[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What made you stop reading the Big 2?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 82
Thread images: 10
What made you stop reading the Big 2?
>>
The two recent reboots that turned them into marketing exec controlled monthly movie ticket billboards
>>
I haven't stopped reading capeshit but I did stop reading mini comics. They just aren't worth the time and money to follow
>>
>>78547270
So youve just stopped reading Marvel?
>>
i still read the big 2 but i only REALLY enjoy the indie titles
but i still enjoy seeing my favorite characters doing whatever
>>
I got a job. Now that I have less free time, I only keep the essentials (creator-owned comics) on my pull.
>>
>>78547237
Civil War
>>
I don't bother trying to keep up with ongoing shit and simply wait for the books to finish before reading them.
>>
>>78547237
SJW invasion.
>>
Status quo, stagnant pacing, bad writing, "progressive" changes and overexposure/favoritism for popular characters.
>>
Nothing.

I read indies and other stuff, and I read novels more than I read comics.

But there's nothing like sitting down and reading a good, new Batman story.
>>
>>78547326
This poor delusional bastard...
>>
>>78547496
Not telling be how im wrong
>>
>>78547237
Flashpoint for DC
One More Day for Marvel
>>
>read Green Lantern comics
>everything changes
>then goes right back to what it was before
>find out all comics are just retconning themselves back and forth between various shit, and nothing is permanent or means shit
Comics are dumb. Either make a comic that isn't bogged down with canon, or have your canon mean something. I don't want some Lucas 'repeating story' bullshit. At least the Marvel movies are going somewhere.
>>
>>78547432
>>78547441
You realize you didn't have to read Squirrel Girl? If these are the only reasons why you ditch the big 2 then I don't think you were into them in the first place.
>>
>>78547666
Comics aren't dumb. Comics are a medium.

Read creator-owned comics instead of corporate-owned editor-controlled comics to-be-honest.
>>
Too expensive.
>>
>>78547571
Do you even read New52?
>>
>>78547786
Op said movie driven and nothing DC has put out has been anything like the movie(s).
>>
>>78547237
None of the New 52 books clicked with me and the Marvel books I did read were gradually switching over to a "let's generate buzz by pissing off fans" model.
>>
>>78547237
Remender left
>>
>>78547842
Do you even read Harley Quinn?
>>
Nothing, I just read their smaller series now instead of the big bombastic A-listers.
>>
Stop being a pretentious Jackass and learn to have fun with books and ignore the shitty writers from Marvel and DC just like how you ignore the shitty writers from other companies.

And if you are claiming stuff like Superior Foes of Spiderman, Ant Man, or ANGR are bad then you can eat a dick.
>>
>>78547906
No but what does that have to do with my point. Current comic harley devolped as a result of her no longer being just Joker's bitch. So writers did whatever and went crazy with what a blank slate she is. I may not be s complete fan of it but its a nice change. And markets off if the sympathic villian love ppl have.
>>
>>78547942
Superior Foes and Ant Man aren't funny
>>
>>78547906
Do you?
>>
>>78547237
AvX

then I jumped in for Infinity... and jumped out.

Now there is no chance I read them again, I think.
>>
>>78548055
I feel your pain, kind anon. What a thing to try.
>>
>dcfags celebrate that their comics are not trying to create synergy with cinematic universe
>harley quinn gets an on going even before her movie
>harley quinn loses the nu52 redesign for the movie design
>bane wears a coat which he also holds on to with both hands
>their attempt of an avengers scale movie is not even out yet

Oh, you guys are going to be so, so disappointed.
>>
>>78548120
If BvS does well then we can be worried. All those things you just named are hardly anything to be concerned about.

>Bane has a coat like in the movies

Big fucking whoop.
>>
>>78547237
Schism, AvX and the disaster that was Wolverine and the X-Men

Don't get me wrong. They were certainly fun reads, but it made me realize I get my fun out of comics from the story, and that includes having a consistent continuity.

I guess I was mislead by the constant progression in the teen X-books and the events surrounding the Messiah Trilogy
>>
>>78548120
Harely got yet another solo book
She has a jacket that a parody/homage to her movie jacket thats nit permanent
Bane wears a coat during a snowstorm isnt seen with it on ever since.

