[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
secret identity vs public identity
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 7
File: peter-parker-unmasked.jpg (38 KB, 600x300) Image search: [Google]
peter-parker-unmasked.jpg
38 KB, 600x300
With more and more heroes having public identities as opposed to secret ones which do you prefer and why? And if you prefer secret do you prefer if their close friends and family know or they keep it to their self
>>
Isn't the age-old "If my enemies knew who I was they'd attack me and my family" thing still true? Why are more heroes unmasking themselves?

I prefer secret identity with either best friends or really close family knowing. Bonus points if the character has a child and they know.
>>
>>78452048
>Why are more heroes unmasking themselves?

Gimmick, like any other changes that happen in comics.

Or if they're like Cap or Iron Man or any other Avenger they're basically cops with powers anyway so it hardly matters

It also hardly matters because in Marvel people are retarded and don't recognize super heroes even by their costumes, or know their names. Other super heroes don't even recognize other super heroes a lot of times, "oh, that person in a costume whos always on tv? who are they again? never heard of em"
>>
>>78452048

The majority of characters are better off with a secret, like Spider-Man. Guys like Animal Man don't need it.
>>
>>78452173
I think it's because it combines their regular and hero life. In Marvel's case it seems to be more high profile people like the main Avengers and its played for publicity.
>>
>>78452352
With Peter following in Tony's shoes he'll be public in no time
>>
>>78452048
I'd rather the nice inbetween: mostly a secret identity but allow family/close friends to know. The secret identity thing makes sense otherwise but I hate the cliched relationship drama that arises from people who should otherwise know.
>>
It makes more sense to have a secret identity

What I don't get is why more of villains don't have secret identities
>>
Keeping it from your loved ones is a played out trope.

Whether EVERYONE knows or not doesn't really make much a difference either way.
>>
>>78452671
Now that I think about it do any villains have secret identities now? Besides new ones that show up and adopt old villain's names
>>
>>78452048
Freelancing heroes without organisational/government support should pretty much be impossible these days.

"Hey you know that Peter Parker guy who always takes those pictures?
Track his cellphone, check for abnormal movements or if he turns it off around when Spidey shows up."
>>
My brother and I were having a conversation about this. How in Marvel there are no major heroes with a secret identity anymore. Spiderman is pretty much the last major hero to have one.
>>
>>78452173
Why I love The Flash.
>>
>>78452834
New Nick Fury can't tell that Peter and Spidey are the same person and he's Peter's basically saying "Oh Spider-Man is in the other room I'll go get him, by the way I have to leave for an unrelated reason"
>>
File: 1962590-flashfam.png (1 MB, 768x960) Image search: [Google]
1962590-flashfam.png
1 MB, 768x960
>>78452921
I miss him so much, atleast convergence was fun
>>
>>78453001
Is this Spiderman or Mr's Doubtfire?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7m8_QLnRBFo
>>
>>78453259
Mrs.Doubtfire was the best new hero of the 90s
>>
File: Journey Into Mystery 112-002.jpg (66 KB, 300x345) Image search: [Google]
Journey Into Mystery 112-002.jpg
66 KB, 300x345
I don't know how to feel

All my favorites are basically public but I still don't like how basically everyone in Marvel is openly a superhero and buddy buddies when they fight each reguarly and an Avenger and there was a war ten years ago about not making superheroes register
>>
I liked Wally West's public identity
>>
>>78452173
No one's actually had a super who went public without a proper support system get as fucked over as they should.

The ones that stayed out, I mean, not Pete, who did have his worst nightmare come true and his friends abandon him and fail to protect the two people who he demanded be protected if he went public.

Except maybe Daredevil, who did have a good arc with having to deal with the legal hellhole of public exposure.

I think it depends on the character. The Fantastic Four work as public heroes, characters who the secret creates drama for should keep it under wraps.
>>
>>78453648
How much of Civil War is still canon?
>>
>>78452825
Ever since "if a villain's off camera they're in the Raft" became a thing, not really unless you're brand new. And it doesn't seem to last.

