[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Do we still hate her?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 80
Thread images: 11
File: mabel.png (252 KB, 900x1618) Image search: [Google]
mabel.png
252 KB, 900x1618
Do we still hate her?
>>
A little bit.
>>
>>78866296
I'm sure some still do. Mabel haters were always a small minority, and they are on their way as we type.
>>
>>78866296
I hate what a disappointment Oddpacalypse is turning out to be.
>>
>>78866818
learn to manage your expectations, especially regarding children's cartoons on disney's "Cool Kids XD" network
>>
Do I hate Mabel? No, not really.
Do I hate how she is placed as falliable moral centre that gets to criticize anyone and give advices and is never wrong despite some really dumb and immoral shit she pulls? Absolutely.
Do I think Hirsch is a hack who can't handle a character arc unless it's semi-autobiographical? Without a doubt.
>>
File: why mabel.jpg (165 KB, 635x916) Image search: [Google]
why mabel.jpg
165 KB, 635x916
>>78866296
>>
Yeah, I hate her but I hate Hirsch and the writers more. Consider that Mabel spent the whole series craving cock and offering herself to any boy or man who came near her regardless of age, race or social status. This is aparently okay. But when Dipper casually flirted with random girls that one single time it turned out to be a worse crime than Hiroshima and Nanking put together. The whole series has a severe anti-male bias.

And to make it worse it didn't start out that way but somewhere down the line it all turned to shit.

>>78866818

Seconded.
>>
>>78868566
TRIPFAG ALERT
>>
Mabel is a poorly written character. She's one-dimensional, and seems to get even flatter as the story goes by. Her entire purpose of existence is delivering random humour, which isn't really that bad, but it means she can't develop apparently. Since nobody wants to develop, she can't be challenged and face hardship - even her bad luck with boys doesn't seem to be linked with a character flaw to overcome.

She is never wrong and even when she seems like she's making sacrifice or being a butt of joke story almost always swerve to make her come on top. Like in Sock Opera where a boy who wouldn't want her because she doesn't respect his passion is outed as a weirdo or in Love God in which her arbitrary pairing seems to work perfectly and only problem is that other teens would not accept it.

Whenever Dipper's feeling come in conflict with hers she always wins and though it might sometimes be for the better of Dipper his needs or feeling don't seem to enter the equasion.
>>
>>78868987
Are you even writing your own post or do you have a scrip that uses Markov's chain to repeat the same over and over in different combinations?
>>
>>78866818
Fucking this.
>>
>>78866818
>>78869084
What's so disappointing about it?
>>
>>78866818
this.Mabel is trash but weirdmagadon is a terrible pay-off.
>>
>>78868884

To make matters worse Dipper's feelings are as strong and real as they can be for a 13 year old boy. His crush on Wendy was his emotional focalpoint. Mabel didn't have that. She was after boys, any boy would do. There was no sincerity in it except a vague desire to have a summer romance "just because." And consider that when Dipper went out to flirt he did it to get over Wendy, and he got shat on for doing so. That spells out trauma and future issues. And then Mabel essentially forces him into trying on Candy for size, despite him showing zero interest - and again him being shown as a villain when he didn't accept the advances.

There's some serious mindfuckery going on there and Mabel is actually terrifying and manipulative to the highest degree. Iron hand in a soft glove.
>>
>>78869334
Everything and it's only going to get worse from here.
>>
>>78866296
She is great and like in season one. I don't get the hate.
>>
>>78869998
basically she never grow as a character and never get shit on for everytime she make a mistake because shes so ''pure and perfect'' while dipper keep sacrifing himself for her and get treated like worst than hitler when he does mistakes half as bad as her.
>>
>>78871459
Do you think your bullshit becomes true if you parrot it 100 times?
You could say the same about Stan, he is almost evil but some anons care only about Mabel. What's wrong with you?
>>
>>78868436
I came to post this
>>
>>78871722
I'm sorry that sacrificing REALITY AND EVERYONE IN IT TO AN APOCALYPSE KNOWINGLY is a little worse than EVERYTHING DIPPER HAS EVER DONE PUT TOGETHER
>>
>>78871954
Caps lock just makes you look like a screaming idiot. You have to be totally delusional to think that she knew about the apocalypse. Your spin is just projection on stuff that isn't in the show.

