[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do we fix her?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 6
File: image.jpg (42 KB, 236x394) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
42 KB, 236x394
Why is she so underrated /co/? Over the past several days, I read Rucka's Hiketeia, his mainline run, Gail Simone's run, and the Azarello run. I enjoyed all of them, with Rucka being the best. She has legitimately well written stories, but I feel like nobody talks about her. Is it because she lacks an "All-Star Superman" or "The Dark Knight Returns"? What would you do to fix Diana's public perception?
>>
/co/ shames Diana by not offering suggestions. I'm being forced to BUMP.
>>
>>78505104
This
>>
>>78504568
>read all that
>didn't read her quintessential run - Perez

Still a pleb.
>>
>>78505130
My library doesn't have that, anon. I'm going to buy the omnibus soon.
>>
>>78504568

>implying she needs to be fixed

Fucking pleb.
>>
>>78504568
She lacks compelling villains, no one likes Batman they like his villains.

She could survive on a Superman type of popularity if she actually performed amazing feats, which she does not, those her major problems.

The only hero I know of to rise above the compelling villains problems is Iron Man and that was because of his movie where his popularity became the suits themselves, sort of like James Bond and gadgets.
>>
File: 1447564876492.jpg (171 KB, 684x498) Image search: [Google]
1447564876492.jpg
171 KB, 684x498
>>78505201
>no one likes Batman
>>
>>78505130
>>78505178
Why so angry? We're talking Big Two superhero comics, so the conversation is already Full Pleb by default.

Calm down and bond with your fellow Wondie fans.
>>
File: 1341724832017.png (129 KB, 250x418) Image search: [Google]
1341724832017.png
129 KB, 250x418
>>78505201
>no one likes Batman
>>
>>78504568
I think she's a little lacking in the Relatability factor that Clark and Bruce get from their secret identities and well-defined supporting casts.

She's an interesting character because the writers often deal with the fact that she *isn't* relatable, that she wasn't raised as a normal human, that she's fully aware of her superiority to normal humans. A lot of good Wonder Woman stories are about how unlovable she is.

But the only time she's really been lovable was in the TV show, and people loved Lynda Carter, not Wonder Woman.
>>
>>78505201
>She lacks compelling villains, no one likes Batman they like his villains.

But the best thing in Dark Knight Returns is Batman... and then that depiction of Superman.
>>
>"How do we fix"

How do we fix /co/ to stop having these threads
>>
The majority of mainstream comic readers are not interested in any female characters unless they're smirking body-flaunters (e.g. Power Girl and She-Hulk) or quirky manic teenagers (e.g. Batgirls and Kamala).
>>
>>78505269
People loved and still love Lynda Carter's rendition of Wonder Woman. I didn't grew up watching the show, but it was what made me so invested into the character in the last 5 years.

And you talk about relatability and secret identity... That was central to the TV show. Lynda herself has talked about how Diana Prince was how she communicated her persona, while Wonder Woman was just the superhero.

Removing the Diana Prince alter ego was the worst thing Perez did, and its impact on all WW stories since then is notable. Other writers strive so much to make her likeable without that. And even attempts to bring it back have nit been the same.
>>
>>78505371
Would like to mention that I haven't read one God issue of Power Girl. Utterly confused about why people like her character or the Gray/Palmiotti run.
>>
File: 1441000627670.jpg (71 KB, 413x633) Image search: [Google]
1441000627670.jpg
71 KB, 413x633
>>78505287
>and then that depiction of Superman.
>>
>>78504568
what do you mean fix? people buy superwoman runs and the character is generally liked.
>>
>>78505457
I agree that removing the secret identity was a mistake. Also ever since Perez, Wonder Woman has constantly been associated with Greek mythology, and it's often kind of boring and depressing, as Greek myths tend to be.

Marston's original concept of the Amazons was a crazy person's idea of a feminist paradise. Making it a "real" Greek mythology story always weighs the character down.
>>
WW has a very small supporting cast and very few memorable villains.

In fact most super heroes suffer from this problem. WW is just the most high-profile one because of the idea that she's equal in importance to Superman and Batman.
>>
>>78505314
Filter "how do we fix" and other /co/ meme phrases. Works for me.
>>
She was the hot girl who became a social justice cunt. Men hate that shit and don't read it. Wonder Woman is good as dead.
>>
>>78504568
What she lacks is good authors who have the decency to build up her rouges gallery, keep her main cast, and recycle from the old to give her an iconic lore.

Literally no one has wanted to do this for ages. The closest are the guys from Legend of Wonder Woman that's coming out weekly.

Aside from that people don't know shit about her because her lore cannot keep consistent.

Shitty editorial, shitty authors, scared of failure leads to bland lore and stories.
>>
>>78505529
Removing the secret identity wasn't a mistake, it's just that a lot of writers have difficulty writing a civilian life for open superheroes.

>>78505575
>>78506426
Superman has the same problem. Outside Lois, Jimmy, and Perry his supporting cast is frequently in flux and his rogues gallery dominated by Lex.
>>
>>78506672
I wish wonder woman even had a Lois, Jimmy, and Perry.

