[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Just got done reading pic related. Damn, that was a trip. What
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 5
File: 234511.jpg (724 KB, 1987x3056) Image search: [Google]
234511.jpg
724 KB, 1987x3056
Just got done reading pic related.
Damn, that was a trip. What did you think about it /co/?
>>
>>78531276
Why do you value your life so little?
>>
>>78531276
Pretentious convoluted garbage from Morrison the druggie
>>
You should have posted a general multiversity cover OP
posting THAT issue on its own is going to vastly skew the discussion, if not just prematurely kill the thread outright

I loved the series though, definitely make sure to read some annotations though because seeing what you missed makes it even cooler, especially with pax
The Just was arguably my favorite issue
>>
File: wow.jpg (8 KB, 220x180) Image search: [Google]
wow.jpg
8 KB, 220x180
>>78531276
Multiversity has a lot of very good issues, but this and the series finale are pretty much pic related
>>
>>78531276
I read multiversity

I'm not sure I understood or get it though
>>
>>78531276
Kind of reminded me of Flex Mentallo.
>>
>>78531653
this

the entire series was just like a pitch for a better series
>>
File: 2deep4you.jpg (27 KB, 157x293) Image search: [Google]
2deep4you.jpg
27 KB, 157x293
>>78531653
>>78531972
>>
Multiversity felt like the end of an era for Morrison. Like this was his meta-textual superhero story thesis statement or something. I have a feeling Multiversity 2 is going to be more neo-silver age standard Morrison cape fare.
>>
>>78532131
I can't wait to see what Grant and other writers have for Multiverity Too. After hearing about Grant's Flash idea for a few years now, I am so hyped for volume one to come out. Wish they would tell us who's on art already though.
>>
File: animal man.jpg (91 KB, 600x940) Image search: [Google]
animal man.jpg
91 KB, 600x940
>>78531276
One of the best examples of a "fucking with the reader's head" comic that I've ever read. Morrison tries to do that a lot, but usually comes up short. This was probably his second best attempt after pic related.

Overall probably my favorite issue of the year and one of the two issues (along with Pax) that fully lived up to the series' promise of being something new and mindblowing.
>>
>>78532131
>>78532270
Multiversity Too is literally a Flash GN. That's it. There may or may not be other issues by other writers, or potentially by Morrison, but nothing else is planned.
>>
>>78531276
Morrison fan here.

Ultra is garbage. With Morrison you come for the wacky high concept but it's strong character work which keeps you there.
Ultra has no character, it's just a dumb parlor trick.
>>
>>78534192
>it's just a dumb parlor trick
That's the fucking point!
>>
Funny, I remember /co/ almost unanimously praising this issue when it came out.
>>
>>78531276

I had expected more from it.

...Okay, I'll come out and say it.

A tiny part of me was hoping something REALLY fucked-up would happen to reality.

Like getting a knock at the door as I am reading it.

Because Grant had somehow managed to really do what he always said he wanted to, and somehow the minds of everybody reading it would cause a sort of ripple in space-time. Like he had rediscovered shamanic magic and channeled it through a comic.

Quantum magic.

Oh well.
>>
>>78534617
I was also hoping for Grant's wizardry to work.
>>
>>78534192
>it's just a dumb parlor trick

See: >>78534250

Also,
>strong character work

Morrison is a TERRIBLE character writer. His work is 100% idea driven. Occasionally you get lucky and get a decent story to go along with it (e.g. All Star Superman).

>>78534482
Because it's an awesome issue. One of Morrison's best.

>>78534617
>>78534814
Morrison hyped up Multiversity to be the ULTIMATE "mindblowing" comic and this unprecedented experience in the medium. In the end only Pax and Ultra even came CLOSE to delivering on that promise. The rest of the issues were quality, but the disappointment that so many people had with it as a whole seems like it has to do with the fact that it was "just" a superhero/elseworlds story and overall nothing mindblowing or even unique or new. It wasn't even as well crafted as Animal Man, as deep (in terms of structure/content) as All Star Superman, or as idea heavy as Doom Patrol or JLA. So overall it kind of sits in the middle of his bibliography in terms of reputation. Some issues were great though. The highlights made the whole thing worth it.
>>
>>78531342
Got any resources for the annotations? I prefer floppies/wanted to read in real time instead of trade waiting so I haven't really seen the "director's cut" etc.

