[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What makes this still Snyder's best Batbook?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 2
File: 81rn4wK5M-L.jpg (376 KB, 1008x1500) Image search: [Google]
81rn4wK5M-L.jpg
376 KB, 1008x1500
Is it because it's pre-Flashpoint?
Is it because of Dick?
Is it because Snyder always tries to have something big and epic, and failing to stick the landing?
Or are people just tired of Snyder's writing quirks?
>>
>>78647335
>Is it because Snyder always tries to have something big and epic
Thats a good thing.
>>
Jock

Francavilla
>>
>>78647335
it really is because of Dick

Court of Owls was so clearly meant to be a Dickbats story that it hurts

and also the art
>>
>>78647335
>Is it because of Dick?
>Is it because Snyder always tries to have something big and epic, and failing to stick the landing?

It's both of these. Dick is just a much better character than Bruce and there's so much more to do and explore with him. I do like that he's trying to show us a new take on Bruce, but the whole Bloom thing going on right now is just so overbloated. He also wrote Dick perfectly here (which boggles my mind as to how horribly he's written him in Batman and Batman & Robin Eternal.

Snyder is an amazing writer but his eyes are a bit too big for his stomach most of the time, I think he needs to focus on tighter and smaller stories, focusing more on mystery and character. I wish he'd go to like 3, maybe 4 issue arcs with some plotlines running over multiple arcs (like with Black Mirror).

>>78648302
So damn right.

>>78648262
They both are much better at setting a tone and atmosphere I think that Capullo at times (as nice as his art is).
>>
>a poorly-written Joker
>shock value gore
>an ambiguous ending
This isn't all that different from every other Bat-story he's written.
>>
>>78647335
I am a bit confused as to where it takes place in the timeline, since Joker still has his RIP look, but I thought Joker and Dickbats didn't meet until Batman and Robin?

or was this immediately before Joker took on the Oberon Sexton personality
>>
Snyder can't write Bruce to save his life.

Thank god CoO wasn't a Dick story or we'd probably have to suffer from Dick acting like he did in the story we got.
>>
>>78648498
This takes place right during Batman Inc, I think.
>>
>>78648723
weird
>>
>>78647335
>Is it because it's pre-Flashpoint?
Meh. Tim as Red Robin and Barbara as Oracle didn't really do too much.
>Is it because of Dick?
Yes. Snyder writes a better Dick than he does Bruce, and Dick doesn't that many good stories, making this more memorable.
>Is it because Snyder always tries to have something big and epic, and failing to stick the landing?
Yes. Notice how Black Mirror does what CoO, DOTF, and Endgame do. It has a "villain doesn't do it haha... OR DOES HE!?" ending AND the villain rants for like six pages, explaining his plan to the reader. While James Jr Was new, you could attribute those quirks to his character, but Snyder has done it in just about every story of his now.
>Or are people just tired of Snyder's writing quirks?
Yes.
>>
>>78648424
This.

Snyder's long form Batman run is pretty consistent with the aesthetic and structure of Black Mirror.

The key difference is that Black Mirror was a relatively low stakes story, one that allowed the writer to breath a bit.

Ever since Snyder's taken the reigns of the mainline book, he's been pressed to make EVERY ARC even BIGGER and more INSANE than the previous arc.

Batman is a A-list book that demands constant,
endless hype.
Detective Comics is a B-list book and is free to basically do whatever it wants to do.
>>
Snyder came up with some really good villains here. The Dealer, James Jr, Sonia Zucco (kind of)
>>
>>78647335
The only people that say that are Dickfags like this moron >>78648421
>>
>>78648302
>Court of Owls was so clearly meant to be a Dickbats story that it hurts
How so? Honest question.
>>
>>78649733
The whole thing "You were meant to be one of us" thing about Dick for starters.
>>
>>78649733
>>78649769
That, and Snyder himself admitted as much before retooling it into a Bruce story.
>>
>>78649733
Dick destined to be a Talon and thus the plot is pretty much centered around him, it's more in keeping with the "secrets of Gotham" theme that defined most Dickbats stories, owls are birds and Dick has birds as his superhero theme
>>
>>78649664
Anyone who's not retarded says that.
>>
>>78647335
eeeer, no. Snyder is one of the best writers in the biz. The diff between Tec and the main book is one is a noir detective story and the other is Batman the action/cape. If you don't admit Court of Owls up through death of the family is technically great than you just don't have an understanding of makes a comic good.
>>
>>78648498
after Bruce returns.
>>
>>78651438
go to bed, Scott
>>
I am indifferent to Leatherface Joker, but my god Endgame's timeless phantom Candyman Joker was everything I ever fucking wanted from the character and they pussyed the fuck out. God damn bastards.
>>
>>78651514
Serious House on a Serious Earth is probably right up your alley, then
>>
>>78650186
Nah, only kids that have read few batman stories and worship Dick say that.

Now go, I am sure there is an ass thread where you should post
>>
File: scottsnyder.png (16 KB, 715x246) Image search: [Google]
scottsnyder.png
16 KB, 715x246
>>78649733
>>
>>78651542
Thanks Man, I will check it out.
>>
>>78651567
don't let the art and lettering turn you off the first time
>>
>>78650186
No, mostly Dickfags say that.
>>
>>78651438
He is not one of the best writers in the business, neither now nor in the future.
>>
>>78651565
That's literally him saying the opposite
>>
>>78651565
People are just going to ignore this because it will break their narrative
>>
>>78651712
It was going to be a Dickbats story except Dick would probably be horribly OOC and/or it just didn't fit him.
>>
>>78651565
bull dinky he realized it was a Bruce story, he got the call that New 52 was coming and he got Batman and just reworked his original idea
>>
>>78651712
So you can't read?
The idea started as such but while planning it he understood he was a Batman story. So no, it wasn't a Dick story outside of its inception.
>>
>>78651844
>The idea started as such but while planning it he understood he was a Batman story.
No, it was a Bruce story, he literally says "It was a Bruce story"
>>
>>78651685
He is now, and the future is unknown. And saying he isn't is not an argument. Say something substantial next time.

>>78651476
Right after you go to hell
>>
>>78651915
he relies far too heavily on text box narration while rarely letting the art do the storytelling to be a good comics writer
>>
>>78651542
Meh, I feel like Morrison's Arkham might be t he most overrated Batman story ever written.
>>
>>78651942
>reading hurst my brain I just want to look at pretty pictures
>>
>>78651985
there needs to be balance, anon

and Snyder does not have that balance
>>
>>78651985
Snyderfags are so embarrassing.
>>
>>78651557
Nah, anyone with good taste in comics says that.
>>
>>78651942
Kind of, but not really. He throws a lot of exposition at the reader, yes, but it still serves the narrative. Look at Lobdell if you want an example of narration boxes done horribly.
>>
>>78651985
go read Red Hood and the Outlaws

it tells you everything you don't have to hurt your brain trying to put two and two together
>>
>>78653451
Not really, but keep believing that. I am sure your small circlejerk of Dickfags makes you believe that's the truth.
>>
>>78653585
nice meme
>>
>>78648302
>>78651565
>>
>>78654406
well then he didn't do a very good job of making it a Bruce story
>>
>>78651985
Pretty much this. This is why comic books are dying. The writers talk down to the audience so much that anyone with half a brain can't take it seriously.
>>
>>78647784
Not really.
Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.