[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Does Inside Out have any root in established theories of psychology
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 6
Does Inside Out have any root in established theories of psychology or is it all wishful thinking?
>>
Yes, a team of psychologists worked on the making of the movie, though they simplified the whole to make it more accessible to children.
>>
Was Riley permanently distressed because Joy left headquarters, or did Joy leave headquarters because Riley was permanently distressed?
>>
>>78636733
I think it might be the latter. By repressing sadness, Riley isn't able to feel happy, which just makes her angry. Thus Joy and Sadness get the boot while Anger starts running things.
>>
>>78636117
Yes, happiness, sadness, anger, fear, and disgust along with surprise are know as the "universal" emotions. All humans regardless of where or how they were raised express these emotions in the same way and are capable of recognizing them in the faces of others. A smile is a smile no matter where or when you are, so's a frown, or a sneer. It is theorized that all other emotions are merely these 6 blended together in different ways. That's more or less the model the movie is working off of.
>>
>>78636733
The later, the emotions are not actually there. It's all a metaphor. Joy being a bitch to Sadness was Riley suppressing her sadness for her parents.
>>
>>78636931
How does Bing Bong fit into this metaphor
>>
>>78637010
Riley needs to put her past behind her and grow up. Bing Bong is her childhood dying out as she matures.
>>
>>78636117
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theory_of_multiple_intelligences
>>
Telling Sadness to sit in a circle and not touch anything is pretty telling of how a lot of people, even modern psychiatrists, approach depression.

>"Have you tried *not* being sad? It's like you don't want to *try*..."
>>
>>78636733
The whole movie becomes more enjoyable if you see Riley's mind and her emotions as simple representations and not actual things that exist and affect the world. What happens is just visual representation of Rileys emotional journey.
>>
File: nights.jpg (38 KB, 800x450) Image search: [Google]
nights.jpg
38 KB, 800x450
>>78636117
>tfw you still hold out hope for a NiGHTS movie in order to get people talking about Carl Jung

>>78638240
Triple Dent Gum, it makes you smile!
>>
>>78636117
Well it is firmly rooted in the fact that you don't have free will.
>>
>>78638320
I never played Nights but am interested in Jung. How much do those games apply to his theories?
>>
File: JCUvbUJ.jpg (58 KB, 355x499) Image search: [Google]
JCUvbUJ.jpg
58 KB, 355x499
>>78636931
Wrong.

Creator said that they come from an alternate dimension conected with Ryley's brain.
>>
>>78638361
Well, none of it's explicitly outright said in-game (partially because the original game had no dialogue whatsoever), but the developers have outright said that it was based on Jung's theories. To give one example, NiGHTS itself is a (rare in fiction) non-villainous instance of the Shadow archetype.
>>
>>78638320
All I know about Jung comes from playing SMT Persona. What's NiGHTS about?
>>
>>78638478
Well finally, it seems nobody understands the point of the shadow. What does NiGhts do in that case?
>>
>>78638491
>>78638518
Two children with average, ordinary kid problems (in both games, the boy has some problem with sports, while the girl with music; however, the actual kids are different between games) enter a dream world called Nightopia while they sleep. NiGHTS is a reformed Nightmaren (read: nightmare creature) who guides and helps them conquer their individual fears (represented by non-reformed Nightmaren). NiGHTS represents the traits that they lack (most notably, self-confidence) and helps them gain those traits through their adventures. Eventually, they ultimately outgrow needing the purple jester's help and finally do what they were afraid or unwilling to do (in the boy's case, win the big game; in the girl's, play in the concert; different circumstances in each game were preventing the kids from doing so).
>>
There's already a general for Inside Out senpai
>>
>that scene where they send up that gum comercial but not the core memories
>>
>>78636117
If I remember they actually used specific models to base the emotions on but left some out for storytelling reasons, as Surprise for example was too similiar to Fear.
That being said I think they kinda dropped the ball on the Subconscious area and abstract thinking, as those barely ever figure into the world or plot even though you might expect them to be more important to the functions of the psyche.

>>78638810
Mh, so it's basically putting the obstructive and the helpful aspects of the subconscious against each other
>>
>>78638913
This shit again? They can't because that thing just replays the memory.
>>
>>78638959
They show several times that they can removes memories from that thing
>but if they touch it the memory changes!
They could just knock it out with a chair or something. Memories are seemingly un breakable, except for being thrown down that pit.
>>
File: chillin.jpg (38 KB, 258x254) Image search: [Google]
chillin.jpg
38 KB, 258x254
>Honors psych class has a "theme" each semester
>Kooky teacher sees Inside Out and falls in love
>Have to spend the entire semester talking about Inside Out like it's gospel, and studying developmental and clinical psychology
>tfw I'm mostly a radical behaviorist and completely bored with cognition
>classmates groan whenever I or the one other behaviorist student try to contribute anything to the discussion that's not a cognitivist circlejerk.

Seriously, I loved Inside Out, but what is with people thinking it's actual psychology aside from what >>78636893 said?!
>>
>>78638959
>>78639101
Perhaps Joy was just worried that the other emotions back at Headquarters could taint the core memories. At that point they couldn't explain why's that happening.
>>
>>78638921
>Mh, so it's basically putting the obstructive and the helpful aspects of the subconscious against each other

Pretty much, yeah, although the whole experience does cause the kids to grow as people (and it's part-subconscious, part-alternate dimension, as the two kids in each game first meet and interact with each other in the dream world before meeting each other in reality at the end).

If you're interested, the first game is $10 on Steam (and I'm assuming it's the same price on PSN and XBL as well), but it's currently on sale for the next 21 hours for $5 (likely Steam-only). The second game is Wii-exclusive, and you'll pretty much only find used copies. Be warned, though, it's a lot more dialogue- and cutscene-heavy than the first game.
>>
>>78639286
Not the same guy you were talking too, but thanks for the info. I've been looking to check out NiGHTS for a while mostly since I just like the character's design. Thanks for the reminder.
>>
>>78636117
Only if you believe Freud has any basis in modern psychology.
>>
File: insideoutminusinside.jpg (103 KB, 1001x783) Image search: [Google]
insideoutminusinside.jpg
103 KB, 1001x783
http://www.dorkly.com/post/76932/inside-out-minus-all-the-inside-scenes-is-trippy-and-awesome

Guess it's like Garfield Minus Garfield, thoughts on this?
>>
>>78640100
Works as a simple short film I guess.
>>
>>78639475
I must have missed the part where the id, ego, and superego were defined in the movie
>>
File: cbt-triangle[1].jpg (24 KB, 500x402) Image search: [Google]
cbt-triangle[1].jpg
24 KB, 500x402
>>78636117
I thought it was a great example of how the Cognitive Triangle can make or break the healthiness of someone's mental state.
>>
>>78639475
I know nothing about psychology, does he?
>>
>>78640808
His ideas have long been discredited.
>>
It bothers me that they have Disgust but not Desire. Anger, Fear, Joy and Sadness are definitely core emotions, but Disgust is like a weird area that overlaps way too heavily with Fear and Anger.
Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.