> Let my friend borrow Multiversity
> He's about to read Ultra Comics
> I warn him.
> I can't stop him.
I'm sorry, /co/.
>>
We need to get Ultra/Gentry/Intellectron banners on 4chan to infect the internet as a whole like Grant predicted.
>>
>>78531276
Morrison explains the meaning of Multiversity:

>Always I've thought, and particularly now in the era of event-driven comics where characters are subjected to these absolutely life-ruining events in every story arc, I wanted to sum up what all these stories are. It's where the characters get to the end and they appear to have beaten the bad guy, and then an even bigger bad guy shows up and says, "I'll get you later." The real big bad guy at the end - he looks like the Ultra Comics character, but he's also the reader. The empty hand of the reader when he puts the comic down and everything ends. But like the bad guy, he can also come back in full force and say, "You'll meet me again."

>I like my books to have multiple meanings. There's multiple ways of reading it. The big bad at the end represents all the big bads in every story. We just beat that villain, now here comes the Anti-Monitor. We just beat the Anti-Monitor, now here comes something that's bigger than big. That was my thinking - the ultimate bigger than big, the ultimate universe destroyer. It's the reader, who chooses to either participate or not.
>>
>>78537331
>It's the reader, who chooses to either participate or not.

So by not reading event comics I'm sparing characters the suffering that is always involved?
>>
>>78531276

is this comic about like that one thought experiment where if you imagine that a mind-raping computer exists it is already enslaving you or something
>>
>>78532732
Nothing else is announced, but Morrison said that the flash OGN was the first OGN, not the only OGN
>>
>>78536609
>Morrison is a TERRIBLE character writer
objectively wrong
>>
>>78532718
>fucking with the reader's head
Right, I know I never would've guessed I was actually reading a comic book if the pictures hadn't told me.

So mind blowing.
>>
>>78537385
But thats dumb, even from a meta perspective. Because the author has already written the story and subjected the characters to all the suffering anyway.

Whether we read about it or not the story has still happened.

Grant's trying to put all the culpability on us, the readers, when it's the author who is responsible for what the characters go through.
>>
>>78537385

Well if people don't buy event comics, comic companies stop making them.
>>
>>78538287

See: >>78538320

Companies want to make money. Stop giving them money for it and they'll stop having those stories written. Vote with your wallet, as it were.
>>
>>78537385
I can't find the quote, but Morrison said that Multiversity, in a conceptual sense, was about the relationship between the reader and the writer/artist(s).

Remember, Ultra Comics was meant to be both the comic that the reader was reading in the real world AND the character. But also, since the reader is participating in the comic by reading it, Ultra Comics was also meant to BE the reader (this is even explicitly said). It's YOUR choice to read that makes the story/characters/comic/dialogue/etc. happen as ideas/thoughts in your own mind (think of when Ultra Comics was talking about "hearing my voice in your head"). Hence all the talk about "living ideas" in the comic.

And remember "TURN THE PAGE. DO IT. SLAVE."? That's Morrison essentially asking the question "whose ideas are these really?" and if maybe it wasn't really even your choice in the first place but if maybe the choice came from somewhere else that you weren't aware of (there's even a line about The Gentry getting into the comic [and by extension the reader's head] when you weren't paying attention). Morrison's toying with the idea that maybe a comic could "infect" the reader with ideas that weren't their own ("be careful what ideas you let in your head").

Morrison's building the concept around the (obvious, but almost always neglected and unspoken) fact that the real substance of a comic (or any written and/or drawn story) is what you see and hear in your head when you read it. It's not made of paper and ink, it's made of IDEAS, and they happen IN YOUR MIND. Imagine a comic that no one ever reads. The story would never happen. There wouldn't even BE a story. YOU give those ideas (LITERAL) life when you choose to read it. So YOU are Ultra Comics. And that's why Ultra Comics becomes The Empty Hand. Because those "living ideas" in the comic, whether it's the characters or the "multiverse" or whatever, are destroyed by YOUR LITERAL EMPTY HAND when you put the comic down/stop reading.
>>
>>78537716
He said it's the only one he's planning on doing. But that there MIGHT be others, whether he writes them or not. He even suggested that "Multiversity" could become the replacement for Elseworlds.
>>
File: 1422913986854.gif (320 KB, 300x169) Image search: [Google]
1422913986854.gif
320 KB, 300x169
>>78531276
I hope you're posting this form the nearest quarantine you suicidal fuck.
>>
>>78538345
I haven't bought an event comic since Sinestro Corps War.
>>
>>78531276

Individual issues are very worthwhile, but the frame story is a retread of old themes. Final Crisis had all of it, and it was a thousand times better. Morrison should stop with the superheroes, because while he has a unique viewpoint, he elaborated that viewpoint from every possible angle. I guess the main contribution of Multiversity is to prove that different stories DO work for established flagship characters.

