[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
http://www.dccomics.com/blog/2015/1 2/24/ten-moments-that-ma
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 195
Thread images: 8
http://www.dccomics.com/blog/2015/12/24/ten-moments-that-mattered-dc-grows-more-diverse

>We’re just going to come out and say it: Diversity matters. It matters on the page and behind it. In fact, the need to diversify just may be the single biggest challenge facing comics today. If you don’t agree, well, chances are that’s because you’re used to seeing yourself represented in the panels of your favorite books. You probably have no shortage of comics on the stands that speak to you. But not everyone can make the same claim, and until that changes, we owe it to our audience and the world at large to push ourselves to become more diverse.

>But here’s the thing. Diversity isn’t just adding characters of different races, cultures, genders and sexualities to the DC Universe, it’s also telling stories that will appeal to different kinds of people. Action is great, and there will never be a shortage of action spectacles in the DCU, but this year showed us that there’s room for other types of stories as well. There’s room for sharp political satires like Prez, for all-ages comedies like Bizarro, for punk-tinted conspiracy tales like Black Canary and hard sci-fi drawn from real world scenarios like The Omega Men. There’s room for an out writer writing an openly gay hero like we have with Steve Orlando and Midnighter and for Lee Bermejo to look to the streets of today and completely reinvent a 75-year-old character into something like We Are Robin.

What think, /co/?
>>
>>78415308
Sure.
>>
>>78415308
>hard sci-fi drawn from real world scenarios like The Omega Men

Let me guess, this guy never read a single issue of Omega Men.
>>
>>78415308
Empty PR talk. Who cares.
>>
>>78415308
I ain't reading your article, asshole.
>>
They make it sound like it's such a huge deal. Worry about the quality instead.

Either way, I'm pretty psyched for Midnighter volume #1
>>
>>78415385
well, it's not inaccurate
>>
>>78415308
I think DC should have died in the 80s
>>
I probably should have just cut out the first paragraph.

I meant to spur discussion of the importance of genre diversity. My bad.
>>
>>78415538
Why worry about quality? The worst of the books listed (Bizarro) was mostly just boring
>>
Focus on quality and "diversity" in story follows, not (or rarely) the other way around.
>>
>>78415308
that's all good but most of those books suck
>>
>>78415575
Building an audience hooked on a certain type of book, then disregarding them and switching to an array of genres seems like a poor business decision.
>>
>>78415632
Shouldn't new genres theoretically draw in other audiences too, though? Plus it's not like they got rid of generic cape books
>>
>>78415628
None of the ones listed in the OP are bad tho
>>
>>78415308
>because you’re used to seeing yourself represented in the panels of your favorite books

this is what people believe... That a fictional bodybuilder flying about in tights is relatable to someone reading escapist fantasy schlock ... because of skin color?
>>
>>78415693
Turns out racists aren't the most logical type.
>>
>>78415308
You betta diversify yo bonds, nigga
>>
>>78415575
Honestly that second paragraph highlights the largest problem facing comics today: oversaturation of action books. We are at the point where DC is sitting here and pretending like those other books aren't still action-heavy just because they aren't traditional superhero books. And yet, it's still the same shit. You see indies doing it too and pretending like just because the characters aren't wearing costumes that makes it somehow unique and not just more bland action shit.

Fuck, I'm so cynical about this.
>>
>>78415661
It implies the existing audience doesn't matter, and gives longtime fans the feeling of being cast by the wayside/replaced. Whether that's legitimate or not doesn't matter, because people will spend their money according to their own views.
>>
>>78415717
Buy more copies of "Prez", then.
>>
Any good drama conic books with no action? Something of quality similar to Mad Men
>>
>>78415685
>omega men
>>
You know, every board has a "boogeyman" of sorts.

/x/ has the illuminati and... Well, boogeymen
/a/ and /mlp/ have their pedophiles

/co/ is a board all about superheroes (righting wrongs) and morals from innocent cartoons. It makes sense that it's boogeyman is the SJWs

Everything being politically correct and whatnot.
>>
File: Prez 06.jpg (1 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Prez 06.jpg
1 MB, 1920x1080
>>78415779
Prez. Political and social satire.
Go read it and the old Prez while you're at it.
>>
>>78415779
>Something of quality similar to Mad Men
Unfunnies?
>>
>>78415308
I wonder what there excuse will be when they cancel midnighter
diversity doesn't sell
>>
>>78415779
There's extremely long sections of Cerebus that are just political intrigue
Like longer than most cape runs
>>
>>78415731
>>78415843
>poor man's Transmet
And Transmetropolitan wasn't even good to begin with.
Why can't political satire ever be subtle anyway? Why is it always the same tryhard garbage that hits you over the head with its point?
>>
If you want diversity just for the sake of diversity, then you are worse than the people who don't want diversity at all.
>>
>>78415308
>In fact, the need to diversify just may be the single biggest challenge facing comics today. If you don’t agree, well, chances are that’s because you’re used to seeing yourself represented in the panels of your favorite books.