I know Marvel is shitting on you guys but damn just ask for some wipes to clean it up.
>>
>>78548120
The design wasn't based on the movie you're not good at trolling
>>
I never started.
>>
>>78548193
These guys just see random images on here and think that's how all the books are.
>>
File: dealwithit.jpg (72 KB, 389x360) Image search: [Google]
dealwithit.jpg
72 KB, 389x360
>>78547237
I still read a few titles from each of them.
Plus manga, indie, Euro comics.
>>
File: Dummy.jpg (44 KB, 215x451) Image search: [Google]
Dummy.jpg
44 KB, 215x451
>>78547270
>two recent reboots
>two reboots
>two
>>
>>78548226
They're still shit. Not movie shit, but still shit.
>>
I gave up on Marvel because Bendis and Slot. DC is still good.
>>
>Dramatic faggots pretending to think that every single ongoing at the big two is complete and utter trash and that All of Image's books are major game changers.
>>
>>78547786

The New 52's problems had nothing to do with live action synergy
>>
>>78548120

>Bane had a coat for one issue

Oh wow DC is just as bad guys!
>>
>>78548930
>Image
I shill for Fantagraphics, you insensitive clod!
>>
when captain American became a nigger and thor a coalburner.
>>
File: tumblr_npkxzxiqOm1qglnd4o1_500.gif (96 KB, 500x377) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_npkxzxiqOm1qglnd4o1_500.gif
96 KB, 500x377
>>78547666

this is some very toxic thinking as it leaves no room for marvel/dc canon comics that are simply good reads in and of themselves. warren ellis's moonknight for example, did advance the character, but was, in effect, generally independent from anything before it. in fact, the volume was more reminiscent of golden age one off collections than anything else. in short, the book is a perfect example of marvel 616 storytelling that isn't "bogged down with canon" as this poster put it.
>>
File: Dial_H_Vol_1_15.jpg (2 MB, 1920x2951) Image search: [Google]
Dial_H_Vol_1_15.jpg
2 MB, 1920x2951
>>78547237
i didnt they still push something nice out
>>
Bendis and JRJR on marvel and the constant shitting on new God stuff in the new 52
>>
Nothing.
>>
I just stopped when I realized that capes are static and the status quo rules all.

I don't understand how after 70 years people aren't tired of it .
>>
>>78547237
if you read long enough things start to repeat themselves. i could only be told that a big event would have irrevocable consequences then immediately those consequences reversed so many times. nothing ever begins nothing ever ends its just the same dozen or so characters punching people over and over
>>
read some image books without ads in the middle of them and now I can't go back. Plus the art was better and the story was weirder
>>
people itt trying to keep cape readership up by saying "no, no you're the problem with capes there's nothing wrong with them at all hahaha"
>>
Nothing yet, I'm still enjoying not being ashamed of the things that I like.
>>
I haven't read a Marvel comic since that AvX desu
>>
>>78547237
The realisation that the X-Men franchise would never be good again.

I never cared that much about capeshit, but I've always had a soft spot for the X-Men. Whether that's nostalgia, inertia or because they actually used to be good I don't care, but lately it's all been shit with maybe a small nugget of gold every now and then, but it's not worth wading through all the shit to find it.
>>
I haven't been keeping up with DC, the last thing I read was the Harley team up book, and the Death Flash comic, and before that the last thing that I read was the ending to Larfleeze.
>>
File: image.jpg (228 KB, 960x720) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
228 KB, 960x720
I enjoy Big 2 comics.
Pic related.
>>
>>78551467
>70 years
Be honest, anon, how many of those comics have you read? I mean if you're bored, that's cool, but there is a huge variety of stuff produced in the last 70 years that is nothing like the status quo you seem so offended by.
70's ASM, for example shares very little with current ASM beyond a name. The same can be said for a great many books.
>>
>>78552162
Yeah, there's a huge variety in the Big Two. But there's an even huger variety outside the Big Two.

I'm gonna die before I read everything, but I'm going to make the most of my limited lifespan by dropping the Big Two.
>>
>>78547237
Growing up did the trick.
>>
Marvel:
>the endless awful events
>the obvious switch to tumblr-tier writing and art
>the constant fucking reboots

DC:
>lots of ideas, but only a handful of them are genuinely good and only half of those are properly brought to fruition
>>
I was deep into marvel during civil war, and a big fan of the planet hulk arc which happened around the same time

but then world war hulk was so much garbage, and the after math of civil war into skrull arc was such a fucking mess

if there is anything good about big 2 over other kinds of comics it should be that there is a huge ongoing story connecting many different characters from many different titles

but this is actually the worst thing about them. the best marvel comics are one offs, or a dozen issues from a particular run by a consistent writer artist team

when change the writer and artist or try to mash shit together they just fuck everything up

i never even tried with DC. I read a few collections from around the time wonder woman broke a guys neck and it seemed like just as much of a goddamn mess as marvel so i stayed away.
>>
>>78552195
Good for you.You should read what gives you pleasure.
As for me, I still like capes, just not the current stuff. However, I'll give anything a try. I just like comics.
>>
>>78547237
Nothing, I'm not autistic enough to wrote off an entire set of companies when the comics are created by individuals
>>
>>78547237
I haven't stopped completely, but my interest in the Big 2 has dwindled tremendously. "Event fatigue" is the biggest clear complaint that I have, but I just find myself not caring what happens to what used to be some of my favorite characters. I've moved on to Image and Valiant quite a bit.
>>
>>78552249
>if there is anything good about big 2 over other kinds of comics it should be that there is a huge ongoing story connecting many different characters from many different titles
>but this is actually the worst thing about them. the best marvel comics are one offs, or a dozen issues from a particular run by a consistent writer artist team

