[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
The Year Ahead: Ideas for an ailing DC in 2016
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 32
File: superman_wonder_woman.jpg (52 KB, 768x433) Image search: [Google]
superman_wonder_woman.jpg
52 KB, 768x433
http://www.comicsbeat.com/the-year-ahead-ideas-for-an-ailing-dc-in-2016/

>The past few years have been difficult for DC Comics. Since the boom of the New 52, which per DC’s own estimates increased their readership by 25% in terms of lapsed readers and 5% of new readers, things have gotten a good deal uglier. In November 2015, DC held a retail market share of 26.35% to Marvel’s 43.2%. If it wasn’t for Dark Knight III: The Master Race, DC wouldn’t have even appeared in the Diamond Top 10 that month.

>Here are some ideas:

>DC “Unlimited”
>“Batgirling” isn’t a bad word, it just can’t be your only word
>Build Up Creator Diversity
>Steal a big name
>Sync up with the live action media better, or at all
>Bring the heroes back to Vertigo

How would you fix DC, /co/?
>>
>>78770653
>comic book websites are full of failed creators who wanted to work at DC
YOU DON'T SAY?
>>
>>78770653
They're putting out good comics, as far as I'm concerned, there's nothing to fix.
>>
>>78770653
>>Build Up Creator Diversity
Is this a joke?
>>
>>78770653
>Build Up Creator Diversity
I don't want to know what this is.
>>
>>78770749
Good comics =/= good sales
>>
>>78770812
>fuck quality, I want my capes to sell millions
Fine, go buy more Marvel.
>>
>>78770653
Didn't they do most those things and fail?
>>
>>78770812
sales don't impact me, I don't make money off the comics selling better.
>>
No
>>
>>78770812
From a reader/fan's perspective, sales are meaningless.

Especially when series like Multiversity and Prez are going to be regarded as classics from this era for decades to come.
>>
>>78770865
Remember that Comicsbeat is a Disney property.
>>
File: 1452136839340.jpg (637 KB, 1932x1098) Image search: [Google]
1452136839340.jpg
637 KB, 1932x1098
>>78770653
Just redo DCYou, but this time use the Marvel method. Seriously, that's all they have to do to unfuck themselves.
>>
>>78770837
sales determine the direction a company will go, whether you like it or not. If DC wants to keep publishing series, those series need to sell.
>>
>>78770653

You mean, like what they already have done?
>>
>>78770937
Yeah, and those series that sell well you will call them good, right?
>>
>>78770793
it just means hire writers from a variety of backgrounds so that all your stuff isn't coming from the similar imaginations of similar people

what it actually means is 'I'm 1/8th cherokee, 2/5ths russian please hire me'
>>
>>78770929
>this time use the Marvel method
Pander to sjws like there's no end?

>>78770992
Hire more foreign creators because they're cheaper?
>>
>>78770992
Are you a moron? see >>78770929
>>
>>78770937
DC are sticking to their guns for the time being, which is admirable.

I meam come on, Omega Men got uncancelled.

Also, they probably make a lot of money off of trades and digital series, so floppies don't have to be their biggest concern.
>>
>>78771028
So that website is telling DC to go full tumblr. I knew it.
>>
>>78771040
Don't respond to it.
>>
>>78770978
NOt necessarily, but I'd like for them to find a way to prevent them from getting cancelled. If they can get more people buying DC in general, then more people will probably pick up critical darlings like Omega Men.
>>
>>78770937
..."no, it is clearly the kids who are wrong"
People should be buying what right thinking people tell us there is a demand for, and not buying things that we dropped, dispite sales, when we were pressured to! Why aren't people doing what they should do, some one should make them!
>>
>>78770653
FUCK THAT SHIT!
Suicide Squad movie Quinn was the worst!
Fuck these idiots! I bet their the same drooling autists that love Kitty Pryde saying OOGA CHAKA!
>>
>>78771122
You can't knock on people's doors, shove comics down their throats and then go through their wallets and forcefully take out the money those comics are worth.
>>
>>78771168
see
>>78770915
>>
>>78770653
Pull and keep some big name writers and push their work.
They scared off Rucka and Waid. Morrison isn't writing another big two book any time soon.

Scott Snyder is good. I think he might have a bit too much creative freedom, but he's a good writer.
Tom King needs to stick around. DC will lose him to Marvel if they don't offer him an exclusive contract and a big name title. I love Dick Grayson, but he's never going to be at the center of the DCU.
Gene Yang is a good get, but this depowered superman story is ass.
They need to find Brian Azzarello and get him back on a book asap.
Max Landis should stay. He's high profile and American Alien is good. Get him another vanity project or lock him down on a monthly.

A decade ago they were more open to risks. Remember the SOLO series? What about Wednesday Comics. Could you see the Kyle Baker Plastic Man title getting published today?

I blame Bob Harras for basically every shitty idea over the last 5 years.
>>
>>78771168
>Suicide Squad movie Quinn was the worst!
>was
This board never fails to shitpost. The movie's not out, numbnuts.
>>
>>78770906
>>78771168
If you read the article, he's talking about creating a side series that would follow TV/movie universes like how Injustice has an ongoing. I don't see an issue with that especially if it gets more people to buy comics.
>>
>>78771264
nice pasta, bitch.
>>
>>78771122
C-listers never sell anon. It's not about quality, it's about popularity.
>>
>>78771264
>Morrison isn't writing another big two book any time soon

Wonder Woman Earth One? Multiversity Too?
>>
>>78771295
But they already have digital books dedicated to various shows.
>>
>>78771295
Fuck the article, plus that's already been done with Arrow 2.5, Flash Season Zero and Green Lantern and Man of Steel tie-in comics.