Beedle's talking about an industry that nearly turned into a monopoly -twice- due to backroom dealings, had the figurative foot of its home nation's collective legislature up its ass nearly once per decade, and which is currently tethered to a shitshack distribution company that mainly operates with niche shops. State of your hyperbole, mate. My god, it really is OK if Marvel does it, isn't it?

>>78415712
Finally, an opinion on diversity that makes sense.
>>
File: but_with_punching.png (170 KB, 597x180) Image search: [Google]
but_with_punching.png
170 KB, 597x180
>>78415308
The diversity aspect is pretty much irrelevant as far as I care. I like Midnighter because he's a fucking hilarious superpowered nutjob, not because he fucks dudes.
>>
>>78415308

Why does the comic book industry, dominated by jews, always push for diversity?

>nevermind, i answered my own question.
>>
>>78415717
>it has action so it's "bland action shit"
I was agreeing with you about the oversaturation of action books, but you just had to go and be a cunt about it.
>>
>>78416048
Well that's the point, isn't it? He's a great character that happens to be gay, not one specifically created to fill a gay quota.
>>
>>78415551
There is literally nothing hard sci-fi about it.
>>
>>78416092
>generic "violence is cool" character
>great character
>>
File: mid_nighter.jpg (1 MB, 1988x3056) Image search: [Google]
mid_nighter.jpg
1 MB, 1988x3056
>>78416125
You gotta admit though, he's pretty clever with his use of violence.
>>
>>78415974
Midnighter does good on digital and is having excellent preorders for its trades.
>>
>>78415308
>diversity matters

Good one. They only do this shit to increase their market. They would never have the balls to make batman permanently black because they'd go bankrupt.
>>
>>78415308
>here’s room for sharp political satires like Prez,
Sales say otherwise and this is speaking as someone that liked Prez.
...Not enough to buy it, but still.
>>
>>78416125
>Doesn't like based Middy

Pleb.
>>
>>78416265
Just saying, he's not a great character or even a good one. Entertaining. maybe but not good. And that's not a bad thing. Last time someone tried to give him depth we've ended up with space-owl rape, anyway.
>>
>>78416116
Kyle had a bomb implanted in his neck.
>>
Pinoy here. I dont remember seeing any Filipino heroes in marvel or DC

Do I look like I'm crying?
>>
>>78416193
Why is Batman bashing his own head in?
>>
>>78415800
Shitty b8
>>
>RESET THE CLOCK
>>
>>78416333
And? Suicide bombers are science fiction now too?
>>
>be jap
>Koreans getting pushed by Marvel
Well at least there's a couple Japanese kids in DC, and maybe Katana's mini might be alright
>>
>>78416494
>maybe Katana's mini might be alright
Is Nocenti still writing? Because if yes, don't get your hopes up
>>
>>78416361
He's fighting a villain that is hearing/sound-based

So he boxes his own ears so he can't hear 'em
>>
>>78416494
Shut up. You've already got your Asian representation. We need more blacks.
>>
>>78415693
Literally this.

I read many comics in which the main characters share my skin color, i dont care if they even share my gender.

I dont feel inclined to read a comic that much more if they do.
>>
>>78416494
Meh. I'm African and I'm cool with any good black character.

We don't see Africans besides T'challa that aren't war mongers in cape books
>>
>>78416333
That's not what "hard sci-fi" means.

Hard sci-fi is sci-fi where the tech is all based on real-world plausibility with no fantasy elements.
>>
>>78416551
It says Mike Barr is writing, how's he?>>78416556
Fuck off you've got a plethora to pick from already
>>
>>78416611
I'm also still salty they replaced David with Luke Fox
>>
>>78415551
Omega Men is soft sci-fi.
>>
>>78416630
Never heard of him, but can't imagine anyone being worse than modern-day Nocenti.
That's coming from someone who liked her Kid Eternity, DD and Longshot.
>>
>>78416642
>first arc of Batwing was actually good
>David had promise

And it just went down the crapper was they replaced him with Luke. Wish they had just cancelled it with David and let him have a full story.
>>
>>78416125
most of the people who all of a sudden like midnighter now are so fucking transparent too
I mean god its like they just found out he existed in Grayson and decided he was a uber important gay hero

Reality is he is just a killer batman clone that has the small unique aspect of being gay as well
>>
>>78415308
So in like 30-40 years are there gonna be discussions about all the discrimination against white people and how these perceived privileges are a far thing of the past. That by trying to take jobs from white people and not representing them, they actually forced them into the minority?
>>
>>78416878
There already is discussion of that on 4chan and 4chan Jr in general
>>
>>78416626
My mistake.
>>
They shouldn't have cancelled Demon Knights then. Diverse cast, and a great setting.
>>
>>78416878
>That by trying to take jobs from white people and not representing them, they actually forced them into the minority?
For people that have had and continue to have a foothold on the world, ya'll are some whiny ass bitches.

