[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
ITT: talented but insane comic book creators
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 10
File: image.jpg (3 MB, 2592x1944) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
3 MB, 2592x1944
ITT: talented but insane comic book creators
>>
>>
File: image.jpg (35 KB, 220x273) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
35 KB, 220x273
Now for the craziest of them all
>>
>>78721527

wait that's him

I didn't expect the guy to actually look like scrooge
>>
File: odyssey-bruce-face.jpg (95 KB, 630x420) Image search: [Google]
odyssey-bruce-face.jpg
95 KB, 630x420
Neal Adams.
>>
>>78721527
and why is he insane?
>>
>>78722738
Turbo-autist when it comes to Disney Ducks and Carl Barks
>>
>>78722738
Nicest guy you'd want to meet
But sold his family business to do duck comics.

>he followed his heart
According to his bio in don rosa collection he nearly went bankrupt

Also autistically obsessed with Barks even when barks said it wasn't that important
>>
>>78722614
I always think of Byrne as the original Chris-chan. Jim Shooter was even his Mary Lee Walsh.
>>
>>78721545
>hates feminism
>insane
>>
>>78721545
his whole tirade about why having indoor pets is the beginning of the collapse of society always amuses me
>>
>>78723692

Well, firstly, I think anybody who hates feminism per se is either insane or a piece of shit.

Secondly, I think this guy - bless and keep him - would just be crazy in a different way if he wasn't hung-up on women (and it's not even simply feminism... it's like he has a Lovecraft-like issue with women).
>>
>>78723776
>would just be crazy in a different way

That happens when you're schizophrenic and take too much LSD
>>
>>78723692
>hates feminism period
>not the bullshit 2nd and 3rd wavers
>>
File: aku_rosa.gif (12 KB, 142x142) Image search: [Google]
aku_rosa.gif
12 KB, 142x142
>>78722738
Because he doesn't draw Ducktales and /co/ can't stand it
>>
>>78722614
It's always fun to check out John Bryne Says
>>
>>78723776
That's the craziest thing about it, when you hear "Dave Sim hates women" you think he's just a run of the mill MRA type, but nope, turns out he's built a whole pseudo-mythology in his head about how women are primordial monsters who drain men's life force or something. What was it he said? That they were void-people?
>>
>>78724403
Men are lights, created in the image of the one true G-d. Women are voids, created in the image of the false deity YHWH.
>>
>>78722943

I still don't think it is that bad. He's a nice guy as you said. He does great work. The other stuff doesn't matter much beyond his own perception of it.
>>
>>78723776
Go back to tumblr, you dumb cunt.
>>
>>78724468
That's the one.
>>
>>78724468
That's....
Kind of special itself the nomenclature he chose, but then people who are crazy in this way are often obviously deluded because of how fucking stupid some details are no matter how reasonable they seem to them.
>>
>>78724482
It isn't that bad, it's just easy to imagine how terribly things could have turned out for him if he wasn't as good as he is, he could have ended up a broke obsessed hermit instead of a beloved comic creator.
>>
>>78724482
He easily could have lost everything his family worked for to make 8 page duck comics
And was obsessed with Carl barks (which Carl didn't care too much about)
I Don't mean he's a serial killer who eats his own hair, just that he's nuts
>>
>>78724468
Huh, thought he just didn't like women in the way some people get after divorces, not in the cult way.
>>
>>78724633
In his (sort of) defence, he is a paranoid schizophrenic with a history of LSD abuse who has had multiple women in his life leave him and take a significant portions of his money with them, so it's easy to see where this particular craziness came from.
>>
>>78724667
>>78724679

That just strikes me as risk and reward. He was very unhappy doing what he was doing. To the point where his partner was actually the one to suggest disbanding the company. He seemed very aware of the risks he was taking, and followed his dreams anyway.

