[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What went wrong?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 3
What went wrong?
>>
Pretty much everything. Gwen herself isn't compelling or strong enough to support the weight of an entire narrative. She was an interesting curiosity in the crossover but now it doesn't work. The stories are trite, the art is bad, and the world which is the most interesting thing about her isn't getting the attention it should be. Her supporting cast is also complete garbage.
>>
>>78520733
A fantastic costume and decent premise aren't enough to hold an ongoing if the writing and art are both of middling quality beyond that. Plus Gwen is the worst part of her own book, and cool world building doesn't matter if all the focus is going to be on a weak character, doubly so when all of her non-comic appearances seem to use a different, more generic but equally uninteresting, personality.

That said there's worse things, even if it is wasted potential. Love the costume though.
>>
>>78520733
Frank Cho isn't the artist
>>
>>78520733
The writer isn't strong enough and Gwen herself is incredibly boring.
Also with the Spider Women crossover it seems her book will probably get pulled into 616 earth shit more often which goes against what the book should be doing.
>>
>>78520733
Marvel milked it too much and too fast.

Gwen easily jumping into alternate universes (not even for adventures, but just to fucking hang out) makes her own universe feel much less significant.

Contrast with Ultimate Spider-Man.
>>
>>78520733
Personally Marvel doesn't characterize its Spider-characters well. Every single one is written like a stunted Peter Parker.

Parker quips and spouts corny jokes to cope with the craziness and tragedy he's endured. That should be a trait unique to him.

I haven't read much of Spider-Gwen, but she seems to be music minded, which was also a mistake. Music never translates well into comic books.
>>
>>78520733
Spider-Gwen was the wrong Spider-Verse character to get their own spin-off
>>
They didn't develop her enough before she started hopping in and out of other universes. It feels like she's been in more colabs then she has been in her own comic.

Really cool design though
>>
>>78521150
hmmm

You would be right if Parker was in his classic status quo, but he is not.

I enjoy Spider-Gwen and yes, I am getting strong classic Parker vibe, which is miserable personal lives, making jokes fighting villain. Considering current Parker is nothing like that, I find the idea ever "single one is written like a stunted Peter Parker" to be a ridiculously off the mark
>>
>>78522122
Think she'll sell her marriage to the devil to save her dying father?
>>
>>78521697
If it got one, it probably would have been hated or failed.
It was interesting, but I personally can't see what else they could have done with it.
>>
Silk did all that they tried to sell it on better.
>>
They should've had her set up base in 616 and be Peter Parker's inappropriately younger lover.
>>
>>78520733
As someone who likes it, it needs to be more standalone and less dimension hoppy and crossover. Apparently a lot of her best stuff are in event books that you couldn't pay me to read, let alone buy.
Actually that's not true, I'd probably read them for very low pay. Like, I dunno, a quarter. I'm pretty depressed.
>>
It didn't have Mania as her Venom alt.
>>
>>78520733
She got too popular for you and you started to hate.
You dirty hipster.
>>
>>78520733
It was pretty telling that 80 to 90% of the praise Gwen got was for her costume rather than concept or character
>>
>>78521037
>>78522122
Yeah, I think it's the same problem Miles had. Instead of developing the character on his own first he was thrust into event after event and thrown onto a team almost immediately to try and save the Ultimate Marvel line.

Same thing happened here. Since Spider-Gwen was introduced as part of a universe hopping crossover event she was doomed to this fate from the start.
>>
Secret Wars hurt it a bit. Plus it look like they're doing multiverse shit when that's the opposite of what it really needs to be doing.

I thought it was starting to hit its stride before Secret Wars hit, but the stuff we've gotten since hasn't been as good.
>>
File: photo_05.jpg (57 KB, 567x800) Image search: [Google]
photo_05.jpg
57 KB, 567x800
A big ol' meaniepants drew a picture with her butt in it and ruined the character forever.
>>
>>78524144
I've been enjoying the new series more because Gwen's been more of a character and the stuff with her world. It just needs to stop the damn dimension hopping and let it stand on its own Spider-Girl style.
>>
No consistent personality
Another "Hip college age white girl" book that acts like you're supposed to like the character because she's hip college age white girl.
>>
Originally I was interested in this universe because it looked like a cool take on all the characters. I mean, Frank as chief of police? Daredevil working for Kingpin? Very promising start.

But then they blew it with one issue.
>>Shield
>>Captain America
Why? Why couldn't they try something with this universe that is different? Why do we need SHIELD being big brother AGAIN?! Why couldn't we have a universe that starting with the superhero problem and doesn't know what to do?
>>
>>78521697
Yea, it should have been Aikman, he was the most interesting
>>
>>78520733
The core concept. There's no even a point to it, it's not even Gwen Stacy in character (which would be boring as anyway) it's blonde Peter with girl bits.

Also the hoodie looks stupid.
>>
>>78525248
What's really tedious is how much Marvel is rewriting the character of Gwen. I guess Emma Stone would do that.
>>
>>78525292
Is Spidey meant to be 616 canon or alt-universe? Cause that has her going to high school with him
>>
>>78525326
well considering the osborns are black in that, and have different hair, and flash has black hair, its just a random alternate universe.
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.