[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Shows that have changed your life
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 165
Thread images: 47
File: jrzpsz.png (163 KB, 479x358) Image search: [Google]
jrzpsz.png
163 KB, 479x358
Post shows that have helped you become a better person. These can be shows that have taught you something, had you realize something you need to change about yourself, or had characters that you related to/showed you a part of yourself.

I'll start. I grew up in a very religious family in Missouri, (coincidentally by where the show takes place), where as a kid, I observed a lot of issues from my parents, along with the individuals I was around, and supposed to look up to. However, being a kid, along with many of the restrictions set on me by my community, I sort of blocked a lot of it out. As I grew older, these issues began to take more of my brain, as what happens with most teens growing up, and they began to really fuck with me. My life, the morals I grew up with were a lie; not even followed by the people who taught them to me, I began, like many in my family, to repress and drink away my problems, becoming an alcoholic, and generally kind of a piece of shit. I pushed my loved ones and friends away. I became bitter, and even worse, alone. During freshman year of college, I was still drinking daily, and going through another one of my bouts with depression, when eventually i stumbled upon the show Moral Orel. I realized from the show, particularly from both Orel and Clay, that other people, while being able to influence you, do not make your choices for you. In the end, you are the asshole, and the only way things will get better is if you make the legitimate decision to change yourself into a person worthy of respect and care. You make yourself into the human you are.
>>
File: Deal With It.jpg (71 KB, 450x335) Image search: [Google]
Deal With It.jpg
71 KB, 450x335
>>78671558
>>
Would Moral Orel break me? I'm bipolar depressive and I go very easily on melancolical benders of isolation and self hating.
>>
>>78671801
Yeah probably. It got me. It hurt.
>>
>>78671558
Is this show really one of the best cartoons ever made? I might watch it. How sad/dark is it exactly. Will it trigger depression in me?
>>
Anyone have a link to all the episodes? I decided I should watch it again. It was quite the emotional ride.
>>
File: steven-universe-01.jpg (77 KB, 600x450) Image search: [Google]
steven-universe-01.jpg
77 KB, 600x450
>>
>>78672065
It's all on Kisscartoon afaik.
>>
>>78672108
are you zamii? topkek
>>
File: South Park.png (1 MB, 1366x768) Image search: [Google]
South Park.png
1 MB, 1366x768
>You know, I've learned something...
>>
>>78671558
Moral Orel is GOAT, everything OP said was pretty much on the ball, vid related is a favourite clip of mine:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=BUSlGMTM1UQ
>>
>>78671558
>>78672108
>>78672260
Only real answers.
>>
>>78671801
How about you just man up, bitch nigga. Grow up first
>>
>>78671558

Call me a faggot, but whatever.

I never really had a great friend group growing up. I was always too distant from everyone for a variety of reasons. This ultimately made me very dependent on my family, and they were more than up to the task, telling me how they'd always be proud of me, and that they always wanted someone "different." For most of my life, I didn't really take much stock in it. Then I watched Gravity Falls, and it made me appreciate the affects of a great family relationship. I became a lot nicer to my family, especially my brother, and said 'thanks' a lot more often, and am more emotionally open to them.

Also, Dipper and Mabel had such a great dynamic that it got me some ideas for stories. I had written in years, even though my teachers said I was great at it. I started to publish fanfic, and it got pretty good reception. Having brought my old writing skills back, I now intend to start a 30 day drawing challenge, to further my creative talents, which I wouldn't have explored if not for this show.

So...thanks Alex.
>>
>>78671801
i mean, maybe? it probably won't make you feel like shit because it's just a bunch of horrible people being horrible, unless you can't take innocent people getting taken advantage of
>>
>>78672359
Good job, man.
>>
>>78672033
It is. It's very sad and dark. It may make you depressed.
>>
>>78671558
>I grew up in a very religious family in Missouri, (coincidentally by where the show takes place),

I thought Morel Orel took place in Statesota?
>>
>>78672579
I enjoy a deep cartoon though. So, it might be worth it.

>>78672359
Gravity Falls is beautiful in a way I can't explain. It reflects childhood and family so well.

>>78672260
South Park taught me basically anything I needed to know when I was a teen. Good show, good morals.

>>78672108
Fantastic show. Call it Tumblr all you want, but it has a really wonderful message told from this unique perspective that I find just marvelous.
>>
File: 1449769011183.jpg (47 KB, 700x481) Image search: [Google]
1449769011183.jpg
47 KB, 700x481
I needed to grow up and work to make myself better and he was the only positive role model that really seemed real.
It actually was really great that I could just netflix all the episodes at once. Hank was a completely deep character but you had to watch all of the episodes to understand.

