[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
> The comics version, either the daughter or niece of Commissioner
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 2
File: batgirl-new-52-1.jpg (750 KB, 1280x1953) Image search: [Google]
batgirl-new-52-1.jpg
750 KB, 1280x1953
> The comics version, either the daughter or niece of Commissioner Gordon depending on who was writing her,

How can you guys enjoy comics when they have such little consistency in them?
Joker has died billions of times, Wolverine is in the same boat too !

In my own opinion, there's almost no motive to read the story, if at the end of the day it just means nothing
>>
Editors are too afraid to do their job.
>>
>>78482268
>there's almost no motive to read the story, if at the end of the day it just means nothing
well shit, why read any fiction in that case?
>>
>>78482268
It's just a story bro at the end of the day it means nothing either way.
>>
File: heres looking at you.jpg (31 KB, 800x500) Image search: [Google]
heres looking at you.jpg
31 KB, 800x500
>>78482324
>well shit, why read any fiction in that case?

Most fiction has definitive endings though
>>
itd be be better off if characters were killed often frankly

if you're going to reboot every few years, why not have meaningful storylines in that time?
>>
>>78482363
And it still means nothing.
>>
>>78482375

True, and unless you want to get metaphysical and philosophical, this is why fiction that doesn't consistently revert to a status quo can be enjoyable... as a hobby, and never at the expense of a real life and experiences. Never go full neckbeard.
>>
>>78482324
>>78482329
You guys seem to be taking my use of "meaning" a little literally. Perhaps what I should have said is all of these stories being thrown at the wall but nothing really sticks.

In a nutshell I suppose, there's no canon. It almost seems as though I've just been reading fanfictions. I wouldn't mind if it if there was at least an acknowledged main story line, but more or less it's scattered, and these great stories or epic battles show little materialization in the "canon" universe.

I'm not knocking comics, I just wish they'd be a bit more brave.
>>
>>78482268
She's his daughter and niece.
>>
>>78482422
Except there is a canon, it just changes over time. She's his daughter, and event happens that changes the universe making her his niece for a few decades, and when another event changes the universe she becomes his daughter again. This isn't even an example of things changing just because like whenever a movie is remade or something, this has an in-universe occurrence that connects the two canons.
>>
That's one of the things I hate about western comics is how there are so many different writers and side scenarios. Worse yet, it only takes one hack to completely shit on the legacy of a good character.
>>
>>78482375

that's not really an argument or an excuse.

Things like Casablanca, Tale of Two Cities the sixth sense and so forth all have finite endings that leave lasting impressions and the stories have ideas and meaning behind them.

All mainstream comics theses days do is push a brand instead of creativity. You can't just say fiction is pointless like it defuses the issue because it doesn't change what the issue is. People are either two lazy to properly create or two invested too let go.

If it doesn't matter so much either why not move on and write something new
>>
I'll admit to having mixed feelings about it. Part of me doesn't the point in paying for a story that will never end, and it's hard to get invested in characters and stories when death is cheap and lasting character development is nonexistent.

But other times it is fun to live in the moment and enjoy individual runs for what they are; for refreshing takes on the characters and their universes. It also means I have the hope of a series I may hate suddenly becoming good which is something a lot of other mediums can't claim as easily.

Also this isn't even a "mainstream comics" thing. Hell, Invincible is mainstream as fuck and even it still manages to not retcon stuff every six months.
>>
>>78482541
>All mainstream comics theses days do is push a brand instead of creativity

There are lots that do that but there are others that tell cohesive stories with solid endpoints.
Obviously ASM will not have a real end and will go forever. That doesn't mean that Lee, Ditko, Conway, JMS etc... didn't write complete stories in their runs. Tom King's vision will be a complete story. Morrison's Batepic is a complete story. You have to take a more narrow focus than a 30 year long periodical to find complete stories
>>
>>78482422
>>78482268
I get what you're saying but I don't agree. Most people see the revolving door of death in comics as a negative thing (and honestly it might be) but the fact is dying and returning from death are part of these universes cannon. Yes it should be bad or sloppy writing, but it's also the next event in the story. In these realities coming back from death is something just as real as avoiding death. At least that's how I no-prize it, I just wish more writers would see resurrection that instead of a joke.

But finding out you're dad's you are ankle and then your dad again maybe convoluted but think of it like this, you know something to be factual until something comes along to prove otherwise, it happens all the time in our lives only more often and a little bit more over the top in the comic universe.

The fact of the matter is if you want to read comics you will, you always find a way to continue reading if you really want to keep reading. If you don't want to read comics then you won't, end of story. Reading ALWAYS involves suspension of disbelief it's up to you to decide how long you'll be dicked around with
>>
>>78482268
I'm not autistic.
>>
>>78482709

They did and there was actual progression for the character but that all got tossed out the window as soon as Joey Q decided he didnt want to feel old so for over a decade now we've just been retreading crap
>>
>>78482521
>Except there is a canon, it just changes over time
Okay, right, right...

>changes the universe making her his nie
No ! Unless it's made a clear point that something within the story itself has altered the universe.

An alternate version of yourself in another universe is not going to have the same experiences as you are, it's almost a completely different person. So it's almost insanity to keep hopping back and forth creating no actual Universe for these characters to develop in.

I'd like to know the story of Batgirl, not Barbara Gordan traveler of the multiverse and juggler of dimensions. All of these "what ifs" are something I would enjoy in a fanfiction.

But as of now, any "what ifs" are "might as well be's"
>>
>>78482734
ASM did have pretty good growth by comic standards but there was still a bunch of retcon bullshit pre-OMD
>>
>>78482723

well the thing about death is they would have to revive people a lot less if they stopped killing them in the first place for cheap drama
>>
>>78482796
>Unless it's made a clear point that something within the story itself has altered the universe.
What do you think the Crisises are? Did you already forget about Flashpoint?
>>
>>78482723
> you know something to be factual until something comes along to prove otherwise
I could maybe get away with doing this, but to me it seems like more of a "sweep under the rug" method. But if nothing at all is solidified, such as Barbara walking again in the New 52, but only late to still be oracle. Where is the actual story?

The resurrection of death is fine by me ! In fact it's always a buzz for me to see two characters go at it one last time in a second round to the death.

--But it's almost mind numbing to see such a big event happen so frequently. It dilutes the great story of the two, and beats the horse to ashes.
>>
>>78482422
>>78482527
>read only mainstream comics
>only two publishers
>only one genre
>"This is what the whole medium is like, right?"
Lol.
>>
>>78483233
There's about 15 posters here
>>
>>78482268
>How can you guys enjoy comics when they have such little consistency in them?

For one thing, I' not autistic. And the main thing I want from comics is a good, entertaining story. Consistency is nice, but it's a bit dumb to expect perfect consistency from 75+ years worth of published material where the age demographic has switched from 9 year olds to college students to middle aged men.

>In my own opinion, there's almost no motive to read the story, if at the end of the day it just means nothing

Then go read a real fucking book if that's all you care about, I'll be over here being comfy and reading reprints of 60+ year old, disposable pulp thrills and penny dreadful capehist and enjoying it for what it is.
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.