[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>What I like about Carol is that she pulls off the Maverick
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 6
File: Captain Marlel.jpg (298 KB, 791x1200) Image search: [Google]
Captain Marlel.jpg
298 KB, 791x1200
>What I like about Carol is that she pulls off the Maverick archetype without being two-dimensional about it. She's what Hal Jordan would be if Hal were a good character. She's got Tony Stark's swagger and over-abundance of confidence, Steve Roger's discipline and military training, and raw power enough to rival Thor (unless Aaron is writing him it seems). And despite all that, she's still very much her own character, with her own flavors of compassionate and flippant and humorous. If I had to sum Carol up in one word, it'd be "liberation" and that's a beautiful thing.
Is he right?
>>
>>78493137
>Mary Sue
I prefer Carol being tough and bitchy but super insecure.
>>
>>78493137
>She's what Hal Jordan would be if Hal were a good character
Surprised he didn't compare her with John Stewart, knowing dude's Johnfag and hates Hal.
>>
>>78493137
Not even close.
>>
No, and this the thing I fucking hate as Carol as Captain Marvel. She's basically this weird fantasy version of Carol as Ms. Marvel where she's the most popular hero in the world, and everyone loves her and she has zero flaws. That was her status quo in House of M, and that's what it is now. But unlike House of M, Carol hasn't woken up to the fact that everyone use to sort of hate her and that she was a recovering alcoholic, while also enjoying fighting and killing a little too much more than anyone should.
>>
>>78493343
>has zero flaws
It's amazing what happens when you get mindwiped. All your faults are gone!
>>
>>78493189
If they're a Johnfag why would they say Carol is better than John?
>>
>>78493361
That makes it even fucking worse. It would be one thing if Carol had, god forbid, a character arc that worked her up to becoming like the OP statement, but instead, she almost literally became a blank slate for others to project onto.
>>
>>78493137
You already know that the entire thread is going to be us all agreeing that he's wrong.
>>
>>78493137
Is she really that strong? I always thought she was a little below She-Hulk in terms of strength, unless she's juiced on energy or something.
>>
File: 1434068845094.png (425 KB, 620x598) Image search: [Google]
1434068845094.png
425 KB, 620x598
>>78493137
>she's got all the good aspects of the main heroes. she's got a fan base of people who love her and she's super confident and cool

Sounds like a summary of a fanfic doughnut steel
>>
>>78493387
He could make some compliment "just like John Stewart" or something.
>>78493390
How it went, KSD starts writing her, Carol's memory is wiped and she's perfect blonde gal forever and ever?
>>
>>78493449
I think when she goes Binary she can be pretty over-powered, but base strength Carol is pretty mid-tier.
>>
>>78493390
There was even a retcon where Carol went back in time to the moment where she got her powers and instead of Mar-Vell saving her current time Carol saves past time Carol.

It like a three issue story just so they could wipe away that a man saving her was part of her origin story
>>
>>78493508
>It like a three issue story just so they could wipe away that a man saving her was part of her origin story
Liberation, and that's a beautiful thing!
>>
File: CaptainMarvel_6_TheGroup_007.jpg (734 KB, 988x1495) Image search: [Google]
CaptainMarvel_6_TheGroup_007.jpg
734 KB, 988x1495
>>78493508
While injecting some female character who didn't even exist before to inspire Carol further.
>>
>>78493508
Wait what>>78493549
>>
>>78493137
>If I had to sum Carol up in one word, it'd be "liberation"
What does that even mean?
>>
>>78493712
That if he had to sum Carol up in one word, it'd be "liberation".
>>
>>78493729
What does he mean by liberation?
>>
>>78493766
>lib·er·a·tion
>libəˈrāSH(ə)n/
>noun
>the act of setting someone free from imprisonment, slavery, or oppression; release.
>"the liberation of all political prisoners"
>freedom from limits on thought or behavior.
>"the struggle for women's liberation"
>>
>>78493608
It's from the KSD run, Carol goes time traveling meets a pilot hero of hers, and goes back to the moment she got her powers.