I'm happy living within my means, crafting using my own hands and wits, and just enjoying the simple things like football, beer, and friends.
>>
>>78671558
...Ryan?
>>
>>78672816
Leslie?
>>
>>78672330
Why you gotta go and say that, mang...
I might just cry now.
>>
>>78672969
That's really close, and you did used to call me that. Did you have goats and a lot of brothers?
>>
>>78671558
The show takes place in Statesota anon. Stop projecting.
>>
>>78671558
>>78671801
>>78671941
>>78672033
I didn't see MO until some time last year and it made a huge impact on me. It starts very innocently with a simple formula but have way season 2 you see a major change as show shift more and more to other characters . I think my very favorite episode must be https://vimeo.com/71946733 titled Alone . the darkest most shocking think I ever saw. I don't mean drawn together kind of humor but very adult unsettling way it was represented. I think wat was really shocking is that those characters were more of a background character with very little impact on the story . I think this was the first time the nurse actually spoke. But the way all of the women were coping with their loneliness and issues was incredibly represented. It give me a perspective that even people that I don't speak to much could be deep and complex beings ,going through stuff. The drunken Monologues that Clay gives are just gold . the entire circle of misery since Clays father give up on him and the relationship with the wife is just so captivating and well written.
>>
>>78672598
You are correct
>>
>>78672359
>publish fanfic
lol
only losers write fanfic and then share it with people
>>
>>78672701
>but it has a really wonderful message
It's a really good show but I fail to see the message
>>
>>78673724
only losers write fanfic in general
>>
>>78673104
I meant in terms of area, anon
>>
>>78673969

>Doing what I like, in my own time, improving my own skills in writing, and sharing it with other people to criticise makes me a loser
>>
>>78672359
I also really like this show anon. I am into the parallels between Dipper and Mabel and Stan and Ford.
>>
>>78673863
it's okay to be gay
>>
File: Favim.com-17344.jpg (3 MB, 1500x2225) Image search: [Google]
Favim.com-17344.jpg
3 MB, 1500x2225
>>78671558
Not so much helped but rather realize that depression is a bitch that never goes away. That there's probably a good chance I'll never fix my issues, yet still be comfortable (at times) with who/what I am
>>
>>78674154
I don't get it
>>
>>78674329
then the show isn't for you, white hetero male cis scum
>>
>>78671558
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1tV29aD7dFI
>>
>>78674329
Let's say I'm actually a black lesbian trans sjw
What's the message?
>>
>>78671558

>fighting alcoholism

How bad were you? I was at a fifth-a-day. Also a huge fan Moral Orel, particularly the backstory for Clay.
>>
>>78671558
>I grew up in a very religious family in Missouri, (coincidentally by where the show takes place), where as a kid, I observed a lot of issues from my parents, along with the individuals I was around, and supposed to look up to.
Anon, you're lying. Moral Orel is just fedora tipping euphoric atheism, real christians do not act that way.
>>
>>78675124
Middle-America white trash ones do. But all white trash, religious or not, are subhuman.
>>
>>78674675
fifth a day, if i could afford/find it. Basically anything. I was really pathetic
>>
>>78675124
This was another point I should have made. The show, I believe, does a really good job showing through Orel what a real Christian is. Not a self-righteous discriminatory prick, but simply someone who loves God. I know real Christians are good people, because their faith is not a self-serving mean to act holier-than-thou, but rather simply having a relationship with their Savior. With the people in my life, however, this was not the case.
>>
>>78675239

Eh, it happens more often than you'd think. Do you have a support group of any kind? Not just AA but someone to talk to?
>>
>>78675644
I've actually bounced back pretty well. I reconnected with a lot of friends, and while I still drink occasionally, It's significantly less.
>>
Moral Orel was so fucking exceptional, and I'm so sad that we never got to see the whole of season 3
>>
Anyone gonna see Anamolisa?

Dino produced it
>>
File: image.jpg (29 KB, 414x561) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
29 KB, 414x561
I know it's not /co/ but I've never had a show or book change my life, but Fullmetal Alchemist did. I went though some really crazy stuff during my teen years and got super depressed but Fma or Fmab always pulled me though and inspired me a lot. I mean, I guess it's kind of stupid/autistic to say "lol yeah I depended on an anime/manga to get me through life", but I really did for this one and I still hold it as something important to me. I'm a much better person now because of it, I'm much stronger too.
>>
>>78676711

That's good to hear, a lot of people either HAVE to go cold turkey or just slink into kidney failure. Best of luck anon, don't fuck up as bad as I/others have.
>>
File: unsupervised.jpg (30 KB, 490x360) Image search: [Google]
unsupervised.jpg
30 KB, 490x360
>>78671558
>generic show about a lighthearted happy-go-lucky kid surrounded by a community of bitter, jaded adults
>life-changing

