[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Iron Man Discussion
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 5
>Iron Man has a bunch of different issues as a comics character, including the fact that he was created as an anti-Communist character so most of his villains are Cold War relics. (This was already a problem within a few years of his creation, because the Vietnam war became so unpopular that the Commie-fighting aspect of his character had to be played way down.)

>The main thing is, I think, that Iron Man doesn't have any personality. Tony Stark has a personality, if not always a likable one. But Iron Man is just a suit. It could be anyone in there - there doesn't even have to be a person in there. That makes him pretty good when it comes to merchandising or video games, but not so good in comics, where you want the hero to have a personality.

>That's why, when we think of movie Iron Man, we think of Downey, who doesn't even have to appear in most of the action scenes. They keep cutting to Downey inside the suit because he's interesting.

>But I think the comics have just never figured out what Tony's persona is when he's in that suit. Spider-Man is the iconic costumed Marvel hero because he has a very specific persona when he's in his costume, which is actually different from what he's like when he's out of costume.

Do you agree? Is a hero persona what Iron Man is missing?
>>
No one cares, just post more pics of the hot asians who like iron man
>>
>>78473489
Not your blog man.
>>
File: 207575_1970339256338_1452117_n.jpg (59 KB, 432x650) Image search: [Google]
207575_1970339256338_1452117_n.jpg
59 KB, 432x650
>>78473835
????

>>78473866
Just trying to discuss comics on a comics board by using fapbait to jumpstart discussion.
>>
File: TOS56_vsUnicorn.jpg (67 KB, 354x297) Image search: [Google]
TOS56_vsUnicorn.jpg
67 KB, 354x297
>>78473489

Iron Man doesn't have an identity, in the classic comics he's just blandly heroic.

>>78473912
>Just trying to discuss comics on a comics board by using fapbait to jumpstart discussion.

You fool.
>>
>>78473912
I don't know if it's tackier if that's a temporary or real.
That said why the fuck does he need a hero persona if he acts like himself?
>>
>>78473489
I'm not gonna say I'm a fan of Iron Man or anything, but this is not really a problem, is it?

I mean, okay, first point:
>he was created as an anti-Communist character so most of his villains are Cold War relics.
What? Okay yeah, there's the Crimson Dynamo, for starters. But does it matter? How many action movies have russian bad guys? It may be important to the character's origin, but the characters can't be summed up JUST as "Red Scare" villains who only got to them that they're commies.

Then the rest is just... Does Iron Man REALLY need a different personality for the suit? I mean, people know Tony Stark is Iron Man, so what's the point? Maybe casuals just think of Robert Downey Jr. in the suit all the time but really, Tony Stark IS Iron Man and he wants everyone to know it, there is no need for him to use a "hero persona" or anything, because in fact, that would go against his character.
>>
>>78474327
>Tony Stark IS Iron Man and he wants everyone to know it, there is no need for him to use a "hero persona" or anything, because in fact, that would go against his character

Didn't he keep his identity secret in the early years?
>>
>>78474761
>Didn't he keep his identity secret in the early years?
Yes, he did
DID
not anymore, he's over that and going back to it wouldn't be a good idea
>>
File: TOS78_vsUltimo.jpg (216 KB, 497x680) Image search: [Google]
TOS78_vsUltimo.jpg
216 KB, 497x680
>>78474110
>>78474327
>>78474761

The Iron Man comics have never gotten above B-grade because Marvel editorial has little vision for the character.

It would be tone deaf and weird to make jihadi supervillains in this day and age, north korea can't keep their lights on let alone fund a supervillain, Iron Man can't change the world for the common man like (nor anyone really) which limits his story.

He has settled snuggley into a static character with a successful movie franchise. There are worse fates.
>>
File: Invincible-Iron-Man-020-pg-01.jpg (1 MB, 2560x1945) Image search: [Google]
Invincible-Iron-Man-020-pg-01.jpg
1 MB, 2560x1945
>Tony joins Illuminati
>completely fails to prevent the Skrull invasion like they were supposed to
>ends up destroying the Avengers and most of NYC's superhuman status quo
>indirectly responsible for Cap's death
>becomes the most hated person in comics
>loses his memory before he gets a chance to admit his wrongdoings

Why won't this nigga ever get punished? What other character is this free from consequences?
>>
>>78474915
Why'd you respond to me?
>Tacky and tone-deaf
But he might have an interesting villain.
>>
>>78477401
Fucking this. Namor got beheaded and Tony and the rest of them get to go free
>>
>>78473489
>This was already a problem within a few years of his creation, because lefties are treasonous scum who literally can't comprehend that communists are every bit the murderous bastards that fascists are so they constantly make up fantasies about their democratic opponents secretly being nazis in order to live in a world where they're still 100% in the right all the time.
FTFY.
>>
>>78473489
>>78473912
I don't care about this conversation at all, I just need the asian bitch's name
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.