Shared universe is better, awesome even, when the overlap is kept to a minimum. The success of CoTIE and OG Secret Wars fucked that for all time, though.
>>
File: 1451233725945.jpg (177 KB, 518x810) Image search: [Google]
1451233725945.jpg
177 KB, 518x810
>>78547718
>You realize you didn't have to read Squirrel Girl?
yeah, cause it was only one book, right?
>>
File: 1451119070522.png (3 MB, 2000x1032) Image search: [Google]
1451119070522.png
3 MB, 2000x1032
>>78552387
it's not like it was shoehorned in multiple books i read.
>>
>>78552287
It's not as if those individuals are free to write about what they want to write about.

The writers are told what to write by the group editors, and the group editors are told to tell the writers what to write by the editor-in-chief.

A writer doesn't want to write Character X, but rather they want to write Character Y? Too bad for them, that character is off-limits. A writer doesn't want Character X to be replaced by Character Z as a result of the latest event? Too bad for them, that character is now a legacy. A writer wants their story for Character X to continue for one or two more issues? Too bad for them, that comic is canceled.

Freedom isn't free in editor-controlled comics.
>>
File: 1451233801693.jpg (2 MB, 1310x1043) Image search: [Google]
1451233801693.jpg
2 MB, 1310x1043
>>78552412
just that one specific book
>>
>>78552424
Pasta?
>>
>>78552447
http://desustorage.org/co/search/text/Freedom%20isn't%20free%20in%20editor-controlled%20comics.

Nope.
>>
Event burnout, lack of lasting impact of ongoing canon, comics keep resetting to status quo once movie comes out.

SJW shit is just one extra reason not to dive back in.

Let it burn. I'll stick to indie or self owned comics.
>>
>>78547237
I only ever read spiderman for marvel, and I dropped that shit a long time ago. I still like DC besides all the stupid decisions they make.
>>
>>78547237
I grew older than 12.
>>
>>78547237
Geoff Johns on Teen Titans, where in the first issue he shoots Impulse in the kneecap. This causes Bart to suddenly stop being hyperactive, read an entire library at super speed, and decide to change his name from Impulse to Kid Flash.

It wasn't as big or as bullshit as One More Day or some of the other shit comics have pulled since, but for me, who at the time was the same age as those teen sidekick characters and loved them as an escapist fantasy, to see that shit do such a downturn so quickly was enough to get me into pirating pretty much immediately after that.
>>
Nothing matters.

Floppy format is terrible.

Floppies are also overpriced.

About 90% from either company is sub-par at best.

Poor application of "diversity." I don't mind more "non-whites" or women in comics, but they're not doing it well, they're just (Marvel especially) shoving them in, no matter how badly it fits (for the most part; some DO work, though, like Kamala). The big problem I have with it, though, is that they're doing it for all the wrong reasons. Not because it's "right" but because they want to "fit in," pretty much. It's as if the tagline for the diversity push is, "We're 'down' with the minority thing." It just comes off as really sad.
>>
File: Crossovers.jpg (266 KB, 1600x1011) Image search: [Google]
Crossovers.jpg
266 KB, 1600x1011
>>78547237
4 dollar base price tags, tons of ads, lack of quality control and a story I need to read because of continuity, but will be reset and made null because of continuity.

Oh yes, and crossovers. So many crossovers. Pic so very related.
>>
>Marvel
It's not JUST the constant reboots and renumber-ings. It's not JUST the fact that the comics are glorified test kitchens for tv/film projects. It's not JUST that the books pander to "progressive" ideas, using strawmen and self-aggrandizement instead of reason and nuance. It's not JUST the fact that the people running the show have contempt for their audience.

It's the combination of all those things. It's the fact that, put simply, Marvel is aggressively ashamed of their history. It's the fact that the old guard can't just pass the torch, they have to be infantalized and emasculated through contrived old age (Wolverine, Captain America), character assassination (Hawkeye) or literal re-evaluation of "worthiness" (Thor). They are there to be "deconstructed" and demolished.

>DC
Please figure out what you're doing. Hire new advertising people or something. Stop changing streams mid-horse, or whatever fucked-up crisis of infinite board members you're having to cater to.
>>
>>78552246
>Marvel
>Reboot

That's how I understand you don't read comics.
Thread replies: 82
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.