I don't understand how people can suck MO dick but can't even remember what happened it pic related
>>
>>78673065
Good, you should have grown out of that behavior 15 years ago. This isn't some bullshit college safe space, this is real life.
>>
>>78672108
>>78672701
>>78673863
>>78674154
>>78674329
>>78674387
https://youtu.be/YaG5SAw1n0c
>>
>>78674248
I fixed my clinical depression with exercise and improving everything I can in my life, especially hygiene. Trust me, it's usually fixes it for most people. I mean, I still have some existential depression, but at least I don't want to kill myself anymore or spend all day in bed getting fat.
Remember: the key is to always look two feet in front of you. Don't look at the horizon, that doesn't matter
>>
>>78673863
That recent episode about Sadie singing in the contest that ended with Steven crossdressing was awesome. Not because of Steven, but because when Sadie told them she didn't want to do it, they let her not do it and it ended with her talking to her mom. Basically all other shows end with the person who doesn't want to do something doing it anyway and they learn that sometimes you have to push yourself to do things that you don't want to do which is bullshit.
>>
>>78671748
kek
>>
File: smugcarface.png (251 KB, 508x318) Image search: [Google]
smugcarface.png
251 KB, 508x318
>>78674248
>>78680382
>MAN ISN'T THAT BOJACK CHARACTER RELATEABLE? I LOVE HIM BECAUSE WE'RE ALMOST ALL BRUTALLY DEPRESSED, SELF MEDICATING AND CASUALLY SUICIDAL AL THE TIME. SO WE RELATE TO HIM HAHA

This fucking guy.

You're probably a 20 something casually employed college student living in a first world country. You relate to Bojack because the funny cartoon horse man makes sad faces and acts like a social retard, but doesn't have any actual problems worth empathizing because he, like you, lives in a country where the opportunity to pull himself out of his mildly unfortunate state of existence is still totally within control. He, like you, just lacks the discipline or drive to do so, and instead expects everyone to coddle and feel bad for him while he simultaneously acts like a fucking brat. There is nothing else to this fetid self-righteous faux-deep cartoon. Some fans use "navel-gazing" to describe it and that's probably the most apt term possible, since all the show does is ask you to have a nice big frown alongside the self-entitled, lazy, barely-inconvenienced and totally unlikable main character.

The worst part, though, is if they made a show about a Bosnian war troupe, or a Chinese sweatshop worker, or a Middle-Eastern orphan, or someone in the first world with a genuine disability, or pretty much anything that isn't a totally ordinary and healthy man living in the United States with bullshit "depression" you fucking clowns wouldn't be able to sympathize with them on the same level as a cartoon horse, because you're too young and deprived of real world experience to empathize with what actual hardship feels like. Go outside.
>>
>>78683203
Here's your "epic post, screencapped" so the time you spent writing it could feel worth it.
>>
File: rly.jpg (34 KB, 681x496) Image search: [Google]
rly.jpg
34 KB, 681x496
>>78683307
>resorts to meme posting rather than coming up with a legit argument
not him, but when are Bojack Horseshit fans going to realize their show is a faux-deep pile of shit?

>so the time you spent writing it could feel worth it.

it's a copypasta bud, lurk moar.
>>
>>78674054
He's just insecure, anon.
>>
File: 1426126541104.gif (85 KB, 375x375) Image search: [Google]
1426126541104.gif
85 KB, 375x375
That show we can't talk about here.

I've met some of my best friends and done so much more traveling these last few years, even got a gf because of this show.
>>
File: 1448040605779.jpg (23 KB, 242x240) Image search: [Google]
1448040605779.jpg
23 KB, 242x240
>>78683709
good for you anon, your probably the first person of heard of that has gotten a POSITIVE effect from that show
>>
>>78671558
No cartoons or comics but I read a book that changed what I did a little - Bang the Drum Slowly. It's about a pitcher in the MLB who tries to make a catcher's final season because he has cancer better. The books last line is "From here on in, I rag on nobody."

Really made me think about how you don't know what people are going through and there's no reason to be mean to people, even jokingly unless you're sure they're okay with it.
>>
File: 1421180844216.jpg (108 KB, 497x732) Image search: [Google]
1421180844216.jpg
108 KB, 497x732
>>78683709
Hey, good for you, man.
>>
>>78671558

Moral Orel was a truly great show for pointing out the hypocrisy in all human beings, professing to believe in one thing, and then actually doing the opposite (this was one of Jesus' primary complaints about humanity in the gospels), but it didn't really change me, as I already knew that people are hypocrites - even good, highly moral, devoutly religious people.

I would be a liar if I said that My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic did not change my life. It got me into writing, which led to my first novel, which led to my first video game, which led to my first professional writing job. But as far as helping me be a better person?

