[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>We live in an age where superheroes are more popular than
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 6
File: 1378431473617.jpg (147 KB, 890x688) Image search: [Google]
1378431473617.jpg
147 KB, 890x688
>We live in an age where superheroes are more popular than anyone ever thought would be possible.
>People still don't give a shit about actual comic books.

What do we do?
>>
>>78712758
Shit happens. Just enjoy what you want and don't bother with whether or not people care.
>>
File: 1438360440749.jpg (61 KB, 290x403) Image search: [Google]
1438360440749.jpg
61 KB, 290x403
Just keep reading bub. Hope that your favorite books don't get canceled. Cry when they do
>>
>>78712758
Boycott all the spandex/pulp comics, this is the only way, desu.
>>
>>78712758
We should have kept on churning out non-cape/cape tangient films instead of just pure hero movies
I actually like the movie Wanted more than I did the comic it was based on, and even though it was technically a book about heroes (well villains), it was still based on a comic book

Really the only adaptation that has been successful is the play based on the comic about the lesbian and her maybe gay dad, but nobody cares about the fact it was a comic first
>>
Maybe they'll start making movies about webcomics!
>>
>>78712758
Duh, we keep reading comics and bitching about them on the internet
>>
>People still don't give a shit about actual comic books.
The majority of /co/ isn't interested in any comic book that doesn't involve superheroes.

Let's work on fixing our own problems before we work on fixing the rest of the world.
>>
>>78712811

When anything's survival depends on people caring, you should care about people caring about it.
>>
File: k.gif (2 MB, 400x260) Image search: [Google]
k.gif
2 MB, 400x260
>>78712904
>people don't give a shit about comic books
>solution is to boycott comic books
>>
File: bad news.png (53 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
bad news.png
53 KB, 1000x1000
>We live in an age where book-to-movie adaptations are more popular than anyone ever thought would be possible
>People still don't give a shit about reading actual books

Sucks, doesn't it, friend-o?
>>
>>78713133
Everything ends. Learn to live with it.
>>
Wait until the bubble bursts and everyone moves on to the next money-making-medium. Then make money off of your collection OR save your comics for you, your kids, your grandkids to cherish.
>>
>>78713140
Boycott capeshit (and stupid pulp) to get rid of the stigma, toxic industry practices, etc.
>>
>>78713140
>there's no such thing as comics other than spandex/pulp comics
Really?
>>
>>78713159
>People still don't give a shit about reading actual books
Sometimes movies are only popular because the fans of the books hyped the shit up too much
Also, when it comes to book to movie adaptations compared to comic to movie adaptations, people pick books up a lot more than they do comic books

Don't be mad because you don't want to recognize all the people who are reading Harry Potter, Hunger Games, or any other YA fantasy/sci-fi novel
>>
>HURR CAPESHIT

People misunderstood my OP.

My issue isn't that people read capeshit, it's that people love superheroes but still refuse to read comic books.

I keep hearing people say shit like "LOL OH YEAH I LOVE HAWKEYE" or anything along those lines and getting excited only to find out they haven't read a single comic outside of Watchmen and flat out refuse to do so while continually raving about how they're huge comic fans.
>>
>>78713286
Because if the only published comics are shitty indie books everyone who doesn't already read comics will start reading them. Makes sense.
>>
>>78713418
Okay, that's nice.

My issue isn't that people read superhero comics. There's nothing wrong with reading superhero comics. My issue is that some people read ONLY superhero comics, and will reject any comic that isn't a superhero comic.

And /co/ is made up of many such persons.

So until we fix ourselves, we have no right to criticize others.
>>
>>78713535
So you're saying that the reason the general public doesn't like comic books is because some of us don't read things that we don't enjoy.
>>
>>78713535

Don't be an idiot, you pretentious twat.
>>
>>78713525
Normies have no respect for the comics medium because they think that the entire medium is comprised solely of kiddie trash and manchild garbage.

If we increase the visibility of non-kiddie and non-manchild comics, then this will change the public perception of the comics medium in the normie metaconsciousness zeitgeist.

Let's start by helping you. You're so dyed in the wool that you think that any non-pulp/non-superhero comic is automatically "shitty". Is this really how you want to live your life?
>>
Stop letting hacks make comics
>>
>>78713535
On the flip side of this - we have people who don't read "capeshit" and who think it's lowbrow/beneath them.

That comic books are only a serious art form - that all superheroes are dumb, for children, and/or for retards
>>
>>78713686
Bendis?
>>
>>78713683

Why the fuck would we want people who are so obsessed with being mature and adult that they refuse to read anything they deem "kiddy trash" or to entertain the notion that it isn't "manchild garbage" polluting the medium?

In fact, you can fuck off back to your European comics or whatever else gets you off on your own intellectual superiority too.
>>
>>78713683
>Is this really how you want to live your life?

I'd rather spend my life reading things I enjoy than things I don't enjoy.

How about naming some comics you think are good?
>>
>>78713704
Yes, there are definitely people who read comics but refuse to read superhero comics, and I feel sorry for them too.

But I think we all have to admit, non-superhero-only readers are VASTLY outnumbered by superhero-only readers, and as such the latter are a much bigger problem than the former.
>>
>>78713838

The superhero only readers are usually just people who are into cape comics and are having a good time.

non-superhery only readers, meanwhile, are usually pretentious douchebags who have to remind everyone that they read REAL comic boks for mature adults such as themselves every other opportunity and constantly drop the word "capeshit" into their conversation.
>>
>>78713838
How the fuck is that a problem?

