[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
College fags, what cartoons did your professor show during lecture
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 204
Thread images: 30
College fags, what cartoons did your professor show during lecture for learning purposes.

>Took a Race relations class
>Professor showed a clip of 'King of the Hill' where Hank had to take the online test to see if he hated black people.
>>
The Iron Giant and the Black Cauldron.
>>
So this is what you're wasting my money on, Son? Watching Kids shows? I thought you were supposed to be getting an education.
>>
>>78428606
Story composition
>>
File: 1446430442717.gif (2 MB, 320x200) Image search: [Google]
1446430442717.gif
2 MB, 320x200
Watchmen, V for Vendetta, and Perspolis

V was for a story telling culture bullshit class but Watchmen and Perspolis was for my last english class I had to take
That English teacher was pretty young and she just wanted to read some comics.

>Mfw listening to the "Normies" take on the stories
>>
once in psychology class our professor showed us a clip from pinky and the brain, with a song about brain mapping out the parts of the brain.
>>
>>78428539
protip: if the professor is showing you cartoons during class, the class is female/african studies-tier aka literally better off flushing money down the toilet-tier.
>>
>>78428539
I recall in Physics 1 the professor actually played something from od of the newer Die d
>>
Simpsons, "Marge vs Itchy and Scratchy". We were talking about censorship in my media theory class.
>>
Blacks are so equal that we make easier classes so they can succeed too!
>>
>>78428539
We once watched a Chinese dramatization of the life of Confucius during a class on Confucian teachings and their influence today.
During the last session before Christmas.
In Japanese classes we got to sing the Pokémon theme in Japanese.
>>
>>78428539
In the police academy we had to watch Silver Linings Playbook. It was supposed to show us mental disorders.
>>
>>78429709
Every black dude I know in college is a fucking med student with ridiculous workloads that I wouldn't even attempt to complete.
>>
>>78428539
Donald duck's adventure in mathland or however it is called. Had to watch it in middle school then again in highschool despite being basic arithmetic and geometry.
In kindergarten we would watch movies in English with subtitles every Friday
>>
>>78429761
I know maybe one or two like that.
Most of the black people I know in college are fucking morons.
I'm not a racist and I don't think black people are generally stupid, but the black people at my school are really stupid for the most part.
The smartest guy I know is a black neuroscience major though, he's an autist
>>
He showed clips from dated Disney movies and black & white cartoons to prove that the 21st century media is racist.
>>
>>78429458
>not living in a nation with free tertiary education
>>
>>78429963
I know, right?
I might just laugh so hard, I will have to go to hospital for a free medical checkup!
>>
>>78430044
Speaking as an American-Canadian border dweller, you fuckers too far south and north need to accept the fact that you only have half a utopia.
>>
>>78430188
Who talks about you filthy colonial scum?
Traitors, undesirables and quitters, all of you!
>>
>>78428539

It wasn't for learning purposes but in the last day of Japanese Culture we got to watch Little Witch Academia.
>>
File: fire fire fail.gif (1021 KB, 288x215) Image search: [Google]
fire fire fail.gif
1021 KB, 288x215
>>78429709
>this is what 'mercans actually believe
>>
None because I studied Mechanical Engineering.
>>
The anime film adaptation of Genji Monogatari in my Japanese Literature class.

That's pretty much it.
>>
>>78430229
Wow I'm jelly.

We got to watch Hercules in our Mythology class though so not too bad.
>>
We watched Hercules in my module on Greek culture in modern media, that and 300, Troy and a shit load of other films.
>>
In an Arts History class I took, when we got to Japanese Shinto temples and ancient writing systems, one kid asked if we were going to watch anime suggesting it was "educational" and he suggested shit like Naruto and Death Note because our teacher mentioned "Shinigami" once.
>>
>>78430508
And here I wasted my time with cartoon-starved economics modules!
How thoughtless of me!
>>
>>78430547
In Japanese language classes we translated the first chapter of Naruto.
And laughed at how terrible the VAs in the dub were at pronouncing the names.
>>
>>78428751
please tell us some.
>>
>>78428539

None, they made me watch a few movies, but never a cartoon.
>>
>>78430594
Also there is only one ninja named Sasuke.
https://youtu.be/zZcdEhxvQ8M?t=1m25s
>>
>>78430390

