[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>Marvel & DC love renumbering back to #1. Why not just
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 3
File: mini.jpg (13 KB, 242x252) Image search: [Google]
mini.jpg
13 KB, 242x252
>Marvel & DC love renumbering back to #1.

Why not just get rid of all ongoing series and convert story arcs into 6-issue mini-series?
>>
>>78584006

I actually had sort of the same idea. Every time that a new writer or creative team joins a title you go back to number one. Much easier to keep track of.
>>
>>78584006
>DC loves renumbering
>Batman v1 v2
>Superman v1 v2
etc
>>
at the end of the day, people WILL buy #1's. jumping-on points are what sells, and now it's about attracting more new customers

what theyre doing is working fine, and they aint gonna change it
>>
>>78584083
Isn't it starting to backfire?
>>
>>78584006
Because then people wouldn't buy the single issues, they'd just wait for the trade. If you say it's ongoing, then people will stick with it, and you can sell it twice: as floppies and as a trade.
>>
Marvel resets their numbering so often we're approaching that point anyway
>>
>>78584006
>Marvel loves renumbering back to #1

Ftfy. Marvel has been trying to do "seasons" for a while now.
>>
>>78584188
>>78584188
>>78584188
Tradewaiting's exactly why.

That said, what if Marvel or DC bundled their miniseries together Heavy Metal/Island style?
Don't mandate 6-issue entries either: 1 shot, 3 issue, 12 issue, etc.
>>
Why did BPRD go back to a numbered series from being a sequence of miniseries?
>>
>>78584136
It actually is. Sales for renumbered #1s this year have been terrible.

Which is good. Renumbering/relaunching should be a once-in-a-lifetime emergency measure, not bi-annual stunt.
>>
>>78584028
Except that confuses people even more.
>>
>>78584270
>>78584054

DC does it too, just less obnoxious.

>Teen Titans #1 (2011 New 52)
>Teen Titans #1 (2014)

>Suicide Squad #1 (2011 New 52)
>New Suicide Squad #1 (2014)
>>
>>78584006
>tfw renumbering back to #1 becomes an annual event with all series lasting up to or less than 12 issues
>>
>>78584666
That's 3 years apart and they are new cast, not just a renumbering.

Jesus fucking Christ I hate that all of you fucking casuals just lump Marvel and DC together when everything you bitch about is Marvel.
>>
>>78584715
>That's 3 years apart and they are new cast, not just a renumbering.
Meanwhile Spencer's Ant-Man has same story in two volumes.
>>
DC has relaunched like what, 5 books at most? All the others were new titles replacing old ones
>>
>>78584083
>people WILL buy #1's
>jumping-on points are what sells

I'd say it's divided between speculators, comic readers who want to try something new and then a power gap to new readers buying their first ever comic.
>>
>>78584771
Yeah casuals are fucking idiots. Marvel has dominated the market and convinced them that both are shit and do these terrible practices even though it's entirely just Marvel.
>>
>>78584292
They're doing that with the upcoming Legends of Tomorrow series
>>
You guys have a problem with me?
>>
>>78584006
That's the next step
>>
>>78584136
Yeah

There was an analysis from comicsbeat of some of the Marvel relaunches and books like Spider-Gwen and Sam Cap are either debuting lower than their last volumes ended at or immediately dropping to WORSE than what they ended at
>>
>>78584006
Because minis tend to sell less outside of event books. There's a belief that if something is a mini series then people will assume it's not important and not buy it. It's why there's been so many "ongoings" (i.e. stealth minis) in the last few years. If it doesn't sell, then it ends and can be rebooted and you can try again. If it sells you can continue it or reboot it with a new number 1 and bigger advertising.
>>
>>78584006
They really should do this.
>>
>>78585499
He doesn't affect shit any more. He's basically in the same position Stan Lee was in by the late 60s and such in that he's the go between between Marvel and the other forms of media.
>>
>>78584006
>Implying DC does this
Don't fucking lump them in with the shills at Marvel.
>>
>>78584006
Because minis don't sell in floppies.

DC just did a bunch of minis and all but the Harley Quinn and Power Girl one sold like shit.
We can only hope those minis do well in trades.