Is it just the limpwristed ones that were never going to amount to much beyond blue collar bottlenecking?
>>
no problem with the idea of reintroducing more diverse characters and concepts to comics. that shit has been happening for years. I really feel that noone would be adverse to the idea if it wasn't introduced with such a militant "deal with it" attitude.
but the whole situation reeks of market research, it's all too safe. there are a few new characters but it's mostly changes to existing characters and each of the big two have ways out.

>DC
I personally feel that DC has handled this better but it's apparent that the aren't reall putting their all in being "diverse". its a lot of minor changes (Batgirls friend. who the fuck will remember that?) that can be ignored if marketing decide that the "trend" is over. that being said stuff like midnighter and prez are really great and Cyborg has been a long established character.

>Marvel
changing existing characters and putting them in situations that pander to their wanted consumers. wouldn't it be neat to get more lady sif and valkyrie stuff? nah our new lady power house is femthor, because Thors name carries more marketability. whor and captain falcon both have the ability to be replaced at a moments notice, Marvel has an exit strategy.

instead of having Captain Falcon deal with police violence against blacks how about have Xmen play out a similar scenario with mutants (as they always have when it comes to civil rights). that would be too hard because they want to draw attention to the captain america brand and not have to share anything with Fox.

TLDR: I'm a huge faggot who thinks Marvel and DC aren't being sincere. maybe I'm wrong. feel free to call me a dickhead.
>>
>>78416932
People should have bought more copies if they didn't want it cancelled then.
>>
>>78416932
People should've bought Demon Knights.
>>
>>78415308
tl;dr We want the Marvel audience
>>
>>78416964
That's not true at all though. When people discuss these things they fail to realize that lower class white people such as orphans or people born into low poverty have been put down just as much as minorities in the same class as them.

Skin color doesn't matter at all, it's all about your economic status.

Source: Parents are addicts and no one has given me shit and the government told me that if I wanted any help I'd have to report my parents, which I obviously wasn't going to do, even if I knew where they were half the time.

Being white doesn't automatically mean an easy life.
>>
>>78417040
>it's all about your economic status.

Shh, don't disrupt the narrative.
>>
>>78416556
DC never had any Asian characters until Marvel made Silk. Don't you remember how Silk is the first Asian-American superhero?
>>
>>78416978
>but it's apparent that the aren't reall putting their all in being "diverse

Depends how you define "being diverse". Do you include diversity of genres and tones in your argument? Or just how man minority characters show up?
>>
>>78417077
>Silk is the first Asian-American superhero?

That must have been a rough day for Cassfags
>>
File: 1447126604026.png (325 KB, 508x508) Image search: [Google]
1447126604026.png
325 KB, 508x508
>>78416320
>Entertaining. maybe but not good.
>>
>>78417162
It's also a bit of a sad sign about the state of comics in the mainstream eye.
No wonder people buy Marvel's shit whenever they shovel it out on mainstream news outlets. It actually IS new to them.
>>
>>78417099
the introduction of minority characters. the fact they are getting so much praise for shit that they have very clearly planned a way to get out of the second shit turns south.
I say this as someone who wants to see more gays/women/people of color/trans characters.

I'm kinda hype to see DC broaden their writing horizons with different genres.
>>
>>78417162
She doesn't count because she's just Asian.
>>
>>78417203
>the fact they are getting so much praise for shit that they have very clearly planned a way to get out of the second shit turns south.

Wait, are you talking about DC. Fucking no one praises them, and when they do, it's begrudgingly backhanded praise.
>>
>>78417203
>I'm kinda hype to see DC broaden their writing horizons with different genres.

They already did it and no one bought any of them

But they also didn't buy the capeshit
>>
>>78417237
This is true. I remember one of those sites bitching about how all the books were written by straight white men anyway so it didn't matter (which of course wasn't true anyway, but who cares about research?).
>>
File: 1293729821732.jpg (33 KB, 375x363) Image search: [Google]
1293729821732.jpg
33 KB, 375x363
>conspiracy like Black Canary
Nigga's probably never read Black Canary before Nu52
>>
>>78417277
But did they bitch about half of ANAD being written by the same 6 white guys
>>
>>78417363
Nope. They were blinded by Whor.
>>
>>78417363
of course not
>>
>>78416337
Same tbqh.
The character can be a fucking blob of shit, but if the writing and the characterization is good, I'll have no problem.

