[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
TMNT's original cartoon turned 28 today. What are /co/'s
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 8
File: Cartoon (19).jpg (45 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
Cartoon (19).jpg
45 KB, 640x480
TMNT's original cartoon turned 28 today. What are /co/'s overall thoughts on the series?

I have it to thank for basically nursing my interest in the property, as I grew up on it, the subsequent merch & films, etc. I think it's a pretty amusing show, if only for its absurdity. Some of it has held up well enough (like the first season & stand out episodes across some others) but a lot of it hasn't. Then of course there were the weird filler features that nobody ever liked, like when hillbillies caused a ruckus in NYC, when Mr. Ogg the porcelain eating pee-wee herman spoof alien "came to town", various mad scientists regurgitating each others plots, & so on. The animation errors are notorious, some argue it's part of the charm, & while I share that opinion, I am fully aware they're just one of many on the long list of flaws this show had. It defined the turtles as the public knows them, & did a lot for the property in general, but all the same it has held it back considerably, as most people refuse to see it as anything more than fodder for kids & toy sales (the Mirage comics, known for their maturity; a somewhat depressive & introspective tone paired with actual ninja action, are often dismissed outright).
>>
>>78499804
Interesting concepts pulled off way better in later incarnations

But Uncle Phil Shredder is the best Shredder
>>
File: received_10206476151812432.jpg (51 KB, 800x535) Image search: [Google]
received_10206476151812432.jpg
51 KB, 800x535
Well said anon
>>
>>78499804
>It defined the turtles as the public knows them, & did a lot for the property in general, but all the same it has held it back considerably, as most people refuse to see it as anything more than fodder for kids & toy sales (the Mirage comics, known for their maturity; a somewhat depressive & introspective tone paired with actual ninja action, are often dismissed outright).
This.
>>
>>78499804
Every turtle was Michelangelo (except Mikey who was Shaddy)
The villians were incompetent jokes
The animation was bad and full of mistakes
The humor was terrible
The action was terrible
They got rid of Mikey's nunchucks
Every animated tv show cliche was in it
>>
>>78499804
I agree.

Plus I think this had the best proportions for the turtles, shorter than the average human, which the movies did use. It helps to make them more of scrappy underdogs. The 2k3 series had more heroic proportions and that's fine but I prefer them smaller.
>>
>>78499804
Is it worth rewatching?
I'm on a bit of an old-cartoon bender and was considering it, but the sheer number of episodes is daunting
>>
>>78500106
The first season is a five episode pilot. If nothing else, that's worth a watch.
>>
YOU MEAN TO TELL ME THAT NOBODY GOT A GIFT FOR SPLINTER?
>>
>>78500172
>>78500106
The first five episodes are pretty solid. The rest of the series is basically trash.

Unless it's a Casey Jones episode.
https://youtu.be/eTiAM_Xnq3A
>>
>>78500446
Shut up.
>>
File: cartoon (237).jpg (33 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
cartoon (237).jpg
33 KB, 640x480
Bumping with the best thing to come out of it.
>>
>>78502545
David Wise please leave.
>>
>>78502582
He's legit the most enjoyable character in the show, how could anyone think otherwise? & I say that as a Mirage fan who acknowledges he's a bastardized joke compared to Utroms. Still, he's hilarious.
>>
File: 2508878-turtle1234.jpg (86 KB, 864x573) Image search: [Google]
2508878-turtle1234.jpg
86 KB, 864x573
>>78502648
>Mirage fan
No you're not.
>>
>>78500472
He sounds like the Alice from SuperJail.
>>
>>78502960
Oh fuck off back to the technodrome forums, mate.

>Michael Dooney art
Here, have a Krang from him.
>>
>>78503031
He made the design of the toy?
>>
>>78503355
Yeah, Shredder as well. He's been designing stuff for Playmates since way back.
>>
>>78503812
Dooney is so based. Wish he made a run instead of Lawson. I like Lawson but he made two volumes while Dooney only made covers.
>>
>>78503923
Dooney's a lazy fuck, that's why. He's up front about it, at least. "I stop when it starts to feel like work" is what he says when asked why he did covers & pin ups for the most part.
>>
>>78499954

>They got rid of Mikey's Nuncucks
Only in bongland
>>
>>78504008
Uh... No. The series had Michelangelo use a grappling hook almost exclusively for almost every season. That's because of the UK, yes, but it was the case everywhere. They didn't simply edit them out, they weren't really there at all after season 2.
>>
>>78504095
this

i remember binge the series with a friend back in college. they took them away, but i swear that rope was far more dangerous.
>>
File: 2520980-turtle1588.jpg (133 KB, 960x734) Image search: [Google]
2520980-turtle1588.jpg
133 KB, 960x734
>>78503977
Thanks I didn't know that. Too bad he was lazy cause I really love his art.
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.