[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So I understand that the Speedforce was invented to make writing
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 3
File: the_flash.jpg (119 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
the_flash.jpg
119 KB, 1024x768
So I understand that the Speedforce was invented to make writing about superspeed easier.

But, really, how hard is it to write about a guy who's power is to move really fast?
>>
>>78439775
Depends on how fast now doesn't it?
>>
Physics.
>>
Not really created to make it easier, but rather to avoid "hurr but his skin should burn off" assholes who think they're being smart by pointing out that superpowers aren't real
>>
It's one thing to write about a guy whose power is to move really fast. It's another to write about a guy whose power is to move really fast for over 70 seventy years.
>>
because it would actually be a shit power in real life and would kill everyone around you never mind people you tried to grab to save them while using superspeed

it would be like trying to save someone from being hit by a car by flying a jet fighter into them

have to do some capeshit magic to make it work
>>
>>78439802
thread/
>>
>>78439836
He would Gwen everybody
>>
>The Flash's superpower is superspeed
No. The Flash is a time manipulator. He manipulates time so that it seems as if he's super fast. You would know that if you weren't casual scum from /tv/.
>>
>>78439862
That's actually Zolomon's power
>>
>>78439862
No, he isn't, you faggot. Stop trying to sound smart.
>>
>>78439862
Actually, that's Hunter Zolomon, but nice b8 m8 regardless.
>>
>But, really, how hard is it to write about a guy who's power is to move really fast?

Really hard.
When you move you are dislocating molecules around you, the faster you move the faster they dislocate. When molecules move fast you get heat, energy. Even if his body structure was proper to endure the G force from the speed he'd melt everything around him, plus create sonic booms, just fucking shit up really.
Also, mass would increase, he'd be too fucking heavy to have any control over our puny human builds, he make gigantic trenches with each step.
As for power, Flash would be the most destructive thing in the world. A punch near lightspeed would generate H Bomb levels of power.

I guess he'd be a great and unstoppable super villain, on that scenario.
>>
>>78439945

So basically

>writers can't into research
>placing limitations are bad
>editors/consultants are useless
>>
>>78439862
No, fuck off casual
>>
>>78439976
Comics in a nutshell
>>
So what even is the speed force.

Is it all the kinetic motion in the entire multiverse in one dimension that speedsters can tap into?

Why didn't the Guardians tap into it and use that instead of emotional based energy users?

The universe would be much safer policed by the Speedforce Corps.
>>
>>78439976
No, they more than likely know all this stuff.

if they actually put the real life limitations on the flash he'd be called "guy that runs pretty fast but slows down a lot to rescue people"

But a guy that can run around the world just to punch a guy is a lot more interesting.
>>
>run superfast
>mind can't keep up
>instantly run into something since you are too fast to react
>die
This guy had realistic super speed, he only did short burst since might run into something.
Unfortunately he ran into hail
>>
>>78440048
The Speed Force is a speedy dimensional force that allows speedsters to bend the laws of physics, pretty much on their whim.

As for the Guardians, they don't want people tapping into a power that doesn't require a "neutral" emotional state. Speedforce Corps members would be subject to the full spectrum of emotions, which the Guardians don't want.

The Guardians basically want to turn everyone into subservient robots. Except Ganthet.
>>
>>78439775
Depends on the powerlevel. Flash tier speed is impossible. Writing about a guy that could run as fast as a car though would be possible.
>>
Supersonic Flash would more than suffice, but fuckers need to keep outdoing the previous writer and creates a circle of retardation, the same that made Superman into a joke.
>>
>>78440048
The speed force probably wouldn't let them tap into it, it's a bitch like that.
>>
>>78439775
Actually read the comics where the speed force was introduced and you'll realize that, even if from some point of view you could say it made it easier to write about superspeed, its true value was the potential as a tool for stories it brought.
While it sounds contradictory, ungrounding Flash's speed made it more grounded. You now knew it ignored physics, but that allowed you to freely imagine all the things he could do with "speed". Flash wouldn't just pull stuff out of his ass, he'd apply his powers.