It's hilarious how incompetent the Nicaraguan military is.
>>
>>78428539
>Religious Studies class
>talking about apocalyptic literature
>Professor shows the episode of Simpsons where Homer sees the Left Behind movie and becomes obsessed with predicting the date of the apocalypse

It was pretty fun
>>
>>78430535
Did you go to UT by any chance? Sounds exactly like a class I took.
>>
Watched the episode where Lisa learns the truth about Jebediah Springfield, but decides it's better for people to believe the myth than know the truth in a History class
>>
>>78430887
Now this bodes well for a history class.
>No, revisionism is totally fine, see?
>>
>>78428539
>>Took a Race relations class
Why?
>>
>>78428539
That episode of the Simpsons that references the boob grab scene from A Clockwork Orange, and Der Fuehrer's Face.
>>
>>78428539
That's hilarious.
>>
>>78429963
That only means you are flushing your taxes down the toilet
>>
I'm in med school,we actually learn things here and are expected to act like rational adults.
>>
>>78431167
Nah. You flush the taxes of people with income down the toilet.
Still cheaper than your dick-replacement military!
Hell, we could get all those refugees new cars with the spare cash from that equasion.
>>
>>78431276
>Still cheaper than your dick-replacement military!
You know military expenditure as % of GDP is not really high for the USA its just that their GDP is massive.Quit your inferiority complex you cringeworthy Europoor.
Not even American btw.
>>
File: this bag of dirt.jpg (39 KB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
this bag of dirt.jpg
39 KB, 640x360
>>78431209
Yeah, yeah, and you actually learn hard facts that can't be undermined with bullshit platitudes.
Yet you're still here, posting on /co/.
>>
File: Mary-And-Max1.jpg (35 KB, 600x334) Image search: [Google]
Mary-And-Max1.jpg
35 KB, 600x334
Mary and Max in our psychology class and that's about it

Der Fuehrer's Face also if I recall it correctly (it's now banned here in Russia for promoting nazism)
>>
>>78431209
>expected to act like rational adults
Consantly taking in bribery from pharmaceutical companies does sound pretty rational desu
>>
>>78429909

Are they actually stupider than other kids, or did you just not compare?
>>
>>78431323
Is that why NASA meanwhile has to survive a shoestring budget?
>>
>>78431419
>Two digit IQ people's opinion : the post
Hurrdgh derpfg dem doctors have cure for my diabetuus but the jews wont let them release !
>>
>>78431472
What the fuck does that have to do with anything? I just provided a fact that destroyed your narrative,give up.
>>
>>78431501
Yeah, you're right, I suppose those 3.5 billion dollars were literally free money.
>>
>>78431323
Ad hoc Wikipedia speaks of 4% GDP. And 17% of the federal budget.
That is more than four times the Japanese rate, three times what Germany spends (by GDP, their tax rates are far higher, so the budgets are relatively larger) and the only people spending more are the Saudis, because fuck their people!
There are massive funds for discretionary spending that the defense department keeps tapping into.

So the biggest economy on the planet spends more on the military than the next ten states, which covers more than half the global population and are mostly allies of the US.

Far be it from me to suggest that you would need less tanks, but don't you think that maybe you are being duped by your defense contractors here? You should think 600 and something billion a year would comfortably buy you global hegemony.
>>
>>78428539
I study a real subject in a real university.
>>
>>78431724
3% of GDP is nothing for a country who is perpetually in war, Israel uses 7% and their most serious threat are palestinian bootleg rockets.
>>
>>78430913
Well that was the question we had to deal with as a class after the episode
>>
>>78431905
And what conclusion did you reached?
>>
>>78430508
>We got to watch Hercules in our Mythology class though so not too bad.
Fuck you humanities courses! Out of all things they choose the least accurate one! I tried but I really can't take seriously any humanities major until he prove himself to be competent.
>>
We watched The Boy Who Knew Too Much in a Psych and the Law course. It was to look over the process during investigations in regards to witnesses and procedure and how police often fuck it up.
>>
We watched Spirited Away in an international cinema class, along with some other really good Japanese movies
>>
File: 56154156.png (421 KB, 427x640) Image search: [Google]
56154156.png
421 KB, 427x640
>Being a STEM major

I watched Pink Flamingos in a sexuality in media class and you guys are gayer still
>>
>>78433312
>sexuality in media class
>STEM
what?
>>
>>78428539
>College fags, what cartoons did your professor show during lecture for learning purposes.