>somebody doesn't make a minority character
>people bitch(mostly white guilt rich kids)
>somebody does make minority character
>people bitch
Talagang buwisit sila.
>>
>>78415308
>You probably have no shortage of comics on the stands that speak to you
What does someone's skin color have to do with whether the comic speaks to me or not in a superhero book?
>>
>>78417214
Her father is American, legally that makes her an American citizen.
>>
>>78417449
This is the company that said Kamala was the first Muslim superhero. They either have no memory beyond last week or are relying on the fact that nobody working for the mainstream media knows or cares enough to factcheck these things.
>>
>>78416556

You have fucking Captain America fer crhrissakes, where are the Indonesians?
>>
>>78417959
Fuck that. Where's are my Chileans characters?. I demand satisfaction, I demand justice!
>>
>>78416630
>It says Mike Barr is writing, how's he

He wrote a lot of good Batman stuff during the 80's and some of the 90's, I think it's been a long time since he wrote anything though
>>
>>78417203
>Introducing minority characters
Fuck off casual most of these characters already existed
>>
>>78415308
If diversity means more great comics like Midnighter, I'm all for it.

If diversity means people calling me a sexist or racist because I don't like a poorly done character, I'm wholly against it.
>>
>>78416125
>generic shitpost
>supposed to successfully bait people
>>
>>78416320
What's not good about him? He's a fun sadistic fuck who in the end wants to do good with his violent impulses. He's also a huge ham.
Fucking deepfags.
>>
>>78416004
>And Transmetropolitan wasn't even good to begin with.

Oh, well I can't help your since you've got a bad case of shit taste.
>>
.>>78418522
The same thing happened with Teen Titans, if I recall correctly.

But it isn't too unusual to be that forward in thinking. "The Wire" was shot in 4:3 but formatted for 16:9 when widescreen TVs would eventually become the household norm.
>>
File: 1449663998227.jpg (60 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
1449663998227.jpg
60 KB, 250x250
>>78415308
Funny enough I agree with the second part.
Before any faggots here jump on me, I know some indie comics are more than just your usual capeshit, but still let me finish.
Manga has a great genre diversity, and if they're aiming to do something like that it would be great.
I can read manga about cooking, historical periods, the life of a musician, the life of a brazilian deliquent, grim war, manly stuff, cute stuff, fanservice, more realistic slice of life, murder mistery (without fucking superheroes), horror, and so many other things. Yes, Shounen, shoujo, and other things are also very common but doesn't change the fact that manga is more diverse overall.
Genre-wise at least, almost all characters are Japanese but they're so stylized people have no problem self-inserting anyways. Most manga readers identify with personalities (something everybody should do instead of race anyways).

So if DC wants to gain more genres, good for them. Superheroes have overstayed their century-long welcome super hard. I'm sick of them.
>>
>>78415308
>>We’re just going to come out and say it: Diversity matters. It matters on the page and behind it. In fact, the need to diversify just may be the single biggest challenge facing comics today.
Really? I thought the threat of Hollywood's profits taking over the industry and dictating how comics will go to satisfy the movie industry was one of the larger threats? How about comics being at incredibly low sales, even with the movies and tv shows "boosting" sales? How about videogames continuing their 25 year domination in the "What kids like" market? How about the big publishers rebooting all their titles since they've run out of ideas, so we can redo everyone's origin story again?

Fuck it, let's score some brownie points with the SJW crowd instead!
>>
>>78415717
Do you know of any good non action comic books? Genuinely curious.
>>
>>78416494
Make power girl Asian. Problem solved.
>>
>>78418839
it's because japanese people READ comics.
If japan had the same illiteracy problem like USA, you wouldn't have diverse genres.
>>
>>78415717
Prez isn't action. Neither is Gotham Academy. And I haven't read Starfire but it seemed just straight up comedy and not action.
There's stuff under Vertigo like Clean Room, Last Gang In Town or New Romancer.
There's stuff like Harrow County, Plutona, The Bunker.
Why are there not more? Look at the sales, action sells much much much much better.
>>
>>78418839
Different setting does not mean a different genre. Naruto is about ninjas, Bleach about soul reapers and One Piece is about pirates but they're all action shit. A lot of indies right now are action shit and just because the characters aren't referred to as superheroes they're still the same genre due to the execution of the story.
>>
>>78416004
>Prez
>tryhard garbage

