[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
When does Claremont's X-Men get good? I'm like twenty
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 4
File: 34676.png (2 MB, 985x759) Image search: [Google]
34676.png
2 MB, 985x759
When does Claremont's X-Men get good?

I'm like twenty issues and the characters are pretty cool but the stories are just episodic and lame. The stuff Starlin, O'Neil, Englehart, Gerber, Wolfman, Moench, etc. were doing in the 70's is much better.

Is it just about the influence? I don't see how when this feels like the original F4 without Kirby's imagination. .
>>
wait for the Phoenix and Hellfire Club stuff.
>>
>>78616371

Forget to mention Byrne is fantastic though. I'll give them that.
>>
It gets better after Cockrum is replaced by Byrne. I prefer the X-Men stuff drawn by Smith, Romita, and Silvestri to Byrne's time on the book but he did a lot to push the title forward. I think Claremont becomes a better writer in Byrne's absence.
>>
It's a steady build. If you don't start enjoying it by Proteus/Dark Phoenix/DoFP then you'll probably never like it.
>>
>>78616371
I thought wolverine had his brown costume back then. was this like, right when blue first showed up?
this is my favorite era in comics, and by far my favorite for x-men
>>
>>78617160
He had Blue until Jean died, I think.

Then Blue again after Claremont left because Lee liked it better.
>>
>>78616371
So, I guess you're at the Magneto/Mesmero/Savage Land point?

If so, hold out until Proteus. I like the entire Claremont run, and read through it all periodically, but some parts are more memorable than others.
>>
>>78617202
yeah I just looked it up in the last 10 minutes. I learned a lot!
blue costume was the original, brown came later, and they went back to blue thinking it 'classic'
but those of us who grew up on the 90s series and played the 80s arcade game, we assumed the order was the other way

also i knew about his original shitty mask, but i did not know the new better mask was actually a mistake that they kept
>>
>>78616495
>I think Claremont becomes a better writer in Byrne's absence.

Around the time New Mutants launched is when he became a better writer. I believe that was the Brood Saga in Uncanny
>>
>>78616371
I also started reading Claremont's run recently OP and found it started getting really good around the proteus storyline. Just got up to secret wars and I am enjoying it still.

Similar question: when does new mutants get good? I'm about ten issues in, and it's fine but nothing special so far
>>
>>78617808
>when does new mutants get good?
Bill Sienkiewicz. Personally I love all the teen antics early on, except Nova Roma, but once Bill comes on board the series really takes off into some fantastic stuff.
>>
>>78616371
Wow. I'm reading it on Marvel Unlimited right now, and I have loved it from the first.
Unpopular Opinion: I prefer Cockrum over Byrne.
>>
File: Uncanny X-Men 098-004.jpg (2 MB, 2013x3056) Image search: [Google]
Uncanny X-Men 098-004.jpg
2 MB, 2013x3056
>>78621669
There are at least two of us.
>>
>>78625592
>flip-up shades
lol
>>
>>78621669
It was a pleasant surprise when Dave Cockrum came back for a bit after Byrne left.
>>
File: demon bear.jpg (2 MB, 3060x1758) Image search: [Google]
demon bear.jpg
2 MB, 3060x1758
>>78621669
>Unpopular Opinion: I prefer Cockrum over Byrne.

I'm too pleb to care

>>78618095
>once Bill comes on board the series really takes off into some fantastic stuff.

This on the other hand, is a massive transformation. The first couple artists are competent but I shudder to think what Warlock would have looked like under them
>>
>>78625592
What the hell are those shades, Slim?
>>
>>78629358
Punch Dimension gives zero fucks.
>>
File: Cyclops01-2.jpg (436 KB, 825x1280) Image search: [Google]
Cyclops01-2.jpg
436 KB, 825x1280
>>78629688
I guess he later decided that merely taking his glasses off was simpler.
>>
>>78616371
>When does Claremont's X-Men get good?

I found all of it boring that I read

I expect it's all the same

Claremont's Wolverine with Frank Miller was really badass though, but I credit Miller with that one
>>
>>78616371
Well each to its own, I guess. It gets really good around Dark Pheonix Saga, if you haven't enjoyed it that much itherwise and there are other highlights as well further down you get.
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.