You want to be mad at her and you find nonreasons for it. I just don't lnow why.
>>
>>78872211
once she was told, she knew, you retarded rationalizing apologist

It took you 10 min to come up with that and took me 30 seconds to reply, you know that was weak and your focus on the method of emphasis is childish
>>
>>78872319
You just ignore the parts you don't like. That was the point of the episode. The episode would be 3 minutes long if there was no conflict. Your rage is biased and pointless.
>>
File: _20160110_154939.jpg (151 KB, 894x894) Image search: [Google]
_20160110_154939.jpg
151 KB, 894x894
Pretty much
>>
>we
fuck off
>>
>>78871954
Hang on, she didn't do it knowingly, it was an mistake. But still, ignorance isn't an excuse
>>
>her
>>
>>78868436
>>78872951
oh no the two blandest fanartists in western animation hate her whatever will we do
>>
File: 1450812954271.jpg (81 KB, 480x480) Image search: [Google]
1450812954271.jpg
81 KB, 480x480
People still believe Mable did anything wrong, we all know it's was Frod's fault.
>>
>>78872598
>You just ignore the parts you don't like.
If I was ignoring it then what would I be mad about?

The whole fucking episode is dedicated to her denial, replacement of dipper, and cringe inducing reality she prefers. What the hell am I ignoring?

>The episode would be 3 minutes long if there was no conflict
Contrived conflict is not good story you dipshit
>>
File: 1436645493548.jpg (8 KB, 255x198) Image search: [Google]
1436645493548.jpg
8 KB, 255x198
>>78873116
>Gara
>bland

That's some shit taste you got there.
>>
>>78871722
The difference is, Stan actually grew as a character. Yeah, he's a complete as hole and almost cartoonishly evil, but that's only one side of him. In the end, he cares for his family more than anything, and is more than willing to change for them. Stan is nowhere near the same character from episode one, wheras the same cannot be said for Mabel.
>>
>>78873932
It's partially everyone's fault. Stan for rebuilding the portal and recklessly opening it to bring back Ford. Ford for building the portal in the first place, not destroying his journals when he had the chance, and telling Dipper not to tell anyone else about the rift globe. Dipper for not telling anyone else about the rift globe, leaving it behind in his backpack, and trying to skip adolescence by choosing an apprenticeship without consulting anyone else first. Mabel for trying to prolong summer so she doesn't have to face the scary unknown future alone, giving Blendin the globe in exchange for this, and trusting a morally-ambiguous stranger instead of her brother again. No one person is solely to blame for letting Bill through, but Mabel gets the brunt of it because she's the final domino in this chain, Bill gave her the reward she was promised in the form of Mabelland, and it seems like Dipper gave up his dream again for Mabel's sake.

Dipper still needed to give up that apprenticeship, but it shouldn't have felt like Mabel was guilt-tripping him into doing so.
>>
>>78868436
Accurate
>>
>>78868231
I can see this happening.
>>
>>78868436
The first sentence in and it's already clearly biased.
>>
>>78876072
It's the truth. Dipper is always wrong no matter what in this show.
>>
>>78869334
The entirety of part two left a very sour aftertaste in most fans mouth.
>>
She literally did nothing wrong.
>>
>>78873932
This
you could call mabel a horrible character all you want, but i know for damn sure that the apocalypse was not entirely her fault.
>>
>>78868436
but her pressing the button was actually a good thing
they brought back ford
>>
>>78876903
no one says she is the only one responcible

they say shes pure evil for discarding everyone, once she did know, while being the linchpin
>>
File: 2015C.png (420 KB, 521x617) Image search: [Google]
2015C.png
420 KB, 521x617
COME ON GUYS,
SHE'S TWELVE!
HOW CAN YOU HOLD HER ACCOUNTABLE FOR HER ACTIONS WHEN SHE'S TWELVE?
>>
>>78879235
WHAT
YEAR
IS IT
>>
>>78868566

Roadside Attraction will forever go down as the worst episode of Season 2 because the advice Stan gives to Dipper directly came from Mabel ALL THE WAY BACK IN SEASON 1
>>
>>78876903
Yes, but she was trying to trap everyone in the time bubble. It's not a honest mistake. It's like trying to justify drunk driving with saying you didn't expect any pedestrians.
>>
>>78879501
>Roadside Attraction will forever go down as the worst episode of Season 2