Holy shit, how illiterate do you have to be if you honestly think this?
>>
>>78416932
Just piss poor and boring stories like most of everything Paul Cornell has written in recent years
>>
>>78415779
Brubaker and Phillips have some action but they are more noir
>>
>>78421176
detective shit? oh how original
>>
>>78416494
>jap
>wanting representation in american comics
go read manga
>>
If only diverse characters had flaws and acted like normal people. I was pumped for Whor and then I got her punching people because (I'm a stronk womyn! You mad?), and saying how fun it is to die of cancer. What a waste of a good potential and character design.
>>
>>78415308
>In fact, the need to diversify just may be the single biggest challenge facing comics today.
Not really, I'd say that's a scarcity of quality characterization, dialogue, stories and writing in general and an overall sense of directionless narrative to keep things relevant and relatable but otherwise meaningless.
>If you don’t agree, well, chances are that’s because you’re used to seeing yourself represented in the panels of your favorite books. You probably have no shortage of comics on the stands that speak to you.
Not really. I wouldn't read, view or play my media because it represents me. I indulge it because it's actually well made. Otherwise I see no reason to waste time or money in my life on it because of a shallow reflection. It's like buying a bunch of mirrors to hang up in an art gallery instead of paintings. I'm sure there's an audience for that sort of thing but the gallery is still lacking any substance.

Also short of Midnighter I'd say the fate of those other titles is actually indicative there isn't much room for any of that. Not because the hotel is exclusive, not because the hotel is fully booked, because the rooms are just sort of not all that. Different, diverse, but also pretty easy to dismiss without consequence.

So none of that is going to matter until someone actually has the capacity to make it matter and not just say it matters.
>>
>>78417363
Of course not. All these comic review sites have relationships with Marvel in exchange for exclusives or free 'press' shit that they won't jeopardize by not pushing the narrative.
>>
>There’s room for sharp political satires like Prez
>for all-ages comedies like Bizarro
>for punk-tinted conspiracy tales like Black Canary
>and hard sci-fi drawn from real world scenarios like The Omega Me
>There’s room for an out writer writing an openly gay hero like we have with Steve Orlando and Midnighter
> and for Lee Bermejo to look to the streets of today and completely reinvent a 75-year-old character into something like We Are Robin.
>GUISE THERE'S ROOM FOR ALL THESE BOOKS THAT SELL NEAR OR WELL-BELOW CANCELLATION NUMBERS REALLY ;_;
>>
>>78422138
Trade sales. Digital.

Diamond is the real challenge here.
>>
>>78422153
None of those books are anywhere near top digital sellers during the week of their release.
>>
>>78415308
>If you don’t agree, well, chances are that’s because you’re used to seeing yourself represented in the panels of your favorite books. You probably have no shortage of comics on the stands that speak to you.
Uh-huh. I've never read a single comic that 'speaks to me'. I've never seen a single character in any medium that represents anything that I am, and I don't care to.
Comics are cheap disposable entertainment. That's all they will ever be and all I ask of them. This forced diversity trend only serves to cheapen them further. In 10 years people will look back at this 'diverse' era and laugh at it, but right now the joke is getting old.
>>
ITT: hand wringing about DC having the nerve to pointing out that most heroes are straight white men.
Remember when /co/ was praising DC for doing diversity with more sincerity and talent than Marvel? When did that change?
>>
>>78422242
>When did that change?
About whenever you decided it did to plug your projection.
>>
>>78422242
With this post where they implied that if you don't buy their low-selling books, you're a bigot.
>>
>>78422242
>they don't do shit like this
>hurr DC are so stupid their marketing a shit so what if Marvel does ti THEY"RE WINNING DC could learn a thing or two

>they do shit like this
>FUCK YOU!!! Even though you point out how series like this have a place in your line and they're not here to replace all the straight white super heroes series I'm still offended that you acknowledge the fact that you have a diverse line up!

Don't pretend, there was no winning for DC in your mind, anything they did was a mistake for you.
>>
>>78422265
What? You never saw threads where DC was praised for doing diversity the "right" way (good stories staring minorities, actually hiring minority creators)?
>>78422270
Sorry some PR fluff offended you.
>>
>>78422321
>You never saw threads where DC was praised for doing diversity the "right" way
As many as criticized them for clumsy stints like
>Babs, I'm a tranny
and
>My lasso is weak to mansplanning
There isn't just one consensus on here unless you look for one to complain about specifically and ignore the rest.
>>
>>78422303
What makes you think I'm one those people who hold DC to a stupid double standard? Seriously, how did I imply that at all?
>>
>>78422367
>Seriously, how did I imply that at all
Read your post again. It's really fucking obvious.
>>
>>78422358
Your first example was before the DCYou (DC's real push for diversity) launch and your second example was from a non-canon digital comic that's now cancelled.
>>
>>78422394
I was saying that /co/ was one of few places to not gush about Marvel's shallow attempts at diversity.

