[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What went wrong?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 7
File: superman.jpg (245 KB, 600x911) Image search: [Google]
superman.jpg
245 KB, 600x911
What went wrong?
>>
>>78769966
He's boring, overpowered, no personality, etc.
>>
>>78769966
no red trunks.
>>
>>78769966
"That's it, smile for me."

What did he mean by this?
>>
>>78769966
>Jim Lee
>>
>>78769966
His rocket never landed on its original destination to Apokolips.
>>
>>78770040
This
>>
It was aliens

We can't relate
>>
>>78769966
Nothing went wrong. New 52 Superman is great. The only people who disagree are people who don't get Superman as a character and don't understand the subtle but fundamental differences between him and Pre-Crisis Supes.
>>
>>78769966
faggy short hair, high collar, no trunks, red belt, gauntlet-y sleeves instead of just gauntlets (which I would be okay with)
>>
>What went wrong?

Him deceiving of humanity into submission is what's wrong with this world. Some Alien wasn't supposed to babysit mankind.
>>
>>78771001
lex luthor pls go
>>
>>78771001
Lex, is that you?
>>
Nothing, New 52 Superman a cute
>>
File: 1451334388851.jpg (242 KB, 1200x1050) Image search: [Google]
1451334388851.jpg
242 KB, 1200x1050
Having read a lot of the New52 recently (Aquaman, Wonder Woman, Flash and Swamp Thing) Is Supes one of the better titles or should I skip it?
>>
>>78769966
Do they ever explore Superman's sense of belong to this planet or him questioning the fact that he doesn't owe anything to mankind(just her parents) without going full justice lord?
>>
>>78772448
Read Morrison's and later Pak's Action comics. Just skip the Doomed crossover in the beginning of Pak's. Johns did a Superman arc, which is the only good thing in the series.
>>
File: 1449368273250.jpg (3 MB, 3574x2100) Image search: [Google]
1449368273250.jpg
3 MB, 3574x2100
>>78772597
Kk cool. Thanks, friend!
>>
>>78769966
I think his redesign is fantastic.

What went wrong is they didn't set a quota between Superman & Action comics when new 52 relaunched. Perez had no idea what Morrison was doing.

http://comicsalliance.com/george-perez-superman-experience-new-52/
>>
>>78772448
Action Comics Vol, 1-3 (Morrison)
Action Comics Vol 5, 7- (Pak)
Superman: The Men of Tomorrow (Johns)
Superman Unchained (Snyder)

Avoid everything else like the plague, except maybe Lois and Clark, and American Alien
>>
>>78772899
>I think his redesign is fantastic?
Why? I don't mean to sound like a dick, but why? The collar doesn't fit his character at all, and without the red trunks the costume just kind of looks like a mess of blue.
>>
>>78770005
*tips*
>>
Nothing is actually wrong with superman. The character just has bad writers that can't problem solve worth crap. There are actually a lot of great superman stories out there. Writers need to stay away from trying to remove his powers or trying to kill him. It forces you to think about the character. “The late Mr. Kent” did this perfect. Superman is probably one of the most complex characters to write for and needs good writers. I personally was unsure of MoS as a story and it had issues to an extent, however, if I look at it in the context of the first season of Arrow, or even to an extent Batman Begins, MoS is actually really smart and hopefully the new movie will do that. The comics need to go back to the roots of what makes the character awesome. He has all these abilities and spends his time trying to help and understand his adopted world. This simple idea is a real challenge to write for. And yes the simple desguises do actually work. Most people when confronted with authorities like the police have a really hard time knowing what they look like when they are not in uniform. All they see is a badge. Superman is a truly compelling character that could use some good writing and some thought provoking stories. Even with the mainstreams popular characters like batman, most fans take issue with writers not working with his detective abilities. In a nutshell DC needs to think outside the box and establish rules about their characters. Tell writers that they can no longer kill or depower main metahumans or aliens as plot devices. They have to do better and really put some heart and thought into the characters. Look at what Allen Moore did with swampthing. It can be done they just need to stop hiring the wrong people.
>>
>>78769966
That costume doesn't show off nearly enough ass/bulge.
>>
>>78775070
You know how we do.
>>
>>78779115
This
>>
>>78769966
Not enough hot dogs, hot dogs should always be available.
>>
>>78770369
So basically its impossible to like him unless you read and like previous superman stories
>>
>>78769966
The 'modernized' look seems more dated than his classic look
>>
>>78770040
yeah people calling red trunks stupid

the trunks are still there guys.

it just now looks even more like he's in pajamas
>>
They forced his relationship with WW and killed his relationship with Lois.
>>
>>78772899
>I think his redesign is fantastic.