I am a sad person. I struggled with severe depression brought on by mental illness which didn't start until I was in high school, and was left untreated until college. So many times, I felt like the only way to make the pain go away was death. After I got medical help, I found MLP on Know Your Meme, and decided to check it out. The simple, essential moral lessons in each episode were a refreshing ray of sunshine in my rather dark life. But it was particularly the character of Pinkie Pie, the element of Laughter, that brought me out of the doldrums. Always smiling, always trying to cheer up her friends, reminding them that things aren't that bad. Years later, I still think of her and her relentless optimism whenever I'm feeling sad, and the truth in her statement that it isn't that bad. It never is. Things are never, ever, ever as bad as they seem, and it took a pink pony to remind me of that.
>>
File: image.png (11 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
image.png
11 KB, 300x300
>>78683203

Uh-oh! We've got a negative nancy over here!
>>
File: 1340930491716.jpg (24 KB, 534x443) Image search: [Google]
1340930491716.jpg
24 KB, 534x443
>>78683709
what show?
>>
File: 31790083.png (98 KB, 880x907) Image search: [Google]
31790083.png
98 KB, 880x907
>>78671558
One big changer was definitely MLP.

First off it made me appreciate cartoons again, especially cartoons meant for a younger audience (wouldn't have watched it without all the reception if got on 4chan)
Secondly it gave me a huge creativity boost that lasted for years (on and off), and got me into drawing and animation.
And finally it made me remember some childhood stuff that you'd normally find on a dusty shelf.

Gravity falls also impacted me in some way. Even Steven Universe.

And I've just started watching "Star vs. the forces of evil" after seeing a thread about the best villain. Most people would agree that Toffee was a good villain.

Anyway first off I kinda skipped in the cartoon at some points, because it's pretty often random shit happening. But after watching the finale, I began appreciating the plot some more and re-watched the entire season twice.

Now I'm having a new 'MLP' feeling about this cartoon, and I'm thinking about animating some scenes.
>>
>>78683920
>>78684378
But isn't MLP geared towards very young children?
>>
soberanon here and one of the reasons I stopped drinking is I felt like I was one day going to end up as Clay, or a version of my own father (probably even worse)
>>
I got into this show when I was about 17. Although I didn't know it at the time, I was suffering from serve anxiety and had undiagnosed bipolar disorder. Because of this, I hate my life and retreated to fiction to escape it. At the time, there were only three seasons. I loved the humor and references that they would make. Idk it was a nice and acceptable break from the reality that I hated.

I'm 24 now. Things have gotten better, although there is a lot of room for improvement. I particularly related to Dean a lot because like him, I have a love/hate relationship with my family. Another thing is that I that I didn't want to show it to my closest friends at first because I was afraid that they would think that it was lame but eventually they got into on their own and ended up loving it. One even got a VB themed tattoo.

I don't know if it's "changed my life" but it's certainly been there for me a lot.

I know this sounds kinda faggy but I'm drunk at the moment. So forgive me
>>
>>78684467
Yes it is, but it's also family friendly
>>
>>78684167
You know. The one.
>>
>>78683203
>if you aren't a black trans iraqi woman in a sweatshop you have no ability to experience negative emotions
>>
>>78684167
p o n y
>>
File: Jack n' Eddy.png (118 KB, 445x633) Image search: [Google]
Jack n' Eddy.png
118 KB, 445x633
>>78671558
I watched a lot of cartoons growing up, but when it came to shows that had an impact on me, I'd say Ed Edd n Eddy or Courage. They just made me happy about being a bit dumb.
>>
File: 1409076649643.jpg (42 KB, 432x288) Image search: [Google]
1409076649643.jpg
42 KB, 432x288
>>78684550
>>78684847
oh jeez
>>
>>78684467

>comics and cartoons
>>
>>78671558
Cartoon Horse Program got me friends when I was lonely and depressed, a queer gf who helped me through some horrible times, and it got me writing again.
Or is that more of the fandom then the show itself?
>>
>>78673969
Losers and best-selling authors.
>>
>>78685075
what's a queer gf?
>>
>>78685166
A slut.
>>
File: UUr gey.jpg (12 KB, 242x193) Image search: [Google]
UUr gey.jpg
12 KB, 242x193
>>78685166
A girlfriend who is queer, so my dyke partner in dyke things.
>>78685210
This too.
>>
>>78675124
You keep assuming people are trying to tell you that ALL christians are this way when it's just a show telling a story. You're being autistic.
>>
>>78683203
You realize empathy and sympathy are two different things right? Get your head out of your arse. Even this post you made here is probably an attempt to make yourself feel better than everyone else rather than a genuine shout-out to the less fortunate. You using the terms 'sympathy' and 'empathy' interchangeably (which is wrong) while doing neither.
>>
File: Now I'm JAWESOME!.png (926 KB, 3154x1002) Image search: [Google]
Now I'm JAWESOME!.png
926 KB, 3154x1002
>>78671558
>>78671748

