[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
When was the last time the difference between the Big Two was
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 24
File: marveldc.jpg (176 KB, 512x574) Image search: [Google]
marveldc.jpg
176 KB, 512x574
When was the last time the difference between the Big Two was so large? I mean, quality wise.

The announcement of Civil War II seems to have cemented Marvel's downward spiral to absolute mediocrity. DC, otherwise, seems to finally stabilized itself after New 52's messy launch. They now have a considerable number of quality books, with a consistent diversity of styles. Marvel now is about all Bendis, gimmicks and relaunches.
>>
>>78865467
>considerable number of quality books
How many? Marvel has several quality books themselves.
>>
>>78865673
>Prez
>Omega Men
>bad
Don't be a faggot anon.
>>
>>78865664
>Marvel has several quality books

top kek
>>
>>78865673
>>78865724
Yeah ok. Enjoy your shit thread.
>>
I have to say, Marvel have the Mouse's protection and a tonne of safe, risk-free decompressed books.

I do prefer DC's current output, but they could use better cross-title coherence and WAY better marketing.
>>
>>78865724
The Vision
Illuminati
Squadron Supreme
Ultimates
Hulk
>>
>>78866547
>Squadron Supreme
>good
>>
I find it funny that Marvel's meaning of diversity is just printing out books with race-changed characters while DC actually has a diverse output of comic books with interesting characters regardless of race yet theyre not the ones making headlines on clickbait sjw pages and get the lowest sales. DC's entire publicity team is retarded.
>>
>>78866547
Out of those only Vision is good.
>>
>Prez is over
>All Star Section Eight is over
>Omega Men has shit sales, will get cancelled at 12
>Midnighter has shit sales, might get cancelled at 12 too

I don't know senpai, DC's near future doesn't look that great either. All their good books are with C-listers that will get cancelled soon, while their A-list books like Wonder Woman and Flash are mediocre to shit.
>>
File: Diversity and DC.jpg (637 KB, 1932x1098) Image search: [Google]
Diversity and DC.jpg
637 KB, 1932x1098
>>78866877
Last year I started to sympathise a lot with DC, because all the shit that they get when they are really putting effort on the comics.
>>
File: 1336073744027.png (16 KB, 300x601) Image search: [Google]
1336073744027.png
16 KB, 300x601
>>78867116
>JLU under Jeff Parker never had a chance
>Gotham by Midnight is cancelled and now DC has fuck all going on in their magic side apart from Constantine which is just okay, and Dr. Fate which is boring and is going to be cancelled soon in all likelihood

It's not fair.
>>
>>78867682
I quite like Constantine, but yeah it's a shame that Gotham by Midnight got cancelled too.

Being a DC fan who's not really into the A-list characters is suffering.
>>
>>78867836
>Being a DC fan who's not really into the A-list characters is suffering.
It's not really a good time to be into A-listers either, Batman and Superman are divisive, Wonder Woman and Flash are just bad, Green Lantern is middling

Some of the peripheral Batbooks are good but Bruce doesn't show up in them much
>>
>>78865664
Marvel has exactly 5 books that arent complete garbage.
>>
File: 1412779368157.jpg (43 KB, 377x404) Image search: [Google]
1412779368157.jpg
43 KB, 377x404
>>78865467
>Civil War II
>>
>inb4 marvelshills try to make it seem like ANAD Marvel isn't failing

Literally the only reason Marvel can wave around its larger market share is Star Wars
>>
Marvel has been sellout hype-men since their inception. They've been wanking moviefags since the first Hulk TV show, too. If you look back through comics history, Marvel has always been at the forefront of mediocrity, gimmicks and lowest-common denominator appeal. Sure, they've always put out quality stuff as well, but the business side has always been focused on following trends and shilling non-comics properties. You're only just now noticing it.

DC has been much more diverse and adaptable over its history, albeit slow. They look at what Marvel is doing and take their time to try to avoid their mistakes, and ultimately release more high-quality and even innovative comics (amongst a sea of shit but that's just to keep up with the monthlies), but by the time they do the trend has already been run into the ground by Marvel and only hardcore enthusiasts are still paying attention.

It's actually a direct result of the late 70's seeing a lot of people who made their names at Marvel jump over to DC in order to help "modernize" them in the same way. Most of them then either left when Marvel continued to get all the attention or just quit comics for the most part.
>>
File: Dingo-089.jpg (23 KB, 322x326) Image search: [Google]
Dingo-089.jpg
23 KB, 322x326
>>78866877
>DC's entire publicity team is retarded for not pandering to sjws
>>
>>78865467
>When was the last time the difference between the Big Two was so large?
When DC shat out the New 52
>>
>>78868084
>this stick up my ass will never come out because I love it
>>
File: 1350681624649.png (315 KB, 407x527) Image search: [Google]
1350681624649.png
315 KB, 407x527
>>78867985
>be into A-list characters, get cursed with lots of mediocre runs, editorial meddling, crossovers and events
>be into less popular characters, get cursed with cancellation and not getting an ongoing for years, which may or may not be good
Maybe comic books were a mistake.
>>
>>78868143
Why is Middy so perfect?
>>
>>78867116
>>78867682
>>78867836
>>78867985
>>78868143
Suspicious posts.
>>
>>78867682
Secret Six actually recently had a big arc trying to pick up the slack of the magic side.

They make note that Constantine and Dr. Fate are conspicuously missing, obviously because they have their own books.
>>
>>78868143

Nah, you just gotta be flexible and remember that even the worst shit that happens can always be fixed by a good writer who gives a damn about the character.