A lot.

I went to animation school.
>>
File: image.jpg (78 KB, 402x500) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
78 KB, 402x500
French class made me watch les triplettes de Belleville, Persepolis and pic related. The animation is beautiful but other than that it's an obnoxious Mary Sue story
>>
>>78433411

I was condemning STEM majors. They'll probably make more money than me if they pursue it but in college they were so offputting and unfriendly that I'd say it's a requisite of going into the field
>>
>>78429646
>media theory classes

>>78431885
So in other words, Israel has to deal with the same threats the US does AND bootleg rockets.

Which, incidentally, is the problem with saying the US is perpetually in war. It's not that it's actually got any attackers, it just really likes being at war. And the wars haven't accomplished much either.
>>
>>78433514
>Being mad people call you out on your shit major.
>>
If your class major ends with the word "Studies", it's a scam.
>>
>>78434023
If only. That would imply interaction with others. I never see them at events or parties
>>
>>78434170
Or ology, since that means the study of
>>
>>78428539
None, the professors assumed we were adults and didn't need to hold up shiny things to our face to keep our attention.
>>
>>78433312
I'm personally pretty gay, I'll admit, but STEM as disciplines are fucking ironclad my friend.
>>
>>78434222
Are you mad because science students didn't come to your liberal arts parties?
>>
File: Crying Cat.png (295 KB, 603x488) Image search: [Google]
Crying Cat.png
295 KB, 603x488
>>78434438
You didn't have to be so mean about it.
>>
>>78434278
Must not have been teaching that long.
>>
>>78434438
You say that like liberal arts parties are bad. The theater kids partied at a level of debauchery I never saw topped in college

The GSA parties started out cool, then a bunch of the leaders graduated in the same year and the new people decided they didn't want the allies around
>>
>>78430594
Not that Japs are any better with non-jap names...
>>
File: 15648.png (216 KB, 461x550) Image search: [Google]
15648.png
216 KB, 461x550
>>78434438

My initial point is that they're offputting and unwilling to accept any other college experiences other then their own and you're demonstrating this flawlessly. When you're up for a job against a sorority slut who got the same GPA as you you'll be SOL
>>
>>78434438

are there such things as science parties? lol
>>
>>78428539
Not college, but back in high school one of my lit teachers said Disney's Pinocchio was a pretty important movie, I don't remember exactly why though.
>>
My Intro to Mass Communications professor showed us a clip from The Office to make some stupid point. I have no memory of it because i was so pissed I was forced to take a fucking class on "communications", a subject so broad its meaningless.

If you got a degree in Communications, fucking kill yourself because literally anyone else can do your stupid fucking job.
>>
>>78434924
Because it whitewashes history.
>>
>>78428539
None, I studied journalism. We spent more time going out and doing interviews, editing audio and video, and learning how to use the equipment.

Though, my newswriting professor told me that The Fifth Element is the best film he's ever seen.
>>
>>78428539
I had to write a 4 page paper for my English class on Princess Mononoke, it was like a 25 person class though, and other profs had shown cartoons like the Simpsons.
>>
>>78434956
I took International Studies as an elective one summer and the professor just went on a mini rant one day about how great Farscape is

It got me to watch the show
>>
The Simpsons episode where Lisa digs up an angel, for Anthropology class
>>
>>78434940
>Pinocchio
>history
>>
>>78428539
I was in a religious high school and we watched Shrek 2 for Bible studies or wtv it was called.
Nobody bothered asking what that had to do with the Bible.
>>
>liberal arts majors talk about movies they watched in college
>get to watch more movies since they dont work
like pottery
>>
>>78435113
We watched movies all the time in Sociology in high school. It was because the teacher was the basketball coach and he didn't really give a shit about anything besides coaching
>>
>>78435156
Tell us about going to work during a class.
>>
>>78428539
>Race relations class

What the fuck is that?
Why the fuck it that?

What is the literal point in even taking such a class?
>>
Daria

TV/film studies, our ultra liberal professor showed Daria for the token cartoon we watched to discuss modern animation. But mainly because her TA gave it to her to show, since he had a rather large video collection she was using for the class).