She was a supporting character for the classic Captain Marvel, one of his villains kidnapped her, an explosion happens, Mar-Vell protects her, because comics she gets some of his genes and becomes half-Kree

The time travel story put in a retcon where Carol was the one that protected herself, meaning she now gave herself her powers
>>
>>78493834
RIP marvell family
>>
>>78493137
She literally has no character.
People are only propping her up because she's getting a movie and they want to seem 'with it' before 'it' arrives.
>>
>>78493800
And that means what, exactly, within the context of Carol and her role in the MU?
>>
>>78493897
I dunno, ask the guy who posted it.
>>
>>78493897
Stronk, independent womyn.
>>
Fuck man, all I want is a well-written and well-characterized Carol doing cool space shit while also keeping somewhat close to Earth to keep it grounded and relatable. Is that so much to ask?

The relaunch in January has potential since KSD has finally been pried away from the book, but the writing needs to be on point.
>>
File: Spidey-Marvel.jpg (323 KB, 500x478) Image search: [Google]
Spidey-Marvel.jpg
323 KB, 500x478
>>78494036
And while I'm on the topic of things that will not happen, quit being bitches and have her get with Peter already.
>>
>>78494036
Watch it be great, and get canceled by issue 5.
>>
>>78494111
I'm interested to see if the Carol Corps stay, or if they'll just all leave and throw their attention at Bitch Planet
>>
>>78494111
It's selling well digitally.
As every book with low sales Marvel wants to push.
>>
>>78494036
It could be the greatest thing ever but I will still hate it why is Alpha Flight a CANANDIAN team listening to a Yankee
>>
>>78494153
They're KSD's followers, they'll fuck off.
>>
>>78494111
A likely possibility. It's looking like it's got:
>Cool space shit
>Carol being in charge of SWORD so grounded near Earth
>decent writers

But then now that KSD is out, Marvel is going to have to make the tough realization that the "Carol Corps" still aren't actually buying comics, and will likely just follow her to whatever her new project is like the ducklings that they are.
>>
>>78493834
KSD does what too many superhero writers do these days: they're too busy fixing shit they don't like from the past instead of working to push what they have forward.
>>
>>78494170
Because Alpha Flight went to shit after Byrne left
>>
>>78493137
>Is he right?
Who?
>>
>>78494109
Apparently Slott is the reason that didn't happen.
I think it would be hilarious how the dynamic would work if they actually started dating. Peter's borderline Messiah Complex means he almost always tries to protect the people in his life, how would that work if he's dating someone who is, in almost every category worth mentioning, more powerful than him.
>>
>>78494262
The guy who posted that obv
>>
My guilty ship: Cyclops and Carol.
>>
File: thwip.png (979 KB, 1280x1185) Image search: [Google]
thwip.png
979 KB, 1280x1185
>>78494109
Amen, brother.

>>78494231
The last Capt. Marvel run was just a monument to her incompetence. It could have been a cool long-term storyline about Carol's tour of duty in deep space, but she practically ended up having Carol be a guest star in her own fucking book.
>>
>>78494271
Yes, but is that someone I should know? I did my googlefu, and only came up with it being posted by a user on the CBR forums, and why the fuck would the opinion of one user be worth discussing, unless that user happened to be someone whose opinion matters?
>>
>>78494264
It would make for some good teamwork.
>>
>>78494313
No one's opinion matters.
>>
>>78494264
Yeah, he thought peter having a superpowerful gf would make him un-relatable.

Enter Silk, the superpowerful Spider-person who is literally better than Peter at almost everything.
>>
>>78494313
It's minor Carol mene
>>
>>78494361
Writers opinions matter. Editors opinions matter. They are the oes who determine how the character will be portrayed. If this was the opinion of a writer who was going to take over the book, it'd be worth discussing, because we could infer how that'd impact the character's portrayal in the book moving forward. But this? This thread may as well be about a random post taken off of /co/ and used as the thesis that anons are tasked with debating, IE what already happens once discussions get started by something actually worth using to start a thread. OP may as well have taken an original response in a thread and started a new thread with it. Is it really that slow a Monday?
>>
File: fuckyeahparkerdanvers.png (248 KB, 500x357) Image search: [Google]
fuckyeahparkerdanvers.png
248 KB, 500x357
>>78494314
It did, for the handful of issues that they worked together in
>>
>>78493137
The only true statement here is that Carol isn't a two-dimensional character.
>>
>>78494426
You forgot the part where he then made him a CEO of a major international company.
>>
>>78493137
That's what Carol should be the problem is that's never what we get.
>>
>>78494513
You're pretty autistic.
>>
>>78493137
Looking a bit like Squirrel Girl there, Carol.
>>
>>78494111
Well I don't want it to be mediocre, so hopefully that won't happen.
Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.