[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So can we agree that Hirsch dropped the ball on Gravity Falls???
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 88
Thread images: 10
File: HackAlert.png (434 KB, 592x421) Image search: [Google]
HackAlert.png
434 KB, 592x421
So can we agree that Hirsch dropped the ball on Gravity Falls???

It is such a great idea, and it could have been used as a conduit for imagination, and all sorts of paranormal shenanigans, along with a great team of mystery solvers.

Instead, we got a slice of life sitcom that happened to take place in a paranormal town. And truth be told, it was a good show, because the mystery and the humor kept it good. Yet, Alex got rid of the good mysteries and replaced them with shit ones, made Dipper and Mabel into caricatures of themselves, and lost most of the good humor. It's a shame.
>>
Thing that bothers me is how Bill was a spooky character, but Hirsch ruined him with the dumb meme villain shit.
>>
>>78490022
I'll agree that the sparing moments where Bill is really menacing and disturbing don't really jive with the rest of his character.
>>
It was always supposed to be The Simpsons with a slight mystery element, if you took the show too seriously that's pretty much your own problem.
>>
he got too meta and pissy cuz people called the two stan's twist ahead of time so he used soos to mock all of his fans with shit like "if this doesn't line up exactly with my fanfiction im gonna be angry! "
>>
the fuck are you talking about, making the show into some scooby doo marvin mystery solverz thing would be the absolute worst.
>>
>>78490091
Not a scooby doo marvin mystery solverz thing, where they solve mystery in a format.

Instead of that, more paranormal mysteries that are in the forest, which were the best part of the show. Imagine more episodes like "Into the Bunker".
>>78490056
I'm talking about what it could have been. And I actually liked the beginning of the show, I just think it went south. he could have taken the show in any direction he wanted, if it didn't start going not funny.
>>
>>78490068
This bothered me. What's with the billions of meta jokes? To most they aren't funny now, and it will defiantly not be funny to the people of the future.
>>
>>78490022
he wasn't spooky.

autists have strong emotions for cartoons for some reason.

Like somethin is meant to be scare inside the cartoon, then autistic fans say something like ''it was really fucking terrifying!!!''
>>
>>78490053
I wouldn't mind it if he was jovial sometimes but was easily sent into insanity, but I tvink Hirsch over did his jokeyness. He has a "crew"? Pretty dumb.
>>
>>78490171
Are you sure you're not the autist here? I never said he was terrifying, but he does have a spooky flair about him, no?
>>
I remember Alex saying he wished he involved more mystery adventures. Then again I also remember back in earlier days we weren't even sure if it was going to be cancelled or not so I guess the series just got rushed.
>>
>>78490190

Not to anyone older than 7. You're a bigger pussy than the one godzilla crawled out of if you're genuinely scared by him.
>>
>>78490236
>but he does have a spooky flair about him, no?

Where do I say that he scares me? Life must suck for an illiterate retard.
>>
>>78490217
>the series just got rushed
Absolutely.
There should have been three seasons, so they could develop Ford a bit more and actually make him likable, as well as recover from the relationship business that plagued season 1. I'm glad he has the balls to admit about the mystery adventures though, I do remember him saying that he wishes he had less Wendip episodes.
>>
>>78490271

Life's been pretty well, I don't know how to read, but atleast I never grew up into a vagina so moist I find Gravity Falls shit anything more than funny.

If you're here for menacing villains, plot and mysteries your cultural intake is poor.
>>
Mable ruined the show.
>>
>>78490340
Yeah. I used to like her actually, but it was obvious development was needed. After Love God I thought we would see some less romantic shit with her and see her become useful and cool, but instead she just kept on being annoying.

