[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Anyone else miss this Ms. Marvel? She was so much more interesting
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 251
File: drinking-carol-danvers.jpg (37 KB, 324x600) Image search: [Google]
drinking-carol-danvers.jpg
37 KB, 324x600
Anyone else miss this Ms. Marvel? She was so much more interesting when she played the role of the damaged supporting character and failed hero that reflected the darker underside of the Avengers nobody wanted to face. The Avengers needs characters like Danvers and Pym to build contrasts in how the life of a superhero turns out in the end.
>>
>>78342154
>anyone care about Carol
nope
>>
>>78342166
I do. I also care about Captain Mar-Vell
>>
File: 240.jpg (15 KB, 240x240) Image search: [Google]
240.jpg
15 KB, 240x240
This is also objectively her best costume
>>
Actually been meaning to go back and read about that carol, from before they made her as bland as humanly possible. Some of the comics I've seen posted look genuinely decent.
>>
File: laughing problematics.jpg (49 KB, 676x720) Image search: [Google]
laughing problematics.jpg
49 KB, 676x720
>>78342154
>She was so much more interesting
>Carol Danvers
>Interesting
The only times Ms Marvel has been interesting is when someone other than Carol has carried the Title.

or in EMH
>>
>>78342166
This desu

Though her being a turbobitch and sometimes a failure is more interesting than her personality being I LOVE JET PLANES
>>
>>78342547
Same thing for the Captain Marvel title. I agree anon.
>>
>>78342547
That simply isn't true. She is actually made inadvertently interesting by the roller coaster of malicious writing and editorial mandates just like Pym
>>
File: smmm16.jpg (106 KB, 719x335) Image search: [Google]
smmm16.jpg
106 KB, 719x335
>>78342154
The Carol I love is the Carol that smashes Iron Man through a plane. The Carol who asks Spider-Man on a date.

The Carol who drinks her problems away.
>>
Carol USED to be
>an alcoholic
>a veteran
>someone who followed authority regardless of morality
>riddled with PTSD from her encounters with Rouge.
>someone who LOVED violence to a kind of uncomfortable degree

Now she is
>nice

She was complex and kind of shitty BEFORE, and that's what made her a great character. Now she's been GUTTED to make her less "problematic" to appeal to tumblords.
>>
>>78342154

She was interesting in the way that that hot girl you met in the club sporting D-Cup cleavage is "interesting".

Meanwhile the current Carol Danvers is disinteresting in the way that the same girl is 'disinteresting' when she puts on more clothes and is no longer flirting with you.

In short: she was never interesting, she was just hot.
>>
>>78342620
>Put on your best outfit and get ready to put out.
>>
>>78342641
She was interesting in the same way Hank Pym was interesting, in that she was a colossal fuck-up who's life is defined by a series of poor choices and misfortune.
>>
>>
File: tumblr_neuu7g6yvN1r779gqo3_500.png (347 KB, 500x371) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_neuu7g6yvN1r779gqo3_500.png
347 KB, 500x371
>>78342702
And then
>>
>>78342625
Hey man, Carol isn't just nice.

KSD Carol really likes flying and jet planes too.
>>
File: tumblr_inline_nehsep0mVn1r3qjhr.png (341 KB, 500x330) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_inline_nehsep0mVn1r3qjhr.png
341 KB, 500x330
>>
>>
>>78342625
>a great character

Woah there anon, let's not go top far.
>>
>>78342729
She also has a cat. And probably a tumblr blog.
>>
>>78342625
The most definitive aspect of her character in my opinion is her total lack of faith in her own intuition and her own ability to determine what is right and what is wrong, which leads her to staunchly adhere to the rule of the established authority. It also leads her to drink until she's blacked out enough to a handle this kind of life
>>
File: tumblr_mkanoh9v9o1qhsiyqo1_1280.jpg (386 KB, 952x1024) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_mkanoh9v9o1qhsiyqo1_1280.jpg
386 KB, 952x1024
I miss the old Carol.
>>
>>78342869
Oh shit how could I have forgotten about the fucking cat.
>>
>>78342840
Maybe not great, but at least interesting as a character who was wrecked mentally and emotionally from living the life of an Avenger.
>>
>>78342876
Yeah, no way is Marvel going to allow their token female movie have a lead like that.
>>
>>78342942
Iron Man is pretty sociopathic and damaged as a character. I don't see why Carol couldn't be as well
>>
/co/ only hates Carol because how dare anyone take away from their new brown DIVERSE interesting MUSLIM character?!