That's not possible since The Love God still exists.
>>
>>78866818
I'm with >>78869334
How bad is the series finale so far?
>>
>>78880226
Love God had weird stupid shit going on, but it has nothing on RA which isn't only unnecessary and out-of-place pushing questionable morality, it completely fail to support it.
>>
>>78879501
>the advice Stan gives to Dipper directly came from Mabel ALL THE WAY BACK IN SEASON 1
>mfw realizing this means she got Dipper screwed
>again
>>
>>78866296
Of course.
>>
>>78866296
Yes we do, we have decided for you.
>>
File: daily mabel hate thread.jpg (117 KB, 768x576) Image search: [Google]
daily mabel hate thread.jpg
117 KB, 768x576
Daily Mabel Hate Thread. Daily Mabel Hate Thread. Daily Mabel Hate Thread.
>>
>>78866296
I actually like Mabel, but it's really annoying how Dipper is always wrong no matter what.
>>
File: image.jpg (551 KB, 2400x2400) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
551 KB, 2400x2400
>people still hating on Mabel
>>
File: SE_ep14_1.jpg (180 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
SE_ep14_1.jpg
180 KB, 1280x720
>>78883967
>People still defending Mabel
>>
>>78883967
There is no way to excuse or explain away her replacing dipper with a cliche
>>
>>78884096
Gonna play devil's avocado for a sec and say that the temptations and 'atmosphere' within the prison bubble were specifically designed to entrap Mabel and, to an extent, anyone else who managed to wander in. Under normal circumstances Mabel would never replace her brother with an idealized duplicate, but within Mabeland she played both prisoner and warden, trapped within her own monkey's paw delusional wish and exaggerating her personality to its extremes.

Everything within the bubble was designed to instantly gratify Mabel. Dipper snapping her back to reality was the keystone that would let them return freely.
>>
>>78885294
when you consider what he trial was actually about your argument fall completely apart

The trial was about "Should Mable Leave the Bubble" which already assumes she knows its a bubble, and none of that rationalization takes away her responsibility
>>
>>78885388
I never said it doesn't, but the memories that were presented at the trail were specifically skewed into keeping her there. She got laughed at during picture day and watched Dipper run off in shame after receiving no valentines. Both actually had better endings in reality, but were shown to show why reality isn't worth living in and the instant gratification the bubble offered was far more preferable.

By that point Mabel was practically an agent of Bill Cipher herself, and she didn't even realize it. She knew she could end it and return to reality, but to her the paradise offered there was infinitely more preferable than facing reality outside again. That's why Dipper had his work cut out for him to free her.

Is she responsible? Yes. Should she have apologized without forcing Dipper to give up the apprenticeship? Absolutely. Would Dipper have done the same thing if he had been the one trapped in a prison bubble instead? I'd certainly bet on it.
>>
File: 100 sneak skill.gif (2 MB, 275x227) Image search: [Google]
100 sneak skill.gif
2 MB, 275x227
>>78885593
>Would Dipper have done the same thing if he had been the one trapped in a prison bubble instead?
Nope.
>>
>>78885657
This
>>
Mabel COULD have been a good character.

In the end she was barely a character at all.

Why the fuck couldn't she just get an arc?

The writers were clearly just fucking in love with Mabel and couldn't bring themselves to even consider the idea that she could be at fault for something.

Even when she does extremely shitty things it all ends up being alright because she "meant well"
>>
>>78885593
>Would Dipper have done the same thing if he had been the one trapped in a prison bubble instead? I'd certainly bet on it.

And now you clearly demonstrate your retarded bias
>>
>>78885593
>Would Dipper have done the same thing if he had been the one trapped in a prison bubble instead? I'd certainly bet on it.

You do realize if he did his argument against Mabel for returning, using the same evidence, would be way sounder, and actually have the audiences sympathy right?

she was unsatisfied with every anecdote outcome, and in every story he had it worse
>>
>>78885593

Fuck no.

Dipper already learned this lesson over and over again, he already had his character arc.