I mean, look at Hawkman. Editorial completely fucked over his character to the point where it was considered a toxic asset and NO ONE could use him for years. Then Johns stepped in and managed to fix it and make him a really good character again.
>>
All this "ALL NEW!" and "TOTALLY AWESOME" and whatnot is reminding me of the 90s. In a bad way. I want them to stop.
>>
>>78868205

Really? Neat, I'll have to look into that. I fucking love DC's magic shenanigans and I haven't had anything to scratch that itch now that Demon Knights and Phantom Stranger are both long gone, and Gotham by Midnight followed after them.
>>
>>78868205
Who's the guy speaking? I recognize everybody but him
>>
>>78867216
>Johns
>part Lebanese
>probably too white passing for people to care

Mind blown.
>>
>>78868315
Apparently Baron Winters, guy from the short-lived magic Teen Titans equivalent Night Force.
>>
>>78868205

Ah so THAT'S where Blue Devil went too.

I wish he and Black Lightning got a series together, that was a really fun arc of DC Universe Presents.

So should I pick up Secret Six from the beginning to get the story?
>>
>>78868009
Vision, Ms Marvel, Totally Awesome Hulk, ?
>>
>>78868375
He is more famous for the fact that he was in the Alan Moore Twilight of the Superheroes Proposal.
>>
>>78866877
>Midnighter
>Constantine: The Hellblazer
>Cyborg
>Catwoman
>Secret Six
>DC Comics: Bombshells
>Batgirl
>Robin: Son of Batman
>We Are Robin
>Gotham Academy
>Dr Fate
>Legend of Wonder Woman
>Black Canary

How does DC get people to actually notice that they have diversity?
>>
>>78868473
Squadron Supreme and Hercules in my opinion.
>>
>>78868526

Only other thing I can remember seeing him in was a brief appearance in Gaiman's Books of Magic, unless I'm forgetting something else big.
>>
>>78868413
Start with issue #3, the first two were weird and easy to skip
>>
>>78868262
It's a great series, if you don't get triggered over the one trans character whose tranniness is mentioned like twice over 10 issues.

>>78868413
DC is reprinting a trade of the original Black Lightning series so hopefully that bodes well for some future appearances.

Also definitely start from the beginning of Secret Six, if you haven't read them I suggest you go back and get Simone's original run of it because it's one of the best comics nobody talks about. But it's where a lot of people grew to love characters like Catman, Bane, Cheshire and Ragdoll who nobody really gave a shit about at the time.

I will warn that the first three or so issues of the New 52 reboot version are very slow. But I finally got hooked recently when Elastic-Man and Sue Dibny get reunited for the first time in the New 52.
>>
>>78868597
Get a succesful Cinematic Universe.

Most of the people on tumblr/twitter who started reading comics are MCU fans and they don't want to try anything other than Marvel. The console war mentality is real.
>>
>>78868597
Announce them on the View and make it sound like they're replacing other characters with the diverse ones even if they aren't so that they can make controversy happen

>MIDNIGHTER is GAY BATMAN
>NEW ROBIN to be BLACK, ASIAN, LATINO, ARABIC
>SECRET SIX is like JUSTICE LEAGUE but with a bisexual and a gender queer!
>>
>>78868677
>if you haven't read them I suggest you go back and get Simone's original run of it because it's one of the best comics nobody talks about. But it's where a lot of people grew to love characters like Catman, Bane, Cheshire and Ragdoll who nobody really gave a shit about at the time.

I HAVE read that series actually, thanks to a /co/ storytime thread and then found some of the trade volumes on sale for cheap at my LCS shortly afterwards.
>>
>>78868684
>Get a succesful Cinematic Universe.
/tv/ gtfo
>>
>>78867682
last dr fate issue was pretty good
atleast the artist is great even though levitz is a boring fuck
>>
>>78868597
with people on twitter thinking a dumb editor represents DC, well probably never.
>>
>>78868875

It was pretty good because it showed what should've happened like six issues before.
>>
>>78868846
It's true though, the media is sucking Marvel's dick mostly because of the movies.

Since they're so popular with normies, blogging sites tend to have a preference for Marvel.
>>
>>78868939
>fuck quality, let's make quipfest and maymays
Seriously, /tv/.
>>
>>78867116
Prez is not over, they're just waiting to see how it does in trades to see if it's going past another 6 issues.
>>
>>78869109
So far Caldwell, Didio and Russel have been insistent that the second mini is coming, but I will believe it when I see it
>>
File: 1444384795131.jpg (45 KB, 717x638) Image search: [Google]
1444384795131.jpg
45 KB, 717x638
>>78869288
>meme-book
>>
>>78868071
This. I'd lvoe to see someone take out the Star Wars numbers from their sales so we can see how awful they're really doing. I'll guarantee that DC's sales are actually higher.
>>
>>78869288
Seriously, /tv/.
>>
File: image.jpg (484 KB, 1508x1493) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
484 KB, 1508x1493
>>78869288
>meme-book
>>
File: 1409675941172.jpg (138 KB, 696x1000) Image search: [Google]
1409675941172.jpg
138 KB, 696x1000
>>78868253
I dunno man, I'm getting a lot of nostalgia from this shit right here. I loved the 90s.

Fucking Liefeld is making a Deadpool OGN while Image runs train on the industry and DC did an entire month of gate-fold covers.

Mother fucking ANGELA has a comic.

