[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So he just gave up, didn't he? After the mouse made him
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 5
File: Cast_alex_hirsch.jpg (40 KB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
Cast_alex_hirsch.jpg
40 KB, 640x360
So he just gave up, didn't he?

After the mouse made him go to XD and refused his three seasons+movie he just stopped trying?
>>
Oh for fuck sake, he's just a hack. He had his moment of brilliance, but it grew stale.
>>
>>78642096

Basicarri, yeah anon
>>
>>78642096
Disney begged him a third season.
Stop trying to make Disney look like the bad guy here when Alex deserves all the blame for being a lazy cunt.
>>
>>78642096
Shut up and make your own series.
>>
>>78642096
He's just a hack, man.
>>
>>78642332
he couldnt think up a good end or disney wouldn't let him do the end he wanted.
the show was great up until weirdagedon.
bill lost all character and the mysteries were pretty much all pointless now.
>>
>>78642096
>>78642332
>>78642369

I don't know who's Jewing who.
>>
>>78642457
The show always had its bad episodes, and after Tale of Two Stans it was a particularly bad streak.

Bill was a crappy character, and no writer worth a damn would set someone so overpowered as a final boss against two kids.
>>
>>78642462
I'm exagerrating my disdain for comic effect, but I don't like it anymore the way I used to.
>>
It's very likely that Alex was really just tired of working for disney, and he declined to work on a third season and the movie because of that
>>
File: poo_by_kawiko-d4lian8.png (114 KB, 292x402) Image search: [Google]
poo_by_kawiko-d4lian8.png
114 KB, 292x402
Just wait, his next series will be a Superjail tier trainwreck on Adult Swim that only airs for 5 episodes.
>>
>>78642502
>no writer worth a damn would set someone so overpowered as a final boss against two kids

You know that's not the real problem, media for kids always has something like that. The writing for Weirdmageddon just sucks.

And Bill was not a crappy character before the finale, that's new.
>>
>>78643229
Bill wasn't really a character before that.

If you make discrepancy between powerlevels too big, it stops being interesting. That's what happened.
>>
>>78643265

Bill was as much a character pre-Weirdmageddon as he is now.

Pretty much every show or book aimed at kids had little kids fighting Evil Empires or Evil Wizard Societies or something that reasonably little kids wouldn't be fighting. It's always going to be ludricrous. You can try to get around it by bringing in forces like magic and competent adult helpers. Gravity Falls has both. Yeah it will be dumb, but no dumber than everything else for kids.
>>
>>78643372
It's not ridiculous. Kids can sneak around and jump evil emperor or some shit. Heroes are always at disadvantage, and we are thrilling to see them close the gap with wit, resolve or some other shit.

But at some point it becomes impossible to close this gap. This is what kills the story. Good writer would leave his kids options that are conceivable at least.
>>
>>78643451

Bill apparently already has big weaknesses like being defeated by a Friendship Circle. That said yes, like everyone said this is why it was better when he had no physical form so that was his weakness, he had to trick you to do anything. That was a huge limitation for the character. Now all his weaknesses will be asspull Deus ex Machinas, it didn't have to be that way.
>>
Watch the show will end with Dipper grabbing Bill and leaping into a portal with him. Making everything turn perfectly back to normal but Dipper is never to be seen again.
>>
>>78643537
Power of emotion plot is a great thing when your villain is a manifestation of some issues.

Like in Over the Garden Wall, Beast was embodiment of despair or something, so Wirt refused to give in to despair and killed him. That was great.
At this point Hirsch didn't really set up anything that would let him gracefully use this trope.
>>
>>78643156
He said he didn't want to be a showrunner on whatever he works on next.
>>
>>78643605
>At this point Hirsch didn't really set up anything that would let him gracefully use this trope.

Well that was sort of how Sock Opera ended, with Bill trying to drive a wedge between the twins and Mabel choosing Dipper over her own desires at the end. It's easier when an enemy is all mental, which Bill was until now. It was more about willpower.