And even better, he took a while to test out the extent of these technically new powers. So he also got a development arc for them as he re-learned all the cool things he could do and more.
The community of speedsters united by it was also a cool concept that expanded the "Flash Family" and introduced lead-ins for even more stories.

Nowadays you'll just hear "speedforce, bitch, don't have to explain anything".
But back then it had a real purpose. Every now and then writers remember this.
>>
>>78440433
>The Guardians basically want to turn everyone into subservient robots
But at the same time they know they can't do it. See: Manhunters.
>>
>>78439775
>how hard is it to write about a guy who's power is to move really fast?
Considering how many problems can be solved by going fast, very hard.
>>
>>78440889

Not really that many assuming the objects the superspeed interacts with doesn't magically gain superspeed properties of its own like cement and paint suddenly drying.
>>
>>78439775
>So I understand that the Speedforce was invented to make writing about superspeed easier.

I wouldn't say that. More like speedforce allows writers to be much more creative. The limitations of the human body would put some pretty serious restrictions on how Barry could use his powers and how fast he could really go.

Running up a building wouldn't work in real life but it looks boss as hell, so voila! Speedforce.
>>
>>78441021
>the objects the superspeed interacts with doesn't magically gain superspeed properties of its own like cement and paint suddenly drying.

a riveting tale those would be.

HAHAHA Flaaaaaash, you'll never defeat me. I've cleverly surrounded the bomb with a fresh coat of paint. lets see how you handle this!

Curses, my super speed can't dry this paint. And I don't want to get my boots or hands dirty, This is my most demented foe yet.
>>
File: 3180307.jpg (898 KB, 1280x2026) Image search: [Google]
3180307.jpg
898 KB, 1280x2026
>>78441070
>>
>>78441021
>the objects the superspeed interacts with doesn't magically gain superspeed properties of its own like cement and paint suddenly drying.

Another neat "side-effect" of the sort of Speed Force mainline Wally had was that he could actually manipulate speed. He could accelerate or decelerate things down to the subatomic level. That in part explained why Wally was finally able to replicate Barry's "vibrate through objects" trick (that Barry shouldn't have been able to do, but hey, Silver Age). Since he hadn't mastered at first, he caused everything he vibrated through to explode.

And then there's the comical part of that one picture about Flash. The "pants made of GO FAST". I don't remember what was the explanation for that, but yes. Speed force-made clothes.

tl;dr: yes, he can apply superspeed for things besides running fast.
>>
>>78441054

That's not being creative.

Being creative is coming up with a viable way of rescuing people without giving them whiplash other than LOL Speedforce.
>>
>>78441364
>That's not being creative.

using speed force to do ordinary things is very much creative.
>>
>>78441797
*unordinary
>>
>>78441797

Anon,, coming up with nonsensical bullshit isn't being creative.
>>
>>78439775
After a certain point he's going so fast that every time an air molecule collides with him it explodes. He runs pushing gamma ray bursts that would eradicate all life around him (and set everything on fire).

Long, long before that he'd be tearing out windows and ripping the oxygen from your lungs as he passed by.
>>
>>78442635
it most certainly is. Creativity isn't a synonym of good. Even shit like dobson is still creative. Not good by any means, but still creative.
>>
>>78439802
This
The speed force only exists to explain why only certain laws of physics apply to the Flash at a given time.
For exemple, why he can run so fast he can walk on water, but leaves no huge blast of air as he runs through town.
>>
>>78439976
They gave him a limitation. He had a top speed of Mach 1 and had to eat exactly as much food as you'd expect with his metabolism.
They changed it back.
>>
The speedforce is the force that allows for movement, not just on a physical level, but a metaphysical one as well.
The reason it's used to fill up plot holes and scientific inaccuracies is because it is LITERALLY the force that moves the story forward. Without it, the writers would have to explain why the Flash doesn't burn up in the air and stuff, and that just wouldn't be any fun.
>>
>>78440336
They are artists, they barely know high school science.
>>
>>78439862
Moving really fast and making everything around you very slow are the exact same fucking power, numb-nuts.
>>
>>78441070
I want this Flash to be played by Woody Allen.
Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.