Its been FOREVER since a big "Who is this masked antagonist?!" story.
>>
>>78453833
Well they're going to have another war where they kill each other in a few months to drum up hype for MCU shit so who cares
>>
File: Here's an idea.jpg (49 KB, 206x300) Image search: [Google]
Here's an idea.jpg
49 KB, 206x300
FALSE secret Identity.
Get revealed, but as your alter-alter-ego with no family or connections.
>>
>>78453855
The 'Who is this masked antagonist' story is nowadays more 'What antagonist put on the mask to become this new masked antagonist'
>>
>>78453855
>"if a villain's off camera they're in the Raft"
What?
>>
>>78454055
But now they're literally whos instead of a real reveal
>>
>>78453833
Goliat is still very dead and still very buried in tarp
>>
>>78454101
Or the exact same villain the hero has been fighting for the last 10 years
>>
>>78454080
A bunch of stories in team books have a shitload of b, c, and d-listers just default to being in jail if they're not actively being used in another story. Avengers and Thunderbolts especially.

Which means, since the first thing you do is whip someone's mask off when captured unless its stuck on there or something like Zemo, their identity's known.
>>
>>78454080
if the mysterious mastermind is depicted talking to his goons but isn't actually on-panel, it inevitably came to mean he was an already incarcerated villain coordinating things from behind bars
>>
>>78454187
I guess that leads to the question where can cape comics go from here. Will they have heroes become more integrated with government organizations or find a way to keep secret identities safe
>>
>>78452790
This, I don't care if it makes sense or not, I'm tired of the forced drama baggage that comes with it.
>>
>>78452872
Ms. Marvel AKA Kamala Khan.

And yeah, she is "major" in comics now.
>>
>>78454828
I like Kamala but she's not high profile no matter how much Marvel tires to push her
>>
>>78452048
Public. American Alien has got me liking a small community knowing
>>
>>78452872
Because when you add the realism perspective, it just doesn't make sense. Everyone has cameras, most stores have street cameras, and now the government is slowly adding their own set of cameras.

Throw in shit like GPS and it becomes dumb for any major hero to have a secret ID that the government or an obsessed fan base doesn't know about. And since comics overall are trying to embrace realism as much as possible, we get the current situation.
>>
Would someone like Spidey need a uniform if his identity was public? It's entire purpose was to hide his identity, so why wear it if everyone knows he's Peter Parker?
>>
>>78457276
I'd assume he'd wear it for recognition. Daredevil still wore his
>>
>>78452048
Secret Identity but close friends and family know about it.

If they don't have a secret identity then why even wear a mask? And family really should know about it. It just looks weird if they don't.
>>
Public identity probably sets you up for a lot of lawsuits and possible arrest warrants
>>
File: moon-watching-night-100916-02.jpg (33 KB, 575x431) Image search: [Google]
moon-watching-night-100916-02.jpg
33 KB, 575x431
>>78457636
secret identity. No one will know about it, and if I had psychic powers, I would make myself look hazy and different to everyone that lays eyes on me. To one person I would look like a man in a green suit, to another a man in a red suit, and another a woman in a yellow suit. Other heroes will be kept an arm's length too, encase I or them shall fall to evil.
>>
File: FlashV2#99-14NastyNat.jpg (323 KB, 983x1507) Image search: [Google]
FlashV2#99-14NastyNat.jpg
323 KB, 983x1507
>>78453245
>>
File: FlashV2#99-15NastyNat.jpg (388 KB, 983x1510) Image search: [Google]
FlashV2#99-15NastyNat.jpg
388 KB, 983x1510
>>78458040
>>
>>78458040
>>78458054
Moments like this are few and far apart
>>
>>78457920
Same. More heroes should work like that.
>>
>>78459733
Are there any like that? The Question is the only thing that comes to mind
>>
>>78459930
No, or at least not that I know of. Then I could understand why now hero work like that, because you would not have much of a story to tell. But anon >>78457920 does bring to mind how heroes are too trusting of other heroes regarding their secrets. It would be best to never explain your weaknesses or how your powers work.
>>
>>78460147
I guess their story would go something like OPM. People are aware of the result but no one knows who did it. On the weaknesses I assume there has to be some trust between heroes. I mean if you've saved the world with a guy a few times you're gonna be close
>>
>>78452048
keep secret but with family in the know
>>
How is Image's Secret Identities? I saw a storytime of the first issue, it looked kind of promising but I didn't bother following it from month to month. Have I made a mistake?
>>
>>78463956
I read first issue only and it looked fun.
>>
>>78460476
once you've been around the block a few times, you realize how easy it is to get mind controlled and want at least a couple people able to stop you when your lot gets drawn
>>
>>78464185
You'd think they'd mass produce the tech in Magneto's helmet
Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.