It wouldn't actually be that bad, but it bothers me that Alex "The Hack" Hirsch has waifued her and tries to convince us that she is in the right.
>>
>>78490312
Gravity Falls is mainly a humor show, brother.
I was just saying it felt like Bill could have been something more, and taken the show in an interesting turn. There is nothing really that good about him comedic ally, so he is kind of useless.
>>
>>78490091
I just wanted Eerie Indiana, not Regular Show.
How hard could that be? Just add more creepy side characters, base more events on real conspiracy stories and urban legends, and have side characters die from time to time.
>>
>>78490554
Indeed, better side characters. All of the side characters (except Pacifica and Gideon) exist solely to be jokes, and it gets old.
>>
>>78490375
It's kind of unfathomable that fucking Old Man McGucket has had more character development than Mabel
>>
>>78490312
You think Gravity Falls is funny, there is nothing to discuss here.
>>
Anyone have derogatory Alex pictures? Like the one where they trash the mystery shack.
>>
File: 1442954391668.jpg (575 KB, 1280x1820) Image search: [Google]
1442954391668.jpg
575 KB, 1280x1820
>>78489991
Wha atre you even talking about.

It's The Simpsons + X-Files + Twin Peaks.

>caricatures
You can't just throw this thing around and act like it's good criticism. Provide an in depth explanation.

>shit mysteries
It's the same as when the series started.

>lost most of the good humor
Three jokes don't equate to most.
>>
>>78490068
>>78490154
>billions of meta jokes
I guess anon can't count.
>>
>>78490627
Pacifica has more going on than Mable.
>>
>>78489991
>So can we agree
No fuck off, I hate it when people start threads like this
>>
>>78490836
Literally billions :^)
>>
The last minute turn on Gravity Falls should be a signal to its former fans that it's time for them to just start watching cable and network TV supernatural dramas, since that's what they really wanted. Alternatively: what the fuck did you expect from the Fish Hooks guy?
>>
File: rules.png (33 KB, 854x236) Image search: [Google]
rules.png
33 KB, 854x236
>>78490791
>Provide an in depth explanation
I'm not good at those but I will try my best.
In the picture, it shows Alex talking about some rules that he has for writing Dipper and Mabel, and I like them because it makes them seem real. However it seems as time has drifted on, he has forgotton those rules.

He claims that Mabel is not stupid, and she cares about people (just a silly girl, a ham), yet she has been shown time and time again not to care about people. As time goes on it seems she becomes dumber and dumber and really dialing up the sillyness. I'm sorry, I cannot provide specific examples, though I'm sure if I went back and watched I would find more.

It's just a general change in how he writes the characters, and that translates into less funny comedy. In DD&MD when Mabel and Stan just start quacking for 10 seconds, it seems very out of character and weird, you know? I'm sorry, like I said I am bad at explaining.

>It's the same as wehn the series started.
I strongly disagree here. We had the secret of "what is Stan doing in the basement at night when he claims to be ignorant", which was interesting. We wondered about the Journals, about the triangle man, and why gravity falls was so weird. Now those mysteries are solved, and in it's place is some weird "dimensional rift" sci-fi thing.
>>
>>78490927
>the last minute turn on
It was turned on because it became less funny. People tolerated the waste of a premise because he was able to successfully execute his mystery/sitcom, but when it started to falter, people got upset. Not hard to understand.
>>
It's true, the show declined greatly. I blame this on a few things. It went on for far too long, there was too much hype surrounding the endgame mystery which didn't live up to its expectations and they really dropped the ball on Mabel. The best episodes were those that dealt with mostly random mysteries.
>>
>>78491061
I don't like tripfags, but that is very reasonable. I don't think it went on too long though, I think it needed another season or two to save it..
>>
>>78491082
The original plan was for three seasons, but I guess at some point Alex decided to compress the original plans for Seasons Two and Three into one (the Season Two that we got).

I hope more information comes out in the future about what we could have gotten instead.
>>
>>78491167
I think he just got bored of the show, at least that's what I've heard.
>>
>>78491344
That wouldn't surprise me, but I've personally come to assume that it has to do with the stress of working under Disney.
>>
Season 2 feels rushed
>>
>>78490886
sorry bud.
>>
File: 1422671931372.jpg (111 KB, 800x500) Image search: [Google]
1422671931372.jpg
111 KB, 800x500
>>78489991

Yes.

Season 2B is where it dropped, hard.