>>78643537

Even Hirsch is not enough of an asshole to pull that.
>>
>>78644143
>Even Hirsch is not enough of an asshole to pull that.

Meant for

>>78643548
>>
>>78643548
That would be a happy ending for certain people.
>>
You wanna know what happened? I think I have a good idea:

First and foremost, Alex is overworked. Gravity Falls is his baby, and he works on every single aspect of it he can. It's not one of those 11 minute shows that 11 different writers get to put a hand in on. He had his vision of where the plot was going from start to finish, what characters would do, etc. Obviously he didn't write every single letter, but he always had a hand in guiding it. He has, on several occasions, pointed out how furiously he works at the office.

Now compound that with the fact that he works for Disney, and the stress level is amplified. The Mouse is notorious for micro-managing things. Sure, he managed to get away with quite a bit on the show, but he also had to fight tough and nail for most of it (that wasn't just overlooked by execs.) Hell, he had to practically beg them to cut a half year long hiatus down to just four months. Disney's bizarre scheduling formula that would only see new episodes every couple weeks, at best, not to mention their less than enthusiastic response to producing merchandise for the show (like pushing barfing gnome adult Halloween masks,) obviously took a toll as well. He simply made the show and had no real control over merch, airdates, web stuff, games, etc.

But perhaps most importantly, Alex has a friend named Justin, who has made one of the most critically acclaimed cartoons in the past few years next to Gravity Falls.

And it's for adults.

I'm not saying Alex hates doing kid stuff, but compare his strict Disney setting to what Justin's allowed to do with Rick & Morty, which is basically whatever the fuck. He wants that shot to do something fun and different and not under a ton of different thumbs. Also, Alex has always envisioned GF as a contained story anyway, a tale of a single summer, not some long winded epic. It was either now or soon.
>>
>>78644745
Don't get me wrong, I hate that GF is ending, and I think ever since Ford showed up the show has taken a massive dive in quality, many plotlines rushed or abandoned, a bunch of things that don't really make sense in the grand scheme of a show that was always so well thought out.

But if it makes Alex happy and he creates something equal or greater, with a lot more freedom to do so, then cool. We'll see.
>>
>>78644791
I agree the show has changed since Ford's arrival, but I think it changed in a good way.

The only bad things I have to say about the 2nd half of season 2 is that it feels.... kinda rushed when going from Not What He Seems to Weirdmageddon. Plus, I'm disappointed that Ford shows up when the series is about to end, leaving very little chance for him to star in episodes.
Plus, I think Stan and Ford have had way too little interaction between each other since A Tale of Two Stans... We're on the last episode and they still haven't interacted much...
>>
>>78645613

Not that there wouldn't be drawbacks/filler but maybe an extra quarter to a half a season would be enough to let some things breathe like Stan and Ford interaction.
>>
>>78645671
Yeah, an extended season would be awesome!
>>
>>78642096
I doubt he ever had something better planned.
>>
>>78642096
What I want to kow is, why the fuck they make us wait for the finale episode like weeks on end.
>>
>>78642096
>XD
Fuck off back to Leddit, faggot.
>>
File: 1434837217153.jpg (14 KB, 187x182) Image search: [Google]
1434837217153.jpg
14 KB, 187x182
>mon visage when Alex still doesn't know his sister is abusive and manipulative and that's why he justifies her shit through Mabel in a clear display of a Lifetime movie battered wife bullshit Stockholm syndrome
>>
File: 1450038224394.png (327 KB, 650x456) Image search: [Google]
1450038224394.png
327 KB, 650x456
>>78647594
...Disney XD. The Network that this show airs on. Are you really that out of the loop anon?
>>
>>78647789
>people still fall for this shit
>>
>>78647789
It was a joke anon
>>
>>78647711
>he had a gay experience with his Ariel's first boyfriend who was brown
>afterward the boyfriend went away
>Alex rewrites history by making Dipper give Mermando mouth to mouth instead of getting too excited while making out with another dude like he did
>>
>>78647556
You're right. There's a difference between shitty scheduling and actively wanting to bury a show. The hiatuses killed the love and hype this place had for it.