The class was pretty decent. Got to see a ton of obscure films and TV shows (Jeeves and Wooster, The Prisoner, Chappelle Show, The Shield).
>>
This semester I took a course on the History of Hollywood as a place and idea in American Culture. On thing lead to another professor started talking about how Disneyland is simalar to original plan for LA. Basically a strong order centric community. She then showed that with the island clip from Pinocchio. Basically that's how Disney viewed popular entertainment at the time particularly Coney Island.
>>
>>78435889
Culturally "sensitive" teachers, and they usually tend to be easy fucking blow-off classes for filling up elective credit hours.
>>
In a computer science course about operating systems, my lecturer showed Shrek's onion speech as a segway into layered OS models.
>>
>>78428539
please tell me he understood the point king of the hill was making

my college was half-assed as FUCK. Some classes we never got instruction or supervision, we were instructed to just go play. then finals or the part-2 class the next semester came or whatever, and we had no idea what to do. one teacher got kicked upstairs into a desk job
another class (Advertising) was mostly just watching pointless videos vaguely related to advertising while the morbidly obese teacher napped
>>
File: Nice one.png (550 KB, 350x400) Image search: [Google]
Nice one.png
550 KB, 350x400
Watched Wall-E for my Sci-fi Lit class a couple semesters ago. It was a cool class.
>>
>>78436058
Depends where your going I to a Research Heavy Institution and even though where known for hard sciences. Our humanities faculty are also doing research so it's refelected in their teaching. So your not talking out your ass. That being said even though I'm a chemistry major I even get annoyed when people talk shit about non STEM fields.
>>
>>78434825
Damn Grace Jones is hot.
>>
>>78435168
That's coaches though. It's pretty fucking stupid that they have coaches teach those fucking classes.
>>
watched simpsons the raven clip for american lit 1820-1900

took a comic book course and we read watchmen, v for vendetta, all-star superman, maus, the dark knight returns, and surprisingly enough King City
>>
>>78435794
OK.
>Calc I-III
Integrals and Matrix Derivatives a shit

>Spending 16 hours a week outside of and in addition to the 8 hours a week in classes learning how to use a professional grade solid modeling software.

That's just two of the MANY MANY examples. Liberal Arts, Gender Studies and General Studies are not real degrees anon. Don't let the system lie to you.
>>
Watched the rough and final version of the Aqua Teen Hunger Force for my animation class.
>>
>>78435113
My Catholic high school had a mandatory "religion" class, the grade 10 one all we did was watch movies and write essays about them. I don't even really think they had anything to do with religion, just shit like Over the Hedge and Requiem for a Dream.
>>
In middle school the history teacher made us memorize the 'nations of the world' song from Animaniacs, and in college somebody showed that clip from Dilbert where he is diagnosed as an engineer.
>>
File: 1446694657144.jpg (44 KB, 454x588) Image search: [Google]
1446694657144.jpg
44 KB, 454x588
itt: "my degree is more mature and important than yours"
>>
>>78436646
I assumed you were talking about leaving the class to go work at a job.
>>
>>78436761
Nah, just Liberal Arts and Gender Studies.
>>
>>78436646
That would be impressive if I wasnt also using those things and knowing how mundane it can. Don't get me wrong I love it to death but nigga curb your elitism.
>>
>>78436761
Only liberal arts and gender studies were mentioned. And yes, they are fake, go-nowhere degrees that won't get you a job. It's just fact.
>>
File: 1449895416009.png (159 KB, 476x345) Image search: [Google]
1449895416009.png
159 KB, 476x345
>>78429750
What? Why? Silver Linings Playbook is nothing like real mental disorders.
>>
>>78436826
Yeah, but it's way more work than sitting in class watching a fucking movie, which is the comparison that was being made.
>>
File: too wild 4 me.jpg (44 KB, 375x500) Image search: [Google]
too wild 4 me.jpg
44 KB, 375x500
>>78436761
How about: Society values some degrees more than others, and it can be empirically measured by how much money you receive from society.

In b4 "you can't measure a degree's value by how much money it brings in". Yes you can

Example: Sally got a degree in gender studies and can only get a job at Starbucks, as opposed to Susan who got a degree in Applied Physics and has a plethora of job opportunities since companies are unsure if Sally's studies on privilege will help her understand the lattice structure of particular materials they need to use.
>>
>>78436880
Good luck with that STEM degree if you pick the wrong specialization.