And they're doing another book for Arrow.
>>
>Ideas for an ailing DC in 2016
Hire a better PR team. That's it.
>>
>>78771465
They didn't pander to you?
>>
>>78771465
To do what?
>>
File: Omega.png (4 KB, 679x37) Image search: [Google]
Omega.png
4 KB, 679x37
>>78771122
>Omega Men is selling worse than Bob's Burgers the comic

There's nothing DC could do to save it
>>
>>78771505
Promote their comics, of course.

Go the Marvel way and shill the new hip comic on national television.
>>
>>78770653
DC already did that and still failed.
What DC needs is 1) better marketing and better PR 2) a movieverse for Normies to push comics
And even then it won't mean DC will beat Marvel since Marvel is just a juggernaut. They've established themselves as the progressive Obama of comics and people buy their comics and #1s no matter what. Even if every DC comic was a 10/10, only Batman and Harley Quinn would sell higher compared to Marvel. And even then Marvel still ha Star Wars.
>>
>>78771596
It's not working for Marvel either. Most of their money comes from Star Wars shit, and they're not doing a great job promoting them, they just sell because swfags dig up and eat up anything star wars related.
>>
>>78771596
>Go the Marvel way
Your brand loyalty is showing.
>>
>>78771264
Len Wein is on Swamp Thing
>>
>>78771608
Nice pasta, bro.
>>
>>78771675
It really isn't, the only current Marvel comic I'm reading is Vision. I have about 10 DC comics on my pull list right now.

It's a fact that Marvel is better at promoting their shit. They're absolute media whores with no integrity that shit on their fans constantly, but somehow their method works. Maybe DC should learn from that if they want to sell more.
>>
>>78771816
>DC hater gets spotted
>"B-but I love DC!"
Every. Fucking. Time.
>>
>>78771816
You would think with Kevin Smith being buddybuddy with DC, they could strike some sort of deal with AMC, or SOMETHING.
>>
>>78770653
>How would you fix DC, /co/?

I would say "publish good, creator driven comics," but DC already started doing that with good shit like Prez, Omega Men, and Twilight Children.

I guess just get better fans who appreciate quality instead of just buying anything with Wolverine or Harley Quinn on the cover. Maybe kill all of the comic-buying populace and start fresh.
>>
>>78771938
Yeah, but you'd probably hate it.
>>
>>78771671
>>78771675
It's pretty objective that Marvel is selling way better than DC. Any exec would love a piece of that pie
>>
>>78771920
>DC hater
>wanting DC to have better sales on failing books I like makes me a hater
Sure buddy.
>>
File: 54m30s203.png (287 KB, 640x585) Image search: [Google]
54m30s203.png
287 KB, 640x585
>>78771978
>just get better fans
At last, someone found the right solution.

>>78772007
We know, shill.
>>
>>78772043
>wanting DC to be a Marvel clone
Fixed. Only a DC hater would wish DC a fate worse than death.
>>
File: image.jpg (2 MB, 1988x3056) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2 MB, 1988x3056
>>78771264
>Max Landis should stay. He's high profile and American
Uhhhh how about NO. NNNOOOOOO.
Max Landis is shit. He makes Superman needlessly edgy and grimdark. And he's had controversy being a sexist and calling female characters Mary Sues because they are competent and not bimbos like he wants.
DC should fire his sexist edgy ass an get someone less edgy and sexist who can make Superman more like Ma Marvel or Hellcat.
>>
>>78772139
Hi tumblr.
>>
>>78772139
You're overdoing it, put more spaces between the buzzwords
>>
>>78772099
I don't want them to be a Marvel clone, I just want them to have succesful PR like Marvel.

Marvel has good marketing and shit comics. DC has good comics and shit marketing. If they get better at marketing, that doesn't mean their comics will suddenly turn to shit.
>>
>>78771978
You're so naive it hurts. The comic book reading crowd is not mainly full of smart people, y'know? the 90s had some of the most innovative comics with creators given enough freedom to do great things and yet that decade is still remembered for all the extreme fads, the hologram covers, Superman dying and X-Men garbage, and you know why? Because that's what sold back then, not Shade The Changing Man, not Flex Mentallo, not Spectre. DC recently got Neil Gaiman to do another Sandman mini and put JH Williams III on art duties and that didn't sell much, it'll probably do well in trade, but trades don't sell that much to begin with.

