[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
During what years did comic art look best to you? Why? >Talented
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 4
File: image74-e1432726751936-600x921.jpg (204 KB, 600x921) Image search: [Google]
image74-e1432726751936-600x921.jpg
204 KB, 600x921
During what years did comic art look best to you?

Why?
>Talented people?
>Artistic trends?
>Costume designs?
>Printing quality?
>Digital coloring?

Tell us what you enjoy visually!
>>
Silver Age through the 80's

The talent, artistic trends, and costume design through those time periods really appeals to me

This mainly applies to mainstream comics, I think modern indie stuff can look great
>>
>>78524827
late 70s through mid-late 90s. shit was just cool. just the right amount of detail
>>
>>78524827
Early mid 90s before that Maduria anime shit took over
>>
>Captain Carrot

What? When? How??

And what is Deathstroke doing here?
>>
>>78525790
JLU was a rotating team up book, with a few set members (Stargirl, Alanna Strange, Animal Man, Equinox) and then a few guest stars (both hero and villain) who would change every arc (one arc was Swamp Thing, Poison Ivy, Mera, Etrigan; another arc featured Easy Company, Sgt. Rock, Steel, Robotman, Enemy Ace, Batgirl, Vandal Savage, and a couple others)

but it got cancelled after a couple arcs so most of the people in that picture never showed up
>>
>>78525000
>>78525503
>>78525686

I don't understand the high praise for old stuff. Is it weird that I think current comics that started AFTER New 52 and Marvel Now, are the best looking comics? Why would you guys prefer flat colors without any shading? Why would you guys prefer that ugly newsprint paper? Why would you prefer being limited to art that all looks so generic that you can't tell who's drawing it?
>>
>That Animal Man in OP

What is he up to nowadays? I miss him.
>>
>>78525915
I recognize everyone but the grey dude between Steel and Captain Atom.
>>
>>78525958
>you can't tell whose drawing it.
Speak for yourself.

>>78524827

70's. Peak Kirby; Romita, Kane, Andru, Buscema, Cockrum.
Shit was cash.
>>
>>78525958
>Why would you prefer being limited to art that all looks so generic that you can't tell who's drawing it?
You don't know what you're talking about
>>
>>78525915
I see. But Captain Carrot is still baffling to me. He has his own universe now and Earth-0 never featured him before.
>>
late 90s/early 2000s, when many comics began adopting a more cartoonish sensibility since both major companies saw a lot of success in animation at the time (DC with BTAS/STAS, Marvel with the X-Men and Spider-Man cartoons)

it didn't last even until the mid 2000s but there was some good stuff that came out of it.

i would say currently, a minor inspiration to a lot of new artists entering the industry is anime.
>>
its not the era of art its the artist. each era has its distinctly good and distinctly bad artists and distinctly generic ones.
>>
>>78525958
>Is it weird that I think current comics that started AFTER New 52 and Marvel Now, are the best looking comics?
Yes. Very weird.
>>
I don't really like a specific era, just depends on the artist. I like artists/art from just about every era.
>>
Mostly 70s, and a bit of the 80s. I'd probably be into stuff going a bit farther back, but I honestly haven't read that much. Golden age art has some charm, too, but a lot of it is also really homogenized.

I really don't think now is that bad a time for art, either, though. Artists get some freedom even from big publishers, it seems like, so you get some interesting stuff.
>>
>>78525958

this has to be bait
>>
File: X-Men 007 - Inside...Out! - 17.jpg (944 KB, 1024x1244) Image search: [Google]
X-Men 007 - Inside...Out! - 17.jpg
944 KB, 1024x1244
>>78524827

Mid 90s were probably my favorite era, i fell in love with the Jim Lee style like lots of people did, there was tons of stinker art from that time like liefeld but its what i grew up on
>>
File: Plastic Man_POL_11.jpg (478 KB, 750x1071) Image search: [Google]
Plastic Man_POL_11.jpg
478 KB, 750x1071
>>78526602
>Golden age art has some charm, too, but a lot of it is also really homogenized.

Yeah when it comes to cape stuff C.C. Beck's Captain Marvel, Will Eisner's the Spirit, and Jack Cole's Plastic Man fell like the only standouts in the golden age.

EC was where all the great art was at though
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.