>>78437049
Oh yeah Calc 1, you're a hardcore motherfucker.
>>
>it's another thread that turns into "lberal arts degrees are shit"
I think we all get it guys, we've all been on this website before, there's no need for every fucking thread on every fucking board that off-handedly mentions college to turn into that.
>>
>>78428539
King of the hill, the episode where the Hills try to switch churches to a megachurch. It was for a myth, ritual and symbol class. Awesome easy class, honestly
>>
>>78437075
Susan better have gone for grad- and post-grad programs, because most of what I can find on Applied Physics points to it being the degree you get on your way to a different degree.
>>
>>78437102
I said Calc 1-3. Say that to my face again motherfucker. Even after graduating and working on my Masters. Calc II is easily one of the hardest fucking classes I have ever taken.
>>
File: tumblr_me5t8q7Nqt1rlbgiwo1_500.jpg (121 KB, 500x750) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_me5t8q7Nqt1rlbgiwo1_500.jpg
121 KB, 500x750
>this thread
>>
File: 1450115838890.gif (2 MB, 550x309) Image search: [Google]
1450115838890.gif
2 MB, 550x309
>>78437102
>>78437283
>>78436761
Someone's a salty Liberal Arts major.
>>
Not the professor, but one of my classmates used a Ben Garrison comic in a public speaking presentation.
>>
File: goldhomer.jpg (15 KB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
goldhomer.jpg
15 KB, 320x240
>>78437102
There's no such thing as a wrong specialization in any STEM degree.
>>
>>78437341
Someone's upset they're still working at AutoZone. Don't worry, I'm sure that single job opening halfway across the country won't be filled by an Indian guy for half the money.
>>
File: 1450935319493.gif (1 MB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
1450935319493.gif
1 MB, 640x480
>Group of Feminists try to create a Computer Language Based on Feminism.
>The core essence was essentially removing the idea that “not true” = “false”.
>Example, while 4 + 5 = 9, it can also equal 11, 3, -27 or mashed potatoes if it feels like it
>They've been working on this for 10 years without and success.
>Of the original 10, only 2 keep working on it due to the fact that the government pays them to keep doing it as long as it's an all female coding team
>>
File: 1451103062292.png (418 KB, 448x468) Image search: [Google]
1451103062292.png
418 KB, 448x468
>>78437410
So. Fucking. Mad.
>>
>>78437478
I'd be mad about lobbying to increase the number of H1B visas too.
>>
watched the South Park episode where there's the flag debate about racism in my ethics class
>>
>>78437424
>Computer Language based on Feminism
Who in the fuck thought that would even be possible? Why not make a computer language based on the culinary arts? Or on race relations?
>>
They show The Simpsons in most sociology courses
>>
File: 1449366602068.png (22 KB, 758x430) Image search: [Google]
1449366602068.png
22 KB, 758x430
>mfw this was used to explain the Iran/Contra Affair

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lFV1uT-ihDo
>>
>>78437424
Government is based. "Let pay them to prove themselves wrong, literally no excuse. They are getting pay to try to get this to work!"
>>
>>78437762
This song was so good. I still sing it from time to time.
>>
>>78437762
It's a pretty succinct summary of Ollie North's role.

>>78437706
From what I gather everything about a feminist computer language stems from a single PhD student's thesis.
>>
>>78437424
I need sauce on this shit
>>
>>78436646
anon I don't mean to be a one-upper here or an obnoxious faggot but I'm a design major and I spend roughly 60-80 hours per week outside of class working my ass off to finish all my work. All my classes are 3 hours long so I usually go 9 hours straight every day without a break for lunch before doing regular all-nighters, it's beyond exhausting and the program here is extremely tough but I'm making it.

>muh liberal arts not a real degree
>muh STEM

We watched It's Such a Beautiful Day, Fantasmagorie, and Waltz With Bashir for my motion design class, as well as a handful of other shorts early on.
>>
>>78437706
>Or on race relations?
So what we do is we start off with a simulation of a Black neighborhood oppressed by the predominantly white police.

We then encode our question (say, 2+2) as kilos of meth that are introduced and moved around the neighborhood.

The output, thusly, is how many drug busts are to be had. Since we have 4 kilos of meth, we should get 4 drug busts, regardless of if the drugs(partitioned or otherwise) are at that current location or not.
>>
>>78429909
>I'm not racist, but black people are just dumber than us!

