[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Can we please talk about Miller Batman /co/? Dark Knight Returns
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 5
File: images.jpg (26 KB, 250x387) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
26 KB, 250x387
Can we please talk about Miller Batman /co/?

Dark Knight Returns has been one of my favourite comics for years. I avoided the followup because of all the negative response I've heard and the ugly artwork.

Well this week I decided to finally grab a copy and check it out since DK3 has been coming out. I unironically loved Strikes Again (even the artwork now) and wanted to know of anybody here has warmed to it in the last 15 years?

It's got strange art, it's very abstract at times and the characters seemingly contradict themselves. However it's like nothing else I've read and I find it fascinating. I can see why most have such a hate for it. Especially being a long awaited "sequel".

Also how is master race so far? Was thinking about picking up the first couple of issues. If I'm into this comic then does that mean the infamous All Star Batman is something I might want to check out now?
>>
>>78852180
>Also how is master race so far?
It's SJW shit. Don't bother.
>>
I like DKSA too, I can see why it wouldn't be everyone's cup of tea but I don't understand the frothing hatred for it
>>
>>78852180
I really don't like Master Race so far. The art is what sort of kills it.

Strikes Again and Holy Terror's art is convoluted to point where it's obviously stylized and meant to convey that his ideas are crude and raw. However in DKIII it's just piss poor and the worst I've ever seen in years; unlike previous works it just reeks of laziness. It's not bad enough to be seen as stylized (a la Jock and Frank Miller). Can't believe whoever the artist for it is can hold a professional position as an artist.

All Star Batman and Robin isn't that great either; the only way it's acceptable is if you view it as Frank just pretending to be retarded. I mean if you like Frank just putting down every superhero bar Batman than go check it out.

Aside from DKIII and ASBR I do like Frank Miller Batman including Holy Terror which really isn't that bad.
>>
>>78852421
>Can't believe whoever the artist for it is can hold a professional position as an artist.

It's one of the Kubert kids, they've never been much more than competent unlike they're dad who was fantastic
>>
>>78852791
fuck I meant their not they're

Why can't we edit out posts?
>>
File: Plastic_Man_Earth-31_001.png (410 KB, 479x456) Image search: [Google]
Plastic_Man_Earth-31_001.png
410 KB, 479x456
>>78852180
DK2 had some weird shit.
There were a few parts that scared the living shit out of me.
>When they're scaling arkham asylum to get plastic man. That whole scene almost gave me nightmares.
>When Dick was fighting Bruce and he had absolutely no remorse for what he did to him. This really cemented for me that DKR batman is a fucking psychotic sociopath.
Seriously terrifying shit.

All star batman and robin is also great with this. It's all very consistent, and I don't get the hate that these two get.
>>
>>78852837

Come now, Andy's done good work. Admittedley only with Neil Gaiman, but still.
>>
File: 1447787764560.jpg (881 KB, 1920x2951) Image search: [Google]
1447787764560.jpg
881 KB, 1920x2951
>>78853403
>>
>>78852421
I don't mind the art. I'm excited to see what comes next.
>>
im just disappointed at how absolutely lazy and sloppy miller's linework got in TDKSA

it was just garbage and i wont go into just how many pages he wasted with full-page panels
>>
>>78853403

DK2 would have been a lot stronger if the coloring wasn't shit and Miller hadn't done what he did to Dick and Wonder Woman. All Star for me just makes no sense because it's a nightmare of pacing and it never seemed like Miller had a point he was trying to make.
>>
>>78853539
I think the main point was how batman turned robin into a fucking psycho
>>
>>78853591

But why? What did that accomplish? Was it just to patch up DK2 backlash? All it did was make us sorry for Dick and make it clear how off the deep end Bruce is in this reality. And he spends every Dark Knight book making everyone else look stupid. There was no point to doing any of the stuff Miller has done to Dick, not when Bruce is allowed to do whatever he wants with no consequence to himself.
>>
>>78853591
It was how Dick was already a little psycho, Bruce just enabled him to be even crazier
>>
It's my favorite version of Batman and I don't know why. It's the only version of him that actually keeps me interested. Master Race is kind of dull so far. Maybe it's because the art is not as "unique" as the previous 2 Dark Knight books, or maybe it's because it just doesn't feel like a Millerbats book
>>
>>78853933

That sentence makes no sense. Are you talking about how he crushed Hal's throat? Because I'm pretty sure if you were kidnapped by a psychopath, told to catch rats for your dinner, trained by a crazy man who made you dress up in a costume and be his sidekick, then learn the man PLANNED TO DO THIS EVEN IF YOUR PARENTS HADN'T BEEN KILLED, that you would go crazy too.

Everything that happens to Dick is Bruce's fault.
>>
>>78853539
>if the coloring wasn't shit

Yeah it's a shame Lynn gave painting like on Ronin and DKR to try experimenting with digital.
>>
>>78852421
The colour doesn't help the art either. Colouring is the worst part of the book.
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.