[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I'm reading up on Deadpool because my job dictates that
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3
File: Deadpool_Vol_1_11.jpg (95 KB, 500x786) Image search: [Google]
Deadpool_Vol_1_11.jpg
95 KB, 500x786
I'm reading up on Deadpool because my job dictates that I understand a bit about the character. Before I've never been a big fan of the character because all I really see posted around is CHIMICHANGAS LOLOL and that's just not really my bag.

Because of his teamup with Spider-Man, I decided to start my study with Deadpool #11, AKA the one where he goes back in time and gets inserted in Amazing Spider-Man 43 (I think that's the number). The issue was... kinda one note. Maybe it would be have been a bit funnier if I had read it back in '97, but these days a lot of people knock the '60s slang you get from reading the Lee stories.

So after that I went back to #1 where he is hired to destroy a scientific work station. Whatever. I didn't really enjoy these two issues. Does it get better? Am I wasting my time? Are there more "landmark" issues that I should check out so I can get a feel for who the character is?

My understanding is that while he may be called the Merc with a Mouth, the not-so-well-kept secret is that he's the Merc with a Heart... sort of. While certainly not a moralistic character, he does have some sort of do-goodery inside of him that stems from an intense self-loathing and a desire to prevent others to endure the things that have caused him long-standing misery. In short, physical pain, death, and suffering don't really register with Deadpool, but long-term psychological anguish/self-loathing and perhaps a few personal tragedies are things he tries to prevent others from experiencing if he can?
>>
>>78604726
>I'm reading up on Deadpool because my job dictates that I understand a bit about the character.

What job is that?
>>
>>78604746
second this
>>
>>78604746
Comic reviews. I guess knowing the history of the character isn't paramount, but since it's Kelly and McGuinness on the title, I figured reading up on their previous work with the character might be a good thing so I can catch any call backs/similar devices they use.
>>
Joe Kelly's run is the seminal Deadpool run. It's where most of hist character is established. It's some good shit. Gail Simone's run was decent too. Cable and Deadpool is a buddy cop book with as you guessed it, Cable and Deadpool, it is also pretty good. Stay away from anything by Daniel Way. That's where a lot of Deadpool's lol so randum humor comes from. It's complete shit. The latest Deadpool run as part of Marvel NOW by Brian Posehn and Gerry Duggan is the best Deadpool we have been getting since Joe Kelly. It's got the right dose of comedy while still exploring Deadpool's psyche more. Duggan has continued his run in the current All New All Different Marvel and it's been pretty good so far.
>>
File: Deadpool v4 022-018.jpg (1 MB, 1988x3056) Image search: [Google]
Deadpool v4 022-018.jpg
1 MB, 1988x3056
>>78604726
read Kelly's Deadpool
read Cable & Deadpool
check out some of the annuals maybe
read Duggan's Deadpool
>>
>>78604726
I like Kelly run on Deadpool,and it's worth reading since estabilished a lot about the character, but I think Duggan run(2012) is more newreader-friendly while keeping the essence of what makes Deadpool good.
There is a lot to like about him,just stay away from Daniel Way Deadpool.
>>
>>78604842
Like, is this supposed to be funny? What's the joke? Where's the punchline? Maybe I should just tough it out and read more of the Kelly run to see if the humor ever clicks with me.

>>78604813
Thanks, but that's a loooot of comics to read through. Is there a truncated list floating around somewhere?
>>
>>78604894
Thanks, I may just read a handfull more of the Kelly and switch to Duggan. That way I'll have a feel for how Kelly wrote the character, how the character is currently handled, and then how Kelly writes him now.

Catcha is now making me select individual segments of a larger picture. That's new.
>>
>>78604905
it's the punchline to a brick joke set up earlier in the book.
>>
>>78604951
Ah. Weird page to post then?
>>
>>78604787
what site anon?
>>
>>78604813

if you have to read the Way run

at least read Secret Invasion to Dark Reign its the only time Deadpool had where he was actually relevant to the main story

that is until the Duggan run
>>
>>78605030
I'd rather not say for obvious reasons. It's nothing like CBR or Ain't it Cool, but it's not a small site. Last I checked we got somewhere in the neighborhood of 80,000 unique hits on the homepage.
>>
File: Most important person.jpg (2 MB, 1920x2951) Image search: [Google]
Most important person.jpg
2 MB, 1920x2951
>>78604726
>In short, physical pain, death, and suffering don't really register with Deadpool, but long-term psychological anguish/self-loathing and perhaps a few personal tragedies are things he tries to prevent others from experiencing if he can?
Yup. And that's between having every single thing in his life go wrong.
>>
>>78606014

you ever think she'll come back

or do you think planetary collision is going to keep her dead
>>
>>78606188
Ellie's coming back next issue
>>
>>78606014
Awesome. Wow, it really speaks to Kelly's writing that I can nail that by reading two issues.
>>
>>78605029
Yeah, not quite sure why anon posted it.
>>
>>78605488
Kudos to you for living the dream.

And for doing your research.
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.