[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Holy shit this was beautiful, best animated movie I've seen
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 4
File: 11181512_ori.jpg (228 KB, 800x1157) Image search: [Google]
11181512_ori.jpg
228 KB, 800x1157
Holy shit this was beautiful, best animated movie I've seen in a long time
>>
>>78851438
Can't wait for this guy's next film.
>>
Honestly I thought it was pretty crap compared to Secret of Kells.

The only really memorable scene for me was when she transformed into a seal and went swimming. There needed to be way more stuff like that and way less of her brother being a shit for almost the entire movie.

There was really nothing in SotS that could compare to this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ISFZP9fw4yU
>>
>>78851907
i haven't seen Kells. guess I know what i'll be watching next, if this was the best thing i've ever seen and Kells is better
>>
>>78851976
its a very interesting film to me, much moreso than SotS

it depicts medieval Ireland as a particularly austere and harsh land with a foretress-like christian monastary built in the middle of a forest filled with pagan spirits. Meanwhile they're preparing for a viking invasion who are depicted as godless monsters, exactly the way they were shown in manuscripts.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=--3AvyeMhmU
>>
File: 49593471_p0.png (2 MB, 1000x1200) Image search: [Google]
49593471_p0.png
2 MB, 1000x1200
I give this movie my seal of approval. Of course it's not perfect, but it was a nice story.
I remember there being something this was up against ofr some reward, and I regret not having known about it when that was happening, or I would have been upset with the rest of /co/.
>>
File: 53230967_p0.jpg (180 KB, 750x1120) Image search: [Google]
53230967_p0.jpg
180 KB, 750x1120
>>78852367
>>78851907
And I sort of agree with this anon about The Secret of Kells. At the least, I thought it felt more "mystical" and "mythical", but that's probably due to Song of the Sea being more urban.
>>
Dúlamán na binne buí
Dúlamán a' tsleibhe
Dúlamán na farraige
Is dúlamán a' deididh
>>
I saw it on a recent plane ride, it was pretty great. I remember thinking the film could be made or broken based on what they did with the owl lady and it turned out to be perfect.

>>78856232
>I remember there being something this was up against ofr some reward, and I regret not having known about it when that was happening, or I would have been upset with the rest of /co/.
It lost the Best Animated bit of the Oscars because none of the judges watched any of the entries except for Big Hero 6.

Literally.
>>
File: 49778015_p0.jpg (53 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
49778015_p0.jpg
53 KB, 800x600
>>78856336
Right, now I remember. If I recall, I think one of them said that it wasn't worth watching if it didn't preoccupy her kids, or something? In either case, such a horrible way for something like that to be decided, especially with how by the books and safe Big Hero 6 felt.
>>
>>78856232
Prepare for rage:

http://www.cartoonbrew.com/award-season-focus/proof-that-oscar-voters-are-clueless-about-animation-109456.html
>>
>>78856356
Pretty much all the judges for the Best Animated Feature in the Oscars said shit along the lines of "I don't watch cartoons because I'm not a child" or "My kids liked Frozen/Big Hero 6/the Disney film I took them to see so I'm voting for that."
>>
>>78856232
>seal of approval
>>
>>78856370
>I only watch the ones that my kid wants to see, so I didn’t see [The] Boxtrolls but I saw Big Hero 6 and I saw [How to Train Your] Dragon [2]. We both connected to Big Hero 6 — I just found it to be more satisfying. The biggest snub for me was Chris Miller and Phil Lord not getting in for [The] Lego [Movie]. When a movie is that successful and culturally hits all the right chords and does that kind of box-office — for that movie not to be in over these two obscure freakin’ Chinese fuckin’ things that nobody ever freakin’ saw [an apparent reference to the Japanese film The Tale of the Princess Kaguya, as well as the Irish film Song of the Sea]? That is my biggest bitch. Most people didn’t even know what they were! How does that happen? That, to me, is the most ridiculous thing I’ve ever seen.
>>
>>78851907
Secret of Kells felt unfinished/rushed script-wise, which really killed it for me. The visuals were amazing, but when Brendan left to travel it felt lost from there on out.
>>
>>78851438
Too bad it wasn't animated in America or Japan, so no one gave a shit to watch it
>>
>>78856336
the same shit happened with frozen iirc
>>
>>78851907
had a better plot than kells though, and its not as hollow
>>
>>78856721

