[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
The Lion King has been called one of the greatest animated films
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 5
File: l.jpg (212 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
l.jpg
212 KB, 1024x768
The Lion King has been called one of the greatest animated films of all time.

Do you agree?
>>
File: simply the best.jpg (48 KB, 850x484) Image search: [Google]
simply the best.jpg
48 KB, 850x484
Of course, any cartoon with Zazu is good
>>
>>78842895
i felt that way at the time. it was my instant favorite movie
i assumed movies would keep getting better though, having grown up on little mermaid, beauty and the beast, etc before lion king.. i had no idea quality would suddenly plummet and we would get pocahontas, hercules, and emperor's new groove before finally they just stopped even trying

tangled was a nice little look back into the good days, but finding out it was also a 90s movie that was just severely delayed in its production.. yeah. We're hosed.
>>
Absolutely.

The opening sequence and the motherfucking stampede scene are two of the best, most iconic moments in general cinema.
>>
>>78843008
>but finding out it was also a 90s movie that was just severely delayed in its production.
Holy shit really?
>>
>>78843008
>emperor's new groove
>bad

Get a load of this pleb.
>>
>>78843008
>hercules
>emperor's new groove
>bad
fag
>>
File: coulCsp.png (182 KB, 900x607) Image search: [Google]
coulCsp.png
182 KB, 900x607
>>78842895
It's always been one of my favourites. It really succeeds at telling a classic story arc with a very strong, interesting style. The colour pallet, the animation and the music all make you feel like you're in a truly animal world.

Whether it's the best or not is debatable. Beauty and the Beast, The Little Mermaid and Aladdin were all triumphs in their own ways, too.
>>
>>78842895
>Do you agree?
Of courshe. Easily the best Disney of film of the Renaissance Era, with Beauty and the Beast as a close second.

"Can You Feel The Love Tonight?" is also the best Disney love song.
>>
>>78842895
very impressive for a kimba clone etc
>>
>>78842895
Jeremy Irons as a villain. Enough said.

But in all seriousness it was just really good.
>>
>>78847833

This desu.
>>
>>78842895
yes, its hard to find fault with it
>>
Disney put out better films that decade, let alone including all studios in all of time.

Hell, I would say that if you put every Pixar movie into a bag and picked a random one out, you have a good chance of picking a movie better than The Lion King.

Still, it is a good movie. It has moments of greatness- the opening sequence, the scene with Simba and Mufasa at night, most scenes with Rafiki, the ending ascension to Pride Rock, and some fantastic songs. But these are punctuated by some pretty terrible stuff, like Timon and Pumbaa singing about flatulence, and Rafiki/Timon/Pumbaa being used comedic foils to the otherwise emotional final conflict. Altogether, it makes a film that is too tonally at odds with itself to be truly great, but I still like watching it from time to time.
>>
>>78842895
Certainly some of Disney's best. But its still far below the likes of The Secret of NIMH, The Land Before Time, All Dogs Go to Heaven, and An American Tale.
>>
Liked the first one, didn't care for it's sequels.

Personally, Tarzan made me feel more with the death scene.
>>
>>78842895
I agree that it is *one* of the greatest. Is it *the* greatest? Nah.
>>
>>78853075
I don't think complaining about its sidekick comic relief characters is really fair if you're talking about Disney movies. They're fucking awful in just about every Disney movie. I remember liking Pain and Panic a little more but its been so long since I watched Hercules, I can't say if they were good or not.
>>
>>78843040
Technically, Rapunzel was one of several fairy tales Walt Disney wanted to make after Snow White and the Seven Dwarves, along with The Snow Queen, The little Mermaid and Sleeping Beauty. He decided against Rapunzel however because he was worried about how difficult it would be to animate THAT much hair. They did do some conceptual art for the Snow Queen though, which was brought out of the vault when they started working on Frozen.
>>
>>78842895
I never saw the big scream about this movie. I thought it was lesser than Aladdin, Beauty and the Beast and The Little Mermaid. I'd also rate at least a quarter of the full list of WDAS movies higher than it.
>>
File: 1340559605998.png (69 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
1340559605998.png
69 KB, 500x500
>>78853075
>Disney put out better films that decade
>>
>>78842895
I wouldn't even put it in top 50, it only had two good scenes
>>
File: WDAS films.jpg (741 KB, 1000x900) Image search: [Google]
WDAS films.jpg
741 KB, 1000x900
>>78856395
While I feel it is highly overrated, not in the top 50 is hard to believe since WDAS has only had 54 movies. That would mean that out of the 4 movies not on the list, The Lion King is one of them and there's at least 10 I can think of that are worse than TLK.
>>
>>78856513
Op said 'greatest animated film of all time' not 'greatest animated disney film of all time'
>>
>>78856541
Fair enough, my mistake.
>>
>>78842895
No.
>>
>>78856272
Rapunzel seemed like a "90's" Disney film because Glen Keane built it from the ground up after Disney kept fucking him over. He put so much effort into making it watchable he chose to retire afterwards because he thought "fuck doing that again".

Seriously, you read what Disney wanted the film to be at times and it's impressive how little he listened, then in the end he gets a Producer credit and nothing more.

>Film is put into pre-production in 1996 with Glen at the helm
>Disney announces it's called Rapunzel Unbraided in 2003
>Glen is told it'll be released in 2007 and they want it to be like Shrek
>In 2005 they push it back to 2009 because Eisner barges in and decides it should take place in San Francisco and then teleport the characters to a Fairy-Tale world (later subverted to make Enchanted)
>They get pissy that he can't turn this shit into gold and plan to can the project
>Lasseter revives it and asks Glen to stay on
>Glen has to step down in 2008 from directing because he had a heart attack
>Stays on as producer and supervising animator, ends up still doing most writing, directing and practically animates Rapunzel (the character) himself

But instead the people who made Frozen will get credit for this next "Renaissance".
>>
>>78842895
Zimmer's score tied the whole thing together

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VUM9qkHn5u0
>>
>>78853521
Don't you have a Kickstarter to fail, Bluth?
>>
>>78857193
What happened to Zimmer?
>>
>>78857296
What do you mean? He's still making killer tracks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EaJHFxCYUjI
>>
The opening sequence was what made it for me.
Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.