[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey /co/ what did you think of The Maxx tv show?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2
File: 66XmjSv.gif (867 KB, 528x405) Image search: [Google]
66XmjSv.gif
867 KB, 528x405
Hey /co/ what did you think of The Maxx tv show?
>>
When it came out I thought it was the greatest thing ever. It was the most different animation I'd bring exposed to, although Aeon Flux and The Head were around the same time and they were all on par. Recently watched it with a friend a few months back. Not being an American, a freelance social worker sounds really abstract. It was requires suspension of belief in so many aspects. But overall it's still a great concept and story.
>>
It's really different and good in a way few other series are. It deserves to be on all the infographics and recommendation lists, and because it came out in the nineties, it is!
>>
A mixed bag.

On the plus side, they followed the comic to a T, and used many panels of the comic in pan shots and the like. If you are a fan of Sam Kieth like I am, this makes for a pretty show. With the possible exception of Sarah, I thought the VA's were well cast, with everyone fitting the role perfectly.

On the downside, they only covered the first half of the plotline, and shoehorned in an ending to wrap things up even though nothing gets wrapped up or explained by it. There are a few minor hints thrown in, but unless you read the comics you really wouldn't understand what was being said. That being said, I greatly enjoyed watching it when it first aired, since I always felt like the next episode was going to explain more, although it left me confused at the end. Also Sam's issues with women injects itself into the writing at awkward times with random rants about feminism. And while I do love Sam's art, I do wish they had put a little more animation into the series, rather than have so many static scenes.

While damn good and very entertaining, it suffers from being cut off too early which turns the plot into a jumbled mess. As such, it feels like a 13 episode advertisement for the comic series. I'll never understand why MTV didn't just ride it out till the end of the plot arc, but at least we got what we did.

7/10, but 1/10 of that is nostalgia talking. A fine series, but you are better off reading the comics and then watching the series if you wanna see an animated version.
>>
I liked it but didn't watch it when it was on the air or coming out. I saw it years later. Aside from it's own adult oriented creepy cartoon level entertainment, I liked it because it fit nicely into a paradigm from a RPG game series "Changeling the Dreaming" from Whitewolf publishing. Looking at it through that lense made the viewing more enjoyable and slightly more sensible.
>>
>>78369607
> Sam's issues with women injects itself into the writing at awkward times
I'm pretty sure that Mr. Gone, a serial rapist and general jerk, was not meant to be the author's mouth piece.
Or am I misunderstanding your meaning?
>>
>>78367089
Greatest.
>>
>>78367089
i loved it though i had never read the comics

if i wanted to pick up the comics what issue does the show end at, or should i just read from the beginning?
>>
>>78374907
The comic and toon follow the same paths until, I wanna say issue #11. But you might as well read from the start.
>>
>>78375134
ok cool thanks
>>
>>78371666
No, most of Sam's POV comes out of Julia, and to an extent Sarah. Trust me, if you knew of Sam's other work, you wouldn't have ever guessed Mr. Gone. Check out Ojo or My Inner Bimbo for some more details about Sam's issues.
>>
>>78375987
As I haven't read either of those, but now know which characters your referring to, would you mind elaborating?
What about Julia and Sarah's narrative deals with Sam's lady issues in awkward ways?
Like I legit wanna talk about this, but I need to know what you're specifically talking about.
>>
File: Maxx1080p.gif (151 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Maxx1080p.gif
151 KB, 1920x1080
>>78367089
Somehow this seemed like it deserved to be a 1080p wallpaper.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.