I'm happy that DC released a bunch of interesting and well-written books, I just wish those books received better promotion. Is that clear?
>>
>>78415308
>But here’s the thing. Diversity isn’t just adding characters of different races, cultures, genders and sexualities to the DC Universe

weird, because that's all they and marvel seem to be doing, all the gestures none of the substance (with the exception of captain marvel, she was way overdue for that, and kamala khan, that was probably the best origin and early run since spiderman, and the only ethnic hero done right so far).
>>
>>78419874
>Fuck it, let's score some brownie points with the SJW crowd instead

Yea, and? Putting out quality books sure doesn't appeal to anyone, and the op statement is pretty much what /co/ has been saying DC should do.

Fuck, this is pretty much a repeat of the beginning of DCYou, where people complained DC was "trying too hard" with their diversity.
>>
>>78416320
>Last time someone tried to give him depth we've ended up with space-owl rape, anyway.

So you are going to ignore all of the original authority?
>>
>>78415823
It feels like the SJWs have become the boogeyman of almost every board, of the entire internet.

They're almost like stereotypical cartoon supervillians, with their simplistic, childish view of morality and their black/white "if you don't agree with me you're the enemy and must be destroyed" thinking.
>>
>>78423477
fart
>>
>>78423858
Yeah, and what's with the SJWs putting "fart" in their username?
>>
>>78422242
>When did that change?

The minute that became the new normal on /co/. We are all, if nothing else, a bunch of self-entitled, contrarian assholes here.
>>
>>78415720
Except they're still making plenty of cape books. God forbid they try other genres to bring in new audiences, because it's fucking obvious that the capeshit fans alone aren't buying enough books.
>>
>>78416048
People will pick it up for the diversity, they'll stay for the story/writing
>>
>>78415308
>But here’s the thing. Diversity isn’t just adding characters of different races, cultures, genders and sexualities to the DC Universe, it’s also telling stories that will appeal to different kinds of people.

LOL BUT MARVEL ALREADY DOES THAT, SHITLORD

KAMALA TALKING IN VIDEO GAME LANGUAGE CONNECTS WITH ME SO MUCH XD
>>
>>78417162
Cass isn't American. And Ryan Choi was raised in Hong Kong
>>
>>78415308
>DC launches a bold diverse line-up of new series to reach a broader audience!
>...most of which were cancelled within six issues because they don't sell like Batman, but small details.
>>
>>78422242
>When did that change?
When they did a press release about it.
If you're being genuine about this stuff then you shouldn't be tooting your horn about it. Just do it. I like diversity. I don't like assholes that think they should get a pat on the back for doing shit they were probably supposed to be doing years ago.

And Marvel is twice as guilty of this so its not even a console war thing.
>>
>>78425384
>When they did a press release about it.

If they don't do a press release then no one buys the damn books.
>>
>>78416193
>>78416361

Wouldn't he lose all sense of balance?
>>
>>78426100
Guy like him has a series of augmented redundancies anyway.
>>
>>78417040
It doesn't mean an easy life. It means easier relative to minorities. Whites are more successful than everyone except Asians (who just barely outearn them, even though higher education counts are much higher). Average poor whites make more than their poor black counterparts.
>>
>>78416978
What DC did was diversify the lineup of writers and artists, a move that is actually difficult and less easy money
>>
>Breaking up Apollo & Midnighter is diverse

fuck you, dcucks
>>
>>78426890
>they ruined muh ship
No, fuck you shipperfag.
>>
I don't give a fuck as long as the stories,art and characters are good.

That's all that matters.
>>
>>78427106
The stories, art and characters have been good for the most part.
>>
>>78426890
It was never going to work.
Dicknighter is the way, just accept it.
>>
>>78426890
Apollo is and always has been boring as fuck and at best just an accessory to whatever Midnighter's doing. He's the Hulkling to Midnighter's Wiccan.
>>
>>78427552
>implying Wiccan is interesting
Come on man, don't insult Midnighter like that. You're right that Apollo is boring as shit though. I could not give less of a fuck if Midnighter/Apollo are together or not, I just want a good comic. I'll rather have a good Midnighter solo series than the shitty Nu52 Stormwatch book where he's together with Apollo. People that refuse to read this book just because "m-muh ship is not together" are weird to me. Who cares? Are you a woman who only reads/watches shit for the romance?
>>
>>78426831
>Average poor whites make more than their poor black counterparts.

They do?
>>
>>78421099

Prez looks like tumblr trash, down to the cliche pink hair and fatty with a sidecut. I can't even believe people here give it a pass.
>>
>>78428097
>I haven't read the comic
Into the trash your opinion goes.
>>
>>78427937
From 1995, but pretty relevant to what we're discussing.
http://www.leftbusinessobserver.com/Race-and-money.html

This is in part due to the lack of home ownership, which, again, owes itself to some of the blatantly discriminatory practices of the market.