Soon Sharia law will come to america, and /co/mblr will waddle out into the streets and applaud.
>>
>>78342942
That'd be her character arc.
>>
>>78342970
>token female
>>
>>78342971
Be more sublte
>>
>>78342942
It bothers me that to some people "strong" female character means "flawless".

Strong characters have flaws. Sometimes crippling flaws. It's more rewarding when we see characters overcome obstacles, even self-inflicted ones.
>>
>>78342986
Don't write her as a token then
>>
>>78342971
If that were true, /pol/, then wouldn't we dislike Karla just as much? You know, the other blonde white woman to take the title if Ms. Marvel but was much more enjoyable?
>>
>>78343035
Black Widow, Wasp, and Scarlet Witch are her only competition, and only one of those is in a movie title. And they already fucked Black Widow up by making her inconsistent and mostly bland.
>>
File: das it mane.jpg (213 KB, 1395x1492) Image search: [Google]
das it mane.jpg
213 KB, 1395x1492
>>78343009
>It bothers me that to some people "strong" female character means "flawless".

aka Rey from TFA.

I don't get it. There's nothing more boring or dull than an invulnerable character with nothing at stake played completely straight, and yet people shrilly defend it when it's a female character as if it makes a good "role model."

If female characters have to be boring and no one ends up buying them, you're not going to have many female characters at all. What would be the point?
>>
i never got why people were all "FINALLY, A FEMALE IS CAPTAIN MARVEL WE ARE FREE OF OPPRESSION" when there was a fucking black female captain marvel before and she's way more interesting than carol danvers
>>
>>78343110
Because a lot of 20-something white women are fucking retarded.
>>
>>78343110
She was black. You can be black or a woman, but not both. Black women are the absolute worst demographic of people to target
>>
>>78343110
Not only was there a Black one, there was also a Lesbian one. I genuinely want Gunn to include Phyla-Vell in Guardians 2, and I even kind of hope she introduces herself as Captain Marvel just to fuck with casuals. Plus, they've gotta keep the gag of a character nobody's ever heard of going.
>>
>>78343165
fucking white people
>>
>>78343009
There was a great article about this that surprised /co/ when it was linked her. It was pretty much bashing all the new female titles like Batgirl, KSD Carol, female Thor I think, etc for the female characters being too focused on being a "good role model" and were boring superheroines as a result. They used Renee Montoya as a good example of a great female character who is flawed and relatable to some.

>>78343110
There was a black and a gay Captain Marvel but of course people and Marvel want to latch onto the straight white female Captain Marvel whose personality is one of the blandest things ever. Same with female Thor. Blonde white woman who is the pinnacle of empowerment because barely had a personality for 8 issues.
>>
>>78343110

White SJWs don't REALLY care about minorities, they just have to lump them in so no one calls them out for being racist or selfish when they solely stand up for the rights of white women and LGBTs.
>>
File: callisto3.jpg (147 KB, 600x916) Image search: [Google]
callisto3.jpg
147 KB, 600x916
>>78343176
I seriously don't get why people think a character needs to look or act like you do in order for you to like them in order for the character to appeal to them. From when I was young up until now, Storm has been one of my favorite superheroes, and it was because shit like this, not because I felt like I could self insert as her
>>
>>78343278
>role models
This is a great way of putting it. They're trying to make these characters role models, when they shouldn't be.

REAL people should aspire to be role models. Fictional characters shouldn't be, save for VERY few exceptions.
>>
>>78343087
Honestly, so what? Why is it even a big deal that she's a woman and a superhero? She doesn't need to be a token female
>>
>>78342154
has anyone readd carol in busiek's iron man?
that's what I call a character.
>>
>>78343192
Seriously. We're the worst. All the self imposed guilt makes us into such whiny pussies.
>>
>>78343396
I know.

But they're going to treat her like it anyway.
>>
>>78343394
Heroes are supposed to have very real and destructive flaws. If you read the Bible, the Israelite heroes commit the worst sins imaginable and suffer great consequences for them. They make a mess of what they're given every single time. The stories were more warnings of what not to do than how you should live your life.