Something about this juxtaposition made me laugh so hard.
>>
File: 1451648949923.jpg (79 KB, 500x660) Image search: [Google]
1451648949923.jpg
79 KB, 500x660
>>78686122

Keked and check'd
>>
File: image.jpg (81 KB, 382x550) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
81 KB, 382x550
>>78685221

How come people on /co/ don't freak out when they find out another poster is female?
>>
>>78686410
Didn't a poll show /co/ as majority girls?
It's luck anyways, sometimes you get flipped out on, sometimes not.
>>
>>78687159
I bet if you polled /a/ the majority of them would "identify" themselves as girls too

its like 90% guys
>>
File: composition had me like.png (148 KB, 310x394) Image search: [Google]
composition had me like.png
148 KB, 310x394
probably AWOG
back in 2011 when it premiered i was almost 14 and felt like a piece of shit all the time because my closest friend (my cousin) basically stopped caring about me and some other complex reasons and yeah i did think of killing myself then n then.

this show was one of the beautifully animated things on tv in a longtime since like ren and stimpy; eventually i decided to check out /co/ properly again in june 2011 and stuck around in the gumball threads, and it later became a gateway into the rest of 4chan for me, starting with /mu/ (ITAOTS helped me listen to other genres than IDM, not joking. at least SAW85-92 and geogaddi are /mu/core) and then onto /int/, [s4s], /pol/, /v/ and /vr/

nowadays i dont really feel any better. im cautious bout killing myself though incase theres a hell and i burn forever oss (and i dont like telling people this incase the pigs track me down and kidnap me in jail) but it did help for at least half a year (until the effects of the show wore off and i realised the writing wasnt too good. thank fuck it got better in exchange for animation quality)

i dont believe in psychiatrists spreading hateful lies to me (dont ask) and trying to put me on drugs and breaking their confidentiality to the police in some cases, so thats sowt

and like other people here, i was really fond of the horse show around the same time, even comparing it to S1-8 simpsons in terms of quality at one point. i also mostly loved undertale
>>
>>78678107
FMA was the first thing I thought of after reading the idea for the thread.
Great stuff there, anon.
But yeah, it isn't Western.
>>
File: 250px-Boxeddaria1.gif (22 KB, 250x188) Image search: [Google]
250px-Boxeddaria1.gif
22 KB, 250x188
I've gotten a little frog in my throat for tons of cartoons, maybe even misty-eyed, but this episode made me full on cry. Getting goosebumps right now just recalling particular scenes
>>
>>78672108
The thing I appreciate most about Steven Universe is that it's so remarkably free of cynicism.
>>
File: maxresdefault (1).jpg (131 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault (1).jpg
131 KB, 1280x720
May not get a lot of recognition considering how new it is, but the new show "F is for Family" is an intimate look at the dynamics of the middle class family in the 1970's. Although I don't have an appreciation for the setting, episode six had probably one of the most human moments of television I have ever had the pleasure of watching.

>Scene For Reference
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TZUiqX9Ypg4
>>
File: image.jpg (37 KB, 480x480) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
37 KB, 480x480
Sandman, specifically Death, got me through some hard times. She's a cheerful positive character who loves you no matter what, and that last part is important when you feel like no one gives a damn about you.
>>
>>78683541
>>78683203
I really don't get this evangelical notion these people have of needing to police the subjective experience of others.

Just fuck off to some Reddit hugbox where you can ban everyone with an opinion you don't like.
>>
>>78683203
see
>>78684563

I don't really care about Bosnian war troupes, Chinese workers, or ME orphans. I don't mean to sound like an edge-lord, but I really don't. All these war movies that come out and show the brutal reality of what America did/is doing to Iraq and Afghan, I don't need a TV show to show me any of that. I know Goddamn well it's going on and was able to find it out on my own.

The fact of the matter is that I enjoy Bojack because, A) you're right, I do have major depression and I do see a lot of myself in Bojack, and B) it's actually executed and shown in a way that make me give a shit. Plenty form of media have tried to deal with depression and not too many actually get the message across.

However, you're entire post seemed like it was just anger for something that is popular that you don't like.
>>
>>78691280
sounds like that might encourage people to kill themselves
>>
>>78683709
>>78683709
Thanks to that show I've discovered /co/.
And thanks to /co/ I've discovered much better shows.
Thank you cartoon voldemort.
>>
>>78672260