Omega Men isn't selling badly because people don't know about it, it's doing poorly because most people that re into comics don't like that type of a comic book. And a lot of people that are interested in it will just trade wait it, especially since it was announced that it'll all get neatly collected in one single trade.
>>
>>78771264
>They scared off SJWs
Good.
>Morrison isn't writing another big two book any time soon.
Oh, he is. WW.
>Tom King needs to stick around. DC will lose him to Marvel if they don't offer him an exclusive contract and a big name title.
King will move to Marvel the day his talent dries up.
>They need to find Brian Azzarello and get him back on a book asap.
Why do you hate DC so much?
>A decade ago they were more open to risks. Remember the SOLO series? What about Wednesday Comics. Could you see the Kyle Baker Plastic Man title getting published today?
Did they sell enough? Because /co/ says that sales = quality.
>I blame Bob Harras for basically every shitty idea over the last 5 years.
Oh hi Waid.
>>
>>78772056
>We know, shill.
How fucking paranoid can you be? I don't even read Marvel but I want DC to sell better and ignoring the fact that Marvel is succeeding in that area is just being ignorant.
>>
>>78772245
>marketing is more important than quality
You should get a job at Disney.
>>
>>78772007
Do you read the posts you reply to?
>>
>Shazam ongoing by Johns
>Tom King in charge of Green Lantern mythos
>More Morrison books
>Try and snag Hickman to do Justice League. He's not that busy at the moment.

Off the top of my head that would make me buy more DC books. Right now all I buy is Omega Men. I even dropped Grayson after a while. DC needs to step the fuck up.
>>
The DC A- list heroes already has Icon Status.
While marvel builds them more as teams.

They can start by taking a risk with the unknown ones and making them fresh again.
>>
>>78772320
Where did I say that? Are you trolling or actually clinically retarded?
>>
File: lex.jpg (68 KB, 468x436) Image search: [Google]
lex.jpg
68 KB, 468x436
Find a way to regain trust with talented artists/writers in the industry

One of the biggest mistakes of the New 52 was that it was way too alienating for most people in the industry. Heck, Alex Ross is STILL pissed off and only does work for Vertigo series. Really makes DC seem like a dumbass when he's drawing the covers and designs to the rival's big crossover event while theirs sells like shit

DC needs their own Ultimate Universe. They need a place for talented dudes and dudettes to write whatever they want to write. Hell, this'd be the perfect time to take advantage of the UNIVERSAL REBOOT and have all the potential worlds from both Multiveristy and Multiversity Too being used to their fullest extent

Once they win back their talent, they'll be hot again
>>
>>78772043
Not him but the exchange went like this
>DC isn't doing well, they should do what Marvel does
>So you like Marvel better?
>Oh GOD NO! They're disgusting!
>And you want DC to be disgusting too?
>Sh-shut up!
>>
>>78772298
>I don't even read Marvel
You said you read Vision. Next time pay more attention.
>>
>>78771465
DC could use some buzz about new comics. Not necessarily going on the View like Marvel but a little something to promote a new series. The last thing I remember seeing advertised is Star Fire
>>
>>78770653
You know what'd probably help DC? The media giving them a fair shake. I'm not even a DC fan anymore but the media spent the first few years after the relaunch shitting on them at every opportunity and only covering their stuff in a negative sense while talking up Marvel because Marvel's cool and more outwardly "diverse".

So they're going "DC is dead" in one breath while going "why is DC dying" in the other.
>>
>>78772266
I dislike everything you just posted.
>>
>>78772332
>>Try and snag Hickman to do Justice League. He's not that busy at the moment.
Eww fuck off
>>
>>78772393
>DC needs their own Ultimate Universe
It's called Injustice: Gods Among Us.
>>
>>78772332
>>Try and snag Hickman to do LoSH

Ftfy
>>
>>78772393
>DC needs their own Ultimate Universe.
Earth One is close enough
>>
>>78772393
They don't need to win back "talent" aka old talent less hacks, they've done a great job at plucking up and coming creators and giving them work.
>>
>>78770653
Marvel was doing so poorly several times in their past they had to sell the rights to their characters for as little they could manage.

They sold the rights to Man-Thing.

DC has been in similar situations.

Comic companies adapt, they'll be fine on their own.

Personally, though, I'd expand Vertigo. It's basically what sells in Image and other stuff.

For the superhero stuff, get back to the fucking core ideas. People don't want Jim Gordon as Batman. People don't want Superman with no powers or they'd be reading Booster Gold.

Some of these characters have such simple premises, and sure they don't seem awesome, but they sell, and it's what the fans like.

Fans like Batman solving crimes and putting bad guys away. Fans like Superman being powerful and still going up against overwhelming odds or being outsmarted and STILL doing the right thing and winning. People like Green Arrow copying Batman but pretending to be unique. People like Green Lantern (for some reason) having huge cosmic events every six months (PROVIDING THEY DON'T LEAVE THE GREEN LANTERN COMICS). Do that.
>>
>>78772265
Maybe we need to appeal to the kind of comic-book fans who actually appreciate quality, and don't just buy shit due to its brand recognition. I wonder if the Big Two could bridge the gap between mainstream and indie/alt comics and get people who typically read stuff like Fantagraphics and D&Q on board.

Although that'd be hard, because I feel like the reason those people read that stuff isn't only because it tends to be better written, but they just aren't interested in capes, no matter how well-written they are. The same way I'm not that interested in manga, so even knowing that there's probably great stuff in the medium hasn't really motivated me to try it.
>>
>>78772417
I remember seeing some really poor ads on youtube.
They need to plug it in during Flash and Arrow and Supergirl.
>>
>>78770992
No, it's because DC has a more diverse list of creators and it's not just "women writing women characters" or "black writes the black character". From a creator standpoint DC is more diverse than Marvel but like a lot of things Marvel makes a big deal of it and has their own Special Brown Waifu Lady to throw out to the media as a PR gimmick while DC keeps quiet so Marvel's way better and more diverse.
>>
>>78772397
They can be as disgusting as they want in their PR methods, as long as their comics are still good.