Steve and Etta are so frequently written out that you'd think a cast would be toxic for her. All she's really got is Hippolyta and whatever Amazon the author feels like naming with whatever greek name he can find on google.
>>
>>78506672
Superman at least has an extended Superman family. Or at least he used to.
>>
>>78506986
Hippolyta is a constant and Steve is like Perry, he can go long stretches without appearing but is fairly frequent. The problem isn't writers bringing in new supporting cast, it's that they rarely visit old supporting cast. Wonder Woman isn't tied down to a single city like other heroes so having people come in and out of her life makes sense, but if you're revisiting a setting there is no reason why prior cast shouldn't show up again.
>>
>>78507058
So does Wonder Woman: Donna, Cassie, Hippolyta. Though ever since the New 52 they've barely been used.
>>
>>78507102
Not nearly as large as Batman's, and even Superman had a pretty extended family for a while. A lot of them have since gotten axed, but still.
>>
>>78507102
When was the last time Donna, prior to Finch, or Cassie were big parts of Wonder Woman's comic? They're both more associated with the Teen Titans.
>>
Give Wonder Woman to an actually talented writers who'd look forward to the opportunity. Don't cater to fucking men and be written by men who have always, always, always struggled writing females characters because to dudes women aren't characters or really people. Just things to fuck that complain too much.
>>
>>78507218
>>>tumblr is that a way, friend
>>
>>78507270
But I'm not fucking wrong.
>>
>>78507351
Yes you are. All of Wonder Woman's good stories are written by men.
>>
>>78507404
Yes and look at the state her franchise is in today and the drama that took place just to get her a solo film. Why is there constant "She's broken, please fix her threads"? Why is she not the popular and loved icon she's constantly played up to be? Why does everyone think she's boring and lame? Where's her holy grail?
>>
>>78507351
Yea, WW barely caters to any specfic demo. You sound like you never read WW.
>>
File: ww22[1].jpg (81 KB, 400x608) Image search: [Google]
ww22[1].jpg
81 KB, 400x608
>>78507454
>Why is there constant "She's broken, please fix her threads"?
Because /co/ likes to make bait threads for people like you to reply in.
>Why is she not the popular and loved icon she's constantly played up to be?
She is.
>Why does everyone think she's boring and lame?
They don't. Who is 'everyone' - /co/?
>Where's her holy grail?
Right here.
>>
Don't see enough cheetah or Giganta these days
>>
>>78507454
>Where's her holy grail?
The concept of a character's "holy grail" is nothing more than saying a really popular story involving her. It doesn't have to be good, faithful to the character, or even bring anything new to the table, just popular. It doesn't even have to be a comic book.
>>
>>78507455
See
>>78506067
This is the common perception. That is a problem.
>>
>>78507571
>This is the common perception.
Someone shitposting on 4chan isn't the common perception of anything.
>>
>>78507541
Yea, they problem lies in the transition towards focusing on her Greek myth roots.
Maybe we can ask for more but ypu really need a writer who would be willing.
>>
File: image.jpg (529 KB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
529 KB, 1600x1200
>>78507599
Yeah plus they need design overhauls. Take Cheetah for instance, right now she's full cat lady: I would keep the wealthy heiress and split personality origin but combine that with the evil spirit. As for the look I'd take notes from Ross's suit, having an animal pelt/mask instead of a full suit, add fangs/claws, no fur, and compliment it with Amazon light armor
>>
>>78507788
Nah, each version of the Cheetah has enough backstory to work with for them to be WW villains in their own right.
>>
>>78505269
this
>>
>>78507454
People like the idea of wonder woman
When it comes to her actual character and history its hard to ignore all the very bad stuff that generally hampers her character.

Marston putting all his fetishes into her early stories is probably why so many writers have to create something new with her character.

She has a great concept but there's nothing to build upon because its already on weak ground
>>
>>78504568

I shudder to think of the difficulties in making a Wonder Woman movie. Here, I'll outline some of them for you.

First, Wonder Woman is from the island of the Amazons. What are the Amazons like? Are they lipstick lesbians? Well, you've already offended the feminists. Are they buff as hell? Not only is that repulsive, now guys aren't going to watch the film.

So, who does she fight? Greek mythology, certainly. You have minotaurs, evil Gods, wicked sorceresses and so on...But are you only going to let her fight women? You could do that, sure, but there's the risk of you being called a fetishist.

You want her to fight Hades or Ares? That might work, but it's going to be hard. See, male characters can have the shit beaten out of them: If a female character gets a real ass-kicking, it's misogynistic. And there's an uncomfortable level of sexualization in the brutality you'd get when a hulking oiled male is beating down a woman half his size.

And if she doesn't get hit, or hurt ugly, in the entire movie...Well, that's just bullshit, isn't it? Let's not even get into the problems with the patriotic stripper costume.

Now, I know Wonder Woman isn't actually like that. But that's the perception of her, and that's why a movie for WW is a bomb no one wants to touch. It'd basically be Thor, but worse.
>>
>>78507218
Like they're currently doing with the Finches, right? Fuck off.
Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.