I couldn't think of anything before I saw this. South park is really the only cartoon, hell even the only show that taught me anything.
>>
>>78678216
>Moral Orel
>generic
>>
>>78685075
Oh yeah, it also got me thousands of dollars from conventions. So that's cool.
>>
>>78692222
You know, the thing I enjoy about Bojack isn't that it accurately shows depression. It's that it accurately shows people who are messing up their own lives through dumb decisions, and who don't change overnight because of some magic decision. In the end, Bojack is living a crappy life because he can't just change. He's stuck in a habit of twenty years of living like an asshole, and even realising that doesn't make you able to just snap out of it.
>>
>>78686410
sorry about that, we forgot
>>78685221
LONDON
>>
File: With HOT FUDGE.png (366 KB, 641x274) Image search: [Google]
With HOT FUDGE.png
366 KB, 641x274
>>78695012
London?
>>
Mlp
>>
>>78673365
Y'know, while it's been talked about to death, Nature gets me especially because while I wasn't an alcoholic I had terrible sense of of nothingness and failure like clay. And like him, I hurt my family, my younger siblings mostly. And I thought I was toughening them up, but they're lost to me. Clay lost orel as well, not physically, but emotionally, just like i lost mine.
>>
File: bojack.webm (946 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
bojack.webm
946 KB, 1280x720
I empathized more with Princess Carolyn than Bojack, but the show as a whole was a great shoulder to lean/cry on.
>>
>>78695193

4chan meme. There was a guy on /fit/ who asked every girl he came across on the board if they were from London.
>>
File: 1449789304689.png (2 MB, 1114x1318) Image search: [Google]
1449789304689.png
2 MB, 1114x1318
>>78696082
Mystery solved.
>>
>>78688555
Naw, when I've been on /a/ they're still pretty heavy into the "girls? on the INTERNET?" joke.
The only one that's certain is /cm/ though
>>
File: image.jpg (158 KB, 1024x356) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
158 KB, 1024x356
>>78687159

>/co/

>majority girls

Define "girl".
>>
>>78683709
I've met most of the people I'm close friends with thanks to this show (in one way or another). So yeah, it did lots of good things to me and I had a great time with it. Nowadays I lost all interest in it but it was sure as hell worth it, 5/5, time well spent.
>>
>>78698249
>I've never seen only one of these words before
Send help
>>
>>78698249
Jeez, I'm fine with headcannons about gender but for gods sake pick one
>>
File: image.gif (938 KB, 296x211) Image search: [Google]
image.gif
938 KB, 296x211
>>78698367

>not watching the S5 finale
>>
>>78693285
Mad Men's a lot like that. You see Don try to change and improve his life but he constantly fails. For almost an entire season it seems like he's finally how he wants to be but then he falls back into his old ways.
>>
>>78690682

Yeah Daria made a big difference in making me understand that just because you think you're smarter than other people doesn't make you better than them, or less prone to doing selfish things and feeling selfish feelings.
>>
>>78696054
Princess Caryolyn was cute

Not just because she's a cat, but her personality in general
>>
>>78699093
It was shit and you know it. S5 was garbage other than the 2 episode premiere
>>
File: 1430298658853.png (17 KB, 200x200) Image search: [Google]
1430298658853.png
17 KB, 200x200
>>78704336
The episode was fine, but villain's motivations were fucking STUPID.

>tfw I expected /co/ to shit on me for bringing it up at all
>tfw it all went better than expected.
>>
>>78671558
How much of this is feelsy and connects to the main plot? from what I've seen and heard, it's all kinda disconected till the last season. should I watch the whole show or just that?
>>
File: bobs-burgers.jpg (105 KB, 665x375) Image search: [Google]
bobs-burgers.jpg
105 KB, 665x375
i hope i'm as good as a father as bob is. The family is so close and loving it really changed my view on how families can be. Mine is getting better, but when me and my 2 sisters were kids, our family was not very close at all, and i was annoyed by my sisters and wouldve rather been at a friends. its gotten better as we' re all adults now, but damn are the belchers have the family closeness that i never knew i missed
>>
>>78683709
those first 2 seasons and fandom were straight magical. all of the funny stuff created, being up on streamtube or whatever not even watching the show, just youtube videos.Before the bronies. What a time.
>>
File: fooly_cooly_baby_by_gucciemann.jpg (413 KB, 1280x1024) Image search: [Google]
fooly_cooly_baby_by_gucciemann.jpg
413 KB, 1280x1024
>>78678107
>i will never watch this as a 15 year old again

fuck.
>>
File: ruroken.jpg (80 KB, 736x414) Image search: [Google]
ruroken.jpg
80 KB, 736x414
There are a bunch of shows I've LOVED, particularly stuff like the DCAU, Pinky and the Brain, Avatar, Bojack Horseman, etc.