The only justification I can think of is that they don't want Summer to end in winter? Regardless that's going to be one subpar 30-45 minute finale.
>>
>>78643229
>>78643265
Bill was an interesting character before the finale.
>>
File: 53421787.jpg (77 KB, 381x309) Image search: [Google]
53421787.jpg
77 KB, 381x309
>>78648150
Contiuing this opinion, this anon worded it perfectly. >>78643537

>he had to trick you to do anything.

Again, I do think Bill is still probably one of the more interesting characters of the series (and a personal favorite) but when he became physical and just kind of threw a huge party, although I guess comical, it kind of was lame. If we had a third season, maybe they could have expanded on him as a character and had more opportunities to fuck around with the mind-scape.

I guess it's a little cliche he wants to take over the world, but maybe his reasons are pic related. He's just a fucking demon, he's evil, so he's into that kind of shit.

Also, I think maybe Alex wished the show was more adult oriented than kid oriented. After all, it's pretty popular among adults. Maybe he wants to work on something like, well, Rick and Morty.
>>
>>78647556
Because now that they know Gravity Falls won't be continuing and making bank, they don't care what happens to it. They know the fans are going to buy merch and DVDs and watch streams afterwards so it doesn't really matter what happens right now. It would only matter if they show were continuing, but it's not, so Disney is treating it like trash. They risked huge ratings loss by throwing it on DisneyXD to try and boost their other shows ratings since it didn't matter how much GF suffered in the present moment.

They're probably trying to drag out the only top tier cartoon they have going for them for as long as possible, because once GF ends they're fucked. They have no replacement. It's literally the only hook they have to get people to tune into XD. Wander and Star definitely aren't bringing in views for them.
>>
>>78647594
He is talking about Disney XD you stupid cunt.
>>
>>78642686
Ooooooor he decided ending the show on a high note would be a good change of pace for something instead of driving it into the ground like certain other shows
>>
>>78653246
>ending the show on a high note
But season 2 is terrible compared to season 1. If anything, ending it sooner caused season 2 to be terrible because of how rushed it is.
>>
>>78643605
>Beast was embodiment of despair or something, so Wirt refused to give in to despair and killed him
The beast has no power, he just manipulates people into losing hope which turns them into trees and then manipulates someone to carry around his soul in the torch
Well, maybe he has SOME power, but most of it is just him faking it. Wirt just sees through it and walks away
>>
They aren't coming out with the right merch for the show anyway; not enough Mabel plushies with ona-holes.
>>
At the end of the day, though, wasn't it worth it for the journey, rather than the destination?
>>
>>78644108
How much you wanna bet he ends up working on Rick and Morty with his husbando?
>>
>>78654383
Screw you, the destination was supposed to be great.
>>
>>78654383
Poor destination soils the journey.
>>
>>78654383
That's an excuse bad writers do. If your job is to entertain, you entertain. You wouldn't get a free pass with defective products in any other industry.
>>
>>78647711
This makes me really sad and honestly I think this is EXACTLY what's going on. It's almost painful to watch at times because of how abusive and controlling Mabel is and the fact that NO ONE else seems to notice is frankly fucking terrifying. I feel awful for him but I'm worried that he's justified this sort of behavior to a whole new generation of kids.
Part of me was hoping just a little, that the tumblr crowd would call out this abusive behavior, but not surprisingly, if it's towards a man, they conveniently don't notice.
>>
>>78654383
Nope. While S1 was overall good it was still hampered by too much relationshit and Mabel. S2 doubled down on that bullshit and dropped back on conspiracy opting for out and out adversarial action.
A /co/llector's cut might make the series something good but as a whole destination and experience both, were just plain disappointing.
Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.