men.jpg (34 KB, 400x286) Image search: [Google]
70s-x-men.jpg
34 KB, 400x286
>>78873414
But diversity can be good. All you have to do is add good characters, instead of a boring one.
>>
He's just so

boring

Every incarnation of him is boring. He's just so hard to care about.

His whole concept is uninspired. There's nothing to him besides "part people part robot, blackface and laser"

Who IS Cyborg? What's his motivation? What the fuck is his purpose? Does he have a code? Is he an alcoholic? Does he have a family? A love interest? A rogue gallery?
>>
>>78873504
Oh theres nothing wrong with it, I like cyborg, I was just inferring that DC hasnt exactly done a great job justifying him over Manhunter. Hes just....there half the time. They really need to flesh him out more. I mean christ is only noteworthy adversary was Grid
>>
>>78873560
sometimes he has a dad that he hates for turning him into a cyborg
>>
>>78873581
Isn't that more an issue of Justice League being a Trinity show half the time? Him and Shazam seem to get the shaft a lot so far, so I don't think it's a Cyborg only issue.
>>
>>78872404
aside from the cool blue bits, he's terrible in the cartoon
the main problem with cyborg is we never got a bruce timm version.
i like his basic concept. His parents basically Tunguska'd him. That kind of betrayal sticks with him and makes him a little traumatized about what he is... so he's not just a typical boring cyborg but he also isnt the same old boring transhuman angst either. He'd probably be really okay with it if it was more like in that one recent animated movie where it really was to save his life.
>>
>>78872404
BOOYAH THIS!
>>
>>78873414
Steel god dammit. STEEL. plus then you can compete with marvel giving war machine a bigger role.
>>
>>78873810
Cyborg has more potential than Steel as a mostly original member of a team, as opposed to a derivative of Superman

Also, Cyborg never had a terrible Shaq movie
>>
i cant wait until the JL movie where he will teach all the white people to dance and then play hippity hop music in the batmobile and make batman all mad
>>
>>78873810
Literally nobody gives a fuck about Steel.

With that movie of his, he's poison.
>>
Cyborg was my favorite character in the Titans cartoon and I enjoyed his Forever evil appearance and redesign he got. That was sleek as fuck and I much prefer it over his new design. But robot characters tend to be my favorites in super teams so I may like him more than his shallow characterization may deserve.
Personally I really like his original design for how old fashioned it looks and that he had to manually switch out attachments for his hands. I liked that they were just straight up prosthetic limbs and not metal meat arms.
Personally I wish he wasn't high profile because I think his evolution as character would work better if he started out with less advanced tech from the get go. I would much rather see him evolve over time into a Justice League member where his tech has clear advancements and limitations. Maybe like Ironman's many different suits Cyborg could just have different augmentations for specialized missions.
What I don't like is that he is not really a cyborg anymore just an alien machine man with powers I find confusing.
>>
>>78874618
His nu52 run has given him several upgrades so far. He's gone from hobbled together apokalips tech to a nanomachine man. It's the clearest progression in tech he's had
>>
>>78873810
Black Lightning would've been better
>>
>>78874928
Yeah I like the idea that he automatically assimilates tech, whether he wants to or not. Though I miss the bulkier design. It's more cumbersome and invokes the idea that normal task are awkward for him now
>>
File: cyborgirl.png (32 KB, 495x600) Image search: [Google]
cyborgirl.png
32 KB, 495x600
>>78872404
Cartoon Cyborg was really good as hell.

They would be better making him like that, the "younger rookie" among the rest of the league.

Also, why the hell they dont put blue on his armor? It looks great.
>>
>>78873480
Martian Manhunter is actually having AMAZING stories now tho.
>>
>>78875358
I didn't like cartoon cyborg. I feel like I was supposed to since I'm black, but he just came off as a generic nigga
>>
>>78875268
I feel progressively slimming him down reflects him becoming more comfortable with himself. They just kinda dropped the ball of reflecting it in his characterization
>>
>>78875504
>but he just came off as a generic nigga

Hum...maybe is this? He seemed like a cool bro to hng around.
>>
>>78873670
Yeah that's a problem. Name one thing Flash has done in the Justice League in the new 52.
>>
>>78875504
Cartoon Cyborg was in a lot of ways the normal one. Robin was the driven borderline psycho, Raven was the angsty misanthrope, Starfire was super naive, and Beast Boy was super goofy. Cyborg was middle of the road guy.