Enoying his creator-owned stuff like Nameless, nonetheless.
>>
>>78538573

Yeah, that is pretty obvious to anyone with a brain. But I already got all that from Final Crisis.

Plus, there is a flaw (if Morrison even intended it that way): If superhero stories are ideas instead of ink on paper (or ideas triggered by ink on paper), then they continue to exist in my head even if I put the comic down. If I think about them, they exist and even if I do not think about them, they exist as implications (Superman is a variable, not a constant, and has different kinds of instances depending on reader psyche, author moment in time etc.).
So I would see that as a theoretical underpinning of his multiverse theory, but I understood The Empty Hand as more of a metaphor for the fans who don't read comics but just discuss them. Thus, skewing the market with their opinions and dictating storylines through paranoid market "reseachers".
>>
>>78539529
I think the analogy of "The Empty Hand" is more about the reader's control and choice and how those ultimately can supersede even "infectious ideas".
>>
Im a poor fag and i've been wanting to read that issue for awhile.
I've looked every where and i cant find scans of it anywhere, or even torrents. anyone know where i can find it free?
>>
>>78539890
I haven't checked these links, so they may or may not still be working. Included is the chronological edit of Pax that /co/ made.

The Multiversity 001 (2014) (Digital) (Mephisto-Empire).cbr
http://www44.zippyshare.com/v/RiNuo4mM/file.html

The Multiversity - The Society of Super-Heroes 001 (2014) (The Last Kryptonian-DCP).cbr
http://www44.zippyshare.com/v/r7sOCFW9/file.html

The Multiversity - The Just 001 (2014) (Digital) (Mephisto-Empire).cbr
http://www44.zippyshare.com/v/yPChV47G/file.html

The Multiversity - Pax Americana 001 (2014) (Digital) (Mephisto-Empire).cbr
http://www44.zippyshare.com/v/VVmOOIki/file.html

The Multiversity - Pax Americana - Director's Cut 001 (2015) (Digital) (Mephisto-Empire).cbr
http://www69.zippyshare.com/v/KasGe2Uw/file.html

The Multiversity - Pax Americana 001 (Chronological Order) (2015).cbz
http://www25.zippyshare.com/v/5OHZWRjs/file.html

The Multiversity - Thunderworld Adventures 001 (2015) (Digital) (Mephisto-Empire).cbr
http://www44.zippyshare.com/v/FshBlr0B/file.html

The Multiversity - Guidebook 001 (2015) (Digital) (ThatGuy-Empire).cbz
http://www44.zippyshare.com/v/qdZFY1Hu/file.html

The Multiversity - Mastermen 001 (2015) (Digital) (Mephisto-Empire).cbr
http://www44.zippyshare.com/v/4reaAPAM/file.html

The Multiversity - Ultra Comics 001 (2015) (Digital) (Mephisto-Empire).cbr
http://www44.zippyshare.com/v/skdihb8W/file.html

The Multiversity 002 (2015) (5 covers) (digital) (Minutemen-Mollylvr).cbr
http://www51.zippyshare.com/v/rlv0HedN/file.html
>>
>>78540033
may the gods bless you sir
>>
>>78538287
Apart from this>>78538320, I think he meant that fictional takes place for each person separately, as they read them and construct those images in our mind and hear the voices in our head. The characters go on to live for each of us as we read them.
That's the best I could put it in words.
>>
>>78531276
I found Mastermen to be criminally underrated. It's entertaining to read and has great character. I love how the narrative of Olsen changes and Gentry comes into play when you read it the second time.
>>
>>78539890
Your public library might have the trade
>>
Weren't there suppose to be "Director's Cut" editions of the two main books released this week?
>>
>>78531276
Ultra best husbando.
Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.