King David, one of the greatest heroic figures in the entirety of literature, ultimately brought the sword upon his own house and drove the unites Kingdom of Israel into a civil war it never fully recovered from by his own sinful actions.

Making devastating self inflicted mistakes, then growing from them is an important part of being a hero
>>
>>78342154
There are reasons Pym is my fav hero and why Danvers (at this point) was one of my top ones. I would rather read damaged people than perfect people.
>>
>>78343353
Im not sure people actually feel that way, they're just told they should so they naturally shy away from things obviously not targetef at them. Becomes a sort of self fulfilling prophecy bit
>>
File: booty dog.jpg (133 KB, 902x600) Image search: [Google]
booty dog.jpg
133 KB, 902x600
>>78343394
And even then, what good is a role model that doesn't overcome some adversity or personal flaws?
>>
>>78343590
I feel like it's narcissism more than anything. These people only want to see characters that act like them, look like them and live lives similar to theirs
>>
>>78343423
Or Reeds run, she has a lot of problems in that one. Some of them are shit like her eating salad but Reed figured it out and made her eat junk food on Spider-Date. She has been hit or miss but I think Reed managed to make more hit than miss
>>
>>78343353
People who do that are mostly are huge character fags and are into characters more than the medium. That's what wrong with capeshit today. The characters are bigger than the medium. People love to relate superficially to the characters than their nature or struggle.

Once you could like green Martians or alien GLs without looking like them. Today people are alienated by Superman because he isn't a human.
>>
>>78343742
Reed's run is especially hilarious in hindsight, since it was a recurring theme in that run that Carol wanted to be the best hero around, like she read on Host Of M. Now, come editorial mandate, she is, and the publicist she had in that run is nowhere to be found.
>>
File: image.jpg (437 KB, 800x1236) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
437 KB, 800x1236
>>
>>78342166
Better than Ms. Terrorist.
>>
>>78342415
My nigga.
>>
File: image.jpg (231 KB, 488x750) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
231 KB, 488x750
>>78342415
>>
>>78342154
Miss?, no, but it was way more interesting than the useless generic military cunt we have now, not that's something hard to do but still.
>>
>>78343110
Monica was such a great character under Stern. It's a shame that Ewing only uses her as window dressing. Also, the Land hair was terrible.
>>
>>78343179
>I genuinely want Gunn to include Phyla-Vell in Guardians 2, and I even kind of hope she introduces herself as Captain Marvel just to fuck with casuals.
I doubt it. He's gonna pick Mantis as the more zany character and Starhawk is probably Quill's dad. He's not gonna introduce Phyla, a much more grounded character.
>>
>>78343819
In all of their history, has Marvel ever displayed such a consistent disregard for their own continuity and established characterizations across the board as these past few years?

Because these days, wherever I look, all I see is characters suddenly behaving completely unlike themselves for the sake of marketability and writer convenience. For clearance, I'm not talking about a new take on established heroes or a title changing hands. I'm talking about a character suddenly being fundamentally different from anything that came before for no reason given in the story.
>>
File: SBZXr7z.gif (1 MB, 300x225) Image search: [Google]
SBZXr7z.gif
1 MB, 300x225
>>78342154
>implying Carol Danvers was ever intresting
>>
>>78342625
You forgot her xenophobia thanks to the Brood. Carol really hated aliens
>>
>>78342908
Fuckface?
>>
>>78344706
Was it all aliens? Or just the Brood and the Skrull?
>>
>>78344935
Just those 2.
>>
>>78344950
I thought she hated the Kree too? Besides Mar-vell
>>
>>78344964
The Kree gave her superpowers. I am pretty sure she does not hate them. I might be wrong though.
>>
>>78343176
Which sucks because I like black female characters.
>>
>>78344738
Chewie.
>>
>>78345025
They didn't give her powers, she got them from an explosion that made her half Kree since Mar-Vell was near by when it happened
>>
>>78345132
Nope,she got transported to the Kree planet,was put in some sort of pod,and she became half Kree.
>>
File: fc,550x550,black.jpg (46 KB, 550x550) Image search: [Google]
fc,550x550,black.jpg
46 KB, 550x550
>>78344706
The more I think about it, the more I realize that Carol is pretty much a Starship Troopers character
>>
>>78344935
>>
>>
>>
>>78345166
>Captain Marvel's mortal enemy, Colonel Yon-Rogg kidnapped Carol, using her as bait in his conflict with Mar-vell. In the course of the battle, Carol and Mar-vell were caught in the explosion of a Kree Psyche-Magneton device. The energy bombardment somehow caused Carol’s genetic structure to be melded with Mar-vell's. While Mar-vell was apparently unaltered by the event, Carol was now a perfect hybrid of Kree and human genes. In addition, she possessed all of Mar-vell's Kree knowledge and training. Through this transformation, Ms. Marvel was born.