I think the worst you could call him was foolhardy and an incessant fanboy (Which even I think geto a bit much). Not quite to the level of Sims or nothing. He's just a guy who took a risk to live his dream.
>>
>>78723692
Nothing wrong with supporting the concept of feminism - women should be treated well and be given a chance to express themselves.

The wave of feminism that wants superiority over everyone and wants all men destroyed is the one you should watch out for.
>>
>>78721527
I think he might be autistic - not in the 4chan buzzword way, but I mean legitimately on the spectrum.
>>
File: Grant-Morrison_Supergods.jpg (95 KB, 444x296) Image search: [Google]
Grant-Morrison_Supergods.jpg
95 KB, 444x296
Is he insane /co/ ?

His whole theory of alien abduction after climbing the steps to enlightenment...he's out there.
>>
>>78724550
Nice retort, friendo, well memed. I love the addition of ad hominem, makes it easier to not take seriously.
>>
>>78725346
He's just doing it for attention. Every few years, he announces that the last few years of his life have just been for attention.

First it was "I'm not really an enfant terrible, I was just exaggerating my angry ire for attention".
Then it was "I'm not really a transcendental druggie, I was just exaggerating my habits for attention".
Next it'll be "I'm not really a multi-dimensional wizard, I was just exaggerating my beliefs for attention".
>>
>>78725346
No he just does a lot of hallucinogens.
>>
File: deitch1.jpg (83 KB, 640x463) Image search: [Google]
deitch1.jpg
83 KB, 640x463
>>78721527
Kim Deitch (probably the craziest of them all. Can't really tell if he's a genius or just crazy though).
Don Rosa
Robert Crumb
Jason Karns
Alan Moore
S. Clay Wilson
Chester Brown
Dave Sim
Mike Diana
>>
>>78725475
HE'S NOT A WIZARD?!
>>
>>78725475
Really? I never knew he made any of these statements.
>>
>>78725776
Robert Crumb, crazy? From where I see it he's practically a time displaced /b/tard
>>
>>78725346

He's not insane, you're just really boring
>>
>>78726019
Grant Morrison talks about this shit all the time, e.g.

> High-contrast Western manga art by my Zoids partner Steve Yeowell made Zenith’s world a frantic modernist blur of speed lines and contemporary fashions and haircuts. We announced to the world that Zenith was intended to be as dumb, sexy, and disposable as an eighties pop single: Alan Moore remixed by Stock Aitken Waterman. Keeping all the self-awareness outside the story, we used interviews and forewords to admit to our sources. In them we praised creative theft and plagiarism, quoted the French playwright Antonin Artaud and sneeringly suggested that the likes of Watchmen were pompous, stuffy, and buttock-clenchingly dour. The shock tactics I’d brought with me from the music world, delivered with the snotty whippet-thin snideness of the hipster, had helped me carve out a niche for myself as comics’ enfant terrible, and Steve was happy to play along as the handsome nice one with nothing controversial to say.

> My public persona was punk to the rotten core. Outspoken and mean spirited, I freely expressed contempt for the behind-the-scenes world of comics professionals, which seemed unglamorous and overwhelmingly masculine by comparison to the club and music scenes. My life was rich, and my circle of friends and family was secure enough that I could afford to play a demonic role at work. Reading interviews from the time makes my blood run cold these days, but the trash talk seemed to be working, and I was rapidly making a name for myself. Being young, good-looking, and cocky forgave many sins, a huge hit British superhero strip did the rest and proved I could back up the big talk.