I really do not give a shit how they promote their comics, I just want them to be good and to sell.
>>
>>78772510
No thank you
>>
>>78772410
I never said that?
>>
>>78772526
>Fans like what I say they like
Fixed.
>>
DC just needs names on their books. Most people buy books because they like the writer.
>>
>>78772397
Lol. The guy said "Market like Marvel," not "have similar content to Marvel."

I can't tell if Company Warz fags are autistic, illiterate, or both.
>>
>>78772541
But casuals don't buy floppies.
>>
>>78772526
Vertigo has a lot of great titles right now, but being owned by DC makes the imprint dead for hipsters. And since cape kids don't care about anything that's not superheroes punching super heroes then it doesn't sell.
>>
>>78772526
>Some of these characters have such simple premises, and sure they don't seem awesome, but they sell, and it's what the fans like.
I'm pretty sure that's why JLA did so well, it's the flagship team in their regular costumes doing comic booky stuff lime time traveling and punching gods in the face
>>
>>78772465
It'd be better than Johns' tripe.
>>
>>78770907
Poor sales means good series get cancelled, or that they don't get reprinted, or that editorial steps in to screw things up
>>
>>78772583
No, most casual fans are characterfags. It's why Batman/Spiderman/Harley or whatever will always sell no matter how shit the comic is.
>>
>>78772615
Then explain Marvel's sales.
>>
>>78772643
Shitman pls
>>
>>78772615
TV casuals do, it's the movie ones who don't

http://www.newsarama.com/26070-do-comic-book-tv-shows-sell-comic-books-retailers-weigh-in.html
>>
>>78772526
>People don't want Jim Gordon as Batman
I don't like JimBats, but he's selling just as well as Bruce did. All casuals care about is that the comic says "Batman" on the front.
>>
>>78772547
PR doesn't sell you moron. Marvel's been promoting Carol like crazy for years and her comic still sells like shit.Their best selling comics are the shit they don't promote.
>>
>>78772682
Sales charts simply say how any copies they sold TO SHOPS.
>>
>>78772547
>They can be as disgusting as they want in their PR methods, as long as their comics are still good.
>I really do not give a shit how they promote their comics, I just want them to be good and to sell.

You really think /co/ wouldn't throw a tantrum if DC marketed their books by saying "this one has a diverse creative team, with a POC artist and an LGBT writer"?

You have way too much faith in these people.
>>
>>78772526
how am I supposed to read booster gold when he doesn't have any comics?
>>
>>78772721
Explain Whor then.
>>
>>78772614
And he also said Marvel's PR methods are disgusting. Pay attention, dumbass.
>>
>>78772739
>POC
Remember when this meant "piece of crap"?
>>
>>78772643
No.
>>
>>78772731
Uh, okay, why would all these shops continually order floppies in quantities they aren't selling, instead of adjusting their ordering to market demands?

Do shops just order more Marvel than DC every month for fun?
>>
>>78772468
but they should make it not shitty
>>
>>78772759
Shit taste? There's not a good job done on promoting it, it just sells.
>>
>>78772739
Who cares what /co/ thinks? 90% of this board doesn't even read comics and a lot of those who do just pirate their shit. Do you really think /co/ throwing tantrums would affect anything? If it went like that, Marvel would be bankrupt right now.
>>
>>78772815
You're the specialist here, you tell me.
>>
ZATANNA
SOLO
RUN
WHEN
>>
>>78772768
They are disgusting, but they're effective. If that's what it takes for DC to sell, then so be it.

I can ignore disgusting marketing if the books are good.
>>
>>78772768
I'm pretty sure he was also the guy who says that he doesn't care if they are "disgusting," he's just saying how DC could sell better.
>>
>>78770653
DC fails at everything, no surprise there. Maybe they should of actually tried putting effort into making progressive and diverse comics with progressive and diverse creators instead of half-adding it like the MRAs they are.
I think DC should just give up and let themselves be bought out by Marvel at this point. That way Marvel will fix the mess the DC universe is and reset to pre-52 crisis earth. Then put Bendis on Superman. And then we'll finally have a Legion book and crossover with Guardians of the Galaxy.
>>78772139
Also this. Hiring someone as problematic as Max Landis who hates female characters was NOT a smart move on their part.
>>
You morons do know that the majority of sales for Marvel come from Star Wars, right?

You morons do know that some titles have 10 variant covers and comic shops are forced into buying more copies of certain titles for the variant, right? It's actually why you get horror stories from anons.
>>
>>78772909
>I can ignore disgusting marketing if the books are good.
But what if the general public doesn't?
>>
>>78772931
>they should of actually tried putting effort into making progressive and diverse comics with progressive and diverse creators instead of half-adding it like the MRAs they are
This is bait, right?
>>
File: 1441564272923.png (42 KB, 446x373) Image search: [Google]
1441564272923.png
42 KB, 446x373
>>78770653

SJWs have gone too far this time.
>>
>>78772971
>not filtering Honorary Retard, the LoSH fan who never read any LoSH
>>
>>78772893
You have to talk to Dini about it
>>
>>78772971
Yes.
>>
>>78772862
It's just different fans, man. DC fans would think it's stupid if they advertised so and the Marvel fans already prefer the Marvel shit so they won't pick up a DC comic because of the disgusting marketing, just different fans, man. When Marvel pisses off Spider-man fans they buy more comics, when DC pisses of batkid fans they throw tantrums and try to get people to boycott DC.
>>
File: 1445317014195.jpg (29 KB, 210x230) Image search: [Google]
1445317014195.jpg
29 KB, 210x230
>>78770653
>>
do what marvel is doing and get rid of all cis white males
>>
File: 1368201512128.gif (1 MB, 853x480) Image search: [Google]
1368201512128.gif
1 MB, 853x480
>>78773018
I'm going to try and summon him.

