[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do we make an action cartoon? A successful action cartoon?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 3
File: lenny-the-simpsons.jpg (22 KB, 395x346) Image search: [Google]
lenny-the-simpsons.jpg
22 KB, 395x346
How do we make an action cartoon?

A successful action cartoon?
>>
>>78362554
Think about the merch when creating the concept. Give the show the ability to make money for whoever produced it, because that's how it's most likely to stay on the air.
And that doesn't necessarily just mean toys, just shit you can sell to people.
>>
>>78362554
>go to japan
>work on anime with some weebs
>after 10 years or so come back to glorious usa
>make western cartoon with action so weebs like you can eat it up on toonami.
>>
>>78362554
Well it depends on what we define an action cartoon as. One could argue that Pop-eye was a successful action cartoon.
>>
Instead of focusing on trying to artificially raise the stakes by introducing bigger villains with more destructive powers, we focus on the hero getting stuck in ridiculous situations and we think up clever ways to get him out of them.
>>
By not airing them cartoon network.
>>
>>78362615
Actually, I'd have to say a majority of the anime action scenes aren't that great, compared to, say, Avatar. The choreography is often too flashy for its own good, creating sequences that doesn't flow naturally, and there is an over reliance on motion lines, which makes for messy choreography and a cluttered screen.
>>
Make it based on a high grossing IP like SW
>>
>>78362614
This.
Ben 10 has a fuckton of merch and toys and it got 4 series with multiple seasons each and a reboot on the way.
>>
>>78362554

Go to Japan.
>>
Go back in time and get H.R Giger to help with designs for an Alien cartoon.
>>
>>78362554
Toys, from a good manufacturer.
>>
File: mfw I have no face.png (349 KB, 729x458) Image search: [Google]
mfw I have no face.png
349 KB, 729x458
>>78363349
>Alien cartoon
Ah, au, si,... How the fuck would that even work?
>>
Try and market it to someone who's actually allowed to watch action. And I mean action, like with real stakes and real violence. Maybe if you can convince them to watch, they will.
Live-action shows don't need merch.

But who would watch neutered, episodic underwritten crap that doesn't level to live-action shows in term of moral complexity or intrigue?
>>
>>78363411
Tell stories about the shit the company does to people who aren't Ripley. Also stories about other alien races that deal with the xenomorphs. All designed to scar children for life.
>>
>>78363380
Do better manufactured toys sell significantly better or are you just asking for yourself?
Because as a kid I wasn't that discernate about toy quality.
>>
>>78363418
It's nice to say "market it to adults", but that doesn't mean adults would actually watch it. There is a stigma against "serious" cartoons.
Kids are a safer bet if you want a succesful show.
>>
>>78363411
Like the ghostbusters cartoon but in space? They'd probably need to introduce more alien races.
>>
>>78363464
>>78363581
These are good ideas, but I was talking about the fact that one of the Xenomorphs' life stages is called Chestburster for a very good reason.
>>
>>78363516
I'm not sure kids are viable audience anymore.
>>
>>78363636
Sure they are, much more than adults.
There are plenty of examples of succesful kid action shows, the fact that your favorite got cancelled before its end doesn't change that.

And it's not like adults have demonstrated to be that viable an audience for action cartoons either.
>>
>>78363617
Do that in silhouette or offscreen. They made a Highlander cartoon which is all about fucking decapitation, they can do this.
>>
>>78363735
>They made a Highlander cartoon which is all about fucking decapitation
Wait, what the fuck? Really?
>>
>>78363760
Back in the late 80s early 90s.The main character had an annoying kid sister with red hair and his mentor was a based Spanish dude.
>>
>>78362554
basically you have to get so much hype that you are considered an acceptable risk
also get a network who is severely on your side, and ready to ignore the people who call in to bitch about violence, since those people basically have no power unless you give it to them
get enough hype that people buy your merch, and for god's sake get a decent company to produce it. e.g. not jazwares or playmates
>>
Be vocal about it, buy all the merch you can and get all your friends to buy a lot of merch too.
>>
Easy, make a time machine and go back to any point between 1986 and 2004
>>
File: 1446068488928.png (658 KB, 987x847) Image search: [Google]
1446068488928.png
658 KB, 987x847
Disguise the action behind some lore, throw in multiethnic characters and maybe the occasional song
>>
The final step is to gender swap every character
>>
I remember this huge thread about pitching a detective skeleton cartoon with an animated Hellboy kind of vibe. He would solve paranormal problems in a ghost town and had a werewolf as a pet/assistant kind of. So many bone puns. What could've been.
>>
>>78364545
>detective skeleton
Adult Swim should make this
>>
>>78362554
Add melodrama, DEEPEST LORE backstory and characters that don't fit into the traditional molds of society. With all that, you can sneak action in
>>
>>78364497
Can we have characters that actually look good?
>>
Make it a police procedural you can churn out for years and years.
>>
>>78362893
That's almost entirely an issue of budget.
>>
>>78366296
No
>>
>>78366296
Too expensive to be successful, sorry.
Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.