[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Help french fags
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 64
Thread images: 16
File: index.jpg (13 KB, 300x168) Image search: [Google]
index.jpg
13 KB, 300x168
Recommend me some good cartoon / comics for new fags like me

( i never really see cartoon except the simpsons and never read comics )

Excuse my french
>>
But France has plenty of comics. Why did you never read any of these?

https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bande_dessin%C3%A9e_franco-belge
>>
>>78606047
Frogfag too. French tv airing a lot of americans cartoons. What's your excuse mon ami ? For comics I can help you, it depends what kind of comics you like (superhero, fantasy, crime...). Read/watch in French only or in English too ?
>>
>>78606085

y Tintin , Asterix et Obelix etc ... , but its not comics

The French call it "Bd" the equivalent of comics
>>
>>78606085
Young French readers only care about mangas here. I hate mangas so I really want to punch them in the mouth when I see that they only read mangas and refuse to read something else like fucking autists educated to this awful manga style.
>>
>>78606156

the only cartoon I look is the simpsons , I like everything but above sci-fi and superhero
>>
>>78606194
Yes for us comics are americans. BD (bandes dessinées) are what americans use to call eurocomics, mostly french-belgian in fact. It's really different. I grew up reading Tintin, Asterix, Gaston Lagaffe, Lucky Luke among others. I enjoyed reading Marvel and DC too.
>>
up
>>
sci-fi? Anything by Moebius, anything by Enki Bilal... Sillage (Wake) is a great fun series...
>>
File: 1381820233575.png (20 KB, 231x231) Image search: [Google]
1381820233575.png
20 KB, 231x231
>>78606245
>be french
>your ancestor developed great comic drawing techniques
>they made a wide variety of them with varying styles and tones
>this went on for a long time and the future was still looking bright
>a few years later young artists and readers only care about manga and tumblr style anymore

I applaud the few crazy ones that still try to create original and personally developed styles
>>
>>78606245
I still don't get why BDs have gained practically zero traction in north america, it can't just be that it's foreign.

Fuck that's pretty disheartening if even the french are ignoring it though
>>
>>78606245
>I hate mangas
That's something really stupid to say, you know.
>>
>>78607423
And I don't talk about French artists who draw in manga style or even made "French" mangas.

>>78607702
Maybe because of the prominence of cape comics.

>>78607763
I'm sure a lot of mangas are interesting. Great stories and ideas for sure. I just hate the art, never understand the appealing on it. It seems all japanese artists have the same way of drawing. Barely no personal style like western artists. They all draw the faces in the same way etc...
>>
>>78606245
That's really a shame.
No offense to animus and mangos but we have a huge choice of french graphic novels, which are mainly targeted to adults and nobody I know read them. Everyone, even people in their 30s, prefer one piece, naruto and whatnot

>>78607763
I actually watch chinese cartoons, but we all have to agree that they don't have much style for the most part.
No nose, big ayy lmao eyes, exagerated expressions to the max, it's like nobody try something new, they all draw like the previous guy did.
Also I always have a hard time finding new shit that seems not targeted to children/adolescents
>>
Metabarons, Les eaux de Mortelune.
>>
>>78608002
Manga isn't capeshit and it's stupid popular in the states so it can't be that either.

>>78607763
I don't really have anything against the content of mangas relative to other formats and I've fapped to my fair share of doujins but I hate the tiny-ass volumes they're published in (one of the main reasons I love BDs).
>>
>>78608018
>Everyone, even people in their 30s, prefer one piece, naruto
Yes fucking standardization. People have no personal tastes nowadays. Just want to read and watch the same stuff than everybody. People who call themselves "geek" have absolutely no curiosity. Real geeks are curious, don't want to follow trends like the pleb, they want to be pioneers (not in a hipster way, hipsters are the worst kind of followers without personality or tastes) they want to discover new stuff, aren't afraid to support not very popular comics or shows they like. Real geeks are respectable but they are an endangered species.
>>
Please dont use the word fag, this isnt pol or b. Its offensive to a lot of people.
>>
>>78607182
Ty

>>78606245

Complétement d'accord :)
>>
>>78606047
Watch Rick and Morty, it's a fairly accessible and modern cartoon that everybody seem to like (not broadcasted in France). If you like it, check on wikipedia (or whatever) "Adult Swim" which broadcasted that as well as many more adult-targeted cartoons in the US.
French cartoons are mainly for children, but I still watched wakfu recently and really liked it.

After that, we don't really know what you like, so just check you saw that required shit:
Valse avec Bachir
Le chat du rabbin
Persepolis
Miyazaki films
Chomet films (I guess you know him from your picture)

For BDs, we have a fucking huge choice in france so just go to a library and you will find some amazing shit depending on your taste. The french scene is the best one imho. I like it better than the japanese and american one at least.
For american comics, some pleb but good shit:
Sandman
Lucifer
Maus
Transmetropolitan
Watchmen
From hell
>>
>>78608018
That's fucking brutal. There's times I've traveled to Montreal from out west on glorified BD runs since it's the only fucking way I can physically browse material anymore and most online retailers are fucking horrible at supplying it. Why would even the French be turning away from it?
>>
>>78608385
>Complétement d'accord :)
Ils sont comme dressés artistiquement à aimer ce genre d'esthétique. Ils leur manque une éducation à l'image.
(They are like artistically trained to love this kind of aesthetics. They lack image education.)