Weirdmagedden has been awful and I can't tell if it's because of a lack of room for Season 3 or because of a missing writer.

I'll always have most of the series to enjoy, but still, to get to the end and have it feel like ti fell on its' face hard is bad. Especially since the giant build-up mystery(Who is the Author?) Got revealed-and then there was no other huge mystery to fill in the gap. Ford could have been written better. Mabel in 2B has had series issues in her writing. And Bill with his Yo Gabba Gabba rejects destroyed any sort of semblance of being a villain Bill had earlier in the show.
>>
>>78491611
Probably a missing writer, since Matt a Chapman left before Weirdmageddon started

Think his last ep was the DnD one
>>
>>78491611
>Yo Gabba Gabba rejects
kek
>>
>>78490091
>implying Mystery Inc was bad
>>
>>78490554
>Have side characters die
>On a Disney XD show
Bruh...
>>
The problem came when Alex learned that he had to make an ending. A lot of writers will agree the ending is the worse thing to write, it will make or break. Alex kept pushing for new things, and never set up for an ending.

He had to of expected an hour n' half movie or another season. Now he has to remove a few episodes from his plan and make an ending. It's of course going to be rushed when what ever plan in his head is ruined.
>>
>>78490154
...I really liked the Ducktective joke.
>>
>>78491814
To each their own..
Did it actually make you laugh though?? Or was it just a smile.
>>
>>78491831
It was the best part of the episode.
>>
I knew something was off when they did that horribly out of place Navi "hey look listen" joke.
>>
>>78490982
Alex is a HACK.
>>
>>78491857
To be fair it was a pretty shitty episode.
The best part was when Grenda and Stan knock out the ogre and make a pact to tell no one.
>>78491883
Yeah, it was as if from that point on it stopped being written by the GF team and instead of written by people who watched GF before and thought they knew how to do it.
>>
>>78491902
truth baby
>>
>>78491883
Episode?
>>
>>78492181
Should be Dungeons Dungeons and More Dungeons, the very episode in which the DOWNFALL TOOK PLACE
>>
>>78491611
Honestly, I think the only part of Weirdmageddon that annoyed me was finding out Bill's chaos was confined to the town which really diminishes the threat of the Oddpocalypse.
>>
File: nevada-tan.jpg (12 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
nevada-tan.jpg
12 KB, 480x360
If Hirsch hadn't wasted so much time on Dipper's hardon for Wendy which ultimately resulted in absolutely nothing gained he would have had more time to establish characters like Bill and Pacifica who could have contributed to the mystery aspects of the show
>>
File: 1345357656333.gif (2 MB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
1345357656333.gif
2 MB, 320x240
That's what you faggots get for not dropping the show when pic related happened like the rest of /co/.
>>
>>78492398
Pacifica's episode was one of the best, he's a fool for not pursuing it.
>>78492548
I think the coolness of pre season 2b outweights the disappointment I have now. Plus if we had quit there, we would never know if she'd have character development :)
>>
>>78489991
Eh. Season one was pretty good and season 2 was way better, not counting a few later episodes. The fact that you wanted X-files or whatever is your problem, not the show's.
>>
>>78493779
season 2b was shitty.
>>
>>78491611
>Yo Gabba Gabba

This asshole again. Weird 1 was great and if you didn't like it you have shit taste
>>
>>78493833
>Implying only one guy is responsible by Yo Gabba Gabba posting
>>
>>78493829
Two stans, mabelcorn, future, and weirdmaheddon one were excellent. That's half of 2b. You can't just say "2b" was shitty like the great episodes aren't there. It's practically a meme at this point. It's just what people say when they're mad the show is ending
>>
>>78493915
>implying anyone doing the yo Gabba posting isn't an idiot
>>
>>78493955
It's just the shitposting way to say Bill's henchmaniacs look terrible, there's no reason to be so buttblased about it.
>>
>>78493921
future was meh
two stans was good as far as recaps/expositions go, but not good on it's own.
mabelcorn was one of the best of season 2b, but it was still not good.
weirdmuhgeddon one was alright.