Taken from Marvel's website. I don't know what origin you're talking about
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>78345254
I think he's talking about her Binary powers, but that was the Brood, I think.
>>
>>
>>78345288
Yeah the Brood experimented on her in Uncanny X-Men
>>
>>78345243
Rape?
>>
>>
>>78345309
tentacle
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>78345228
> While looking for her missing boyfriend Carol bangs another Avenger
Classy
>>
>>
>>
Captain Marvel!Carol is the perfect example of people praising a character's look instead of the actual character.

The AV Club called out the Carol Corp on the bullshit and it was glorious.
>>
>>
>>
>>78342154
I liked her Civil War run. She really was like a Hal/Tony mixture.Shame she never teamed up with Sentry and Moon Knight.
>>
>>
>>78345372
She and Simon had a bit of a thing the entire run.
>>
File: 1389306214388.jpg (76 KB, 640x512) Image search: [Google]
1389306214388.jpg
76 KB, 640x512
>>78345199
>high ranking member of the army
>huge character flaws
>hates aliens
Put her in Starship Troopers and she would be to Bugs what Dr Manhatten was to Nam.
>>
>>
>>78345398
AV Club called them out on several things, like that most of them don't buy it they either pirate it or share digital copies.
>>
>>
>>
>>78345346
This is a fairly definitive page for Carol. She isn't an existential thinker like Captain America who is always contemplating who it is he really is fighting for and why, all she wants is to be directed to the front line. Her whole world becomes the fight, and nothing else exists outside of it for those brief moments of intensity
>>
>>
>>78345477
agreed
>>
>>78342840
Great doesn't necessarily mean likable or even memorable.
>>
>>78345243
>This is the way the world ends
>Not with a whimper
>But with a gangbang
>>
File: diomedesaphrodite.jpg (44 KB, 770x523) Image search: [Google]
diomedesaphrodite.jpg
44 KB, 770x523
>>78345538
Diomedes is proof of that. He's one of the greatest heroes of the Iliad, yet his main role in the story is getting ignored and undervalued by all the other heroes
>>
>>78345448
And it. Was. Glorious.
>>
>>78345612
>Diomedes is proof of that. He's one of the greatest heroes
I hear you. Go ahead.
>>
>>78345448
source?
>>
>>78345860
http://www.avclub.com/article/marvel-learned-wrong-lessons-carol-corps-218003

>Even a casual glance at the Carol Corps online demonstrates two things: the group isn’t a purchasing powerhouse, and it isn’t really the Carol Corps. One of the benefits of buying a Marvel monthly title is that they often come with a free digital download code for the same issue, allowing people to have both the physical and the digital copy of their purchase. Early on, it was exciting to see people offering their digital codes to others, drawing in new readers and showing that comics are for everyone. Any comics fan knows that the easiest and fastest way to convert a friend is to lend them something to read. But comics can get expensive. It’s hard to tell because no data exists to demonstrate digital code swapping, but this practice appears to be in integral part of the Carol Corps. It’s difficult to argue that the Carol Corps will be the reason that Captain Marvel can succeed as the first female-led movie in the Marvel Cinematic Universe if the fan base doesn’t even show up to buy the book.

