[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>Lex is now seen as a hero by the general public in the DCU
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 68
Thread images: 15
File: justl_30_2-3.jpg (239 KB, 575x709) Image search: [Google]
justl_30_2-3.jpg
239 KB, 575x709
>Lex is now seen as a hero by the general public in the DCU
>part of the justice league
>Doesn't have his own ongoing

DC needs to remedy this or go back to having be a villain.

Who would you want writing a Lex ongoing? I would have said Soule but now that he is Marvel exclusive I would say Bunn; he seems to be good at writing total bastard anti-heroes
>>
>>78869588

Lex got his own tie-in issue of Darkseid War and had a lot of focus in Forever Evil and the Amazon Virus arc.

He's one of my favorite villains in all of comics, but let's be honest, a full-blown ongoing would wear the character out fast. He works best when he get some hints at a well-rounded character, but leaves it ambiguous as to whether he actually believes the shit he sells to everyone else, or if he really is a cold-hearted amoral bastard underneath all the talk and suits.
>>
>>78869652
I liked when he was the lead in Action Comics, but you're probably right. The occasional mini would be cool though.
>>
>>78869588
you cannot be serious
i think the current age of comics is officially worse than the silver age
>>
File: 3iD06YN.gif (2 MB, 400x206) Image search: [Google]
3iD06YN.gif
2 MB, 400x206
>>78869737

Says someone who has probably read nothing of the Silver Age outside of Superdickery panels.
>>
File: fuckeverything.jpg (48 KB, 384x574) Image search: [Google]
fuckeverything.jpg
48 KB, 384x574
>>78869588
Not all leaguers get an ongoing. Just the important ones.
>>
>>78869588
>>78870875

JOHNS is a selfish lazy faggot.
>>
>>78870923

Johns is CCO of DC and also has a big hand in several of the TV shows. I don't blame him for only having one or two ongoings to worry about on top of administrative duties.
>>
>>78869588
He's Darkseid now
>>
>>78871002
He needs to stop having ongoings. He needs to do 2-3 good minis a year and nothing more, he is one of the best in the industry, but he clearly can't keep an ongoing, JL has been affected by his outside work
>>
>>78869737
>worse than the silver age
Are you implying that the Silver Age was bad?
>>
do you think lex is gonna be on the league past darkseid war? i hope so they still have a lot to finish up with him.

also johns writes one of the best lex luthor's ive seen
>>
>>78869588
>>Lex is now seen as a hero by the general public in the DCU
>>part of the justice league

So he's just a Norman Osborn Dark Reign knockoff now? Of did he go Full Hawkguy?
>>
File: 17.jpg (795 KB, 1193x1834) Image search: [Google]
17.jpg
795 KB, 1193x1834
>>78871743
he's duplicitous his motives are not so simple
>>
>>78871656

I doubt it, the Amazo Virus and Darkseid War stories have built up a lot of shit that he has to deal with now, and he'll probably bow out of the League to wrap up those loose ends away from the public eye.
>>
>>78871743

Anything Luthor does, ESPECIALLY in Johns' version of the character, is done with public opinion polls in mind. Joining the League is a tactical move to gain access to their resources and improve his image to the average civilian.
>>
>>78872045
i just want him to stick around for the amos fortune arc

johns has teased a lot that hasn't come to fruition yet
>ted kord
>superwoman's baby and luthor's deal with owlman
>amos Fortune
>rogues on the watchtower
>>
>>78872104
>>superwoman's baby and luthor's deal with owlman
Superwoman is giving birth in Darkseid War, and I assume Luthor's thing with Owlman will come back up there too
>>
Granted Lex just threw superman in a volcano, I can't see him hanging around much longer in the JL when things settle.
>>
>>78871656
I'm hoping Johns leaves after darkseid war when they relaunch next year. I like Johns but his runs tend to get weaker as they go on. GL & JSA ended on a weaker note than they started.

That and I want him on Shazam,
I'm 100% sure he's cockblocking anyone else from writing Shazam.

>>78872104
Johns always has a lot of ideas that fizz out. I'm surprised he's delivering on Seven Seas.
>>
>>78872500
well after darkseid war, he's doing a crossover with hitch's jla and then the aquaman crossover in seven seas i can see him being gone after that but I doubt it.

and nigga GL #20 was a satisfying as fuck ending. granted the arcs preceding it were just okay
>>
>>78869588
>wanting fucking Soule to write based Sex Luthor
Go drink bleach.
>>
>>78872500
It's been the opposite for JL. It started weak, but got better. But his run is still a little inconsistent and not that great.
>>
i think a hickman-led sex luthor league would be good. hickman's thing is writing characters who are too smart and clever for their own good
>>
>>78869588
It was obvious that Lex won't be in the league forever. He's probably got an evil reason for joining the league. He, Rogues and Owlman got some shady plans together.