I will not deny there are one or two good episodes in season 2b, but there isn't a single great episode in there.

I am upset the show is ending, because it got shitty at the end and I want hirsch to redeem himself and wrap it up correctly. fortunately that seems as if it will not be happening.
>>
File: FiresidegirlMabel.png (59 KB, 320x448) Image search: [Google]
FiresidegirlMabel.png
59 KB, 320x448
>>
>>78490056
>"it's a kid's show it doesn't have to be good"
>>
File: giphy[1].gif (480 KB, 493x342) Image search: [Google]
giphy[1].gif
480 KB, 493x342
>>78491611
>>
It seems like there was some shift in the writing after the first half of season 1 and I can't put my finger on it. But it's like a faction of the writing staff got more and more say and then disappeared at the worst possible moment.
Does anyone know what happened there?
>>
>>78494114
>It is great. But I'm butthurt because it isn't the show I thought it will be.
>>
>>78494300
was great up until season 2b bud
>>
>>78494223
??? Nobody thinks that the second half of season one is weaker than the first. Even the retards agree on that.
>>
>>78494328
S2b>S1
>>
I think the show did fine
Ideally it would have been just mystery solving with gags with loose-ish continuity and only always hinting at something bigger until it finally would have been cancelled
But really it's fine as it is and they are doing proper ending to it
I never cared for the character 'development' bullshit but they incorporated it to the show well enough so it didn't really bother me
>>
>>78494362
I didn't say there was a decline. I said there was a shift. The first half of season one is much more story heavy while the second half is more gag-oriented. Both were balanced they just have different focus. Season 2a takes more after the second half of Season 1 than it does the first half. Season 2b tries to emulate that formula but comes up short.

It feels like someone came in a bit late and had a good thing going on the staff and then left abruptly.
>>
>>78494389
S2A>S1A>S2B>S1B
>>
File: image.jpg (79 KB, 576x583) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
79 KB, 576x583
>>78489991
Of course he dropped the ball! He made a Shitty perfect Mary Sue like Mabel a the lead. Hell, making any female character competent or capable is unrealistic. I'm surprised JJAbrams didn't make this show. It's like Max Landis says, Women belong in the kitchen making sandwiches and not the battlefield.
>>
>>78497207
>Mabel
>competent
Your entire post goes to shit when she's the complete opposite of this and damages the show as a result.
>>
I still like it.

It makes me laugh, I'm still entertained.

I don't really get why so many people are hating it now.
>>
>>78497699
I'm not hating it, but I'm liking it less, because it's not making me laugh. The plot stuff is whatever, it could be better I personally think, but my main issue is that the jokes have gotten less funny.

I'm happy you're still enjoying it though, and don't doubt that I wont be sitting in that /gfg/ thread with you to watch the finale of a great show.
>>
>>78497394
But she doesn't get punished for it. It's always Dipper who has to apologize. And whenever she's off screen, every character is always asking "Where's Mabel! We need Mabel! I can't do this without Mabel!". And she always shows unbelievable skills like beating up unicorns and knows how to use a grappling hook despite being 12
She's a Mary Sue
*mic drop*
>>
>>78497699
The most recent episode left a sour taste in a lot of people combined with the series ending so abruptly
>>
>>78497907
that wasn't cool enough for a mic drop faggot, but you make a few good points.
>>
>>78491611
Bill does have shitty minions. They're like the shitty minions you come up with when you're trying to come up with shitty minions.
>>
>>78489991
Wasn't there a secret encryptic clue that Soos knows more than he lets on or don't trust him? Did anything happen with that?
>>
>>78499575
The hack doesn't care about mysteries
>>
File: 1346048383157.jpg (104 KB, 800x1101) Image search: [Google]
1346048383157.jpg
104 KB, 800x1101
While I think GF doesn't have any particularly bad episodes, the fact that the most interesting facets of it, the overarching plot points, are very few and far between is kind of bothersome.

SU is very similar in that regard, except SU's episodic episodes are annoying instead of fun. At least GF manages that.
Thread replies: 88
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.