[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hi /co/, im gay. I'm wondering, is there a visible difference
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 6
File: maxresdefault.jpg (80 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
80 KB, 1280x720
Hi /co/, im gay. I'm wondering, is there a visible difference in character written by men vs gay men?

are the females more realistic when written by a gay man? Are straight male characters written less realistically?

Let's keep this debate civil
>>
>>78596218
Only difference I can see is when straight females write gay males. Usually turns out poorly.
>>
>>78596218
>are the females more realistic when written by a gay man

Certainly not. Why would someone with even less interest in women get them better?
They'll just write them like gay men.
>>
I don't think sexual orientation has anything to do with how well you write people; it's all about actual human contact.
>>
I seriously don't know if there's a female writer on board for any show except tumblr CN shit.
>>78596392
This guy's got it right though.
>>
>>78596218
>are the females more realistic when written by a gay man
No, gay men hate women.
>>
>>78596218
Somewhat off-topic but Rick and Morty does have good female characters for both the main cast and the one-episode or bit characters.
>>
>>78596392
well not just any old human contact, but actually being in touch
which almost nobody is
least of all people with made-up identities
>>
>>78596517
Yes? And? Rick and Morty has good characters all around.
>>
>>78596392
>>78596587
Basically this.

It varies too much.
>>
>>78596664
Yes? And? Do you not understand context, sperg? A lot of shows especially cartoons have very shittily made female characters even if they have decent male ones throughout the episodes and we're specifically talking about female characters right now and their relation with well written male characters as well as how the genders of writers effect this. The fact that Rick and Morty has all or mostly male writers plus the thread started with an image from said show means that it would be more clear and concise to write what I said instead instead of being a pedantic little autist. Why don't you go put a gun in your mouth and pull the trigger like the annoying burden you are.
>>
>>78596392

Yes for most of what a character goes through. Self-conscious gay people act as self-conscious straight people. A gay relationship should have drama no different from a straight one.

But not if the conflict is something gender-specific. Like, for example, a story about a kid coming out of the closet to his parents. I think I would prefer a gay writer's take on it than a straight one's. Not guaranteed to be better, but I think it would help.
>>
File: 1359484045150.jpg (18 KB, 320x287) Image search: [Google]
1359484045150.jpg
18 KB, 320x287
>>78596218
>Hi /co/, im gay.

We know.
>>
>>78596218

It just depends on the skill of the writer, honestly.
>>
File: ScenesFromAHat.png (351 KB, 512x384) Image search: [Google]
ScenesFromAHat.png
351 KB, 512x384
Refreshingly honest statements.

>Hi /co/, im gay.

...well shit, you beat me to it.
>>
>>78596218
I believe closeted gay men probably write straight me very well since they are constantly playing one
>>
>>78596218
>Hi /co/, im gay. I'm wondering, is there a visible difference in character written by men vs gay men?
>are the females more realistic when written by a gay man? Are straight male characters written less realistically?

not visible but certainly noticeable. Gay men in storytelling have poor track record, they are usually not there at all, there for the sake of inclusion, and thus made to be painfully bland, flawless and passive, or flamming to the point of caricature.

gay men are not particularly better at writting a gay character than straight men because males don't really manifest their sexuality that much, they usually display themselves in other ways like physical or intellectual activities, so gays simply don't have anything to show gayness that couldn't end up leading a woman too, that's why women becoming attracted to gays is so common.

Straight men and women usually make the mistake of 'feminizing' them, making the way they express their sexuality the female way, being more mannered or dainty or simply precarious in composture(the ragging pride parade faggot stereotype), when in reality they're guys that do guy stuff and like other guys who do guy stuff. People have trouble with that concept, that their ideal partner can match the ideal of the person they want to become, that's why gays often become renown for being of higher taste and better lifestyle than the normal person, because they feel like being attractive to themselves. Women are the worst at understanding this i think, since they seldom if ever get a proper grasp at the nuances of male power play and comfort distances.
>>
File: 1421128690645.png (107 KB, 469x469) Image search: [Google]
1421128690645.png
107 KB, 469x469
>>78596218
>Hi /co/, im gay.
>im a gril btw
No one fucking cares you attention seeking cunt. Learn to type with capitals.
>>
>>78598927
>>Hi /co/, im gay.
>...well shit, you beat me to it.

Well, hell, OP is always a faggot, everybody knows that.

Not too often that they're actually gay, though.

As for the OP's question:

How the fuck would you tell? Get a selection of writers of various orientations and genders, have them all write some scenes all with the same mix of gay/straight and gender characters, then have a big old double-blind read-off with an audience and ask them?

Truthfully, the hacks will suck and the good writers will do well. Gender and orientation don't mean much.
>>
>>78596218
He's not gay, just NEEDY.
>>
>>78599873

best post in thread
>>
File: 1449364781902.png (798 KB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
1449364781902.png
798 KB, 1600x1200
>>78599873
Well done
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.