>>78608395
Rick and Morty is aired in France.
>>
File: Eva.jpg (30 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
Eva.jpg
30 KB, 640x480
Oban Star Racer is a short fun
>>
File: latest chart edited.jpg (988 KB, 1510x2538) Image search: [Google]
latest chart edited.jpg
988 KB, 1510x2538
>>
>>78607702
When polled, ninety percent of Americans replied, "What the fuck is a gaul?"
>>
>people who believe that all Japanese have the same drawing style
Why does this meme still exist?
>>
>>78608395

I have already seen an episode really good I expect the new samurai jack on adult swim , thank you for all these references

>>78608590

Je savais pas qu'il y'avait autant de francophones sur /co/
>>
Wakfu/Dofus (cartoon)
The Bellybuttons (comic)
>>
>>78608552
I don't know much, younger generations prefer mangas, and BDs still have that 'for children' image.
Some people still read them but it's atm more reserved to what we could call fans. I don't actually know how it is for comics in the US so I can't compare it.

>>78608590
Wait what? R&M and fucking Archer in France?
That's a good start. Let's hope it does well

>>78608767
>meme
When compared to the US and French styles, yes it does.
And why are they so angry with colors? I mean it's 2016, come on!
>>
>>78608838
I'm not angry about colors, just that people think anything Japanese feels same-y.
There's a mix of diverse styles in so much Japanese media that it's sad to know that few actually care to view them. When they actually put their heart into something they love, it looks visually better than anything from its medium.
>>
File: 753b1c0c.jpg (185 KB, 500x412) Image search: [Google]
753b1c0c.jpg
185 KB, 500x412
>>78608002
there are plenty of different styles in manga from Anpan-man to Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt. From Crayon Shin-chan to Shōwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjū (picture related, a manga for older woman that now got an anime too)
>>
File: CrixusTheUndefeatedGaul.jpg (152 KB, 1600x1067) Image search: [Google]
CrixusTheUndefeatedGaul.jpg
152 KB, 1600x1067
>>78608743
You don't need to know what Gaul is to enjoy Asterix. But it's not hard to find that Gaul is the name of France and French people at the time of the Roman Empire.
>>
>>78608838
>Wait what? R&M and fucking Archer in France?
Yes both aired on France4.
>>
>>78608947
All those still look pretty similar, you have to admit.
Anpan-man and Shin-chan just look like more childish versions of it
>>
>>78609141
Asterix is way more similar to Spirou than Shin-chan is to Shōwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjū In fact I fail to see any similarity besides them both being drawings.
>>
>>78609197
Uderzo similar to Franquin...what's wrong with you?
>>
>>78609141
>pretty similar
>styles that literally clash with one another
>>
>>78609197
>cherry-picking that much
XIII and spirou look nothing alike
lanfeust de troy and asterix look nothing alike
Persepolis and any of them look nothing alike
Les Bidochons and any of them look nothing alike
Same for le journal d'Henriette, le livre de jack, les enfers, little kevin, kid paddle........

>>78609386
What? In what way, seriously?
You can still see without any doubt that it's made by japanese (or japanese-influenced) people.
>>
File: 700592270_314a9d0a1e.jpg (23 KB, 320x381) Image search: [Google]
700592270_314a9d0a1e.jpg
23 KB, 320x381
>>78609348
He said a Jellyfish is pretty similar to a dinosaur and I replied that a cow is much more similar to a rat. of course they are different but they are much more similar than the first comparation.
Compare this with this >>78608947
>>
File: 1438800588097.jpg (83 KB, 412x441) Image search: [Google]
1438800588097.jpg
83 KB, 412x441
>>78608590
>Rick and Morty is aired in France
Mec quoi

Putain je viens de trouver le premier épisode, j'avais peur pour la dub mais c'est carrément pas dégueu

>finally can show french pals adult swim shows
>but we'll still never get Space Ghost and ATHF
>>
Compare >>78608947 with cowboy bebop with attack on titan with naruto with death note with akira with GITS with NHK with watamote with monster with steins gate with 20th century boys with GTO with samurai Champloo with clannad with hajime no hippo with Kuroko's Basketball...
and tell me they look nothing alike
>>
File: animation.png (505 KB, 704x476) Image search: [Google]
animation.png
505 KB, 704x476
What country do you think this picture was done by?
>>
>>78609553
I showed R&M to a colleague and he loved it.
Kind of wanting to show him ATHF now, but that's a step further.
>>
>>78609685
Belgium?
>>
>>78609685
Looks like ghibli
But not that much to regular animes
>>
File: 54107857_p0.png (24 KB, 512x512) Image search: [Google]
54107857_p0.png
24 KB, 512x512
>>78609484
I'm just pointing how stupid his prejudice is by applying the same logic to his own cartoons. He have a very shallow knowledge and judge hundreds of thousands of works without knowing more than 4.