>Even more remarkable is that the longer you look at this group of women the more it becomes clear that they aren’t really the Carol Corps—they’re the Kelly Sue Corps.
>>
>>78345896
>they aren’t really the Carol Corps—they’re the Kelly Sue Corps.
It'll be interesting to see what the sales/praise for Carol's relaunched book will be, because KSD does seem to be THE female writer these days, kinda like how Simone was that a few years ago.
>>
>>78345935
>It'll be interesting to see what the sales/praise for Carol's relaunched book will be
It would be nice if she could acquire some parts of her personality again. Though I don't really expect it of the Agent Carter writers.
I do expect them to dial it all back a bit and put something more interesting in there again.
When does it launch, by the way?
>>
>>78345664
BRUTHA I AM PINNED HERE
>>
>>78345254
Oh I was talking about her Binary incarnation. My bad.
>>
I'm just saying that Kamala could have far more interesting interactions with Dr Sofen.
Psychotic narcissism is so much more interesting to watch than humble heroism.
>>
>>78346072
Kamala met Dr Sofen?

When?? I must have missed that one.
>>
I think the main issue is that Ms. Marvel isn't really suited for a main character role. This isn't a bad thing in my opinion. She just shines more as a supporting character in the Avengers.

Storm on the other hand is prime protagonist material, yet Marvel throw that opportunity away like it was trash. She could have easily risen to a similar level of prominence and individuation from the X-Men as Wolverine if anyone at Marvel actually wanted to. She's such a unique and underutilized character
>>
>>78346140
I remember when they barely pushed her solo and it got cancelled before #12 due to poor sales.

Meanwhile they push Carol so hard and she still had to get relaunched twice.
>>
>>78346178

Capt Marvel v2 was better than Pak reminding me of really good Claremont stories
>>
>>78346112
She didn't. Thus the subjunctive.
>>
>>78346238
"Could have" implies that they already had a interaction,contextually.
>>
>>78345896
I liked reading this. She's starting to realize that fans are the absolute worst thing for ongoing stories. Collectivism destroys the capacity people have to appreciate artistic expression of individuals.

Women that are involved in feminism too often are trapped in the chains of slave morality, where any time a great woman emerges, she must be made to represent the whole of all women at the expense of what made her great to begin with. They want any uniqueness or power earned by a woman to be shared amongst all women.

This whole ideology runs counter to what superheroes are all about, which is a near Nietzschean will to power celebration of individual greatness over the masses
>>
>>78343009
>It bothers me that to some people "strong" female character means "flawless".
Welcome to post-modern storytelling, where such devices as The Bechdel Test are treated seriously and as fundamental narrative rules.
>>
File: il_570xN.552293578_eno0.jpg (118 KB, 570x785) Image search: [Google]
il_570xN.552293578_eno0.jpg
118 KB, 570x785
>>78346316
This picture sums it all up right here. Might as well be a communist propoganda picture inviting you to join the proletariat collective
>>
File: vietnam-propaganda-poster.jpg (396 KB, 1135x1600) Image search: [Google]
vietnam-propaganda-poster.jpg
396 KB, 1135x1600
>>78346379
I mean if you really look at her, Carol has always been a right wing conservative woman who would be far more likely to enjoy the works of Ayn Rand than any works of leftist ideology
>>
>Hothead
>Hit first, think later mentality
>IQ of a guacamole
>Ace Pilot
>Fantastic arse

Would Carol get along well with Hal?
>>
>>78346506
They would hate each other until they could team up to take down some alien criminal scum together. They'd be hyper competitive rivals
>>
>>78346506
No, Hal is too sub.
>>
>>78346574
If Carol were still a complete turbobitch, it would work out.
>>
>>78345376
I haven't read her new shit but is she still this much of a blood knight?
>>
>>78343179
I hope it's straight white hot current marvel with the butch dyke haircut.