That being said, I know it's an anime, but Kenshin himself was a HUGE influence on me as a kid. He showed me the impact a truly decent person could have on the people around him, and the importance of being kind to others on general principle. He was a role model in his struggle to be a better person, and rising above the circumstances of his past
>>
>the meaning is that life has no meaning
>That's a good thing though, give yourself your own meaning
>"Nobody belongs anywhere, Nobody exists on purpose, Everyone's Gonna die, Come watch TV"
>You can be depressed as fuck but it's still good to have a laugh every now and then
>You can be a smart and mature human being but immature humor is still funny
>occasional stutters in speech don't make you a complete awkward mess (Maybe that one's just me)
>>
>>78683709
while i never discussed the show here or elsewhere (i think) and generally find very little of value in the social aspect of any fandom, the show itself was a bit of a watershed moment

it really broadened my horizon and taught me that target demographic has surprisingly little impact on personal perceived quality and enjoyability of a show
>>
>>78709711
i seriously can't watch that show too much because jerry and beth's marriage is so depressing
>>
File: ow_the_yellow_edge.png (177 KB, 485x436) Image search: [Google]
ow_the_yellow_edge.png
177 KB, 485x436
No /co/, please no.
I though the bad times were over, please don't remind me.
>>
>>78710070
I thought the interdimensional cable episode made that better. Also the Love Potion and meeseeks episodes. Jerry wants what's best for the family and Beth doesn't wanna lose Rick again. Both these ideas tend to start conflict between them, but when they don't have to worry about that, it's usually evident that they're perfect for each other.
>>
>>78710070
That's marriage. For better or worse, it's a choice.
All things considered, their marriage is as solid as it could ever actually be
Even the intergalactic marriage counselors were astounded how it stays together
>>
>>78683203
>he thinks that the U.S. has class mobility
>>
>>78684167
This is the perfect litmus test to tell that someone's new.
>>
>>78709012
Watch the whole show. It's mostly comedy but the season finale and some of the second season has more serious stuff. Also they call back to the early stuff and it's not like it's a lot of time - the episodes are short.
>>
File: charles bradley hug.jpg (78 KB, 720x481) Image search: [Google]
charles bradley hug.jpg
78 KB, 720x481
>>78671558
>>78672359
>>78673365
>>78683920
Come here and give me a hug anons. Right NOW!
>>
I've used cartoons, comics, and webcomics as friend simulators for many years

it wasn't until I stopped reading them and started talking to people that I became a better person. now they're like an emotional crutch I come back to when everything in my life is going wrong. sorry op.
>>
>>78707975
The motivations were flimsy as fuck but that's not what irked me the most. She was a fucking sociopath, I would have been surprised if her motivation WASN'T petty and underwhelming.

What got me was the 0 to 60 acceleration in her turn-around. All of her potential as an interesting villain was pissed out the window in favor of hastily, sloppy 'redemption' montage.

>Yeah, she nearly destroyed all of time and space for revenge, but she did it for the right reasons.
>Her feelings were hurt! You've all done something silly when we're upset, right?
>>
>>78671558
Helped define my sense of humor.
>>
>>78709403
>you'll never stay up past your bedtime on a school night binging on this full of fear for the characters
>you'll never be shown the truth behind the Ishvalin war for the first time again
>you'll never have that hankering wonder if Ed and Al ever get their bodies back
It hurts desu senpai
>>
>>78714239
Horse people are not rational people. They're like fairies, they only feel one thing at a time and they REALLY fucking feel it.
>>
>>78671801

Were you raised Conservative Christian? If so then it'll completely break you.

If not then it depends on how well you do with hypocracy and if you admired people who later turned out to be not only hypocrites but horrible assholes.
>>
>>78714992
I enjoyed Moral Orel and while I was raised in a conservative family going to a Pentecostal church twice a week, my parents aren't hypocrites. They're wonderful people. They don't like LGBT stuff and abortions and other things but they're still super nice people. In fact I'd say the nicest people I've known have been religious.

Just trying to say you can definitely enjoy the show with good role models.
>>
>>78704336

>it was shit

I'll admit that I didn't want to see yet another villain redeemed, but then I realized that Glimmer HAD to be redeemed, or else we wouldn't have gotten that awesome time-traveling finale.

In order to show all the different futures of Equestria, they had to establish that the tiniest change in the past causes HUGE changes in the future. And so they established that every time Twilight tried to stop Glimmer, the future changed.

So the only way to stop the future from changing was if Glimmer willingly CHOSE to stop. And the only way to do that was if she turned good.
>>
>>78714992

I'm a conservative Christian (although I think someone who followed ALL the teachings of Jesus Christ would find himself sharply at odds with both liberals and conservatives), and I'm >>78683920
>>
>>78684502
I get you senpai, on everything. I took a lot of inspiration from the artstyle, this show helped me endure those awkward years and made me push through with drawing cause I wanted to emulate it so bad. Listening to the commentary helped with that too, especially with not ever completely giving up on art for some reason.