>>78872823
Has Hickman ever written a solo?
>>
>>78871743
Johns is not veryoriginal but is always really fun to read.
>>
>>78872500
>I like Johns but his runs tend to get weaker as they go on. GL & JSA ended on a weaker note than they started.

JSA got fucked because Johns tried to introduce too many characters and it was difficult to include everyone in a meaningful way by the end of it. His Kingdom Come arc suffers pretty heavily from that problem.
>>
>>78869588
>Who would you want writing a Lex ongoing?

Ellis
>>
File: 1335911731001.jpg (74 KB, 450x240) Image search: [Google]
1335911731001.jpg
74 KB, 450x240
>>78873091

...Fuck me that'd be great.
>>
can I ask a general question, since this is a version-specific-thread?
what is going on with dc? I follow very little stuff, it's my understand the "main" storylines were on a "New earth" (why would main be new though?) and now they're on a "Prime earth".

And there was an infinite-multiverse crisis too?

What happened? Stuff mostly on new earth almost caused a multiverse collapse, then new earth was destroyed? or left-half-destroyed and the writing focus moved on prime earth just like that?
>>
>>78869588
Batman looks black in that picture.
>>
>>78873150

You want the full history?

DCU was just one single earth at the beginning, then expanded to two main earths, with implied infinite earths across the Multiverse. Then Crisis on Infinite Earths broke that down, and folded Earth 1 and Earth 2 together, along with a few other Earths made up of characters that DC had acquired in the meantime (Captain Marvel, Uncle Sam and the Freedom Fighters, and the Charlton Comics characters). This got boiled down to one Earth, "New" Earth.

This continued with the anti-matter universe that we saw before COIE also being shown to still be in existence, but with no multiverse to speak of, until the events of Infinite Crisis and 52 spawned 52 Earths patterned off of New Earth into a new Multiverse.

post-Flashpoint, some of those earths got re-ordered, combined, and re-named, but it stayed at 52. Then Multiversity showed that outside of this Multiverse there are OTHER Multiverses that were unknown beforehand. Now the Multiverse is truly infinite again, but with the post-IC structure of the Multiverse holding true for the local cluster of alternate earths.

Does that make sense?
>>
>>78872894
interestingly enough hickman has never written anything focusing on a single character
>>
>>78873273
it explained much, it didn't account for what earth prime is.
>>
>>78871434
No, he just needs a co-writer at this point. He really should bring in Gates or someone he works well with onto JL to give him a hand. Shit, having a co-writer could potentially enable the book to start double-shipping, which while I acknowledge the divisiveness of this opinion, would be a good thing for JL.
>>
>>78873382
Earth-Prime is us. Currently known as Earth-33, we're the fountainhead for the multiverse.
>>
>>78872609
>not reading Soule's one shot Forever Evil issue with Lex

nigga pleas
>>
>>78873599
ok, just two more questions.
a) writing just focused on earth prime now? with no justification other than "we do this now"?
b) if a single earth was at first, then two, 1 and 2, then 52 or more or infinite why exactly is 33 the "fountainhead"?
>>
File: 1437670524429.jpg (18 KB, 293x219) Image search: [Google]
1437670524429.jpg
18 KB, 293x219
>>78869737
>implying Silver Age wasn't GOAT
>>
>>78873654
FE is shit
>>
>>78873673
Okay I can see you're going to want the guidebook.

Anyone got the guidebook?
>>
>>78873921
do these two questions require a full guidebook?
wow.
scary
>>
File: Multiverse Map wallpaper.jpg (1 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Multiverse Map wallpaper.jpg
1 MB, 1920x1080
>>78873994

He's talking about Multiversity, the miniseries. There was an issue in it called "The Guidebook" that outlines the structure of the current Multiverse according to Grant Morrison.

Unfortunately I don't have it on this computer to post.

I DO have the map though.
>>
>>78873800

FE is overhyped a little but it's still REALLY good and has a number of fantastic tie-ins, Lex's included.
>>
>>78873994
Nah, just a specific segment. This is from the Multiversity Guidebook, published last year.
>>
>>78872500
He still has the crossover with Hitch's JLA and Rise of the Seven Seas.