Also
>lumping DC in when Marvel shamelessly relaunches books after five issues
Even if they relaunch any of their current books later this year, they're either going to change drastically (Earth 2, Teen Titans) or are at least 2-3 years old (Green Arrow, Catwoman).
Pretty different from Spider Gwen and Antman continuing in the new volume.
>>
>>78588480
How old is the main series?(Batman - Superman etc etc) 5 years - 4?
>>
File: dorkin_milkcheese1.jpg (114 KB, 468x720) Image search: [Google]
dorkin_milkcheese1.jpg
114 KB, 468x720
I like when comics poke fun at relaunches.
>>
>>78588577
They started in 2011 so they'll be 5 years old exactly later this year.
>>
>>78588261
They did. The numbering above is for any number of DC series from the mid-late 00s. Nobody cared too much about the gimmick.
>>
>>78584006
Will they ever change their numbering so it continues the original one?

Like they did with ASM a while ago.

I like seeing huge three digit numbers, it feels like the series has a true legacy.
>>
>>78589238
I feel the same way, but I'm not sure the Big Two going back to it anytime soon. Apparently three-digit numbers scare casuals, so it's strictly 1-99 from now on.
>>
>Spider-Gwen back at #1 (after 5 issues)
>Ant-Man back at #1 (after 5 issues)
>All-New Hawkeye back at #1 (after 5 issues)
>Silk back at #1 (after 7 issues)
>Squirrel Girl back at #1 (after 8 issues)
>Daredevil back at #1 after (18 issues)
>Amazing Spider-Man back at #1 (after 20 issues)

MARVEL IS DISGUSTING.

I know there's more I'm forgetting.
>>
>>78589428

Atleast DC has a few hitting #50 soon. Are they doing anything special? I saw the solicitations and they seem like any regular issue. Maybe they are waiting for #52?
>>
>>78589238
They still keep track of numbers internally. I'm sure they'll do specials once Action and Detective hit 800 regardless of what numbers are on tge current covers.
>>
I don't mind it much. Feels like seasons, whatever.
>>
>>78589913
The #50 issues are all oversized, and a few of them are doing big story stuff (Superman's powers/costume is back, Bruce is back as Batman, Parallax in GL, etc)

>>78589944
didn't Tec already hit 900? I'm pretty sure they had a special issue for that
>>
>>78589913
It's widely expected they'll do something for the 52nd issues.
>>
>>78589984
What titles will be hitting 52?
>>
>>78589981
Not sure, I lost track of the numbering a while back. I remember them doing a special for something, hence my "keeping track of numbers internally" comment.
>>
>>78589984
>>78589913
There's a BC rumor that says they'll be relaunching stuff when those books hit 52, but I wasn't sure if they meant the book that are hitting 52 are getting relaunched or they'll do a minor event or something and relaunch other things

>>78590021
Superman
Batman
Action
Tec
Wonder Woman
Green Lantern
Green Arrow
Flash
Catwoman
Justice League
Batgirl
Aquaman
>>
>>78590041
They did, new 52 Tec #19 would have been issue 900 if they didn't renumber

they had an 80 page issue for it

http://robot6.comicbookresources.com/2013/04/detective-comics-19-celebrates-900-issues-is-it-worth-7-99/
>>
>>78590051
>Green Arrow
Wasn't that rumored to be getting the axe at 52?
>>
>>78590105
I haven't heard anything about that
>>
>>78590117
http://www.bleedingcool.com/2015/11/06/green-arrow-the-next-dc-comic-to-feel-the-cut/
>>
>>78584006
Patrician DC doesn't do this. Only pleb Marvel.
>>
>>78584028
You might as well use story subtitles at that point.
>>
>>78590337

i would like this.
>>
What I'd personally prefer is that they just go and merge a month's worth of a crossover event into one larger $9.99 or so book.
If you're going to force me to buy GLC to properly understand what's going on in Sinestro, you might as well just stick 'em all together as chapters for a reduced price. There's also lots of interesting things you can do with that format: you could do the standard thing and have each issue be their own "chapter" but you could also have all the writers collaborate, and cut between various plot threads like they do in weeklies.
>>
>>78590337
I wish more titles just had the arc name and "part 1/2/3/etc" on a cover or solicit, especially since a lot of books are written for trades now.
Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.