The 90s are BACK and I'm fucking loving it.
>>
>>78865467
>opinions

>Company wars shit

>fangirling

>Bendis Neverending Hatewagon

Babby's first /co/ thread, I see
>>
>>78868071
>>78869425
Star Wars accounted for roughly 1/4th of Marvel's sales figures in November.
Even without them, Marvel still outsold DC by about 1 million issues sold.
>>
>>78869520

people tend to forget that DC had a fucking incredible line-up of comics that came out in the 90's.
>>
File: u.jpg (28 KB, 638x638) Image search: [Google]
u.jpg
28 KB, 638x638
>>78869520
>>78869530
>>
>>78868473
idk, I like Deadpool. Duggan's run is pretty fun, I thought Abnett was gonna save Guardians with his Guardians of Infinity but I've mostly just been disappointed.
>>
>>78868071
>marvel's had the largest market share for decades

>this one new thing is the reason

Also
>really caring about the comics company's profitability, rather than writers or characters

Don't be that shitty, anon.
>>
>>78865467
>When was the last time the difference between the Big Two was so large? I mean, quality wise.
Yeah I know right? Marvel keeps trying to fuck up their line harder and harder, yet they still manage to be so ridiculously better than DC that it's hard to believe a company can fuck up as much as DC is doing right now
>>
I'd argue that Marvel has less books coming out than DC but then again most of Marvel's books are a dollar more expensive than DC's
>>
>>78869632
This is good bait, /co/ will fall for it.
>>
>>78869632
people just won't give DC a chance anon. DC tries but nobody cares, and the moment DC slips everyone blows it out of proportion.
>>
>>78868473
Anyone else feel like Totally Awesome Hulk is more annoying than good? It was a chore to read through the first issue.
>>
>>78868071
>>78869425
>>78869532
Or here, because fuck your dumb fanboy bullshit.

> sum(comicsnov15$Est..sales)
[1] 8368754
> sum(comicsnov15$Est..sales[comicsnov15$Publisher == 'Marvel'])
[1] 4255506
> sum(comicsnov15$Est..sales[(comicsnov15$Publisher == 'Marvel') & !(comicsnov15$Comic.book.Title%in% starwars)])
[1] 3246779
> sum(comicsnov15$Est..sales[comicsnov15$Publisher == 'DC'])
[1] 2314621

Marvel still outselling DC like crazy, even without the Star Wars license. Does it matter?
>>78869622 has the right idea.
>>
>>78869808
>FUCK YOU, SALES = QUALITY!
>>
>>78869769
I really don't get the hype either.

Girls are hot, but other than that it's pretty unremarkable. Just having cheesecake doesn't make me go "holy shit GOAT comic", I need more than that to really enjoy a book.
>>
>>78866877
>>78868083
There's a difference between raising awareness of diversity to appeal to a new audience, and being absolutely cram-it-in-your-face retarded about it.

Then again, its comics. We've always gotten extremes and 'one or the other' bullshit because moderate, middle-ground shit just doesn't sell to normies and brand loyalist fanboys.
>>
>>78868080
You're not a sellout if you never pretended to have integrity. You're a salesman.
Gimmicks are what you call hooks and premises and incentives if you don't like them. If Stan hadn't barged into Martin Goodman's office and pitched him a laundry list of "gimmicks", marvel would have gone bankrupt in the 60s, and Superman comics would still be about "Superman's Hardest Day", where Clark has to arrange for everyone to only see the uncracked side of the superman robot he has standing in for him. And what are all of dc's reboots if not the king of iffy gimmicks?

I love both companies comics- or, I did until they got rid of all my favorites- but they made each other better, and both have been putting out a steady stream of hot garbage since the beginning.

That is roughly the opinion of any grown, rational human being who pays attention to big two comics. Fanboying one company that hard is embarassing. Stop embarassing yourself.

>tries to talk rationally on /co/ in a company wars thread

I guess the idiot was really me
>>
>>78868994
He's not talking about quality you retard, he's talking about people NOTICING that there's already quality there
>>
>>78868677
Has Ralph gone back to actually looking like Ralph yet?
>>
>>78869975
>If Stan hadn't barged into Martin Goodman's office and pitched him a laundry list of "gimmicks", marvel would have gone bankrupt in the 60s
That was Jack Kirby, anon.
>>
>>78869975
I'm not saying either is inherently bad. It's just that there seem to be a lot of people suddenly realizing that behind the creators are companies focused on making money. And DC has always sold itself as a little more "for the fans" than Marvel, although the past decade that's been more "for the fanboys" than fans.
>>
>>78870072
No, which I've found kinda strange. It's not yet clear whether he's totally undercover or whether this is just what he looks like now.

I'd be surprised if he didn't go back to classic style soon, though. Simone has always been a bit of a purist in terms of continuity, and ignored the changes to every other character in every way except in terms of design.

>>78870141
No, Stan called up all his boys from the Atlas/Timely days, Jack being one of them, after deciding it was time to go gimmick-crazy.
>>
>>78870141
>>78870141
Hahaha no. I hope you're just riffing on the credit wars, and not suggesting that Jack burst into his boss's boss's office to unfire himself. That wasn't jack at all. Maybe Bill Everett, or later Jim Steranko, but it was definitely Stan that actually did do it.
>>
>>78870459
>Stan called up all his boys from the Atlas/Timely days, Jack being one of them, after deciding it was time to go gimmick-crazy.
Hi, The Sheeple. Still sucking Stan's dick, I see.
>>
When is ''Marvel fucking sucks lol DC is le best meme'' will die?