Different artists have different backgrounds and this reflect in their art. Hiroaki Samura have classical art education while Range Murata studied product/industrial design.

Anyway for french cartoons I recommend Ernest & Celestine. It have a cute story and a beautiful painting animation effect but doesn't have the fame it deserves and I heard that they are making a series.

Other stuff I think already was mentioned. Spirou is pretty cool, Pyrenee is nice too but I usually recommend them to Americans to get them used to see the human body.
>>
>>78609642
looks nothing alike with Akira, Naruto, watamote, GITS depends on the version, etc...
>>
File: sa1739.jpg (18 KB, 450x220) Image search: [Google]
sa1739.jpg
18 KB, 450x220
Current French youth watch animations from Japan unlike in old times when French youth would watch animations from Japan.
>>
>>78608772
I'm not francophone but I was in French immersion all through grade school. And we didn't have cable as a kid so BDs ended up being what I turned to instead.

It's fucking suffering to deal with now that foreign language bookstores are extinct and comic stores don't even carry translated euro material.
>>
>>78608327
underrated shitpost
>>
>>78607423
I swear you guys are stuck in the past
You can do the anime influence right, if you practice and develop it enough. Besides, France and Japan/Korea are teaming up more now than ever, so it's something you'll have to get used to whether you like it or not
Also the tumblr style seems to be more of a current trend that'll pass for the next shitty style of drawing online
Aso
>varying styles
>most BD is half cartoony stuff and half realistic stuff ie Corto Maltese
>>
>>78608002
honestly if you looked harder in the right direction then you'll find great alternative artists in manga (Inio Asano for example, pic related)
though the sameface can't be helped, since, y'know, Asians often look really similar and it's used to make production cheaper (Japs are known for being cheapskates in anime and manga)
>>
>>78608252
>implying you'd ever call yourself a "geek" if it wasn't tainted currently
>wanting to give yourself a special name and identity based on a fucking hobby
please go
>>
>>78608590
you can't force a group of people to like a certain style. anime's always been understandably more popular than BDs in the west (including europe) since the early 2000's
what the fuck is "image education" anyways?
>>
>>78610773
>understandably
why is that understandable?
I read both and I don't
>>
>>78610800
I guess anime/manga is just more easy to appeal to, with all the fantasy worlds and shounen stories of adventure
also because it's just so radically different in style from american cartoons that it raises curiosity
>>
File: can2.jpg (59 KB, 672x486) Image search: [Google]
can2.jpg
59 KB, 672x486
>>78610773
Anime have been popular in France from before OP was born. If you watch Les Kassos this girl might look familiar.

OP is just a teenager rebelling against what is popular to feel superior.
>>
>>78610700
Never called myself a geek.

>>78610900
>Anime have been popular in France from before OP was born.
Yes from late 70's and became a big thing in the 80's.
>>
>>78610900
ah, understood
as a foreigner living in brussels I would say that yeah, anime is popular with teens more than BDs are, but I would say that it's not such a huge deal or the downfall of european comics like this >>78610956 samefag's been saying. they're still being made and being bought, it's just that with the internet, people are more curious for stuff like AoT since i's popular not just in europe, but in america as well
it's just european teens doing what american teens are doing
>>
File: Heidi_V2_front_french.jpg (273 KB, 1500x1000) Image search: [Google]
Heidi_V2_front_french.jpg
273 KB, 1500x1000
>>78610956
Exactly, it is not new and not a fad. France and Japan have been influencing each other for decades and will continue to do so.
>>
>>78610900
Not OP nor the guy you're all answering but it's just a shame that french/belgians BDs are not popular in France.
They are often more targeted to adults, they are well-considered by literature critics and we have a huge choice. And that's also our heritage.
But most people my age watched DBZ, saint seiya and captain tsubasa when it aired (I watched only the last one at the time) and are more inclined to read mangas than BDs.

As for mangas having a more developped universe, I don't find that necessarily true
>>
>>78611151
>They are often more targeted to adults, they are well-considered by literature critics and we have a huge choice. And that's also our heritage.
Comics more targeted to adults exist in France, USA, Japan, etc. but they aren't cash makers. They are niche for the small group of adults that care about this kind of thing. Japan is an exception where they actually animate stuff for adults and even middle age people unlike most animations for adults in west that target late teens and young adults but even in Japan the animation for adults is small with live action dramas dominating. And I wouldn't mind much their live action drama if they didn't butcher so much the original story.
>>
>>78610854
>with all the fantasy worlds and shounen stories of adventure

But there's tons of that kind of stuff in BDs...
>>
>>78608711
needs an update with Ernest & Celestine
Thread replies: 64
Thread images: 16

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.