I am, apparently, part of the problem
>>
>>78426032
No one buys them WITH a press release.
>>
>>78427552
This kind of thinking is why Apollo continues to be boring. He just needs a writer who cares - personally, I found his almost breakdown when he found that he always dies in alternate dimensions great.
>>
People make way too big of a deal out of diversity. I don't read comics because I see a character who has the same skin color as me, I read them for good stories. I get that representation is important, but I don't think black people or women are gonna pick up a comic just because a black person or a woman is on the cover.
>>
>>78431663
>but I don't think black people or women are gonna pick up a comic just because a black person or a woman is on the cover.
People actually do that anon
>>
>>78422164
Midnighter usually is top 10-20 in the weeks it comes out
>>
>>78431697
for real? Like I dunno I might be out of the loop but I never wanted to go read or watch something just because I saw the character had the same skin color or gender as me. Maybe it's because I'm white and male and those are typically the most common people in movies, tv, comics etc. so I'm just use to always seeing them. But still, I think people are a lot smarter than just "oh Captain America is black now I'm gonna read his book!".
>>
>>78431737
Sadly, Midnighter is the only one out of the bunch that seems to do well digitally and on trade pre-orders.

I'm happy it is, but I wish Prez or Omega Men were like that too. At the end of the day, 90% of C-lister books will sell like ass whether it's trade/digital/floppies, cape fans are too fixated on A-listers and usually don't try anything new. It's not a matter of diversity or quality, it's just that C-listers don't sell. Don't know if I'm wrong or not in this observation, but from what I saw DC fans are even more averse to trying out new stuff compared to Marvel fans. They're really fixated on Batman/Justice League stuff only. With Marvel, you still have stuff like GotG or Ms Marvel that turn out to be hits. Am I wrong?
>>
>>78431976
Well GOTG is pretty much only selling because of Bendis. Non Bendis GOTG stuff was selling pretty damn low.
>>
>>78431784
I mean, when you see the media report about how thugs are destroying the fabric of America all the time, it's nice to read a book where the black guy is the hero, not the victim or someone's problem
>>
>>78432076
Bendis Iron Man dropped like a brick from #1 to #2 though, I'm not sure his selling power is that great.

Besides, let's say Johns is the next writer to do Prez. I highly doubt the sales would improve much, even with the top DC writer at the helm. DC fans are really not interested in books outside Batman and Justice League, unfortunately. At the end of the day, we should be happy we're getting even 12-15 issues of stuff like Dial H, Omega Men, Midnighter etc. I'll take it over some 30+ mediocre Wonder Woman or Flash run.
>>
>>78431784
Why do you think people watch Tyler Perry films/series?
>>
>>78431976
I think it's about the same for both companies really. There's Spidershit/Batshit and then everything else depending on creative team.
>>
>>78432215
Johns on Prez wouldn't be a blockbuster, but it would still improve the sales somewhat. Like at least to get it in that 20-30k range.
>>
>>78432609
Johns on Vibe still bombed on the debut issue at like 12k or something.

It doesn't matter.
>>
>>78415717
Fantagraphics, D&Q, Koyama, Nobrow, Oily, First Second, Picturebox, and hundreds of other publishers have got u covered
>>
>>78432664
>Johns on Vibe still bombed on the debut issue at like 12k or something.
it was around 27k

still not great but more than anyone would have expected from Vibe
>>
>>78432215
Aquaman under Johns was a huge seller.

>>78432664
He as barely on it for one issue... and #1 sold more than 20k.
>>
>>78432681
Aquaman is in no way a C-lister though.

20k+ for a 1st issue is not impressive at all, Omega Men sold over 30k for #1.
>>
>>78422321
>/co/ all believes one thing
>/co/ is one person
nigga
>>
File: 1450413207535.jpg (108 KB, 1024x779) Image search: [Google]
1450413207535.jpg
108 KB, 1024x779
Fuck this whole diversifying thing.

It always means more darker skinned characters with a few asians sprinkled about.

Writers don't have the skills/ability to enact some real diversification and make half their heroes female.
>>
>>78432723
It lost a lot of sales when he jumped off though.
>>
>>78432939
ok but what about the second paragraph
>>
>>78433041

I read it anon. And I completely agree.

But my point still stands. I'm just being a pessimist since I don't think they'll deliver. We'll just end up with some darker skinned characters and an asian.
>>
>>78415308
It doesn't matter DC will never convince SJWs to like thier comics
>>
How many Mexicans does DC have again?
I remember 4 but all of them are fucking nowhere to be found.