Inid Luap
Inid Luap
Inid Luap
Damn it I would legit actually buy issues of a new Zatanna. I bought fucking blood spell and that was so "eh".
I'd also kill a small child if we got "The adventures of Zatanna and Misty"
>>
>>78772266
>Oh, he is. WW.
How is wonderwoman? I've never read her before outside the JL new 52. If I jump in at New 52 #1 is it a good read? How long will Morrison be on it for? Is she on the main earth?
>>
>>78773057
They already did that.
>>
File: cool kid2.png (201 KB, 254x316) Image search: [Google]
cool kid2.png
201 KB, 254x316
>Bring the heroes back to Vertigo
>>
>>78773091
Read New 52 Wonder Woman #1-35 and her Secret Origins issue. That's all that's worthwhile.

Morrison is writing a Wonder Woman OGN set in the same universe as Superman: Earth One and Batman: Earth One.
>>
>>78773160
>cool kid2.png

Okay mister. Start dumping all the cool kids images that you have
>>
File: cool kid.png (188 KB, 235x299) Image search: [Google]
cool kid.png
188 KB, 235x299
>>78773227
>>
>>78773091
He's talking about Earth One Wonder Woman, an elseworld

But Morrison is doing a sequel to multiversity. And to be honest, he'll probably do another multiversity after that. As so forth. It's easier and less stressful writing elseworld's that aren't heavily tied to the main line of books.
Plus it's easy money.
>>
>>78772979
Why would this be a SJW thing?
>>
>>78771028
>>78771073
If the writer did their research, they'd know that DC has already gone that route.

I wish I had the image from here that showed just how diverse DC is, compared to their general perception from bloggers.
>>
>>78773199
>>78773091
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/25241697-wonder-woman

Morrison is a hack.
>3.5 stars

lmao
>>
>>78772979
The live-action media is pretty problematic, though
>>
>>78773306
>>78770929
>>
>>78773306
>DC has already gone that route
I don't think so. SJWs aren't buying their books, are they?
>>
File: 1451943980310.jpg (26 KB, 363x507) Image search: [Google]
1451943980310.jpg
26 KB, 363x507
>>78773321
>goodreads
>taking women's opinions
>on anything

No anon, you are the lmao
>>
>>78770653
How terribly is the comic book industry doing to where Marvel having all time low sales for their original properties is considered healthy? Jesus Christ.

And put into perspective how bad that makes DC look to where the best in the industry is struggling.
>>
>>78773199
Thanks. I'll give the #1-35 a go.

I'm not up to date on the multiverse as I'm pretty new, but I assume Earth One isn't the 'main earth' that Aquaman, Flash and the Justice league I've been reading are operating on?
>>
>>78773281
Thanks.
>>78773388
This is me, ignore the elseworld question.
>>
File: got plans already.jpg (30 KB, 521x414) Image search: [Google]
got plans already.jpg
30 KB, 521x414
>>78771265
This seems kinda related
>>
File: 1432793062217.png (131 KB, 507x534) Image search: [Google]
1432793062217.png
131 KB, 507x534
>>78773364
>not even 3.5 stars
>3.32
>Morrisonfags
>>
>>78773321
>trusting goodreads
http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/23505378-grayson-vol-1

like 95% of everything on there falls between 3 and 4 stars, regardless of quality. I have no idea why.
>>
>>78773388
No, I think your Aquaman, Flash and Justice League are on Earth-0.
>>
File: 1446069244238.png (625 KB, 807x966) Image search: [Google]
1446069244238.png
625 KB, 807x966
>>78773456
>still taking women's opinions

What did you find most problematic about the story, femanon?
>>
>>78772815
>Do shops just order more Marvel than DC every month for fun?

Out of spite, actually.
>>
>>78770768
>>78770793

I know they mean like racially, but they should build up creator diversity like background-wise so they get more people like Tom King or David Walker
Too many DC books are written by the same generic group of guys.
>>
>>78773464
>two shitty comics have shitty ratings
Here you go, pal
http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/12643015-daredevil-volume-1
Educate yourself
>>
>>78772759
Controversy.
>>
>>78770653
>How would you fix DC, /co/?
just make good comics. It's that simple.
>>
>>78773052
>When Marvel pisses off Spider-man fans they buy more comics, when DC pisses of batkid fans they throw tantrums and try to get people to boycott DC.
I honestly am not sure which is worse.
>>
>>78773578
Do you know of any "diverse" writers who are good?

>>78773612
They're already doing them, casual.
>>
>>78772815
For the variants, which they sell. And they sometimes sell the variants for more than they comic's worth. Also, haven't you heard horror stories of LCS owners trying to push Marvel titles on customers?
>>
File: 1159561759225.jpg (22 KB, 210x264) Image search: [Google]
1159561759225.jpg
22 KB, 210x264
>>78770653
>Image will surpass DC in your lifetime
>>
>>78773578
They need to get rid of people like Lobdell and Tynion who are only around because of their connections.

