[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I just started reading comics today and I found that I really
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 4
File: 197odkmqayrrijpg.jpg (116 KB, 640x365) Image search: [Google]
197odkmqayrrijpg.jpg
116 KB, 640x365
I just started reading comics today and I found that I really like Letter 44. I love Science Fiction and I would love to find additional comics that are pretty much purely science-fiction. I hate Comics with superheroes and shit, I'm looking for good space or futuristic sci-fi. Any suggestions?
>>
Metabarons and The Incal
>>
File: Prophet_45-1_263_405.png (241 KB, 263x405) Image search: [Google]
Prophet_45-1_263_405.png
241 KB, 263x405
>>78482809

Prophet is pretty good
>>
File: 1404368675340.jpg (340 KB, 1440x810) Image search: [Google]
1404368675340.jpg
340 KB, 1440x810
we have a new board threads like this you should go there next time
>>
I'm personally a big fan of:

2001 Nights
The Aedena Cycle (begins with Upon a Star)
Aldebaran
The Ballad of Halo Jones
Concrete
Hi no Tori
The Incal and The Metabarons
Martian Geography
Moonshadow
Prophet (the 2012 relaunch)
Twilight (nineties miniseries)
Valerian & Laureline

Note: Prophet is not a superhero comic, but it technically takes place in a superhero universe. Specifically, it takes place 10,000 years after all superheroes died or retired. So it doesn't have any superheroics, but occasionally immortal characters will get together and be nostalgic about stuff from 10,000 years earlier.
>>
>>78482809
Also why the Fuck are comics so damn expensive? I feel like for the entertainment value comics are pure shit. I could spend $10 on a digital volume or I could download a book for the same price. The book will provide me 7-8 hours of entertainment while the comic last like 1 hour at the most. What's up with that?
>>
>>78482878
Where's that?
>>
>>78482809
Valiant had some really good stuff.
>>
>>78482899
Thanks for the suggestions!! Way better than my buddies that are into comics. They couldn't think of any sci-fi comics. One guy works at a comic shop and had a tough time coming up with some.
>>
>>78482937
You either barely looked at the list or haven't read many of those comics
>>
>>78482990
Seriously?
>>
>>78482809
Transmetropolitan and the new Prez both have some interesting scifi notions about how society will evolve
>>
>>78482964
If you happen to also be into sword and sorcery, there's one, Thorgal, which occasionally has very heavy science fiction elements mixed in with the more Conan-style fantasy stuff. The stories, while historically off, are well done, and the art is gorgeous.
>>
Fear Agent
Black Science
East of West maybe?
>>
>>78482901
Start looking at price-per-page when buying.

Check this out: 16 dollars for 424 pages.
http://www.amazon.com/King-City-Brandon-Graham/dp/160706510X

It's hard to describe, it's a mesh of scifi and fantasy in a pseudo-realistic world not unlike a dream, and I love it.
>>
>>78483075
Black science looks really cool. Is it like Dr Who sort of?
>>
>>78483064
Yeah that looks cool. I don't get the superhero thing but I feel like comics could be a really great medium to explore some really interesting concepts.
>>
The Universal War series.
>>
>>78483187
Yeah. I personally like capeshit, but it's massively oversaturated. Some really great stuff buried in a huge pile of shit.
A lot of science fiction comics are generally from Europe, and then usually from France or Belgium. Look there and you'll find a goldmine.

Oh, and one more thing. This is skirting the edge, but 2000 AD, while famously starring the closest thing in that universe to a superhero, Judge Dredd, has quite a few good stories about dystopia in and of itself. Dredd's always been about subverting superhero tropes and sarcastically "glorifying" a fascist government. Loads of people assume he's a good guy at first glance. He's really not.
>>
>>78483372
Dredd would be the kind of thing I'd be into. I just hate the superpower bullying. Flying around with caps and shit makes it seem juvenile to me and it's unrealistic as shit.
>>
>>78483469
There is at least one prog that pits Dredd against a parody of a more traditional looking superhero. I'd go so far as say that the comic is specifically designed to be an alternative to capeshit.
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.