[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
These three shows have some of the biggest fanbases for a cartoon
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 4
File: Untitled.png (177 KB, 767x346) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
177 KB, 767x346
These three shows have some of the biggest fanbases for a cartoon series currently airing right now. So why are the networks fucking them up so badly with hiatuses and scheduling? Korra also got fucked hard because of budget cuts and Nickelodeon giving them short seasons then renewing them unexpectedly, fucking with the flow of the story. Avatar was huge for Nick, so why sabotage Korra like that?

Seriously, do these networks WANT their best shows to fail?
>>
What you like most doesn't mean most liked overall or most profitable
>>
The fanbases deserved to be fucked in my opinion.
>>
>>78391818
Are you implying Adventure Time isn't CN's biggest cash cow right now? And that Gravity Falls isn't Disney's most popular cartoon, or at least was until it got shoved on their shitty premium channel.
>>
>>78391732
In the case of Gravity Falls, it's because Disneyw qs trying to drag it out for two reasons.

One, the shows days were numbered and they don't have a true replacement.

Two, they were trying to get Alex to change his mind.
>>
>>78391732
1) Even if the fanbases are big and vocal, it doesn't mean that they are actually drawing ratings (TTGO is more popular than any of them).
2) These shows, are, largely, finding fans outside of the intended demographic of kids and tweens. This is a business built around putting eyes on ads and people like us don't buy hotwheels or sock-em boppers or whatever is being shilled to kids now.
>>
>>78391888
Addendum to the point about ratings: I love Steven Universe dearly but I've never watched a single episode of it legally or bought merch. My viewership means nothing to them.
>>
>>78391883
I'm implying that having a new episode every week and airing it 6 times a day isnt the most profitable angle for them
>>
File: 1446777877665.jpg (10 KB, 267x200) Image search: [Google]
1446777877665.jpg
10 KB, 267x200
>>78391732
>Seriously, do these networks WANT their best shows to fail?

maybe, if that happened then they could get new super cheap canadian cartoons to replace them
>>
>>78391732
adventure time is CURRENTLY being fucked with, but for its first 5 seasons it had like, no more than 3 weeks of hiatus ever. They got 5 and a half seasons done in 3 years, then moved to a more sensible schedule after that. really that's more than anyone could ask for
gravity falls takes forever to make so there's no GOOD release schedule
SU... I dunno, it seems to release at a decent rate. Unfortunately it's not nearly as rewatchable as the others
>>
>>78391888
we would buy that shit if it was better-made. our-age-sorts love merch. but theyre trying to pawn off SHIT quality toys and they think kids will buy them. Well yeah briefly, but not for long. no parents are that stupid.

also for the love of god did you actually just use the word tween
>>
>>78391949
Do networks care purely about ratings now-a-days? Streaming has kind of phased TV out so I'm wondering if their business methods have changed or if they're still sticking by an old system that isn't working anymore.

Adventure Time got picked up because it got a ton of online views, and mostly by older-than-10-year-olds. So clearly they must have some other strategy going on than just relying on Nielsen ratings.
>>
>>78392121
>no more than 3 weeks of hiatus ever
Season 5 took over 2 years. You haven't a clue what you're talking about.
>>
>>78392253
Merchandise, mostly. I know thats a big part of CN's strategy, and that's why Nick keeps TMNT around.
>>
>>78392302
>Merchandise, mostly.
This just makes me wonder how the hell Uncle Grandpa has managed to last so long. You can't sell plushies of him nearly as well as Gems or Bears.
>>
File: It says you're a maverick.png (390 KB, 781x750) Image search: [Google]
It says you're a maverick.png
390 KB, 781x750
>>78392121
>SU...seems to release at a decent rate
Pic related, though I will give you rewatchability. There's just no reason to go back and watch any of it unless you're looking for DEEPEST LORE shit that doesn't matter anymore since it already happened.

>>78392335
Why don't we have plushies of fucking anyone, exactly?

