[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
how do I get into comics? do I just start from the beginning
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 5
File: maxresdefault.jpg (82 KB, 1366x1156) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
82 KB, 1366x1156
how do I get into comics? do I just start from the beginning or jump at the latest issue or what?
>>
>>78557215
Just watch movies and pretend you know about comics, that's what the rest of this board does
>>
>>78557251
I do that already, but I want to read something
>>
Read something with #1 on cover. If you like it, continue.
>>
>>78557215
dumb feelposter
>>
>>78557215
Focus on finding writers you like.
>>
What are you interested in, OP?
>>
>>78557283
Do the volumes matter? For example Fantastic Four vol 1 has 400 or so issues, which is a lot, but vol 2 has only a dozen.
>>
File: 002_0002.jpg (492 KB, 709x1080) Image search: [Google]
002_0002.jpg
492 KB, 709x1080
>>78557215
Start with the cheesecakes. Know the cheesecakes. Love the cheesecakes.
>>
>>78557301
Cape comics, mostly Superman, X-Men and F4. I don't know where or how to start though
>>
>>78557319
>I don't know where or how to start though

Have you tried googling it? You'll get the exact same recommendations and entry level reading lists /co/ gives.
>>
File: superman recommended.jpg (110 KB, 400x729) Image search: [Google]
superman recommended.jpg
110 KB, 400x729
>>78557319
I don't read much Marvel but for Supes you can check out All-Star Superman, Red Son, and Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow?
>>
>>78557347
Yeah, I guess, but is it recommended to read Golden/Silver age stuff?
>>
>>78557215
>how do I get into books?
Same way.
>>
>>78557347
Not OP but I been watching Batman since I was a kid and never got to read the comics where do I start and go? Any suggestions?
>>
Go to any download site and just type in "Superhero/Comic Character run" and you'll probably get a few hits. I started off with GL by downloading some 18 Gig torrent with everything he ever appeared in from the Silver Age to Sinestro Corps War. I read everything
>>
>>78557319
For X-Men Read Claremont and/or Morrison
>>
>>78557501
Depends on what kind of Batman do you enjoy.
>>
File: COT_2KPVEAEg_7K.jpg (35 KB, 570x574) Image search: [Google]
COT_2KPVEAEg_7K.jpg
35 KB, 570x574
>>78557309
Sensational
>>
>>78557416
>is it recommended to read Golden/Silver age stuff?

Like everything in life, some people like it, others don't. The only way you can decide for yourself is by trying it yourself.

>>78557501
I suggest you google it.
>>
>>78557319
Okay, but then don't tell people that you want to "get into comics". Comics are a medium, but you don't want the medium, you just want a genre.

Here are some cape comics that I recommend. You may read them from the beginning.
http://www.mediafire.com/EssentialCapeshit
>>
File: superman-modern-essentials.jpg (579 KB, 1102x1442) Image search: [Google]
superman-modern-essentials.jpg
579 KB, 1102x1442
>>78557215
Read these:

The Life and Times of Scrooge McDuck
Silver Surfer Requiem
Planetary
Hitman
Garth Ennis' work on Punisher
Frank Miller's work on Daredevil
Alan Moore's work on Swamp Thing
Kingdom Come
Marvels
Grant Morrison's work on Animal Man

>>78557319
>Superman

pic related.

>X-Men

Morrison's run.

>F4

60s version if you want to read the OLD stuff. John Byrne's version if you want to read a less old fashioned version of classic F4. Mark Waid's version if you want to read a modern version.
>>
>>78557215
Read all the new Marvel #1s. If you want specific titles, read ANAD Avengers #1, Uncanny Avengers #1, Guardians of the Galaxy #1 and Amazing Spider-Man #1. Those are the main books.
>>
>>78557215
>how do I get into comics?
avoid capeshit that's bogged down with references from years of mangled continuity and focus on singular works from creators that have their own story to tell
>>
>>78557305
Most of times, it doesn't matter.
>>
>>78557755
Would also recommend reading the rest of Geoff Johns' Action Comics run, which includes Escape From Bizarro World and Superman & the Legion of Super-Heroes along with another could of random issues.
>>
>>78557733
Are you the American Splendor guy?
>>
>>78557215
There's a couple ways. And a ton of opinions. If you want to dive deep, don't. Comics seem like they aren't for everybody, in my experience.

But everybody can find something they like. There's probably a genre you'll like more than most, but you won't know what it is yet and likely won't find it on your first few books.

Read something entry-level, and familiar. Doesn't have to be good. Google Maps a Comic book store near you, stop by after work and just peruse. Do you want recommendations?
Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.