[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
"LEGENDS OF TOMORROW" REVIEW
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 61
Thread images: 5
File: Legends of Tomorrow.png (2 MB, 900x1260) Image search: [Google]
Legends of Tomorrow.png
2 MB, 900x1260
Seems like the CW actually did it, the absolute madmen.

http://tvline.com/2015/12/27/legends-of-tomorrow-review-cw-premiere/

>There’s a point during the DC’s LEGENDS OF TOMORROW premiere where you may wish the sizzle reel from The CW’s May Upfronts had simply served as the set-up.

>As established in that quasi-trailer over the course of 90 efficient seconds but drawn out in the actual pilot across several scenes, Rip Hunter (Doctor Who‘s Arthur Darvill) — a member of the time-hopping Time Masters — travels back to January 2016 to assemble a team of oneday "legends," in hopes of thwarting immortal madman Vandal Savage (Casper Crump).

>In actual practice, Hunter’s invitation necessitates a great deal of discussion and debate. Can one half of Firestorm coax his reluctant partner to join in? Does Ray Palmer have anything to lose by bailing on the present? (And what advice does Green Arrow offer via a quick cameo?) And what could possibly convince ne’er-do-wells Captain Cold and Heat Wave to sign on for such a noble venture? But once said conversations have been had, after the i’s are dotted and t’s crossed, the times ahead promise to be spread across the ages and a whole lotta fun.

>The first two episodes touch on the show’s rules of time travel as well as give a sense of from where the weekly drama will come. Simply said, the Legends most often will either be following a lead that might allow them to intercept Savage at a time prior to 2166 (when he conquers and runs roughshod over the globe), or scrambling to undo a ripple they accidentally caused in the timeline. On that latter front, there is the potential to serve up the occasional BACK TO THE FUTURE-like folly — as happens in the super-enjoyable second episode, when Professor Stein (Victor Garber) fails to not bump into his younger, groovier self.
>>
>>78561874
>Seems like the CW actually did it

Made another crappy television drama whilst poorly adapting comic characters?
>>
File: Jonah_Hex_0008.jpg (230 KB, 674x1024) Image search: [Google]
Jonah_Hex_0008.jpg
230 KB, 674x1024
>MFW there will be a Jonah Hex episode.
>>
File: Legends.jpg (279 KB, 800x452) Image search: [Google]
Legends.jpg
279 KB, 800x452
>Viewers of LEGENDS OF TOMORROW's sires should be quite familiar with the main characters, though this deeper dive into their personalities paves the way for entertaining surprises. On THE FLASH, Wentworth Miller’s Leonard Snart consumes a steady diet of scenery; here, he gets to be more of a rascal. Similarly, Dominic Purcell’s Mick Rory evolves from a man of few words (and much flame) into a champion of the crazy. And whereas Ray Palmer on ARROW mainly served as a somewhat inert love interest, here Brandon Routh delivers an amusing mix of geeky swagger. Ray also enjoys greater command of his Atomic abilities, yet is still capable of the occasional “Whoops!”

>Previously explored in drips and drabs across several appearances, Stein as a Legend is fleshed out and full of surprises; hopefully he will continue to be used as a walking historical encyclopedia (a role he crucially fills upon visiting the ’70s). Alas, the other half of Firestorm, Jax Jackson (Franz Drameh), as well as Hawkman and Hawkgirl (Falk Hentschel and Ciara Renée), head into this as relative unknowns and thus have the task of earning viewer engagement.

>Brand-new to the CW is Darvill’s Rip Hunter, who through much of the opening hours is saddled with gobs of exposition and the role of Exasperated Project Manager, as team members one by one run afoul of the “rules” he has laid out. An eventual twist or two, however, give the charmer some needed texture. Big Bad Savage is… well, a savage, here to say and do eeeevil things and little more.