Bears would sell like goddamn hotcakes.
>>
>>78392286
it was a double-length season. and that was the end of their accelerated period. But the first half of season 5, along with the prior 4 seasons, released at a heroic rate unmatched by anything since Power Rangers
>>
>>78394900
making merchandise profitable is fucking difficult. plastic prices keep on rising (though recently they should have gone down slightly), safety bullshit keeps getting more stringent, and plushes still have to be hand-assembled
>>
>>78395237
>But the first half of season 5, along with the prior 4 seasons, released at a heroic rate unmatched by anything since Power Rangers
Once a week for 6 months with only 11-minutes being shown at a time instead of the standard half hour slot that's been custom for decades is a "heroic rate" now.

If anything, they cheated by only showing one 11-minute episode at a time to try and "stretch out new eps".
>>
>>78391888
>These shows, are, largely, finding fans outside of the intended demographic of kids and tweens

Tumblr and pedophiles mostly.
>>
>>78391973
CN's been giving canada shows the shaft these days. the second have of grojband was online/boomerang only in the US, the last two total drama seasons have been burned over the course of a few weeks (though unlike ben 10 they aired the episodes over normal viewing times instead of 6 in the morning), numbchucks ended up being shafted to boomerang for the first season with the second never airing and now supernoobs is airing during the middle of the winter (where none of the other show's have premiers) and having its episodes burned off
>>
>>78395563
Huge numbers, then.
>>
>>78395563
SU and AT outright target Tumblr to the point where they even reference specific Tumblr memes. They know exactly what their audience is.
>>
>>78395563
So Tumblr and 4chan?
>>
>>78395685
That's true of the writers, but not the executives.
The writers know their fans, but the executives decide the intended audience.
>>
>>78396017
>The writers know their fans, but the executives decide the intended audience

IOW they're upset that adult neckbeards don't buy enough SU action figures.
>>
>>78391873
agreed. fuck all three of those shows and their fans
>>
>>78396198
They don't have the right merch; if they made Mabel plushies with ona holes, then they'd move something.

Know your audience as they say. :^)
>>
Cartoon Networks downfall was when Stu Snyder became president. He stated he didn't like cartoons nor understood their appeal. So he made an effort to remove as many cartoons as possible from CN. And when a new cartoon started to gain popularity it made him mad, because of the fact he couldn't grasp how something "childish" could be liked. Luckily he left, but the damage was done.
>>
>>78391732
Release schedules are largely decided by some arcane formula executives cooked up that has to do with when they can get the most viewers (and therefore most ad bucks). This means that no new episodes of the big shows are gonna be played in December, when kids are out of school and likely visiting relatives and watching X-Mas films and generally too distracted with holiday shit to maintain a normal schedule of TV watching. (This is also why shows go on hiatus during summer as well.)

Shows like Teen Titans Go are exempt from this because it's popular as fuck CN reruns it like 50 times a day, ensuring that sooner or later those kids'll see the episodes and the numbers still kill.

Also clearly Adventure Time has the network fucking with it because it's gone to shit in recent seasons and the only people still watching are manbabies who care more about the backstory of Ooo than humor and most of them just watch online and skip commercials anyway. YEAH I WENT THERE.
>>
>>78391732
Because they don't sell enough merchandise
>>
Because while yes they are very popular shows, the vast majority of the fans are teenagers and adults that watch them through torrents/streaming sites.

I really only watch the new episodes on the actual channels
>>
>>78396470
>Shows like Teen Titans Go are exempt from this
Actually TTG also has the winter hiatus
>>
File: 1446428311001.png (115 KB, 514x570) Image search: [Google]
1446428311001.png
115 KB, 514x570
>>78396296
>man who hates cartoons becomes leader of Cartoon Network.
>>
>>78391732
>Avatar was huge for Nick, so why sabotage Korra like that?

Korra was doing fine. It wasn't a hit but it was respectable enough.

Then season 3 happened. There wasn't anything wrong with season 3 but right around when Nick was going to start hyping it like, the first half the season leaked.

So Nick fucking buried the show and even took it off the air.
>>
>>78398679
Ratings dropped after season 1. Korra was a dud, while Nick had so much faith in it, it ordered 3 seasons ahead. Who even does it?
>>
>>78391732
because networks are afraid of money
Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.