[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Just binged this all a couple days ago and really liked it, what
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2
File: Bojack2.png (678 KB, 1273x851) Image search: [Google]
Bojack2.png
678 KB, 1273x851
Just binged this all a couple days ago and really liked it, what did /co/ think?
>>
>>78386378
we like it too, anon. we like it too.
>>
>>78386384
Oh ok cool
>>
>>78386557
I want /v/ to leave
>>
>>78386571
>/v/
Fuck of reddit
>>
It fails at a lot of things.

It's humor is weak, even with Will Arnett's stellar voice work, the writing falls flat on almost every attempt at a joke. Jokes like "Vince Adultman" belong as a one-off joke, instead of a running gag that only serve to undermine any of the seriousness in the dramatic aspects of the show.

Speaking of the drama, it's handled almost as poorly as the humor. With the exception of a few genuinely well done scenes like Bojack's reunion in New Mexico, the dramatic aspects are often far too blunt and interposed inbetween hackneyed attempts at humor. Bojack's flashbacks to his childhood are the worst offenders. What could have served as a poignant moment that highlights his traumatic childhood is made into a ponderous soliloquy, hitting the viewer over the head with the point as if more talking = more sadness..

It does deserve credit for at least attempting to employ continuity, overarching narratives and mature themes in an animated show. It's a step towards better adult animated content, but it is awfully mediocre in many respects.
>>
>>78386604
Well hot damn anon I recognize all your points here and thank you for contributing politely to the discussion.
>>
>>78386571
>/v/
seriously?
the most reddit of responses
if you knew anything about 4chan, calling people reddit is now /tv/'s favorite trick

just fucking leave /v/ alone
>>
>>78386557
>guaranteed discussion derail
Well played sir well played indeed
>>
>>78386571
its more of a /tv/ thing tbqh
>>
>>78386378
When i watch this, i get the vibe of the early Simpsons. Not to crack myself laughing, but with enough humor to relieve the drama.
>>
File: 205812522.png (510 KB, 812x522) Image search: [Google]
205812522.png
510 KB, 812x522
>>78386378
It's in my opinion one of the best animated adult shows right now if not in years.
The more i explain why i think that is the more i sounds like a pretentious cunt.

As for the humor aspects, these two retards nearly brought me to tears. Todd's zombie-Disneyland park in season two took it further
>>
did peanutbutter really forgive bojack or was it just for his tv show?
>>
>>78386604
Yeah. You have to detox after watching it. After a while, you realize the characters will never catch a break, so why bother with the next episode?
>>
>>78388997
>Wrapjacks
>Literally just rolled up pancakes with little syrup dipping cups
Why isn't this already a thing?
>>
>>78386604
>Comedy or drama
>It can only be one or the other!
>>
>>78389451
That was never implied.

It obviously tries to do both at the same time and because of awkward writing the comedic and dramatic elements are almost always at odds with each other. The writers do a clumsy job of letting a dramatic moment be dramatic without ruining the tone with a misplaced joke. That's why the "tell me I'm a good person" scene as well as the conclusion to Bojack's New Mexico foray stuck out so much in the series, because they were able to end on that note and they didn't have a chance to ruin the moment with a shoddy attempt at humor, as they do time after time throughout the show.

The show tries to do too much in both departments and consequently it feels like they're just stepping on each others toes. I think it comes down to the creative directer being too timid to try and break the mold of adult cartoons being first and foremost comedies that they constrain the show's potential with misplaced attempts at comedy.

Also Aaron Paul CANNOT voice act. Not only is he bad, he looks so much worse next to Will Arnett who voice acts circles around him. It's embarrassing that Paul calls himself an actor with the awful performance he puts in.
>>
>>78389648
What's your idea of comedy and drama blended well?

It still seems like you're saying that they don't mix well. Or that the show is trying to be a comedy, or trying to be a drama, instead of being what it is, a light comedy with character themed drama.

You say the director was too timid to try and break the mold, but what you're saying is that you want it to fit into the mold of a standard drama, instead of dark humor with more distance than usual between the dark and the humor. You're asking for grey, or black, when what the show seeks to be is dim light with contrasts of black.

In life comedy doesn't stop for drama, and drama doesn't stop for comedy. It all keeps going together. It's messy and awkward. Like Bojack.
>>
>>78390439
Sopranos, The Wire, Moral Orel, even Courage the Cowardly Dog does a better job.

The show is schizophrenic in that it wants to be both a silly sitcom comedy and a dark, personal character study. In trying to achieve both at the same time it makes each individual aspect of the show worse.

You know Clay's speech in Moral Orel, You know what they don't do after he says it? Make a flippant joke ruining the tension and the mood that had been building for episodes.

Bojack fails on more occasions than not to consummately blend its humor with its drama.
>>
>>78389648
How is Aaron Paul bad, I think he fits the character very well and is a good counter part to Will Arnett's rapid speech and bitter grumbling
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.