>supposed to turn the other cheek to these people
Thanks for contributing to this unending nightmare of having darker skin. It's great to know that I'm less than human to you even in the year 2015.
>>
>>78428539
Did a media studies class. I don't remember ever seeing a whole show, but the lecturer loved showing clips of the Simpsons. I did do a screenwriting class where we watched a whole episode of Seinfeld and Fraiser though. That was fun. The whole time watching though all I could think of was the college kids watching and over analysing Itchy and Scratchy in that one Simpsons episode.
>>
File: 220px-Kirikou_et_la_sorcière.jpg (20 KB, 220x310) Image search: [Google]
220px-Kirikou_et_la_sorcière.jpg
20 KB, 220x310
Watched Kirikou in a French class. Probably more do do with the fact it was a movie in French than anything else, but I think my prof tried to tie it into francophone African culture.
>>
>>78437983
Nah, Design is an actual degree bro. When people say "Liberal Arts degree" they mean a Bachelors in Liberal Arts, which basically means "I studied whatever the fuck I wanted to and developed no marketable skills."
>>
>>78438080
Never paid much attention to French animation, given I don't speak French, but did your prof use any other art in that context?
>>
>>78428539

>muh college/universities are for liberal idiots

modern education is 100% STEM and nobody care about liberal ideas.
>>
>>78437980

http://users.humboldt.edu/jwpowell/femformlogic.pdf

?
>>
>>78429458
What if the class is about animation?
>>
>>78438254
Still counts.
>>
BS Biology anon here, I stil couldn't do shit with my degree right out of undergrad because literally everything required at least a masters degree or two years equivalent lab experience.

College is intended to develop skills for specific jobs and fields of study. If the skills that you develop and can show evidence for don't match up to a job or field of study in demand, and you can't effectively market it as such, then you're shit out of luck regardless of whether you did a STEM degree or a liberal arts degree.

Friend of mine majored in philosophy and women's studies and managed to get himself into fucking law school and is doing pretty well for himself working as an aide for a local law firm as he's going through it.
>>
>>78438338
>he
Well, there's your answer.
>>
>>78429909
>>78429709
Well, now I know why a study in Ethnic Studies is fucking worthless.

White people just don't have to care and don't care to know otherwise.
>>
>>78434502
>Implying the engineering students aren't better
or at very least contenders for the title.
>>
>>78437424
>Group of Feminists try to create a Computer Language Based on Feminism.
Wait, you mean that's not just a joke of ED?
Mother of god.
>>
>>78428539
This episode was really pushing disbelief.

>like any college students could actually mistake an 8 year old for one of them.
>>
>Spanish Class
>Had three years for degree requirement even though I don't remember shit to this day
>Same teacher every year
>For some reason, we all watched Shrek the Third Spanish dub for each semester
It wasn't even a good Shrek movie, why did I have to watch that shit 3 times?!
>>
>>78438034
>>78438509
>It's the current year!
>>
>>78438509
>White people just don't have to care and don't care to know otherwise.
Yes, please make a Ethnic Studies degree required for all white people, otherwise they're ignorant racists.
>>
>>78428539
We watched the beginning of Up! in my communications class as an example of nonverbal communication.
>>
>>78437394
A real one or a /pol/ edit?
>>
The closest I ever got was a clip of hackers in various 90s media in a Network Technology History class
>>
>>78436582
The track coach was also my psychology teacher and for the most part we watched ted talks and a beautiful mind
>>
File: 12.png (407 KB, 622x638) Image search: [Google]
12.png
407 KB, 622x638
>>78437424
Why
>>
>>78428539
Akira and Princess Mononoke.
>>
>>78428539
I studied bioengineering and got no cartoons.
>>
File: greatsuccess.jpg (56 KB, 576x432) Image search: [Google]
greatsuccess.jpg
56 KB, 576x432
>Taking 3rd Wave Feminism class (part of graduation requirements and all that)
>Decide to make my presentation about cartoons
>Write the paper and do the presentation the morning it's due
>Got to present Cow and Chicken's episode, "Buffalo Gals", to my entire class under the guise of negative depictions of lesbianism in media

I consider it among my top collegiate successes.
>>
>>78442033
That is fucking hilarious, good work
>>
>>78442033
>part of graduation requirements
Fuck your school.
>>
File: 667876767678678.png (513 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
667876767678678.png
513 KB, 1280x720
>>78442033
>"Oh! the Buffalo Gals, a motorcycle riding gang that randomly breaks into people's homes and chews on their carpets"

fuck I never saw this episode air back in the day
>>
>>78429458
>Implying classes matter
>Implying it's not the piece of paper you get at the end.