Astonishing Ant-Man
Contest of Champions
Captain America: Sam Wilson
New Avengers
Spider-Man 2099
Karnak
Totally Awesome Hulk
Daredevil
Squadron Supreme
Starbrand and Nightmask
Scarlet Witch
Deadpool
Howard the Duck
Ms. Marvel
Silk
Carnage
Hawkeye
Ultimates
Vision
Hercules
Nova

These are all good books.

Jesus. /co/ is not only immature, they also don't read comics.

But we already knew about this don't we?
>>
>>78870324
Your post is framed in preferential language.

Tell me which gimmicks you liked least! We'll find that both companies did them, without a doubt.
>>
>>78870518
>Astonishing Ant-Man
LOL
>Contest of Champions
LOL
>Captain America: Sam Wilson
LOL
>New Avengers
LOL
>Spider-Man 2099
LOL
>Karnak
This was okay but already delayed.
>Totally Awesome Hulk
I liked this.
>Daredevil
LOL
>Squadron Supreme
LOL
>Starbrand and Nightmask
LOL
>Scarlet Witch
LOL
>Deadpool
LOL
>Howard the Duck
LOL
>Ms. Marvel
It's not bad.
>Silk
LOL
>Carnage
LOL
>Hawkeye
LOL
>Ultimates
LOL
>Vision
Best ANAD, still worse than his DC books.
>Hercules
LOL
>Nova
LOL
>>
>>78870518
No, they're fucking not. Ant-Man is trash, Karnak had one awful issue, Howard The Duck is a meme book and I'm not even exaggerating.
>>
>>78870507
What are you even talking about? All I said was that Stan got a new crew together to save Marvel. Which is factual.
>>
>>78870627
>This was okay but already delayed.

Shit, I just found out the next issue is in February.
>>
>>78870662
Sure, Stan told you so, and Stan never lies...
>>
>>78870507
No, he has an actual knowledge of what the characters of those men were like.

If you knew fuck all about Jack Kirby's personality and character, rather than having just jumped on the Stan hate bandwagon, you'd know that story with Jack in the office would be ridiculous. Jack let Stan take advantage of him for decades, but now suddenly he's the out of control rebel firebrand and salesman? Please.

Jack was quiet and reserved, imaginative and a font of talent, and more likely to be passive aggressive than boisterous.
>>
>>78870518
IMO they both have a pretty sizeable chunk of books that are readable/good, but there's only a small handful of standout titles and currently it feels like DC has more of those than Marvel does

also a lot of Marvel books feel like bland interchangeable trash, DC's bad books feel less by the numbers

I'm biased though, I only read two Marvel books but I keep up with 10+ DC ones. Marvel's lineup as a whole just doesn't feel that appealing
>>
>>78870518
Only about 4 of those are good.
>>
>>78870728
>Jack let Stan take advantage of him
The rapist's favorite argument. That's my Sheeple.
>>
>>78865785

He's right you know.
>>
>>78870647
>meme book
What does this even mean?
>>
>>78870627
Tell me books you like, and I'll greentext lol after all of those but a couple, too.
>>
>>78870627
LOL isn't a valid criticism.
>>
>>78870746
What Marvel books are you reading?

I have Vision, Hercules, Squadron Supreme and Scarlet Witch on my pull. I only really like Vision though, the rest are alright. Not sure what to think of SW yet, but I want it to be good because I like Wanda and I think it has potential.
>>
>>78870807
>>78870802
>absolutely all Marvel books are good!
LOL
>>
>>78870788
Have you ever heard of Chip Zdarsky? he's a living meme.
>>
>>78870807
It's pretty descriptive of those books though.
>>
>>78868205

Is that Morgan Lefay? Why isn't every hero there kicking the shit out of her?
>>
>>78870746
That's because Marvel's developed a house style and all their titles are very same-y in tone. DC has a more diverse line up.
>>
>>78865724
I read Ms. Marvel and Vision.

And plus almost every Star Wars comic, but those don't really count.
>>
>>78868939

>It's true though

Is it fuck! Apart from Star Wars Marvels sales are shit. The drop off from the #1's is massive
>>
>>78870813
I don't think Robinson knows what to do on SW, I'll give him another go, but if #2 doesn't blow me away and is as bland as #1 then I'm not going through Dillon's shit.
>>
>>78870627
>lol at shit I don't like
>Approval of shit I like

What worthless post and opinion. Either go and explain why you dislike a title or don't post at all. This is borderline shit posting.
>>
>>78870837
It's more descriptive about your sex life teebeeeaych efeeiemm
>>
>>78867216
DC accidentally became the most diverse of the Big Two?
>>
>>78870840
Well that's what that whole part of the issue is about. There's some magic shit happening that's crazy enough to get all these douchebag wizards to cooperate.
>>
>>78870813
Scarlet Witch and Vision, and yeah I agree about Wanda

I've been meaning to check out Herc too
>>
>>78870918
>teebeeeaych efeeiemm

Did you have a stroke just now?
>>
>>78868262
Too things DC is in desperate need of
1) More Magic
2) More Cosmic

Because they only really have three representatives of both (Zantana, Dr. Fate, Hellblazer/ New Gods, Green Lantern, Legion Of Super-Heroes)
>>
>>78868413
I just want another Blue Devil run, he's a really fun character
>>
>>78870518
This is bait right? No one can legit have that bad taste.
>>
>>78870861
Only Vision really feels like something different imo. Scarlet Witch too, but I wasn't very impressed with the first issue. I appreciate the fact that it's tonally different from other female-led Marvel books though.