Is Jaime still in fucking limbo?
>>
>be black
>DC
>not enough costannza.jpg on the entire internet can cover this shit

I'm gonna go over this thread and just cover some of the more annoying crap you all are saying.

>>78415308
Thisa post in general is shitonlywhitepeoplesay.jpg

>>78415693
This guy gets it and there really don't need to be any posts beyond this.

>>78415709
I think you're misinterpreting his post.

>>78415712
lol.

>>78415717
Having a fight scene doesn't make it "action". That would make nearly 100% of movies "action films".

>>78415823
This poster is literally a faggot.

>>78416010
I'm not sure if I agree with this or not, but exposure to tumblr makes me think anti-diversity might be the lesser evil.

>>78416072
This guy gets it. It's literally NEVER actual black people behind this shit.

>>78416556
There's WAY MORE of us than asians. You're lying if you say otherwise.

>>78416878
No.

>>78416964
He's right and you know it. Don't play dumb.

>>78417040
You're just a moron though.

>>78417077
Did they literally say that?

>>78417277
>>78417363
Marvel literally has no non-white employees writing or drawing unless you count jews. DC has Jim Lee, Geoff Johns, a ton of Hispanics, etc.

>>78417521
She's not even middle eastern either. She's "muslim" the same way that Indonesians are "muslims" or Sammy Davis Jr. was "jewish".

>>78418839
DC used to have TONS of non-cape. Same with Marvel.

>>78422138
Says it all really.

>>78422242
Go back to tumblr, faggot.

>>78426831
>Whites are more successful than everyone except Asians (who just barely outearn them

Average income for Americans: 50k
Average income for whites (excluding jews): less than 50k
Average income for asians: over 70k
Average income for blacks: less than 50k
Average income for hispaniards: less than 50k
Average income for indians: 100k
Average income for CEOs: 110k
Average income for jews: 111k

cont.
>>
>>78433601
>>78428721
You're a cuck, faggot.

>>78431697
No we don't. The only superheroes that most blacks care about are Superman and especially Batman. Otherwise we're too busy watching DBZ for that cape shit.

>>78431784
>I think people are a lot smarter than just "oh Captain America is black now I'm gonna read his book!"

We are. And we don't care about Captain Falcon.

>>78432116
The fuck you talking about? Are you a white knight or an oreo?

>>78432399
Only black females do that.

>>78432939
>with a few asians sprinkled about

Usually means NO asians. And if they do add any it's only by turning the white martial artists chinese. Pro-tip: Asians HATE the martial arts stereotype. NO asians are in favor of that shit.
>>
>>78433434
Kyle
Montonya (the Question)
Bunker
Power Ring
Vibe (limbo)

Does E2 Hawkgirl count?
>>
>>78433601
>She's not even middle eastern either.

Middle Eastern or Arab doesn't equal muslim.
>>
>>78433627
>No we don't. The only superheroes that most blacks care about are Superman and especially Batman. Otherwise we're too busy watching DBZ for that cape shit.
You can say the same shit about every race retard. To say there aren't people that care about that shit is just stupid
>>
>>78433737
You know very well they're pushing her as "the first middle eastern superhero". Fucking tumblr regularly refers to her as "arab".
>>
>>78433775
>You can say the same shit about every race

No you can't. Superheroes are big business now in every visual medium EXCEPT comics, but blacks still don't give a shit unless it's Supes or Bats. We LOVE us some DBZ though.
>>
>>78433780
That shows more the fact that tumblr is filled with idiots than anything else.
>>
>>78433601
>i'm black so i can shill for racist morons and get away with it

Nobody cares. You're like the republican blacks that fox news hires to come spout their bullshit and offer a "black perspective" which is really just the frothy regurgitated diarrhea of the establishment. go back to your cabin, uncle tom.
>>
>>78435319
white faggot who's asspained that black people don't agree with sjws detected.

Have you ever actually been to a black neighborhood? Of course you haven't. We don't do all that gay/tranny/"diversity shit. That's you people. That's white shit. Nobody in the ghetto ever said "LE WE LE NEED LE MORE LE DIVERSITY".

Go back to fucking tumblr, you literal faggot.
>>
>>78435319
>sjws literally admit that when they say "black perspective" they mean THEIR perspective and that black people are only allowed to think or say or do what they're told to
>>
>>78416494
>Hiro Toymakermini fucking never
>no comic about a genius kid building giant robots saving neo-Tokyo and trying to get a handful of Power Girl's sweet titties
They could even form a team with the female Doctor Light and the Japanese Batman from Batman Inc (as long as he gets a Kamen Rider looking redesign that is).
Come on, I can't be the only one that thinks a book like that would be awesome. You could sell it as an all-ages book, if it got a show the toys would sell like .
Thread replies: 195
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.