[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I am the only person that likes Chris Evans yet feels like he's
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 4
File: Best Suit.jpg (63 KB, 570x320) Image search: [Google]
Best Suit.jpg
63 KB, 570x320
I am the only person that likes Chris Evans yet feels like he's not very good at being Captain America?

Look at his "inspiring" speech during the Hydra reveal at the end of Winter Soldier. It felt very half-hearted.
>>
>>78541643
>Look at his "inspiring" speech during the Hydra reveal at the end of Winter Soldier. It felt very half-hearted.

Nigga what?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BW8_usG_B0E
>>
Nah, he's the only one who feels like he's actually trying to play the character rather than playing some version of themselves as an actor. He does great as Steve
>>
>>78541643
>I am the only person that likes Chris Evans yet feels like he's not very good at being Captain America?
You might be, I don't know. I like him in the role.

>Look at his "inspiring" speech during the Hydra reveal at the end of Winter Soldier. It felt very half-hearted.
I felt exactly the opposite to me. It was a standout part of his performance in the film, which I liked overall. There's not really much to say about it, I just didn't get that impression at all.
>>
Dunno what you're on OP, Evans Cap is the best part of the MCU.
>>
>>78541643
He could do with better and more consistent writing since he's played three different characters named Steve Rogers at this point.
>>
NO. YOU MOVE.
>>
I think it's just you, OP. I think he's fantastic.

Even though the speech itself is horrible. I'd love to see him do the "Doesn't matter what the press says" Civil War thing.
>>
>>78542544
He's simply undergone character development anon
>>
>>78541643
>I am the only person
Yes you are.
>>
>>78542688
No, there was no development going on in "The Avengers". Joss Whedon is just shit at writing Captain America.
>>
>>78541643
No, I kinda agree.

Like, he's a good actor, and he does a good job with what he's doing, but he's just not quite 'cap' for me. He's a little too boyish and timid. I feel like Cap is complete granite. He is completely certain of who he is, and inspires confidence and strength of will in others.

MCU Cap is still good, but he's a little too timid, a little too unsure of himself. He can inspire hope sure, but he doesn't radiate the same air of confidence and determination that Cap has.
>>
>>78541643
He's a lot more boy-ish than his comic counterpart. He's a bit young to sell the seasoned war-hero father-figure, but It works, because he's got a contract that ends, unlike the comics.

So whenever he truly feels fully formed, he'll die as a sacrifice. He's primed to end up like the comic counterpart.

I like it better this way, since you follow his journey and the character, and see him learn and develop. Like in TWS whenever pierce asks him what Fury had told him, and he deliberates and eventually chooses to tell the truth. You can see him decide his path, instead of having his path already decided by default, like the comics.

He also comes off more humble and less arrogant this way. He doesn't presume to know what is the best thing for everyone to do, and if he does he doesn't push it unless it becomes a problem, he just knows what HE has to do, and he does it.

Whenever Whedon is not around, at least. Motherfucker does not get that at all.
>>
>>78542808
He let go of his past attachments to World War II and his life with Peggy and the soldiers he left behind and accepted that the Avengers was his life now
>>
>>78542818
>He's a little too boyish and timid. I feel like Cap is complete granite. He is completely certain of who he is, and inspires confidence and strength of will in others.
Yeah, this exactly. Like when you watch Earth's Mightiest Heroes, that whole episode where he inspires everyone to work together or his talk to the Hulk during Kang's invasion. THATS captain america.
>>
File: jessica-jones-blues-simpson.jpg (73 KB, 642x360) Image search: [Google]
jessica-jones-blues-simpson.jpg
73 KB, 642x360
>>78541643
As soon as I saw pic related I thought he'd have made a better Cap. By the end of JJ I knew he would.
>>
>>78542897
No he didn't. He didn't do anything of the sort.
>>
>>78542818
The issue is that his first movie spent most of the story showing his early stages and growing pains in becoming Captain America. There was no real pay off where we see him be the symbol of hope for the entirety of the Allied Forces in Europe
>>
>>78542897
No man, he did that in TWS if anything. It'll probably be fully dealt with in the next one.
>>
Wasn't convinced at first but then he got moralfag and straight edge and sold me a retrograde Steve.
>>
>>78543089
>>78543140
There are three scenes that make up his character arc. When Sam asks him if hes found a new place to live after living in Washington, his hallucination of the dance hall that ends in all of his friends fading away and him standing alone, and finally the scene at the end in the new Avengers base where he tells Natasha that he's home now.

It's not super complex or anything, but it's there. He comes to find the friends, the home and the purpose he lost in the Avengers
>>
>>78543320
I was talking about the first avengers. In the second one it's a little bit better, yes, but it still doesn't change his character, really. Although to be fair, I wouldn't in such a crowded movie.
>>
>>78542942

I completely forgot about Nuke I thought they were setting up U.S. Agent
>>
>>78542942
Worst post in the thread, that guy was a shit actor and literally looks like a dime store Evans.
>>
>>78543418
I could live with that too.
Simpson was moralistic, upstanding, committed, willing to act and make hard choices. When shit hit the fan he took his share of the blame.
Hero we deserve etc. I think they wasted him on Nuke.
>>
>>78543404
Yeah, the first one doesn't really have strong character arc for Steve outside of him coming to quarterback the team in the final battle. In the second one, they at least had the nice parallel shot of him standing in the empty dance hall and him standing in the empty room in the Avengers base, where he accepts it as his new home and comes to terms with the life that he lost
>>
>>78541643
Me too. I like Evans, he seems like a great guy, but he isn't muh Cap. That said, Cap is still the only character they haven't butchered in the MCU.
>>
>>78542818
I completely agree. I like Evans but my ideal cap would have been a young Aaron Eckhart. Battle LA was a shitty movie but fuck, Eckhart really channeled the Captain in his speech. Can't find the clip on youtube.