And at the same time not bring in people like Yang who write the same generic, disappointing dreck.
>>
>>78773091
it's good, really. And the art gets better.
>>
>>78773581
>4.20
*tips bong*
>>
>>78773673
Tynion and Yang are good, casual.
>>
>>78773647
>They're already doing them, casual.
it's about the shit/good ratio that i'm talking about. It's mostly shit, or turned to shit.
>>
>>78773578
>Too many DC books are written by the same generic group of guys.

Same goes for Marvel.
>>
>>78773662
>Also, haven't you heard horror stories of LCS owners trying to push Marvel titles on customers?
No, give me examples
>>
>>78773723
Tynion is total shit and there is not a single issue of Yang's Superman that is either worth reading or that compares to Paktion.
>>
>>78773673

I'm surprised at how poor Yang's Superman is.
Boxers&Saints, American Born Chinese, and The Shadow Hero are all great books.

but yea, at least taking a chance on a writer like him is a great for thing to do. sure, his run has been disappointing, but at least its not Lobdell or Snyder and his cronies writing a third of their line.
>>
File: watcjurmo.jpg (104 KB, 303x703) Image search: [Google]
watcjurmo.jpg
104 KB, 303x703
>>78773723
>>
>>78773731
>>78773759
>>78773764
>DC is all shit
Brand Loyalist strikes again!
>>
>>78773741

I hate to defend Marvel but getting people like Chip Zdarsky, Chris Hastings, David Walker (on multiple books!), and Amy Reeder is good.
>>
>>78773780
Fuck off faggot, there's plenty of good stuff at DC. There'd probably be better stuff if you got rid of writers like Tynion who are put on big weekly gigs just because they're close to Snyder.
>>
>>78773816
Do you do this for free or for a fee?
>>
>>78773845
>backpedaling
Too late, Brand Loyalist.
>>
>>78773780

I don't see anywhere where I say DC is shit in >>78773764 , I just feel like having writers all cut from the same cloth is a poor way to bring people in.

Genvieve Valentine, Steve Orlando, and Ed Brisson (even if hes only there to crank out B&R:Eternal scripts) are all great hires for them. Same with Frank Barbiere, assuming he does more than just help co-write Lobo until its cancelled.
>>
>>78773578
You're thinking Marvel. DC actually has a lot of different people writing for them. From industry veterans like Paul Levitz and Len Wein, to young up and coming Tom King and Steve Orlando, to seasoned talent like Johns. They have Gene Yang and Mark Russel, people not know for doing "generic action comics for indies"
They also have a huge and diverse pool or artists, from indie darling Riley Rossmo, to Francis Manapul.They have Annie Wu and Sonny Liew, Ben Caldwell. They have Paquette, Reis, Capullo, Kudder...

They're doing great, they shouldn't go back to hiring the same 40-50 year old egotistical manchildren.
>>
>>78773907
>>78773886
>>
>>78773578
Too many Marvel books are written by the same group of Portland residents.
>>
>>78773816
Not really, Zdarsky is shit and Walker got his big break at DC, he was hired by Marvel after.
>>
>>78771035
>Pander to sjws like there's no end?
No, just shill that shit to no ends. Go on Conan or any other talk shows and talk about characters, fake some controversy about how people are mad. It worked for babsgirl, and that's like the only time they tried. get some interns to make some twitter accounts and shill it. I mean goddamn what the fuck is wrong with DC marketing team. Midnighter would have been so easy, literally market it as the first gay hero with his own book. "Trump voters are mad! come buy our book!" reddit, twitter, and tumblr would have eaten that shit up, it's so easy.
>>
File: image.jpg (444 KB, 1836x884) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
444 KB, 1836x884
>>78772139
THIS
Stop hiring sexist tryhard white people like Max Landis and hire some actual progressive people.
>>
>>78771028
i'd laugh so hard if a motherfucker told me they were 5ths of anything
>>
>>78774274
>Superman
>Mary Sue

Based retard Mark SJWaid.
>>
Doesn't dc have a lot more diversity in writers/artists than marvel
>>
>>78773759
I enjoyed the Mythology Wrestling issues of Yang's Superman.
>>
>>78774446
Shhh, don't disrupt the narrative.
>>
>>78774274
Apparently skipping TFA because it's too cold to go out was a good decision judging by the opinions of the people who like it
>>
>>78774274
>Using Movieblob Chipman in your post

this has to be bait
>>
>>78774719
You should be glad you skipped it because it was a glib fascimile of episode 4 that managed to do what the prequels didn't ruin the originals
>>
>>78774446
Literally right here >>78770929
>>
>>78774381
>Based retard Mark SJWaid.

He's accomplished more than you ever will in your life.

He's contributed more to Superman than most modern writers.
>>
I don't understand why there isn't an equivalent of Jlu or Yj.
Hell Stas and btas are practically the only reason I bothered with JL and ended up expanding my horizons to actually learn more about all the characters who I honestly knew nothing about. I just want a nice long running, sort-of continuity following, show with some good tie ins that give interested normies like me an easy route into the greater universe.