I also thought it was really weird how they touched on his cyborg angst in the team's origin episode but he barely had any the rest of the time
>>
>>78875665
Maybe he just seemed to normal to me.
>>
>>78875780
He had Cyborg angst episode once a season. Two sometimes.
>>
>>78875784
Well, even in the show he hadthe lest going on of the whole team
>Beast Boy had Tera and Doom Patrol (Never Forget) episodes
>Starfire had episodes with her sister and home planet, besides her "romance" with Robin and general "fish out of water" personality
>Robin was the leader, had Deathstroke subplot and relationship with Starfire
>Raven had her daddy issue subplot with a nice conclusion, besides being the "Goth" knock off of the group
>Cyborg as there... I guess he worked with teach and had that episode were he fights a more advanced robot and still wins. Oh, and his robot car.

>>78875875
>He had Cyborg angst episode once a season. Two sometimes.
I only remember one actually (that I mentioned) what were the others.
>>
>>78876021
Cyborg got to be cucked by kid flash
>>
>>78873670
I really wanna see billy and vic broing it up more
>>
>>78874928
I thought his original look wasn't that cumbersome or hobbled together despite that being explicitly stated. I thought it looked too clean despite it being mysterious technology. A more haphazard or at least asymmetrical look might have been a better choice. But I really liked his slimmed down redesign.
I guess what I don't like about his new design is that in story he doesn't have to look machine at all given that he can transform any part of his body to look completely normal. I guess he has to transform his body to use his powers, but I don't know if the book has made that clear. I haven't really read too much of his book since I found it kinda boring.
>>
>>78873414
I think the new look gets across the fact he's a cyborg best, and even harkens a bit back to his original design without looking dated. The previous n52 designs just looked like heavy/sleek power armor
>>
>>78876205
he should have acted quicker
>>
Cyborg is just a poor man's Commander Steel
>>
>>78873480
Except MMH is at the best he's been in years.

He finally just had an arc that didn't revolve around white martians.
>>
>>78876021
Well he did have the episodes where he fought Brother Blood. Even though he was probably the weakest villain in the series I did like that his motivation to go after Cyborg was pretty clear. I guess he was the most well adjusted member of the Team despite his power coming from dis-figuration.
>>
>>78876546
Don't think I don't know it's you Carlos
>>
The JL movie ultimately decides if Cyborg is still getting a solo film. Which I wont lie, Im interested in how that would go considering the freedom you have. Worst case scenario, they go full Robocop reboot. Best case he fights with Red Tornado or the Metal Men against someone like AMAZO.
>>
>>78876719
I guess she finally snapped.
>>
>>78873581
I'm disappointed by Grid. Thematically he would be a great villain for Cyborg; he's litterally the machine to Vic's man and sets up a personal reason for Vic to have a grudge against him(it?). But it seems like they totally don't realize the potential there
>>
>>78877102
Well they are bringing him back in the current JL arc. Done right, he could be an ok antagonist for the movie
>>
The last awesome thing Cyborg did was having a rivalry with Brother Blood and the H.I.V.E. academy

I do not like what New 52 has done with him making him the head tech repair guy of the Justice League station.
>>
>>78877432
>head tech repair guy
You mean being Batman's phone
>>
>>78877488
>Listen Vic, youre here to answer the phone, and play ping pong with Shazam
I now want art of Cyborg sitting behind a desk looking depressed
>>
I liked his current solo, it didn't hit the ball out of the park but it's good so far. It's weird how now he's hiding the fact that he can look human whenever he wants to in order to continue garnering attention from others.
>>
>>78873759
>He'd probably be really okay with it if it was more like in that one recent animated movie where it really was to save his life.
Well that's his current New 52 canon since his dad only did it because he would have died.
>>
File: 119wjdw.jpg (41 KB, 569x428) Image search: [Google]
119wjdw.jpg
41 KB, 569x428
>>78872404
DC is pushing him because he did well in the TT show.

But you're right he needs something. He worked well in TT because of Beast Boy. He needs a buddy, he works best as a bro. He doesn't really pop in the new52, until Shazam joins the Justice League.
>>
>>78876021
>I only remember one actually (that I mentioned) what were the others.
okay in the early seasons there was the one with the robot scrapyard and the guy that tried to upgrade him, then there was the one where he competed with a robot and went over 100% of his power because he was part human, then there's the car episode, and then there was the season with brother blood which was cyborg's main antagonist.
Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.