That's kinda how I felt. Kells had a very nice setting and mood, but the story itself wasn't very substantial. I both like and dislike how Crom Cruach was basically just a small distraction from the real danger, and how the Vikings were basically mindless, monstrous beasts. The whole thing also makes significantly less sense if you didn't know about the Book of Kells before.

>>78856370

Not quite as infuriating as I expected - the worst one was clearly the "Chinese things" guy. The voters who mentioned liking both Kaguya and SotS, but choosing Big Hero 6 over it are interesting, but not super surprising. Given how they always seem to be mentioned in the same breath, if you're cynical enough you could interpret these people's opinion of those two movies as "that foreign artsy crap" or whatever, the stuff that you think is nice and all but OBVIOUSLY not up to par with stuff like Big Hero 6, which brings in the big bucks and entertains or American kids. I feel like it's somewhere between that sentiment and people simply voting for the safe pick. Sad, but at least not as outright dismissive as I expected.
>>
>>78856370
>The kids watched that one three times — what does that tell you?
It tells me this guy picked an award based on what his kids thought. Why not let them vote on the best movie of the year too? Jesus Christ.
>>
>>78857482

It's basically a mindset of "cartoons are made for kids and only kids can really get them", which completely goes against idea of appreciating animation as a medium like live action movies or literature. It's a really silly stance to take here.
>>
>>78857834
I don't think animated movies should even have their own award category.
>>
>>78857034
It really bothers me that these are all people who have won Oscars or been Oscar-nominated or worked with lots of Oscar-nominated people in various fields and yet have such casual disregard for the animated movies. You would think they would understand from their own work why their opinions are awful.
>>
>>78858072
Then they would never win anything.
>>
>>78858129
Well, Princess Mononoke and Spirited Away won film of the year in Japan before a separate category for animation was introduced. The latter also won first place in Berlin. So it's not impossible.
>>
>>78856336
the oscars judges are all cancerous, seriously. SOTS needed an Oscar win, and it deserved an Oscar win. Even counting every other nomination that year, every other movie deserved it more than BH6
>>
>>78858110

Reading the other quotes, it's not only animated movies. These people just cannot be arsed to give a shit in general.
>>
>>78858668
And yet they are Oscar-level professionals themselves. So frustrating.
>>
>>78858687

At least Mr. Chinese-Fucking-Things isn't pretending to actually know or care about stuff.

"I voted Maleficent because I watched it with my kid and I liked it and I thought, "Well, what the hell, man, it's got no love anywhere else in the whole deal. Let's give it something." But it really isn't something I should be voting on because I really don't know anything about costume designing. You know, we nominate our own [meaning the nominees in each category are chosen solely by the members of the corresponding branch of people who work/worked in that area], but then it goes out to the freakin' collective membership who have not a clue what anyone else does except their own shit. It shouldn't work like this. And yet I have a ballot, so I vote, you know?"
>>
>>78858793
Well he's a cunt but he's at least right about that.
>>
>>78858886
please stop.

I loved the character designs in this movie, especially how they handled the paralells between the normal and mythical worlds. I loved the parts with the dad, he was incredible.
>>
>>78858179
It is in America, where more than anywhere else on Earth, film is business, first and foremost. Animation brings in money because of children, and so it is for kids, and not to be taken seriously, as children have no taste and will watch anything.
>>
It's definitely one of my favorites. I'm gonna make sure to see the studio's next one as soon as it comes out.
Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.