>That leaves Sara Lance, who as played by ARROW vet Caity Lotz enjoys the greatest — and most fun — resurgence, nudged as she has been by someone back home to seize this chance to be a “hero in the light,” as White Canary. Sara, along with Snart and Rory, is always game for a good time as they travel through times, a point made gloriously clear as the trio dive headfirst into an epic bar brawl that you’ll surely rewatch at least once.
>>
File: Tomorrow.jpg (30 KB, 400x200) Image search: [Google]
Tomorrow.jpg
30 KB, 400x200
>The visual effects are on par with ARROW and THE FLASH. Rip’s ship, the Waverider, carves through the sky a la the Millennium Falcon and phases in and out of cloaking mode with a fun crackle, while a (British) “Gideon” A.I. serves as a quippy copilot. The group fight scenes, however, almost dare to be made sense of, populated as they are by guns and people simultaneously firing heat, cold, atomic pulses and lasers back and forth across the screen; that Savage is not brutally maimed during any such melee is no small miracle. Also, for all the payload that Captain Cold frequently unleashes, I don’t think we ever see anything actually end up frozen — except perhaps the CGI budget cap?

>THE TVLINE BOTTOM LINE: DC’s LEGENDS OF TOMORROW promises good times as its unlikely team travels through time — though it will require a superhuman effort to battle THE BIG BANG THEORY, GREY'S ANATOMY and AMERICAN IDOL‘s final season.

Also, a new promo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QqBpLP44a1E
>>
Qui
>>
>Waverider

Nice.
>>
I can see that bussy from a mile away.
>>
Pull up on a kid
>>
>>78562310

WAIT

WHERE DO THEY MENTION HIM?
>>
The only thing that bothers me about this premise is the fact that Cold and Heatwave are in it. It just seems like they were desperate for recurring characters from Arrow/Flash.

You know who should have been in? Vibe.

>>78561933
That'd bring us one step closer to my dream of a Jonah Hex HBO show.
>>
>>78562310
>>78562728
almost got me hype for Booster but it's just the name of the time machine
>>
>>78562784

They're bouncing around the timestream, not doing multiverse travel.

Next season would be cool to see them tackle that though.
>>
>>78562009
>while a (British) “Gideon” A.I. serves as a quippy copilot.
So future barry allen made the AI in Rip's ship?
>>
>>78562784
it's less desperation and more Johns wanting his husbando in everything
>>
>>78562798

Aw shit. That's still a pretty good shout-out though.

Why they didn't make it gold colored though to really hammer the reference in, I don't know.
>>
>>78561930
I don't care what you say, this is the best adapted version of Captain Cold in any medium besides the comics (which is obvious because Geoff Johns wouldn't let them ruin his favorite). The rest of the characters are debatable some are worse while others are okay.
>>
>>78562784
I don't care if it's desperation. They are the only reason I'm really excited for this. Besides we can see Cold do his crazy heists throughout time.
>>
>>78561933
No there won't be. He was asked on a podcast if they would meet anyone from the different time periods from the comics and he said no because they just wanted to focus on the team, but maybe in season 2.
>>
Im just going to tune in for the Suicide Squad trailer in all honesty.
>>
>>78562931
Isn't that on a different night? I think it's after Flash
>>
>>78562944

They've got previews going with all the january series returns, I think.
>>
>>78562817
While I'm glad Gideon wasn't forgotten, I'd still like an explanation as to why they haven't revisited Professor Zoom's Room of Doom and Gloom to ask her about Zoom and Earth-2 and all that jazz.
>>
There's no way this was worth making.
>>
>>78562784
Eh, legendary criminals
>>
>>78562849
Is Captain Cold robbing banks again yet?
>>
>>78563846
If you say so, the review said it was good, so yeah bud
>>
>>78562817
it could be barry created the original Gideon which all others are derived from. so eobard's gideon and rip's gideon are just descendants of the original prototype
>>
>>78561874
>Professor Stein (Victor Garber) fails to not bump into his younger, groovier self.