So it'll be like another year after Darkseid War is over.
>>
"Once, nothing and everything were the same thing..."
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>78874171
I'm just curious how if one then two earths existed, then more were created, one of the newer ones ends up being the one holding the multiverse together
then again, science isn't linear and this isn't science, it's fiction
>>
>>78873673
A.) Earth-33 is surrounded by a memetic barrier that keeps the Multiverse around it (and around us) from entering our world except in the form of ideas and thoughts. Similarly, we cannot exit the memetic barrier, but our ideas and thoughts can. It seems that we have the most powerful effect on other universes by being able to write their histories and stories in the form of comic books; the ideas come to us in dreams, and the dreams are given life on paper, and the paper becomes life in other universes. At least, that's my interpretation of the process. For all we know, it's "Just because".

B.) It's not entirely clear how the Multiverse is organized. But in the Orrery of Worlds (See >>78874086), Earth-33 is directly opposite of Earth-0, the main DC Universe focused upon in the comics.
>>
>>
Hope this helps, mate.
>>
>>78874296
Actually, we don't really "create" stuff, we just see how stories are developed and write them, we are not creators, just chronists.

>>78874283
Well the flaw at the beggining of time started to expand and multiply, contained in the Orrery where it multiplied covering an infinite nmber of different frequencies, then the Antimonitor left just one Earth behind; Then Alexander Luthor Jr. Created 51 more eaths, all identical and Mr Mind started removing stuff and changing some events un history which gave each Earth particular qualities. Such as us not having any superhero and not being able to cross to any other Earth, or Earth's 20 and 40 duality and such.
>>
>>78874283
>>78874296

Basically Earth 0 is the keystone of the universe because it's where all the stories take place. It's a self-fulfilling prophecy. All the Prime versions of the characters are the ones that "matter" the most because they're the ones that audience itself cares about the most.

Earth-33 (our earth) is where all the stories come from, and yet we have no superheroes of our own, all of our heroes are in comic books and other stories, which as we see in Multiversity (and really in the history of the DCU itself, this concept goes ALL the way back to Flash of Two Worlds) provides windows into observing those other worlds. We create heroes, but cannot interact with them directly.
>>
File: 1400810776311.png (2 MB, 1024x1412) Image search: [Google]
1400810776311.png
2 MB, 1024x1412
>>78874414
>We create heroes, but cannot interact with them directly

>>78874394
>we are not creators, just chronists

I see we have two different schools of thought on the Hypercrisis competing here.
>>
>>78869588
I really do think a Lex Luthor title could be possible right now, but make it more about him doing business, more political shit and backstabbing, petty Superman things like spraying the JLU tower toilets with kryptonite dust, meeting up with other villains and heroes and interacting. Get Azzarello on it.
>>
>>78874451
If you read Flex Mentallo, you see there that at the beggining, superheroes and regular men were separated, and we used stories because we remembered them; also stories and ideas come to us from Morpheus' realm, the master of stories as visions from other worlds which we put in a comic, a novel, a movie and so on.
>>
>>78874394
>>78874414
I believe it's a two-way street: We create the heroes, they become real in other universes, their lives come back to us in the form of ideas and thoughts, and we put those ideas and thoughts back into the comics.

As for the heroes' origins, it may hearken to the notion that heroes stem from ancient depictions of gods and godlike beings. So there's that as well.
>>
>>78874614
>As for the heroes' origins, it may hearken to the notion that heroes stem from ancient depictions of gods and godlike beings. So there's that as well.

The best stories, the ones that resonate with us and make us believe in something outside ourselves, represent a metaphysical reality that we cannot represent through empirical statements.

There's a quote from a Chesterton essay that I particularly like, where he says there's a reason why fiction and novels are so much more popular than science textbooks or math treatises. Those narratives truly represent the world as it is.
>>
>>78874762
This touches upon an important note here. These characters and these alternate universes are all based around variations upon existing themes.

It's like how Grant built Barman up to be the Orion of the Fifth World, showing the refinement of the idea as worlds move onwards.

In our world, Batman is literally a refinement of Zorro, and that's a character type dating back ages. We may create new characters and heroes and worlds for them to reside, but our creations are tied to something that is already there.
>>
>>78874518
>petty Superman things like spraying the JLU tower toilets with kryptonite dust
Somebody send this to dc
>>
>>78875079
>implying Superman poops
>>
>>78873143
does anyone do 'Magnificent Bastard' better?

and is any bastard more magnificent than Lex Luthor?
>>
>>78873091
>>78873143
eww
>>
>>78874149
You are right...
I was being hyperbolic. it's decent, fun and well done, it's just that i hate how overhyped it's by some fanboys.
>>
>>78869588
Why is Luthor wearing an Iron Man armor?
Thread replies: 68
Thread images: 15

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.