Marvel has too many quirky funny teen books, jesus. I'm not the type to scream "stop writing comics for people that are not me!!!", but they're going pretty overkill with this style.
>>
>>78870980
>Because they only really have three representatives of both (Zantana, Dr. Fate, Hellblazer/ New Gods, Green Lantern, Legion Of Super-Heroes)
What do you even mean by this? Zatanna doesn't have an ongoing, she never really had a long running ongoing in her entire career. The Omega Men are currently running but you're not counting them so...what are you trying to say here?
>>
File: 1417652485906.png (115 KB, 800x656) Image search: [Google]
1417652485906.png
115 KB, 800x656
>>78870755
Bravo for getting me to bother at all, Stan.
>>
>>78870929
They were always more diverse than Marvel, they just didn't advertise it though.
>>
>>78870980

DC should really play to their strengths and stay away from cosmic. I know there have been a few good cosmic titles but it's mostly shit. Magic has always been where DC excels and where Marvel fails while Cosmic is where Marvel excels and DC fails
>>
>>78871011
Yes. It's a pasta.
>>
>>78871011
>it's bad if I don't like it
You guys are the cancer killing the entertainment industry
>>
>>78871058
But Green Lantern...
>>
>>78871055
This anon gets the cigar. DC was already diverse in the days when no one ever heard of diversity in society.
>>
>>78870943
It's pretty good, I'm enjoying it so far. All the bara helps too.
>>
>>78870887
>aside from star wars, Marvel's sales are shit

You know you could keep from looking this dumb over something you shouldn't even care about with a quick glance at Comichron.com
>>
File: quality.jpg (664 KB, 1988x3056) Image search: [Google]
quality.jpg
664 KB, 1988x3056
Does DC have anything as good as this?
>>
>>78871021
SW doesn't have a different tone, it reads like regular cape. There's even a part next issue where you get the brilliant conversation of
>Why can't you just make your headache go away with magic
>Because magic always has a price, but I'm sure nobody knew that already
It's very amateurish, and considering that Robinson wants to take the title into a more mystic direction he needs to get a better grip on that tone
>>
>>78871123
>awesome facial hair bros
Is this what it feels like to be triggered?
>>
>>78871123
Injustice: Gods Among Us.

>>78871115
>no digital sales mentioned
>sales are always approximate
Bra-vo.
>>
>>78871011
What exactly are the problems with the comics he listed?
Hercules was a fresh take on the character with a great supporting cast.
Spider-man 2099 is a perfectly ok entry for the character even if it is pushing a bit the status quo from web warriors.
Starband and Nightmask while not revolutionary or new is perfect for what it is, a super hero comic book about friends copying with a new turn to their strange lives in a more "real" setting.
Totally Awesome Hulk is Cho acting like a smug asshole while punching a monster of the week, harmless fun that knows exactly what it is and does it fine.
>>
>>78871089
Pf, who cares about Green Lantern? the current run on Omega Men? Legion of Super heroes, LEGION Twilight, Hawkworld, REBELS...can't you see, these titles have never crossover over in one big event so it's shit.
>>
>>78871153
>the comics I listed
Fixed.
>>
>>78871095
That's why I want to read it, mostly

I also forgot I want to check out Moon Knight, whenever that comes out

>>78871058
but muh GL!
>>
>>78870802
>Tell me books you like, and I'll greentext lol after all of those but a couple, too.

Sure!

Justice League (For Darkseid War, which isn't great but admittedly pretty goony fun. So I'll give you a free LOL to start off.)
Omega Men
Secret Six
Vision
Legend of Wonder Woman (Which you can LOL me for as well, but it's totally cute and I'm buying it largely for my kid daughter so I have no regrets.)
>>
>>78871153
>What exactly are the problems with the comics he listed?
A-are you seriously asking this?
>>
>>78871093
Fuck yeah. DC was always more diverse. They created
>First black hero
>First gay couple in history of comics
>First hero team to address racial issues

People who worship that MARVEL cock needs to go to a gas chamber
>>
>>78868369
>white passing

You can avoid being a faggot and just say "looks white"
>>
>>78871176
I'm actually really excited for Moon Knight, those two preview pages gave me an art boner.
>>
>>78871206
Someone is as angry as desperate.
>>
>>78871153
Totally Lame Hulk is terrible comic. It's terrible set up for terrible overused jokes: the comic
>>
>>78871093
Please tell me what is so diverse about DC that Marvel is not doing, because I'm just not seeing it.

I see Marvel having more, higher profile books starring minorities and women and more books written by minorities and women, and more gay male leads at DC, but I'm prepared to be enlightened.
>>
>>78871197
Yes If they are so shit, explain why they are shit.
>>
>>78870916
>Either go and explain why you dislike a title or don't post at all.
Please, you want me to go through that long list of garbage and list why it's garbage?

>This is borderline shit posting.
Nah, I'm sure it's over.
>>
>>78871206
Holy shit anon they're just comics. Get some fucking help.
>>
>>78871123
And its good theme! Marvel is more about humor, fun,MEMES. Now its very noticeble. Which marvel ongoing is about drama, serious shit and other?
>>
>>78871235
Give examples.
>>
>>78871123

>Does DC have it's heroes trivialize everything by having meme tier dialogue ?