Really? Cause I thought it was the second worst Superman design from the New 52 onwards. Worst one was the Injustice one. I'll take Both t-shirt ones, and the suits from Man of Steel, Earth 2, and New 52 Ultraman before those.
>>
>>78772448
>>78772948
I actually quite liked Crossed Worlds (v1 of the B/S series). Vol. 2 was fine, I had no problems with it like I did with Lobdell Supes or the Perez trade.

>>78769966
Nothing went wrong. Superman Unchained was a bestseller, as was the Earth One books and other things. Superman can still sell and sell quite well, top ten no question.

The problem, having read it all, is consistency and quality of art, consistency in continuity, poor quality choices in writers at times, no follow through, the mess they made with the clone and Supergirl carried over in to his books. This can all be summed up as editorial stupidity.
>>
>>78772899
The suit was too blue. Part of this was that they wanted to take yellow out when they could have used it for piping versus red. Since they kept the cape red, there was no point in making piping red. They also didn't use consistency with that. I was just reading the Perez trade over again to see if I would like it better 2-3 years after the fact and that's the first thing that jumped out at me, over the course of just 5-6 issues. It was worse throughout the run of all his books.
>>
>>78775296
>Most people when confronted with authorities like the police have a really hard time knowing what they look like when they are not in uniform. All they see is a badge. Superman is a truly compelling character that could use some good writing and some thought provoking stories.

This.

I realized in re-reading some of the trades that what little I did like in Lobdell's run was that he did spend some time with Clark (I'm thinking specifically of Lois party during the otherwise annoying Hive Queen/Hector Hammond story) and not every panel was punch/smash/bam.
>>
>>78770005
>I have never read a superman comic in my life
>>
>>78772597

Skip Doomed? It was fun as fuck crossover.
>>
>>78780685
More like the only people who dislike him are idiots who don't get Superman as a character and think he's TOO DIFFERENT AND EDGY

New readers should have no trouble liking this supes. This supes is pretty rad.
>>
>>78773298
I think the collar adds a cool design element and the trunks have always looked terrible. The blue is broken by the belt.
>>
>>78769966
They rewrote his origin too hard. People misunderstand that his true superpower was his humble country upbringing, that he uses to solve problems he can't punch.

In New 52 his parents die when he is too young, he doesn't have that maturity, and is just an arrogant dummy. The current powerless storyline would be far more impactful with a deeper Superman, but this one falls flat because of his inexperience to begin with.

All of which makes no sense, considering Morrison was involved and he seems to at least understand the character better than most writers.

There is a similar problem overall with New 52 and that is that all the characters are too stiff to have friendly relationships with one another, like how Tim Drake is a stuck up pretentious loner, when pre-52 Drake is built on how much warmth and love he has for his friends.
>>
>>78791810
>In New 52 his parents die when he is too young, he doesn't have that maturity, and is just an arrogant dummy
Makes me think of this.
>>
>>78769966
Being irreplaceable.

Batman Brucecan be replaced.
There are 5 billion Green Lanterns.
F;ash family.
Blue Beetle could be a different guy.

But Supes? Nah.
>>
>>78792237
There's always cloning, anon.
>>
File: Wonderous_Man_(Earth_11)_001.jpg (156 KB, 652x1750) Image search: [Google]
Wonderous_Man_(Earth_11)_001.jpg
156 KB, 652x1750
>>78769966
Shipped with Wonderous Man when?
>>
>>78792320
Yeah but it just isn't the same. I can see the other placements but its like take Superboy. I can't see him as the next Superman.
>>
>>78769966
Nothing. New 52 Superman is far and away superior to Post-Crisis Superman.
>>
File: 4373059-superman.jpg (101 KB, 720x720) Image search: [Google]
4373059-superman.jpg
101 KB, 720x720
>>78773298
>>78786424
To be honest, I'm with
>>78791770 on this.

I prefer the collar and belt. I know you all despise it for whatever reason but I personally love it and the belt. It could use more yellow but still.

There are certain things you can't say here without getting crucified by the entire board. What I just said is most likely one of them.
>>
does his belt even do anything
>>
>>78792690
It keeps his pants on, what does your belt do?
>>
>>78792973
He wears pants? it isn't a one piece?
>>
>>78792690
It's stylish and keeps him from looking like a big blue blob.
>>
File: mhmmm.jpg (110 KB, 750x1139) Image search: [Google]
mhmmm.jpg
110 KB, 750x1139
>>78793077
Nope
>>
>>78793639
holy shit this changes everything
>>
>>78791810
>There is a similar problem overall with New 52 and that is that all the characters are too stiff to have friendly relationships with one another

This has been a problem. It could be argued that they can use the fresh(ish) start to spend years rebuilding those relationships and new relationships. Retread familiar links, and explore new ones that may not have been an option before.

But it's been a few years now, and it's really more like they just dropped the ball. Don't much care about the weird timeline crunch, but the characters/teams/"families" don't feel like they have much cohesion anymore.
Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.