Unless you're in trade school, you could be watching simpson reruns in a good 80% of your courses and still end up alright. By which I mean knowledge of how to do your future job along with a mountain of debt.
>>
>>78433497
So Burger King or McDonalds?
>>
>>78428539
>race relations class
why is this a thing?
are you american?
>>
>>78442730
it's an american college thing. You have to take so many bullshit, pointless classes for a degree where half of you classes even applied to your degree.
>>
We watched Der Fuehrer's Face in the single lecture were we studied Nazi contributions to Archaeology.

Utterly irrelevant to the class but the lecturer finished early and I think he wanted to cheer us after 50 minutes of saying 'actually the Nazi's were pretty useful to your chosen career path'.
>>
>>78428539

We didn't watch cartoons in college you fuck. Get a real major.
>>
File: 1450701585190.gif (932 KB, 500x281) Image search: [Google]
1450701585190.gif
932 KB, 500x281
>>78440329
The argument was using Boolean Algebra is essentially flawed since it only worked in a world determined by binaries (True Statement/False Statement), which is inherently counter-feministic.

The problem they refuse to accept is that such a system can never be consistent, if 5+4=9 or -27 if it feels like it, when we ask it to do any mathematics, every time we input a encoded question that involves 5 or 4 or 9 or -27, we get a wildly varying output each time.

What these women have done is shown that Feminism as it is now is wholly incompatible with Mathematics, since to be able to do maths, we demand consistency (4+5=9 and its never anything else).
>>
>>78433312
Pink Flamingos is a fun movie though.
>>
>Sita sings the Blues
>bunch of old Disney shorts

I took animation course, too easy
>>
>>78434825
Chill out, man.
>>
>race relations class

I'm so glad I dropped out of college.
>>
>>78429909

I taught laboratory classes while I was a Ph.D. student. Spoiler alert: Most kids in college are fucking stupid. I got absolutely dumbass-tier work from students of all races and both genders all the damn time. In an average class, I'd say about 10% knew or cared to know anything. The rest treat it as High School 2.0 and suffer delusions that a 3.0 GPA will get them anywhere near a med school. Ain't a black thing, son.
>>
>>78444764
Oh good. I thought I might have ended up going to a school for retards when I had to peer review fellow student papers in my economics course. I felt like I was grading 9th grade essays about To Kill a Mockingbird written from Cliff Notes. Shit wasn't even spellchecked and that's the least of their problems.
>>
A 70's drugs on job PSA.
I was terrible.
>>
>>78428539
A bunch of classic Disney stuff. Y'know, because it was a class on Walt Disney.

The Jim Henson class was better, got to meet Dave Goelz at the end of that...
>>
File: 1448212999196.jpg (95 KB, 512x556) Image search: [Google]
1448212999196.jpg
95 KB, 512x556
>>78433312
> Not being STEM
Supposedly they're trying to make it STEAM for Art majors, because APPARENTLY we need more artists now or something. Whatever, imma go talk to computers.
>>
File: 1373237023741.jpg (232 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
1373237023741.jpg
232 KB, 1024x768
>>78443473
Canadafag here, when I was studying journalism we had a Native Studies class, because of course we did. We were asked to do a report on the history and practices of a specific tribe, so I did some digging and picked the Haida people in the Pacifist Northwest.

My presentation started out pretty normal, talking about how long Haida had been in that area for this many thousands of years, advances they made in tools and art, fortifications, and other fun shit like that.

Then I pointed out that the Haida owned slaves and were very warlike toward other tribes. I also pointed out that the Tlingit and the Yurok were tribes that also owned slaves, that as many as one-quarter of the native population of those areas were slaves, and that some tribes in the British Columbia area continued to segregate descendants of slaves all the way into the 1970s.

I got a good mark on it from the (white) teacher, and while the half-dozen or so natives in my class didn't say anything to me about it, they had a look on their faces like they hated what they were hearing when I got to the slavery part.

