[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Morrison's Annihilator
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 3
File: Annihilator.jpg (212 KB, 900x1384) Image search: [Google]
Annihilator.jpg
212 KB, 900x1384
What did you think of pic related /co/? Do you consider it a tale of rehashed Morrisonian concepts or an interesting take on non-developped ideas of his?

What's your opinion on it and your take on the overall final plot?

I thoroughly enjoyed it
>>
>>78635176
It makes me a little aroused wherever I read it
>>
>>78635176
Better than Nameless, that's for goddamn sure.
>>
>>78635176
OP here. Here's an AV Club review (keep in mind it's written by a woman)
>Perhaps it’s because of the long wait or because Legendary doesn’t have the same editorial experience as more established publishers, but Annihilator #6 falls flatter even than those before it. The first issue, probably the best of the six, introduced both Spass and Nomax, as well as the question of if the former created the latter or was merely a conduit to tell his story to the masses. The concept was intriguing and felt fresh, though variations of the story have been told before. The subsequent four issues served to make both Spass and Nomax seem even more unsympathetic, though they were given opportunities to become, if not heroes, at least protagonists worth reading about. This final issue only seals the deal, with both of them confronted by the women they claim to love, taken to task for years of abuse and narcissism that they still cannot seem to recognize as the root of their respective problems.
>Aggravatingly deranged main characters could have been forgiven, maybe, if the story hadn’t dragged so much. Where Irving’s art soars, the words on the page feels stiff and repetitive, a child reciting a manifesto instead of an adult creating one. What could have been an intriguing exploration of creative authority and the rather insane power of human imagination winds up feeling more like a long-winded rant, addled enough to be boring. Spass is whiney and petulant, Nomax twisted up in fetishistic denial of his own failures, and the only interesting people in the whole book, Luna and Olympia, are sidelined by either their gender, their abusive relationship with a self-centered man, or both.

I don't agree with the final rant, but the sensation of falling flat is something I felt about it too.
>>
>>78635260
It did have a sense of "TO BE CONTINUED!" at the end, but that's Morrison's modus operandi these days

I do like that he was unafraid to write completely irredeemable protagonists, though. Kind of taking the piss out of "the asshole with a heart of gold" archetype that's been becoming more popular in fiction recently
>>
>>78635260
>(keep in mind it's written by a woman
Why would I keep that in mind?
>>
>>78635353
Because the last paragraph is about "oh, the best characters are women but obviously the writer doesn't focus on 'em cause he hates women and their gender isn't interesting for him". Which is fucking stupid, considering the lack of focus (which isn't even real) is a way to highlight how pure and good these two characters are, but the female reviewer is too obtuse and prefers to read "muh woman character isn't a total badass killing monsters 24/7" as "patriarchy being mean"
>>
>>78635331
>I do like that he was unafraid to write completely irredeemable protagonists, though. Kind of taking the piss out of "the asshole with a heart of gold" archetype that's been becoming more popular in fiction recently
I'm with you on that. I don't see why main characters should always be the "good guys". It was refreshing and thought-provoking

>>78635239
Shit, haven't read it yet but was really expecting to. Isn't it supposed to be really good?
>>
>>78635411
You seem to be assuming a lot from just a few words.
>>
>>78635451
>the only interesting people in the whole book, Luna and Olympia, are sidelined by either their gender, their abusive relationship with a self-centered man, or both
Or, you know, I may just know how to read.

Anyway, it doesn't matter, I just wanted to provide full context because I won't provide a quotation that I feel is biaised in some way without context
>>
File: Scott Snyder.jpg (36 KB, 600x414) Image search: [Google]
Scott Snyder.jpg
36 KB, 600x414
Anyone read it?
>>
>>78635176
I loved it. Felt incredibly self referencial with Morrison finally understanding that not anyone is gonna understand his whole apeshit "abducted by aliens" mentality.
>>
>>78636111
The trouble with discussing good comics on /co/, unless it's a story time, is that the thread is usually "yep, we all agree it was good" and it's over in 10 posts
>>
>>78636111
What the fuck is Snyder doing with his eyes?
>>
>>78635525
I don't see where that implies Morrison hates women, or that it's the fault of "the patriarchy". Seems like it's you who have a chip on your shoulder, m8
>>
Contrary what this fuckbois believe, I think Annihilator is Morrison at his best after everything has settled down. The book lives between metaphors and reality.
>>
>>78639042
Snyder always had a problem with one of his eyes, which consistently thrown while the other stays wide opened.

>>78639798
I would tend to agree.

However /co/, here are a few things I didn't get:
>In issue #6, Nomax tells Olympia he needs her to get out while he "puts a data bullet in Makro's head"
Isn't the writer Ray Spass the one with the data bullet? Would that mean that Ray is somehow related to Makro, or that Makro did too put his own fingerprint in the tissue of Nomax's new universe? Or is this a mistake from Morrison?

>They just jump into the black hole and get into the new universe
The comic science of this was never explained right? When did he throw is miniature universe in the black hole? And how did he manage to shrink himself and Olympia's into it?
>>
>>78635176
All the stuff with Nomax on Dis Station was gold. I'd love to read more stuff in the same vein by Morrison.
>>
>>78641323
Didn't the monster thingy eat his mini universe, and then fall into the black hole with it?
>>
>>78641681
Nope, he later shows it to Olympia and tells her he has to throw it first. Also, the creature threw itself into the black hole because Nomax let it escape :
>Better throwing yourself into the hole than suffering into the jail that is life
His universe remained as it was, into the station then.
>>
>>78641634
Agreed, this was some amazing sequences. Especially with the twists:
>The scientists actually created the Unlife for Vada
>The Sect was in fact a super-warrior faction!
Fucking great
>>
File: l_84.jpg (46 KB, 689x568) Image search: [Google]
l_84.jpg
46 KB, 689x568
>>78635260
>I don't like that these characters have flaws!
>>
It's great. Nameless didnt live up to the hype, but was also decent
>>
I'm just gonna wait for the movie.
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.