Nothing matters at Marvel
>>
>>78871235
>starring minorities and women just because and more books written by minorities and women just because
Fixed.
>tell me what is so diverse about DC that Marvel is not doing
Well, they began in the 1940s and 1950s...
>>
>>78871226
Which preview?
>>
>>78871360
That's more a issue with Bendis than Marvel or DC.

Go ahead and feel free to point out how much Bendis is prevalent and shitty over Marvel, I will agree with you.
>>
File: 1439178318340.jpg (64 KB, 450x338) Image search: [Google]
1439178318340.jpg
64 KB, 450x338
>>78870980
A Zatanna ongoing would be a really good idea, with the massive popularity of Harley Quinn and Starfire.

They had a whole Dark line, but it sold like hot garbage so it's all kill now except for Constantine.

They also really need to fix their Green Lantern line, it's fucking embarrassing that they could let what was once one of their biggest properties get this bad. That Corps mini coming out is a good start, but they need to get Taylor on GL full-time, get Tom King on GLC, and then leave Sinestro as it is.

The BIGGEST problem with DC right now is that Flash, GL, Wonder Woman and Aquaman are all trash right now, and those are the ones that HAVE to be doing well so that the smaller stuff like Prez and Omega Men can flourish without worrying about sales too much. They're more than ever before banking entirely on Batman and Superman right now.
>>
>>78871417
>>
>>78868727
>SECRET SIX is like JUSTICE LEAGUE but with a bisexual and a gender queer!

Wait, are we talking about Catman? Is he actually bisexual for real now? I seem to previously recall Simone saying on Twitter that she always wrote him as bisexual but DC wouldn't let her in the original run of Secret Six.
>>
>>78871441
>>
File: noooope.gif (2 MB, 293x289) Image search: [Google]
noooope.gif
2 MB, 293x289
>>78866547
>Ultimates
nigga, I support Ewing and all but that shit it's still bland as fuck and the Miss America wanking is awfull
>Hulk
meh book, only saving grace is Cho's art
>Squadron Supreme
alright
>Illuminati
still haven't read it
>The Vision
this one it's actually good, mainly because the it's the only book with a diferent tone from everything else, wich says a lot about the current state of Marvel

you can say anything you wan't about DC, at least there's variet on the kind of books they put out
>mfw current state of the Big Two
>>
>>78871275
Vision.
>>
>>78871439
Looking at sales, only Batman seems to be flourishing.
Not to shit over current Superman, I'm enjoying for what it is the current storyline and it's not even that bad sales wise, but still I'd like to see a bigger push for him.
>>
>>78871441
who will write this and when its coming?
>>
>>78871506
I don't get it, is this a joke or are you advertising your comic sale?
>>
File: secret six.jpg (289 KB, 1218x692) Image search: [Google]
secret six.jpg
289 KB, 1218x692
>>78871461
Yes.
>>
>>78871439
Aquaman is actually pretty solid, I still think it al reduces to the fact that DC can't into marketing
probably the movies will help, but it all depends on how will BvS and SS fare
>>
>>78871506

That's not even the most expensive one there
>>
>>78871505
Lemire, March I think.
>>
>>78871505
Spring. Lemire. And I really hope on him, in DC hi was good.
>>
>>78871235
>more books written by minorities and women
What minorities/women do they have?

I know Marvel's got
GWW
Bennett
Coates
Walker
Amy Reeder
Henderson
Pak
Cho
Cloonan coming up on Punisher
Sandoval
Saiz
the two chicks writing Captain Marvel
Andrade
Bustos
Pichelli
Stacey Lee
Hans
Leth
DC's got
Pak
Simone
Bennett
Valentine
Orlando
Tynion
Chu
Manapul
Walker
Cloonan
Yang
Tan
Reis
Lee
Finch
Ming Doyle
Wu
Jorge Jimenez
Ferreyra
Liew
Bagenda
Conner
Andreyko
and if Vertigo counts there's Risso, Lauren Beukes, Holly Black, Meghan Hetrick
>>
>>78871439
Man, you're ideas are all garbage.
>>
>>78871635
Yes, but there are too many writers who make good DC or indies and terrible Marvel. No hype.
>>
>>78871667
>>78871235
>minorities and women
This means they're automatically good, amirite?
>>
>>78871461
yep, he's actually bi now

unfortunately Deadshot is not in the book so no homolust
>>
>>78871635
Even his DC was hit and miss. His work on Marvel's been full on disappointing though.
>>
>>78871705
no but it means more people outside /co/ will care
>>
>>78871705
Neither of those posts said anything about quality.
>>
File: 1433388335002.jpg (35 KB, 216x228) Image search: [Google]
1433388335002.jpg
35 KB, 216x228
>>78871500
I mean Superman has never been as good a seller as Batman, at least not in this decade. Batman is on the level of Spider-Man in that it's just always going to sell well.

Superman's line is doing well relatively, though. When Johns was writing, GL would usually top it, now nobody gives a shit. It's sad, the characters that are supposed to get consistent and safe sales numbers are languishing.

>>78871506
I have an acquaintance who, when his baby was born, went out and bought the new Amazing Spider-Man #1 that came after Superior ended. His plan was that by the time the kid was 18 this issue would be worth millions.