I'm still bummed that the Yj comic never looped into mainline books.
>>
>>78775263
>glib fascimile
>>/tv/
>>
There's nothing to fix. All of those are things already being implemented or terrible ideas except the Vertigo push.
>>
>>78775339
American Alien is literally better than Kingdom Come and Birthright in every way. Hell, it's better than anything SJWaid has ever written.
SJWaid should do the world a favor and put a bullet in his brain.
*Mic Drop*
>>
>>78775430
They just launched a bunch of new Vertigo comics
>>
I glad people recognize how much of a hack that autist Waid is
>>
>>78770653
>DC Unlimited
Fucking this, so much
>>
File: image.jpg (178 KB, 804x1037) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
178 KB, 804x1037
>>78775519
CAN'T BAN THE LANDIS!

SPAID THE WAID!
>>
>>78775529
Well then I stand corrected.
>>
>>78772139
Please leave, tumblr.
>>
>>78775780
How come every time someone calls Rey a Mary Sue the response is inevitably "Well, [other character] is also a Mary Sue!"?
>>
They need to do a relaunch around bvs, though it seems like they may already be doing this.

Put some deceptive covers or variants to make it look like they're tied to the movies.

Do a Marvel unlimited type service.

Shazam ongoing, get some new blood on league. Darkseid War is the perfect note to leave off of.

Strong creatives on each core book. That means all the league members.
>>
File: 080314_Ledger_Joker.jpg (32 KB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
080314_Ledger_Joker.jpg
32 KB, 320x240
>>78770653
>Marvel cashing in on events, (some) relaunches, and FUCKING STAR WARS
>DC is failing
>>
>>78774274
I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not because SJWs really are this retarded.
>>
>>78775936
Because SJWs like Waid and Noelle Stevenson are retarded.
>>
>>78775780
I love the "role model for little girls" argument.
>>
>>78775983
>Do a Marvel unlimited type service.
Digital issues should be cheap. The only reason I don't buy shit as it comes out is because that shit is $5 an issue online.

I don't want physical issues for space reasons, I'd prefer to pay $2 to read the issue online as it comes and then pay whatever for the trade later.
>>
>>78770653

i havent bought anything from dc since new 52 hit. wanna know how to get me back? delete the new 52 and reinstate the prior continuity as their main universe. anything less and i'm not even going to look
>>
>>78776185
Yeah i want armless Roy, rape sue.
>>
>>78776185
I hope you stay away forever loser
>>
>>78776185
nobody wants you back
>>
>>78775983
No you stupid little faggot. Not every company has to pander to new readers.

If they gain new readers based off the work they are putting out, then good but they shouldn't completely rape their universe to try to pull in new people who are not interested. It's not difficult at all to go back and read past issues.
>>
File: 1450809170106.jpg (215 KB, 1000x981) Image search: [Google]
1450809170106.jpg
215 KB, 1000x981
>>78774274
>>78775172
>>78775936
Because Disney is doing their damnedest to get the tumblr crowd. There's an actual Marvel employee on damage control, along with some sjw shills. It's fucking hilarious since it's not working.
>>
>>78776185
If you haven't read any of it how do you know you don't like it?

Convergence had all the pre-Flashpoint guys back but none of the "If you undid Flashpoint I'd come back" guys brought it.
>>
>>78775780
So that faggot Waid is in fact admitting Rey is a Mary Sue?
>>
>>78776185
They tried that with Lois and Clark and it sold like shit.
>>
>>78770736
actually the person who runs that site use to be an editor at Vertigo
>>
>>78776292
It can't possible work because any one with eyes can see it's true. The only damage control that can save this character has to be in Episode 8, by making her an actual fucking character.
>>
>>78773669
Haha no they won't.
>>
>>78776185
>wanna know how to get me back? delete the new 52 and reinstate the prior continuity as their main universe. anything less and i'm not even going to look
you wouldn't look even if they did
>>
File: 1447471639120.jpg (24 KB, 363x316) Image search: [Google]
1447471639120.jpg
24 KB, 363x316
>>78770653
>>Sync up with the live action media better, or at all
>>
>>78770653
>Only one fake "diversity" category

Comics beat is slipping.

Every article on how DC can do better turns into a "DC needs to produce the comics I, personally, want" thing. Like there is absolutely no reason to think giving the heroes back to Vertigo would have any commercial impact at all.

It does seem from the success of Snyder's Batman and the TDKR sequel that what they need to do is go dark and cater to the Frank Miller nostalgia buffs. In other words, fuck trying to get new readers with quirky new projects. They need to play up sex (Harley Quinn) and violence and aim at the old readers.

Like the Republican party now caters to an older demographic than the Democrats, and they do fine that way, at least for now. I'm not trying to get political here, I'm just using it as an example of building up an old base instead of attracting young people. Comics aren't like TV advertising that only sells to young people. Sell your comics to the olds.
>>
>>78773673
Nah, I'm sure Yang could have been good, I just think DC editorial is what ruined that book.
>>
>>78776781
They already do that.

Fuck, none of the people in here are giving new ideas to fix DC at all.
>>
>>78773759
You're judging someone based on one arc, and even that was an editorial driven crossover.
>>
File: flip a table Im fucking done.jpg (91 KB, 560x763) Image search: [Google]
flip a table Im fucking done.jpg
91 KB, 560x763
>>78770929

>>Muslim Dr Fate
>>
>>78776855
>Fuck, none of the people in here are giving new ideas to fix DC at all.