Venture Bros also did get me to look at shit I would otherwise not be interested in just because it was referenced in an episode.
>>
>>78671558
spongebob
south park
adventure time
>>
>>78709711
depression and psychedelics in highschool had already taught me these themes but fuck was i happy the world got to see these messages in such a funny & interesting format. much more accessible than what i had
>>
File: 1414465618161.gif (606 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
1414465618161.gif
606 KB, 500x375
>>78671801
this is the reason why i've been putting off this show and other shows... i am aware that it's pathetic.
>>
File: 200px-Seymourstill.jpg (8 KB, 200x150) Image search: [Google]
200px-Seymourstill.jpg
8 KB, 200x150
>>
>>78716773
Nice thumbnail.
>>
File: 1451312312092.png (28 KB, 129x130) Image search: [Google]
1451312312092.png
28 KB, 129x130
>>78672359
That's heartwarming as shit nigga. Keep loving your family.
>>
>>78671558
>Courage the cowardly dog

I was a easily frightened child, but watching Courage taught me it's ok to be scared, but it's not ok to let it control you and not everything is as scary as you think it its.
>>
File: 1447571675500.jpg (42 KB, 500x285) Image search: [Google]
1447571675500.jpg
42 KB, 500x285
>No Green Lantern TAS
I watched it and it definitely taught me a lot of stuff , primarily about hope and willpower. I loved the interactions with the Blue Lanterns, especially Ganthet's little speech to the other Guardians about how we all need hope, that got me hard. I loved the Blue Lanterns so much, I memorized their oath to say mentally whenever I feel anxious or scared. Also seeing Hal and his crew always trying their best in any situation and how noble and good intentioned they were was encouraging to see.

Another show I liked was Batman: The Brave and the Bold, because it just showed golden/silver age silliness, like saying "hey, don't be serious all your life, have some fun here and there." Seeing Batman and Co save and change lives was great and it was reassuring to see goodness truimp over evil, like everything's going to be alright.
>>
>>78704317
My favorite episode of Bojack was her episode in season 1, it basically showed that even a successful person who still doing great things, unlike Bojack, can still get a bit depressed from time to time. She spent so much time and energy into her work that it left her vulnerable in just about everything else.
>>
>>78717313
>BTAB got canceled for the CGI batman that didn't even last the entire season and we were told straight to our faces, "The execs said the fans wanted a more serious batman than us. Sorry guys, we really loved doing this but we don't call the shots. Hope you had fun!"
>>
Believe me or not, but the first season of Digimon has some good lessons about being yourself, being unique, and bypassing social circles to work together with other motivated people. Also teaches you to never give up, keep fighting, and all that other standard cool stuff for kids that all the 80's and 90's cartoons did.
>>
File: dariaandjane.jpg (38 KB, 600x400) Image search: [Google]
dariaandjane.jpg
38 KB, 600x400
>>78717313
I loved GL:TAS as well. I've loved Saint Walker since he appeared in the comics, but the show definitely gave me some feels. Didn't change me, though I consider Saint Walker a real ideal to emulate, but was a good experience.

Gargoyles got me into Shakespeare as a kid. Fantasy too probably.

I was Lisa Simpson--valedictorian, musician, philosophical--hell maybe I considered vegetarianism because I saw her do it first. I realized that you can't vocalize your outrage that much because it always blew up in her face.

Daria got me through my cynicism in high school and made it funny. Thankfully I had a friend who was more Daria than I was, and I definitely could see how miserable being a Daria was.

>>78698249
WTF are these words even. Fucking kids and their need to feel special over fucking nothing.
>>
>>78717533
I thought TBATB had a good run, 3 seasons seemed enough. I didn't want it to get stale, and the finale was great.
>>
>>78717533
BATB had a great finale though. It ended just as it needed to.
>>
>>78683203

"What right do you have to be happy? Other people have a better quality of life, better friends and family and experiences and skills than you - you shouldn't be happy." Despair is not a competitive race to the bottom, lasting internalized sadness not at a specific event or experience but more immersive is not limited by class, race or background. Bojack also helps to illustrate that even self-entitled, lazy, unlikable or brattish people have feelings and insecurities and anxieties that in part fuel their behavior. We can't accept it or tolerate it but we can understand it and at times try to reach out through to the culprit and try to empathize with them.

I hope you feel better anon if that is why you are lashing out.
>>
>>78683203
You're an asshole, but you make some good points.
>>
>>78683709
Now now, a Dakimakura is not a gf anon.
>>
>>78709221
My negro.

I was going through a pretty bad breakup and on a whim decided to watch this. Needlsess to say I loved it, but marathoned the first 4 seasons. I would watch 6 - 7 episodes a day, go to sleep at about 10 am.

I found the genuine family dynamic comforting. I realized it made me want to be with my family, that I needed them. Tina and Louise's dynamic reminded me of me and my younger sister's. She even says I looked like Tina when ihad longer hair (I'm a guy). Bob reminds me of my dad in the sense that he's always trying to do right by us.

The ukelele in the intro instantly soothes me now. It's almost pavlovian.
Thread replies: 165
Thread images: 47

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.