For one phase of his life, being an asshole was his shortcut to fame and popularity.
>>
>>78724550
>not hating women is tumblr now
Guess I missed the memo.
>>
>>78726102
Well, we can argue over what defines "crazy" but let's not.
>>
>>78724403
>That's the craziest thing about it, when you hear "Dave Sim hates women" you think he's just a run of the mill MRA type
Hello tumblr
>>
File: tangent iv.jpg (1 MB, 1200x3000) Image search: [Google]
tangent iv.jpg
1 MB, 1200x3000
>>78724550
>>78726727
>animals should not be kept indoors, housepets should be put down
Hello 9Gag.
>>
>>78726182
That doesn't quite disprove that he didn't do a shitload of drugs. It just shows that he knew what he was self-aware when being a cock.
>>
File: oddysey.jpg (1 MB, 2560x1989) Image search: [Google]
oddysey.jpg
1 MB, 2560x1989
batman Odyssey solidifies adams place as the most insane person ever.

whats even worse is that he fucking believes in the hollow earth theory
>>
>>78726856
That was for the
>First it was "I'm not really an enfant terrible, I was just exaggerating my angry ire for attention".

For
>Then it was "I'm not really a transcendental druggie, I was just exaggerating my habits for attention".
You want the times when he talks about switching to straight edge and not actually believing in any of his hallucinations. I'll try to look that up for you.
>>
Morrison is a lot like Moore in that their public persona is a bit of a put on for their fans

>hey look how crazy this guy is
Both of them seem a bit forced, that being said Moore is crazier. This is because he thought it was a good idea to live with his wife and girlfriend

>inb4 what a player
His wife left him for his gf
>>
>>78727045
And took the kids as well
>>
>>78726908
Are you sure he wasn't just using the Hollow Earth theory as a story hook?
>>
File: odyssey guns.jpg (46 KB, 570x263) Image search: [Google]
odyssey guns.jpg
46 KB, 570x263
>>78727222
>Adams believes the Earth is growing[90] through a process called pair production.[91] Adams holds the work of Australian geologist Samuel Warren Carey in high esteem, but considers the term "Expanding Earth" a misnomer.[92][93] While Carey did advocate an expanding Earth in the mid-20th century, his model was rejected following the development of the theory of plate tectonics.[94][95][96] Adams advocates his ideas in a DVD documentary he wrote and produced, clips of which are available on his YouTube channel.[97][98]

>Adams appeared on the radio show Coast to Coast AM several times to discuss his claims.[99] He was also interviewed by Steven Novella on a Skeptics Guide podcast in 2006, and afterward continued the debate on Novella's blog.[100] Japan Times columnist Jeff Ogrisseg wrote a three-part feature promoting Adams's ideas,[101][102][103] which was roundly criticized by Novella for being an example of "outright promotion of pseudoscience as if it were news."[104] Adams also used the concept as the basis for his Batman: Odyssey series, in which the planet's expansion has produced a Hollow Earth, the inside of which is inhabited by dinosaurs and Neanderthal versions of the main characters.
>>
>>78727280
Well holy shit.
>>
Akso Neal is a bit of a douche (if you ever met him at comic book conventions)
>>
>>78727045
I don't know why I'm surprised and slightly disappointed by this. Having fiddled around with magic as a youth it was refreshing to hear Grant describe it with such fervor and enthusiasm, yet simplicity. I should probably just assume that most famous people use whatever angles they can to sell their product.
>>
>>78728021
He seemed learned in the ways of illustration on Kevin Smith's podcast. However, I could never shake the feeling that his voice carried a slight tone of disdain throughout the entire podcast.

That being said, it still was a very informative listen.
>>
>>78724679
Taking a risk to pursue your dream is not the same as being insane. And I don't really understand your point about his obsession with Carl Barks, of course Barks is going to be modest but that doesn't stop it being a fact that he's one of the most successful and influential comics artists in the world.
>>
>>78728832
>taking a risk

Read his bio in the back of his collection. He nearly lost everything just to draw Donald Duck comics. He sold his family business after going to school for it.

It's like saying someone who spends all his money gambling is just "taking a risk". At a certain point it's an obsession.

Carl Barks wasn't being modest , he told Don not to be so obsessed with his comics.
>>
>>78728480
It's 50/50. Morrison and Moore believe it but not to a religious devotion that people ascribe to them. Think of it more like "this is an interesting way to look at the world."
>>
>>78721527
>the Larry David of comics actually looks like Larry David
Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.