This is /co/ every time we try to have a financial discussion. No one here knows shit.
>>
>>78770653

Bring back the pre-Flashpoint universe
>>
>>78773816
Who is mark Russel
>>
>>78770929

What MarySue readers & tumblr really want is for DC to put out shitty books like Squirrel Girl.

They don't know anything about DC and only like Marvel because "muh movies"

Pray they don't find out about Image
>>
>>78776989
Because sales were so much better in 2010?
>>
>>78776855
If we knew how to fix DC we'd be there doing it.

Most of the time there is no idea the internet can offer for free that the paid people haven't at least thought of. Maybe they were stupid to reject it but they've thought of it.
>>
>>78775780
He has to fulfill his masters at Marvel.
>>
>>78771206

Well of Course not.

Most people dont carry around cash anymore now that we have Debit cards
>>
play on the Timm nostalgia
>>
>>78777065
People who say that don't actually care about fixing anything
>>
File: youdontknowme.jpg (93 KB, 593x426) Image search: [Google]
youdontknowme.jpg
93 KB, 593x426
>>78775339
>he's accomplished more than you ever will in your life

Hi, Mark.
>>
>>78770653
They just need to advertise better.

Maybe if the DCEU takes off, it'll do it for them.
>>
>>78777258
Advertising isn't going to get LCSes to increase their preorders when they know that regular customers still won't buy DC.

This is what so many people on /co/ don't seem to understand. The people who subscribe to monthlies already know about DC and know what they're doing. They are simply not interested in buying it.
>>
>>78777369
>The people who subscribe to monthlies already know about DC and know what they're doing. They are simply not interested in buying it.
Why, though? DC IS putting out plenty of good books (or at the bare minimum, several readable books), what makes people stay away? DC has a problem with public perception and confirmation bias and I have no idea what they could do to fix it
>>
How to fix DC
>relaunch with new #1 every year
>turn your flagship characters into blacks and female
>add quirky dialogue in them all
>add girl power
>claim how progressive you are, and how much your comics will solve world problems
>pay sites to shill your comics
>make comics similar to movies
>have company wide events every six months
>>
>>78777535
You forgot "get bought out by the company that owns the world's most popular IP, thereby becoming the default publisher of tie-in comics."
>>
>>78777453
If anyone actually knew that these threads would be far more productive.

It would probably take market research and shit to nail down though.
>>
>>78777453
A management change might help.

When Quesada replaced Bob Harras at Marvel in 2001, he didn't immediately change everything (and some of the changes he made were already in the pipeline) but it was a sign to the comics media and the LCSs that something had changed at Marvel, because Quesada was not part of the regular editorial staff and clearly had a mandate to try new things.

DC had a similar thing when they appointed Dan DiDio. It was hard to tell exactly what his influence was but he hadn't been at the company for long and he was the face of the "new" DC.

Now everybody at DC has been there for years, DiDio is part of the old guard, Bob Harras is EiC because he's a non-threatening old pal of Jim Lee. They should fire somebody (Harras, probably, he's used to it) and bring in somebody new.

It doesn't matter who it is or even how much power they have. Just find someone new, who is liked by the media and good at playing on their biases.
>>
I thought DC was going to start selling bi-monthly issues? And shortening story arcs, so it was easier for readers to get into?
>instead of being 43 issues behind
>>
>>78770653
No. Pls no.
>>
>>78777814
That's just a rumor and people are using it to talk shit
>>
Why doesnt wb hand dc any franchise? Just anything
>>
>>78778088
One problem the Tolkien and JK rowling.
>>
It doesn't matter what DC does they'll still be hated. It might be a Disney conspiracy but if good comics like Gotham by Midnight don't sell I'm inclined to believe it's just people's shit taste
>>
>>78778088
Marvel has Perlmutter, who seems to care about the sales of the comics, fought to get the Star Wars license taken away from Dark Horse. He's a tyrant but sometimes a tyrant is a good thing in a business setting.

DC seems like Time/Warner just lets it burble along and doesn't pay much attention to it. I don't think it has the same pressure Marvel has to perform as long as it keeps the IPs alive.
>>
>>78778141
Doesnt wb own anything else?
>>
>>78778240
Mortal Kombat? They have a digital book
>>
File: romangrin.png (173 KB, 340x410) Image search: [Google]
romangrin.png
173 KB, 340x410
>>78770653
Acknowledge defeat and sell to disney/marvel.
>>
>>78772139
>Max Landis is shit.
Debateable, but I don't necessarily disagree.
>He makes Superman needlessly edgy and grimdark.
I don't think it's a bad thing but I think he overdoes it
>And he's had controversy being a sexist and calling female characters Mary Sues
True
> because they are competent and not bimbos like he wants.
No, because they're perfect and faultless at everything they try and do. Good characters are either complete failures but you still root for them or they have their strengths but also faults and weaknesses.
Ultimately good bait / go back to tumblr
>>
>>78776304

did it undo flashpoint and retcon the new 52 out of existence restoring the old continuity as their main focus? cuz that aint what i've heard.

that's my bare minimum to even consider them again.
>>
>>78776257

i will. enjoy all your cancelled titles from low readership. nigger.
>>
>>78778459
They'd have to buy WB outright then.

Seriously family, even if Marvel continues to dominate it will not spell the end of DC. I mean fuck back in 2012, DC were dominating Marvel, so it's not a surprise these things keep going back and forth now.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 32

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.