[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Do you think Spawn could have a comeback in this, the new age
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 3
Do you think Spawn could have a comeback in this, the new age of superheroes in pop culture?

I think that, if Deadpool can prove the viability of R-rated superhero movies, it's pretty likely to happen
>>
Spawn is ever locked in the gritty dark edge of the 90's.

He's likely to become a villain to gain any headway.
>>
>>78847034
>viability of r-rated superhero movies
dude don't.. don't get my hopes up. we know that will never happen. hell the deadpool GAME was fantastic and nothing ever came of its existence.
>>78847089
that doesn't make sense. spawn is cool. it just aint happening and it certainly aint happening above pg-13
>>
Nah, I like Spawn but I don't see it happening, the culture has shifted to the opposite...

Spawn was popular when people wanted darker and more extreme stuff, these days people want light hearted and comedic....hence the popularity of the MCU

Deadpool is edgy sure but he also is "funny", so he can walk both sides of things

That isn't to say Spawn couldn't do decent with a new movie or something, people would see it I think and he still has niche fans....but he wouldn't become a pop culture icon like he was in the 90s with tons of merch and action figures and stuff, he'd be on a Ghost Rider/Punisher level of moderate success
>>
>>78847034
this board loses it shit over Batman and Superman not being more like MCU characters. Spawn is better off being a animated series again on Netflix. Oh how great that would be.
>>
Is Spawn even still printed? Its a shame the character hasnt been popular in recent years. Literally the last thing I heard about was a movie in development hell starring Jamie Foxx
>>
>>78847586
Near as I can tell most peoples interest in Spawn kind of dried up when the the Al Simmons VS Malebolgia story reached it's logical conclusion and then they kept going but it was a lot less interesting and the tone was different and they brought in new guys and meh
>>
More importantly, what happened to that Spawn Animation project?
>>
File: reboot spawn.jpg (130 KB, 674x1024) Image search: [Google]
reboot spawn.jpg
130 KB, 674x1024
>>78847586
>Is Spawn even still printed?

Apparently, yes, though I've heard that they've all but rebooted the series.
>>
>>78847762
Not even pretending to not be Venom anymore?
>>
>>78847130
>the Deadpool game was fantastic
It was alright at best.
>>
>>78847823
Pretty much, yeah. I was honestly thinking of naming the file "totally not venom.jpg" or "venom fucked doctor strange.jpg".
>>
>>78847762
No mouth is more intimidating than a knock off Venom
>>
>>78847762
>Mouth

You had one job, Todd.
>>
>>78847829
aw is that what happened? because I've only seen the cutscenes. was the game itself lame? god i'm tired of that happening
>>
>>78847034

He's a black character that requires heavy cg. Only way he has a comeback is if the rights are sold to Marvel.
>>
No, I don't think Spawn is making a comeback.

A lot of Spawn's edge was being violent and involving demons and Hell and shit. Violence isn't as shocking as it used to be these days. No one cares about demons and Hell because it's Christian-related, and Christian anything is uncool.

I'm personally amazed Spawn is even still in print. Are the people reading it Image loyalists or something? That's the only explanation I can think of.
>>
Unless some media mogul is willing to splurge on getting him back in the limelight, no. That he blew up at all seems to owe more to the era he was created in than the quality of his comics.
>>
>>78851857
>Are the people reading it Image loyalists

I'm sure it has a dedicated fanbase just like Savage Dragon.
>>
>>78852818
>than the quality of his comics.

I mean the art was good, both for Mcfarlane and Capullo, but the writing was never more than okay excluding those guest writer issues early on by Alan Moore, Dave Sim, and others
>>
>>78847034
I LOVE how everyone rode Spawn's dick in the 90's and early 00's, constantly talking about how he was so relevant and how traditional superheroes were outdated, when Spawn is ironically enough, a relic of the era he represented and capeshit is more popular than ever.