Some people only read history books
Some people only watch crime dramas
Some people only eat food from their own culture

How is any of that a "problem"?
You could say that (in your opinion) they're missing out on an enjoyable experience, but if they're happy, why do you give a shit?

You're probably the kind of person who tries to get his friends to listen to 'real' music.
>>
>>78713637

>>78713752

>>78713816

>>78713894

Carriage
Return
Anon

sure is angry today.
>>
File: Capture.jpg (13 KB, 144x208) Image search: [Google]
Capture.jpg
13 KB, 144x208
>>78713947

k
>>
>>78713167

Both of those are true, but don't actually solve the problem at end. They are what to do after something ends. You can still support something and put energy to ensure it survives longer if you enjoy it. And after it's all said and done, after you've done what you can to keep what you enjoy around, if it still disappears, well... everything ends. You just learn to live with it at that point.
>>
>>78713934
How is what OP describes a problem? People who go to movies but don't read the comics that those movies are based on?

I see /co/ complain every day about people who say "I'm a huge Batman fan" but refuse to read any Batman comics. It's by the same principle that I object to people who are "huge comic fans" but refuse to read any non-superhero comic.

These people are "huge fans" of something that they refuse to explore and try out.
>>
>>78713028
What about 300, Ghost World, Heavy Metal, The Walking Dead, Kick Ass 1, Sin City 30 Days of Night, American Splendor, Fritz The Cat, Hercules, V for Vendetta, iZombie, The Strain, Kingsman, and Tales From The Crypt.
>>
>>78714036

There's a difference between refusing to read something and simply not reading something.

When these movie fans get comics recommended to them or are approached about entertaining the notion of reading comics, they are reluctant to the nth degree because they aren't interested in actually being nerds, they just want people to think they are for bonus social points.

When cape comic readers are recommended non-cape comics, they're far more likely to actually give them a go so long as the person recommending them isn't a pretentious twat (see: you)
>>
>>78714036
If someone says "I like movies" but only watches action movies, no one but a film snob would complain about it.

But if someone says "I like comics" but doesn't actually read any comics, then they're just a liar.
>>
>>78712758
what are actual comic books?
>>
>>78713133
Comics aren't in danger of ceasing to exist. It's just a niche interest. Accept and live with the fact that it's not mainstream and, mayhaps, be happy that "normies" aren't polluting it as badly.
>>
>>78714187

book with pictures and words in them as opposed to out of context panels posted on Tumblr and Reddit and live-action films/tv.
>>
>>78714186
I think that if someone does read comics, but only a specific genre of comics, and they avoid reading comics outside of that genre, then it isn't wrong to say that they are wrong when they call themselves a fan of comics. They're a fan of the genre.
>>
>>78713106
This 90% of people on /co that read comics are are casuals that only read marvel dc
>>
Comics are still pretty popular... in Asia.
>>
>>78712758
Superheroes are this popular now because Marvel has gone to great lengths to build this movie universe that is easy to get into. Superhero comic books are not easy to get into.
>>
>>78712758
This is a good thing you meme loving fuck op.

Why would you want normie sheeple
scum to influence comics?
>>
File: 1367125103050.jpg (344 KB, 571x1000) Image search: [Google]
1367125103050.jpg
344 KB, 571x1000
I'm probably the exactly the type of person the industry needs to cater to, to get more people into comics.

-First off, they're too expensive.
-Second off, despite paying for an issue, you still have to go across tons of ads which pulls you out of the story.
-Most heroes stopped being characters a long time ago, now they're just cooperate icons, it's hard to become attached to that.
-If you do get attatched to a hero, it's very possible that they're going to be given to a garbage writer that will completely ruin them.
-It's very possible the comic your reading can be canceled at any moment to make way for another comic series that is seemingly completely unrelated.
-Characters you like can go years without a series focused on them (CoughZatannaCough)
-SJW/Progressives spreading more and more into mainstream comics, the average person doesn't want to hear or deal with that shit. You got someone who may want to get into Thor cause of the movie, then he sees he's a chick? He'll be turned off and never come back.

Probably a lot more, but that's off the top of my head.
>>
Comic books are less eloquent then actual books and less expressive then moving pictures.
>>
>>78713683
>If we increase the visibility of non-kiddie and non-manchild comics, then this will change the public perception of the comics medium in the normie metaconsciousness zeitgeist.
Yeah, Dark Knight and Watchmen did that and it worked for like... 6 years?
>>
>>78713106
idk man everyone here seemed to love Archie vs Predator and Prez
>>
>>78721293
People that complain that people don't read "real comics" tend not to read themselves
>>
>>78712758
>>We live in an age where superheroes are more popular than anyone ever thought would be possible.
But they are not, they are nos as popular as in the 40s
>>
>>78713418
>I keep hearing people say shit like "LOL OH YEAH I LOVE HAWKEYE

Bullshit
>>
>>78712811
>>78712889
this guy gets it
>>
Some advertisements that weren't in the comic books that people already aren't reading would be a good start.
>>
>>78712758
Accept that comic books aren't the most immersive medium?

Christ, it's like a radio enthusiast bawwwing about television.
>>
>>78722333
>comic books aren't the most immersive medium

What the fuck does that have to do with anything?
Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.