It was a satisfying presentation to give.
>>
>>78444906

Actually STEAM is more about being able to use scientific and engineering principles in other forms of media. Sort of like an expanded Writing Across the Curriculum push. I worked with a professor who ran a workshop for middle school kids where they used Lego Robotics to build animatronic art pieces. They had to actually document the design process and do a write up of how the programming and circuitry in their projects was laid out too, so it still counts.
>>
>>78444987
Well that's pretty neat, not that I was really all that opposed to begin with.
>>
>>78444906
>>78444987

Gaben has gone too far
>>
>>78428539
>Took English 101
>Teacher showed us an episode of Trailer Park Boys
He was pretty chill.
>>
>required sociology course
>professor spends an entire class showing a documentary about why Disney is racist and sexist
Beauty and the Beast encourages staying in abusive relationships, the crows from Dumbo speak jive, etc.
>>
>>78445001

Yeah the important thing is to try and find a balance between the traditional STEM concepts and artistic expression. You want the kids to be able to learn something concrete about science or technology, but also be able to apply it effectively in a context that's more personal for them.
>>
>>78444969

Now they know what it feels like to be white and called out on slave-owning.
>>
>>78437424
Are you talking about C+=?
It was a thing /g/ created (along with Feminist Software Foundation, a play off Free Software Foundation). It was made to mock the SJWs trying to "infiltrate" the tech world. One example is the push to change the Master/Slave terminology to Leader/Follow in the web framework Django.
It ended up getting kicked off a bunch of code sharing websites, which serves as a litmus test, if nothing else.
>>
>>78431905
>implying it's debatable
Your university should be shut down. Revisionism is scum. When you cater discover and records for the lowest common denominator we all lose as a collective.
See it's pretty horrid and that's only seeing it as an act of convenience rather than the act of deception and agenda it more commonly occurs as.
>>
my physics profs liked to show Wallace and Gromit clips before class started, that's about it.

There ain't a whole lot of cartoons to teach kids about scaled distances when blasting in public places or how to keep your powder factor in line.
>>
>>78428539
My senior seminar course used Ghost in the Shell as part of the curriculum.
>>
File: mendelbrotset.jpg (505 KB, 1600x1000) Image search: [Google]
mendelbrotset.jpg
505 KB, 1600x1000
>>78445054
>Yeah the important thing is to try and find a balance between the traditional STEM concepts and artistic expression.
Pic related?
>>
I don't remember watching any animation for the class lectures, but one of my professors approved a report of mine on Tokyo Godfathers. Even gave my grade and override to a B when her TA gave me a C. I didn't even have to ask. Only really lost points in the first place because the film I chose to compare it to from the curriculum didn't quite work out like I planned.
>>
>>78445957
I also think I may have convinced her to add Paprika to her curriculum for the following years.
>>
>>78445904

Yeah that's an example of how you could use it.
>>
>>78428751
>mfw listening to the "Normies" take on the stories

tbqh I'd rather listen to literature students talk about comics for a change rather than neckbeards obsessed with canon, continuity and powerlevels.

Same reason why it's often hard to talk to 'Star Wars' fans about why I prefer the original to Empire, having studied film.
>>
>>78438509
Betta know Muh history honkey or else yalls raisis n shit
>>
>>78446000
Having studied film, and worked in film, Empire is still the better movie.
>>
Before each lecture, my Calculus III professor shows the class clips from Rick & Morty, The Simpsons, Star Wars, Lord of the Rings, Monty Python and the Holy Grail, and tons of other stuff he liked.

It didn't relate to calculus at all, he just liked sharing his interests and things he thought were funny.
>>
File: tir1.jpg (37 KB, 720x540) Image search: [Google]
tir1.jpg
37 KB, 720x540
Took.a cold war class and the professor had an optional extra session that was just an hour of Soviet propaganda cartoons .

https://youtu.be/8cEDCeJuBPg
https://youtu.be/JO_ymtWZYKg

>be American
>get shot
>>
>>78446150
>Empire is still the better movie

Empire's great but really it just feels like a Star Wars sequel, and lacks those elements of New Hollywood genre memorialisation evident in Star Wars. The John Ford western influence, Kurosawa's samurai movies, Flash Gordon serials, tied up in a simple recasting of Campbell's Hero's Journey is just that much more interesting to look at as a turning point in Hollywood cinema. It's pretty much the death of New Hollywood and the lead into Post-classical Hollywood, ironically at the hands of the struggling auteur who wanted nothing to do with the studio system but eventually found himself drawn in and succumbing to churning out these movies for the rest of the life rather than carrying on with the experimental films he'd made as a student.
Thread replies: 204
Thread images: 30

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.