Different actor? In the 70s Garber was clown Jesus

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OqEHaQ1RbME

They surely can't afford the CGI de-aging Ant-Man did.
>>
>>78564004
He's going to be robbing stuff in the past. Cold and Heat Wave want to rob items from different eras. They'll ruin the timeline!
>>
>>78562009
You know, at first i though he was not like Vendal, but the shoot at him on the stairway proved me wrong
>>
>>78562009
>Rip’s ship, the Waverider,

welp
>>
>>78563846
It's a show made of C-list characters going on adventures through time to stop an immortal madman! This show was what I've always wanted.
>>
>>78562784
Cold is admittedly really damn crafty and smart and will be good for always having a plan.
Heatwave is pretty stupid though.
>>
>>78564183

He's around just because Cold's on for the ride, really.
>>
>>78564173

Same here, I fucking love plots that throw together random-ass C-listers to save the world.
>>
>>78564199
>>78564183
tell heatwave 'in the future, you burn a god to ash' and he'll do anything you say to make that happen
>>
>>78564183
>Heatwave is pretty stupid though.
Yeah, but it's always a good idea to have a big dumb brute on your team.
>>
>>78561874
http://tvline.com/2015/12/18/legends-of-tomorrow-season-1-cast-matt-nable-ras-al-ghul/

Eh
>>
>>78562784
Captain Cold and Heatwave's inclusion only worries me because it might push Cold all the way into anti-hero territory. I think it's too soon for any of that, I need Cold to organize the rogues and be a proper villain before I'm interested in a redemption
>>
>>78562930
>yfw they have his face on a random "WANTED" poster in the background.
>>
>>78564288

Oh I'm sure they're going to have Cold trying to steal shit from every time period they visit.

Remember that screenshot someone pulled from the trailer that showed him trying to pull a heist in the future in the same museum that housed Booster Gold's suit?
>>
>>78563816
Gideon was integrated into Reverse Flash's suit when he was erased from time.

They did retrieve a spare RF suit from there that Harry used this season though.
>>
>>78564142
Holy shit, he was in Godspell? I fucking love that show.

>Did the lighting for my high school's production of Godspell
>Always got filled up during On the Willows.

Damn good show.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dDkploOdrbI
>>
>>78563036
That is the 19th, the DC specials come on after flash. This premieres on the 21st.
>>
>>78561874
>doubting the based cereal god
>>
>>78564224
Exactly! You can get away with things you wouldn't be able to with "well-known" characters and really get to know them also!
>>
>>78564288
I think this will just help him further establish his code of conduct and how to work better with teams. He'll probably go back to stealing stuff once the adventure is over.
>>
>>78564941

I just love well-done crossovers of all kinds because it makes for neat opportunities for interactions and development between characters that don't normally get a chance to bounce off of each other.
>>
>>78565011
Yep. It looks like Len, Mick and Sara are going to have a fun dynamic being the most morally ambiguous of the team.
>>
>>78565700
>Legends beat Savage, everyone goes home.
>Later, the Rogues are robbing a bank.
>Sara's there just for the laughs.
>>
>>78564620
First movie role. I prefer Jesus Christ Superstar
>>
>>78565746
>Preferring JCS
Anon. Cmon.

Ah hell they're both fucking fantastic.

Flash has a lot of musical talent, huh? Barry was from Glee, I think Cisco was in shows, and now Stein? Cool.
>>
>>78565743
>Sara and Golden Glider becoming friends
Think for a minute my friend
>>
I feel so greedy wanting Legion to show. but CMON IT'S TIME TRAVEL
>>
>>78565790

Yep, we've been wanting them to do a musical episode for ages.
>>
File: boner.png (301 KB, 408x457) Image search: [Google]
boner.png
301 KB, 408x457
>>78565797
>Sara and Golden Glider becoming "friends"
>Gilder lets Cisco watch.

>>78565833
Oh right, now I remember. Music Meister when?!
>>
>>78561874
>"LEGENDS OF TOMORROW"

I still can't get over what an awful title that is.
>>
>>78566967
It's a classic!
>>
>>78564142
That was some fantastic de-aging
>>
>>78566967
Johns said no to JSA, he had a good reason though
Thread replies: 61
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.