These are the kinds of people that make every #1 do twice as well as the following issue.
>>
>>78871705
>Marvel has more women and minorities damn it!
>Um, no. Here are example-
>This means they're automatically good, amirite?
Not sure if retarded or just a shitposter. Wait, they're one and the same.
>>
>>78871741
Then stop using them as arguments, dumbkopf.
>>
>>78871671
I'm speaking purely from a sales standpoint. Taylor is a horrid writer but putting FROM THE WRITER OF INJUSTICE would get a lot of idiots to pick the book up again.
>>
>>78871760
>I have an acquaintance who, when his baby was born, went out and bought the new Amazing Spider-Man #1 that came after Superior ended. His plan was that by the time the kid was 18 this issue would be worth millions.

Wow..... so 2 years tops the industry's gonna crash because of idiots like these right?
>>
>>78871672
His x-men run good or not? After he went from DC, keep reading his image comics, but what about x-men and hawk?
>>
>>78871772
>Marvel has more women and minorities
And this is always good because...
>>
>>78871813
>Taylor is a horrid writer
I'm not the only one who thought so. Good. His Star Wars was so underwhelming.
>>
>>78871813
No it wouldn't. The people that buy the Injustice comics buy it because it's an Injustice comic, and even if they were to branch out, they'd look for characters, not other comics from the writer of the comic they just read.
>>
>>78871732
Animal man - brilliant.
Frankenstein - good.
JLD - good.
Vertigo`s comics - good.
Only JL canada or how it names was totally shit, but it bad in all sides, story, paint, ink.
>>
>>78871817
They both suck.
>>
>>78871869
Yep, this is true.

/co/ doesn't realize that the average comic book fan is a characterfag that doesn't really care about writers. It's why Spiderman/Batman/X-Men etc will always sell no matter the quality of the book.
>>
>>78871814
It's not gonna crash but it's gonna be bad, and its Marvel's fault. ANAD doing poorly is proof that you can't just keep repackaging series with #1's and expect sales to stay up, it's slash-and-burn economics. Even clueless moviefags can only be roped back in so many times.
>>
>>78871813
I'm curious to see if his GLC mini performs better than Lost Army
>>
>>78871895
Thats sad.
>>
>>78871922
Whats ANAD?
>>
>>78871894
Frankenstein was mediocre, so was Teen Titans earth One, and JLD was shit. Green Arrow was also good, as were Sweet Tooth, Trillium and Essex County. His Descender right now is good, but his Hawkeye is not very good, The Nobody was just okay and his Superboy was really damn good, Future's End was meh. JLU wasn't good, but not total shit either.
>>
>>78871869
I know that, but I really think putting a huge INJUSTICE logo on the book would get a lot of those people back. Every casual I know talks about how Injustice is better than the main DCU because it's "simpler" or some stupid shit. When I tell them something is "like Injustice" they usually are more interested in picking it up.
>>
>>78871965
All-New, All-Different. Hilarious, I know.
>>
>>78871965
All New All Dumb
>>
>>78871983
I agree.
>hey anon, want some cake?
>ugh, no
>...it's made with dog turds
>I'LL HAVE IT ALL
>>
>>78871983
What part of "nobody cares about the writer" don't you understand? People that have been reading comics for 5+ years don't care about the writer much, but someone that's only read Injustice? To make matters worse you mentioned that these people prefer the Injustice universe as a whole, so...I really don't see how you think Taylor has any star power.
>>
>>78871965
All New All Da'same
>>
>>78871976
First arc of Hawkeye was good, its hes theme - childhood and relationships. but whats going in new arc - i dont understand. All-color mandarin, twenty years later, wtf? Its very strange after tempo of first arc
>>
>>78872147
Good is an overstatement. The flasback stuff was pretty okay, but the current day shit was cheap Fraction knockoff.
>>
>>78871983
Is injustice any good? I've never read any because I'm not a gamer, and the art looks webcomic level bad.
>>
>>78865467
The big 2 are both shit, have been for years.
>>
>>78872269
It's hilarious, and bad
>>
>>78872269
It's crap; whoever tells you otherwise is a DC hater.
>>
>>78872249
Cuz Marvel dont want to lose superhype-dolla-fraction-run.
>>
>>78871462
>>78871441
>Lemire book that has a genuine chance of being good

Yeah I'm still salty about him leaving Bloodshot though.
>>
>>78872307
>>78872314
Also I was turned off by the fact that it seems like wank fodder for Supes haters.
>>
>>78872388
It is, anon.
>>
>>78872271
>have been for decades
Fixed. The 80s were 30 years ago, anon.
>>
>>78872388
not really, since EVERYBODY is stupid and out of character in Injustice

if anything it's got some wank for MOS haters but that's about it
>>
>>78872358
He did? I dropped it after two issues, it was kinda boring.
>>
>>78872358
Hope on descender and that he will grow his own universe
>>
>>78870916
Why he has to explain Why its bad, if the other didn't explained why its good?
>>
>>78872463
>EVERYBODY is stupid and out of character
It is an Elseworlds, anon.
>>
>>78872532
I know, I'm just saying bad characterization isn't unique to Superman
>>
>>78872572
Then let's say it is like Marvel's Civil War.
>>
>>78872504
Well, he front-loaded a bunch and when he came onto the title claimed to have scripts more-or-less done for about two years' worth of material. So, while he has left to become a Marvel exclusive, there'll still be more stuff he has already written coming out for a bit, but it truncates the possibility of long, extended single-writer run with the character.
>>
>>78872269
It's not high quality(except for the recent annual), but it's a fun ride, watching everyone make the worst decisions possible.
>>
>>78872659
I thought his exclusive just prevents him from working for DC, not Valiant too.
>>
>>78867216
Ditto. I gave the new 52 a try after seeing them get shit on so much online. And it became a sorta ''root for the underdog'' situation. I missed some good stuff all these years.
>>
>>78872729
I swear I read that not too long ago, but google isn't turning up much. Maybe i'm accidentally spreading around misinformation which I hope isn't the case.
>>
>>78870788
The book exists because the title character was a MCU sight-gag that Marvel hoped and still hopes will become popular because it is popular, like Deadpool.