Meanwhile Mabel is the exact same fucking character she was in episode 1 of season 1, she hasn't progressed an inch. The most she has ever learned in any episode amounts to trite horseshit like "I guess nerd shit isn't all bad"
>>
>>78885695
I'm not biased towards Mabel, anon. She fucked up, and her lack of thinking is exactly what Bill needed to cause weirdmageddon. She's forgotten lessons learned multiple times throughout the series, and lessons Dipper eventually realized Mabel should've learned instead. She's easily got an all take and no give sibling relationship with her brother, and forcing Dipper to back down on his dreams in favor of appeasing her in order to release her was a cop-out.

>>78885657
>>78885695
>>78885756
>>78885791
The point I'm trying to make there is that the bubble was designed to trap Mabel specifically, and what she thought Dipper wanted wasn't what he actually wanted, which is why the Wendy snare didn't work. The hypothetical bubble I'm talking about would give Dipper lots of friends, nobody would pick on him, his accomplishments would give him recognition, and he'd have a version of Mabel and Stan who would be an idealized sister and grunkle to him. Something he would have subconsciously wanted all summer, specifically geared to appeal to him. Dipper wants to grow up too fast, Mabel doesn't want to grow up at all. Both are unhealthy mentalities to have.
>>
>>78885947
>The point I'm trying to make
No, that wasn't the point you made that every one of those responded to, and your only backtracking because you got BTFO

>Dipper wants to grow up too fast, Mabel doesn't want to grow up at all. Both are unhealthy mentalities to have.
>tu quoque
And now you are just trying to slander Dipper when you realize Mabel has nothing
>>
>>78885947
>The hypothetical bubble I'm talking about would
>let me use my explicitly hypothetical head-cannon to try and spin this so Mabel doesn't look like a family backstabbing bitch
>>
>>78885947
Dipper might have a desire to be mature but that's not really unhealthy, i would say it's the opposite. So he wants some independence and to fit in with the older kids, that's normal and better than the opposite.
>>
>>78886062
It is, but jumping to an apprenticeship while abandoning everything else at 13 years old is not. People that do stuff like this consult with their parents, advisers, friends, etc before making a huge judgement call like this. He didn't do any of that, assured by Ford that he'd take care of it instead. He's already learned not to try and grow up too fast before, and he relies on Mabel for emotional support just as much as she relies on him for rational support.
>>
>>78886341
All that relies entirely on assumption, which was stupid writing on their part to make Dipper say that's how bad his life would be, though it can and should be chalked up to him just saying it would be shit to have Mabel easier accept that she once again had him give up on something else
>>
>>78886370
It honestly seems like Ford is projecting his own issues with Stan onto Dipper and Mabel, and is assuming that Dipper is experiencing the same things he did when he was a kid and wants to be rid of Mabel. Thus he's giving Dipper the same situation he had when he was 18 and is handwaving any potential issues that may arise to encourage Dipper to take the path he wished he had taken. This is the guy who built the portal partially for the recognition, and partially to impress girls. He's not exactly the best person to raise Dipper alone through his teenage years.
>>
>>78886683
Again that's rather presumptuous, it relies entirely on the belief of many factors we dont know how would play out. Like Ford wanting to raise Dipper like that in the first place and Dipper just going along with it and never resisting or even changing Ford's mindset.. We dont know what it would be like with such complimenting yet also conflicting personalities.
>>
File: 439287423978923.jpg (20 KB, 323x294) Image search: [Google]
439287423978923.jpg
20 KB, 323x294
>Weirdmageddon doesn't fucking start by Bill having an elaborate way of tricking the family into releasing it, no he gets it by Mabel being a whiny baby for the fucking 10th time in these two seasons
>Then she gets to fucking put in a bubble of delusion and refuse to grow up as a person and take responsibility for what's she has done
>Then Dipper decides to completely abandon all of the growing he's done as a person throughout the show just so he can tie himself down to his whiny crybaby sister
Now the finale is going to be a long drawn out disappointment of a finale
>>
>>78876943
It also created the rift, which was how Bill escaped.
>>
>>78887897
the portal already had been operated
There is no indication that the second operation made the rift
>>
I don't hate her, I just kept liking her less with each episode since the start of season 2
>>
>>78880226
That and fatchasers furiously fap to him nonstop
Thread replies: 80
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.