http://www.wingclips.com/movie-clips/battle-los-angeles/lost-soldiers
>>
>>78544765
The problem with these strong chin chaps is that they wouldn't sell the skinny cap nearly as well. Evans isn't that weak-chined, but he does have a large nose and a bit of an overbite, which completely sells that he was a dork.
>>
>>78544855
That's true, Evans really nailed that aspect of the character.
>>
>>78544855
Yeah, it's actually deeply important that we see Steve as a sensitive artist and dreamer in New York before he becomes Captain America
>>
I like this new, younger Steve. It's a refreshing take on the character. He seems like if Spider-Man became Captain America, which is fine by me.
>>
>>78541643
No, actually I think he's been perfect so far. He really nails the aspect of Steve that's still the little weakling deep down inside, struggling to live up to how people see him.
>>
File: Snowpiercer.gif (2 MB, 245x290) Image search: [Google]
Snowpiercer.gif
2 MB, 245x290
Unlike most MCU leads so far (yes including RDJ),
Evans has so much more to offer as Cap.
>Pic Related, problem solved
>>
>>78546533
Cap should have a beard?
>>
>>78546533
>including RDJ
Why point specifically at him?
Everyone knows he can only do ''le narcissistic and sarcastic hero'' paper because he's a narcisistic asshole irl.
>>
He is a little different than the Captain America of the comics, but I don't think his way is really invalid. He's basically a less experienced Cap who, while certainly a proven badass and hero, didn't really journey all the way to stoic veteran before he went into the ice, a condition that only gets worse once he's thrown into a future he's unfamiliar with. Still, I think he nails the emotional and ideological core of the character expertly without a lot of the trip ups that have happened before, and the pre-serum stage of the story is the best version of that part I've even seen.
>>
>>78541643
Yes...Yes you are.

He's damn near perfect as Cap, he embodies the character perfectly. Evans as Cap is my favorite CBM performance.
>>
I think he's a good movie cap. I don't think he's a dead on representation of comic book cap.
>>
I see his version of Cap as legitimately human. He dealt with loss and moved on, but knows what he's fighting for. He understands the time and place to be a soldier, and the time and place to be a leader. The "feel" I get from his portrayal is that, like an anon above mentioned, he doesn't have all the answers, he still struggles a bit with his childhood as an easily-bullied kid, and that he's got a very good sense of right and wrong.
>>
>>78542105
That speech was shit.
>>
>>78550469
I don't think it was a "speech." It was more of a, "Here's what's going on. Here's what's fucked up. Here's what I'm going to do. Join me if you want and believe the same thing. That is all; out."
>>
File: rifUsRl[1].gif (908 KB, 500x251) Image search: [Google]
rifUsRl[1].gif
908 KB, 500x251
I love his Cap. Steve Rogers is probably the most difficult role in the Avengers to fill because there are so many ways to go wrong. It would be so easy to have him come off as an uptight, self-righteous, preachy dad, but Evans steers away from that by playing him as sincere, a bit self-deprecating and self-aware, and with a sense of humor as well as honor.

It's frustrating because I think Whedon is writing him more like the comics Cap in the Avengers film, but that doesn't quite jive with the characters' histories in the solo Cap films. He's not a battle-hardened old vet with decades of shared banter with Tony; MCU Cap was defrosted like a week before the Avengers invasion. Steve is a guy in his late 20s who *just left* WWII and anyone he ever knew or cared about, so Tony's old man jokes come off as more cruel than funny.

What I find interesting about the solo Cap films is that he very much feels like a young man just trying to do the right thing and find his way in the world like anyone else, except he's burdened with nearly a century of cultural baggage he was never there to influence or witness. But he just smiles and tries through it, like when Peggy abruptly forgets him in Cap2. That's little Steve shining through.
>>
relevant to discussion. Talks about Evan's depiction against the background of the other Cap incarnations over the years
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vZknp9aFM3c
>>
>>78551672
Thanks, I'm about halfway through and liking the video a lot. I knew most of this stuff but it's fun to see it all summarized (YEAH, CAPWOLF), and I think it's a good intro for interested new fans.
>>
>>78551672
>nostalgia chick

no thanks senpai
>>
>>78541643
I liked the speech, but I guess I get what youre saying. My hope is that civil war will give chris the chance to really show us what his captain america is made of.
>>
>>78543469
agreed
>>
>>78543136
Yeah, instead of a real symbol of hope his public image was a real-life cartoon character, not to mention he never fought real Nazis

Then Whedon claims he went to Berlin in his speech to Loki, nuh-uh he was beating up HYDRA in that frozen forest for the entirety of his combat service.
>>
>>78551672
>nostalgia chick
baka desu senpai
>>
>>78541643
I don't think here's neccesarily good at being comic book Cap, but he's great as MCU cap sort of like >>78551570 said
Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.