It's literally a meme book.
>>
It was never large and they're both hot garbage at the moment.
>>
>>78871206
Listen, buddy, I'm as upset as anyone with my Time Warner stock performance, but you might want to tone it down a little bit. It's only a comic book company.
>>
>>78865467
DC has been stable for a while and actually cancelled some of their better books with DCYou (replaced them with other equally good booksto be fair)
>>
>>78865467
Nope. That are both still shit. Due to the fucking retcons all their books are gay as fuck.
>>
>>78872940
>howard the duck is an MCU sight gag
Get the fuck out casual
>>
>>78873528
>Muh "both sides are shit" meme
>>
>>78873575
Oh, it's also a symbol of Marvel's hate for creator rights.
>>
>>78873589
No meme needed.
They are both shit.
>>
>>78872940
So let me see if I follow:
Howard the Duck is a largely forgotten character from a satirical 70s comic
Howard the Duck gets a cameo in Guardians of the Galaxy and sees a surge in popularity
Marvel publishes a new Howard the Duck series, because they'd be stupid not to
That's a meme comic

That's dumb. The idea that meme comics are a thing is dumb.
>>
>>78873704
Yup, it's full of memes.
>>
>>78873704
Don't forget the Lucasfilm movie.
>>
>>78873666
>trying to push the meme
>>
>>78868597
Marvel is making and pushing heroes that are marketable on their own that the public has a point of reference for and can easily accept/remember.

Black Spider-Man (everybody knows Spider-Man)
Black Captain America (ditto)
Muslim Ms. Marvel (has the company name right there)

Most of those DC titles have no widespread name recognition, and the ones that do are Batman supporting characters.
>>
>>78873844
I was really trying to. I really really was.
>>
>>78873945
>WW
>Batman supporting character
Your brand loyalty is affecting your brain.
>>
>>78874132
Lots of people grew up with the Timmverse and do think this
>>
>>78874170
And lots of people grew up with Lynda Carter.
>>
File: dcmods.png (83 KB, 895x229) Image search: [Google]
dcmods.png
83 KB, 895x229
>>78868071
>>78869425
>>78869532
>>78869622
Yeah, I don't really think that DC's market share would be higher. I was just wondering if I was going to get banned again if I held the opposite viewpoint.
>>
Both company's have become sjw pandering garbage
>>
>>78873969
I won't let you.
>>
>>78868143
That's the big problem with the big two, most of their stuff is shit and what you actually like could be retconned at the drop of the hat for no apparent reason.
>>
>>78871429
At this point Bendis pretty much IS Marvel from all the different pots he has his fingers in. He's pretty much shaped the bulk of the Marvel universe into his own shitty vision.
>>
>>78871058
it seems so long since marvel cosmic was almost non existent and the Legion of Super heroes was popular.
>>
>>78872940
>character becomes popular through a movie = meme

Well I guess that makes Batman the biggest meme comic, ever.
>>
>>78877407
Batman became popular through a series, though
>>
>>78871481
That gif, what is the story behind it?
>>
>>78878438
I got result of some Junji Ito story. I dunno if the gif references some parts of the story
>>
>>78878438
somebody going caving via a tiny entrance?
>>
>>78878560
Thanks anon. Did you reverse search the gif? If so I didn't know you could.

>>78878561
I got that much.
>>
>>78877407
The difference is, like Antwan and Guardians of the Galaxy, once the trend is done, the interest is entirely done. Batman will almost always be popular. Howard the Duck has a series because it's a meme. It's like how we all say "you're a big guy/for you". That's a meme, a little bit that might permeate through the culture for a while and then it will go away. It isn't a lasting impression.

It's a fad. A meme. And it's just barely a meme.
>>
>>78881997
Ant-Man not Antwan.
>>
>>78870929
That's what happens when you don't hire a bunch of fucking upper middle class hipster yuppie fuckhole fedora tipping beard combing scarf twirling cumbiscuits to staff your entire fucking company.
>>
>>78869425
Then, for fun, let's take the Batman books off DC's totals and see if they still beat Archaia.
>>
File: NovSales.png (72 KB, 863x641) Image search: [Google]
NovSales.png
72 KB, 863x641
>>78869425
eh not really
>>
>>78883083
>comparing Batman with Star Wars

Seriously? Batman is a superhero and integral part of DCU. Star Wars is just a IP that Marvel uses.
>>
>>78868597
Anon what you fail to realize is nobody wants to talk about whats right, they just want to bitch about whats wrong.

Its why on the news you don't hear alot of good feeling stories or how the FDA made sure our burgers didn't contain cyanide.

If DC wants to make the news they have to white wash the comic, not do things right.
>>
File: 1452436358382.png (286 KB, 517x2102) Image search: [Google]
1452436358382.png
286 KB, 517x2102
>>78883337
Things changed in December, though. Marvel new books are free falling, while DC books remain stable.
>>
>>78873666
Maybe, but one can be less shitty than another.
>>
This thread is worse than all of /v/ combined.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 24

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.