Eat shit, edge-lords of the 90's!
>>
spawn could totally make a comeback, but they'd have to re-tool the character. I remember back in the day there was an arc where spawn was more of a supernatural element and the stories went on around him. he was the boogeyman, the Sasquatch of the alleys. I liked spawn because the spawn world was filled with demons and monsters, but sawan was always the worst of them all. a dragon fighting dragons blah blah.

spawn the superhero/comicbook movie? nah, spawn the horror/supernatural movie? sure. just take heavy inspiration from the HBO show.
>>
do spawn have megabus or whatever are called that several issues pasted into one big book ??

i remember having till #120 and stop buyin cus lost job and all

i fucking loved the whole arc of malebolgia plan around #80 to 100 iirc
>>
>>78853169
Yeah...the 90s were SOOO lame compared to the 2010s, what with our new trends of SJW pandering and super PC heroes

God I love the millenial era! Whor rules and Miles Morales will never be considered a relic
>>
>>78847471
It should be on HBO, to get the same production quality as it did before.
>>
>>78855072
HBO isn't interested in anything that'll take money away from GoT.
>>
>>78855086
That's until the ratings start dropping. If they keep being lazy like they did last season, it's likely to happen.
>>
>>78855108
>That's until the ratings start dropping.
Not sure if that'll happen for awhile. GoT is pretty much the Star Wars of television right now. Even if that were the case, I don't think HBO would feel that a cartoon about a Hellspawn is going to be their answer.
>>
>>78855404
>GoT is pretty much the Star Wars of television right now.

I just threw up in my mouth a little. Not because I hate Game of Thrones or Star Wars. Far from it. But because I imagined GoT introducing their equivalent to Jar Jar.
>>
File: 1440756763534.gif (2 MB, 400x300) Image search: [Google]
1440756763534.gif
2 MB, 400x300
>>78847130
>Deadpool game
>fantastic

Did we play the same game? Because it was awful.
>>
>>78853169
It is ironic in hindsight. It's like once people finally saw how shit the 90s-new millenia edge was, he practically stopped existing entirely. Like an old fad that you look back on and cringe at
>>
>>78847034
He could, but it would require a lot of overhaul.
>>
>>78847034
>No one knows there's a movie in production

Yall slipping
>>
>>78850447
The gameplay is very average, and it relies a lot on the charm of the character and good writing to pull it through. Unfortunately, that doesn't stop it from being coming repetitive.

I don't regret buying it, but I only payed $10. If I had bought it at launch I might not be so kind to it. That said, it's definitely not a terrible game, but outside of the humor nothing about it stands out.
>>
>>78847622

Actually it went off the rails. It continued the child plot from the show, World ended in armageddon, serious shit went down and Spawn wound up king shit of everything.

Then it revealed the truth about Al, and it disgusted me so much I eventually stopped reading around the new guy. It felt like such a shitty way to end his arc.
>>
>>78857447
O the brightside, if they ever did get their own Jar Jar. They'd probably decapitate him or something within 2 episodes.
>>
Fuck Spawn, what would be nice to see is a R-rated Mask remake that's closer to the original comic.
>>
>>78857832
>charm of the character and good writing
Neither of which were in the game, because it's Waypool at its worst.
>>
>>78858154

>implying we'll get anything Mask ever again after Jamie Kennedy
>>
>>78858181
That never happened.
>>
>>78857790
Let's be honest...about 10 percent of anything Todd says is going to happen actually happens, I'll believe it when I see it

>>78857327
It really wasn't, it wasn't a great game but "awful" is pure exaggeration. It was a pretty decent run n gun/hack n slash with light RPG elements
>>
>>78858477
>decent
It was dull garbage gameplay-wise with unlistenable dialogues and terrible humor. It's a terrible game.
>>
>>78847034
>Do you think Spawn could have a comeback in this, the new age of superheroes in pop culture?
Todd tried to reboot the animated series again.
Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.