But I also hope she's a huge bitch who inherited Mar-vell's title after he died tragically and heroically and has to learn to love the things she hates to be more like the original guy. alchoholism would be nice too.
>>
>>78346604
She likes cats, does that count?
>>
>>78345336
>that arm
>>
>>78346449
Given that one of her best friends is not only a gypsy, but she was a mutant as well, and she was an explicit feminist in her original solo (back in the 70's), I doubt she was as right wind conservative as some people would suggest. More conservative than Cap, probably, but that's not saying much.
>>
>>78346641
Carols the kind of woman that has a cat that hates her because she forgets to feed and take care of it when she's getting black out drunk. She isn't a responsible woman with her own life, let alone with the life of a pet.
>>
>>78346697
She almost killed Lockjaw while she was drunk, right?
>>
>>78345376
Bitch is crazy. Marvel ruined her.
>>
>>78346680
What makes you think a right wing person can't be a gypsy or a feminist? It takes all kinds you know
>>
>>78346629
You know how we're getting a lot of movies now where the story isn't actually focused on the main character, but actually one of the supporting characters?
Like Rey in Force Awakens, Furiosa in Fury Road, and Ellie in The Last of Us? I kind of hope that's the case in Captain Marvel. Carol is both the main character and the primary viewpoint character, but its Mar-Vell's story. Maybe even tie his story in with a character arc for Carol, where the alien who betrayed his people for a planet he barely knows about helps the soldier who doesn't seem to have any drive in her life besides following orders.
>>
>>78346747
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hcFEIW8Ev7s
>>
>>78346730
Right? Crazy drunk violent Carol >>> SJW Carol
>>
>>78346747
When was the last time you saw gay right-wingers, or atheist right-wingers, or liberal right-wingers?
>>
File: zeyroggs3.jpg (49 KB, 226x442) Image search: [Google]
zeyroggs3.jpg
49 KB, 226x442
>>78346761
I like that idea. Mar-Vell seeing something in Carol that even she isn't aware of that makes him believe earth is worth sacrificing his life for would make for a great story.

With Zey-Rogg as the villain of course
>>
>>78346795
Log Cabin Republicans & GOProud for the first.
>>
>>78346795
I've met right wing people from all walks of life, and a lot of them are the most bizarre and eccentric people I've ever met. I think you're confusing mainstream conservative types with the radical alt Right that I'm talking about, which is comprised of weirdo occultists, artists, and the occasional literal insane person who all practice tantric sex and take psychedelics.
>>
>>78346761
I know what you're saying and love it, overall, I believe Mar-vell is too important to cut out. He was like Superman, but he died, and the torch was passed to her despite all these flaws.

But I think ultimately, she's going to first need to make an appearance in a gaurdians movie as a supporting character before we get to see her film.

I like the idea of this woman struggling with the idea that he thought she was worthy of this gift despite loving the war she's in, thinking maybe he was wrong.
>>
>>78345935
Isn't Simone still prominent?
>>
>>78345398

link?
>>
>>78347092
Not as much as she used to be, but yes.
>>
>>78347239
see
>>78345896
>>
I miss this Ms. Marvel.
>>
>>78342453

Kurt Busiek is the tits.
>>
File: Carol_Danvers_(Earth-4732).jpg (59 KB, 244x450) Image search: [Google]
Carol_Danvers_(Earth-4732).jpg
59 KB, 244x450
>>78347323

This was supposed to have this image attached.
>>
>>78343110

Most of the people (and, infuriatingly, the reporters) who talk about this kind of crap and how problematic and prejudiced comics culture are haven't actually read anything published before the 90s, and even then, very little before the double-ohs.
>>
>>78347589

Whoever made this sucks at image manipulation
>>
>>78347791
Bad coloring.
>>
File: image.jpg (273 KB, 786x1017) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
273 KB, 786x1017
>>
>>78345896
>"B-Boy's club!"
>"R-Racism!"

dropped
>>
>>78347092
She said somethings her " fans" didn't agree with, at least she won't cave in
>>
>>78348444
What'd she say?
>>
>>78345896
>click on another article by this author
>"Black Widow makes great snarky lines and looks badass while doing it"
>Cites "the Problematic Fighting Fucktoy" trope with a link to Anita Sarkeesian

lol
>>
>>78348486
a couple things

She likes Cerebus the Aardvark, she asked how many people on tumbler actually read comics and aren't just reblogging pages/panels they like, she said nice things about John Byrne
>>
>>78348486
>>78348577

I thought the fallout was when she "killed" a gay guy in something and they(the internet) freaked out at her about it and she was like "Story's not over" and the dude was fine like 2 issues later. but of course that didn't matter, the hatred had won
>>
>>78348494
Tropes are the stupidest thing to ever permeate into this culture. It's detrimental to story telling
>>
>>78348946
I love how Fighting Fucktoy was created just for feminists to have a buzzword to use against Bayonetta.
>>
>>78348577
To be fair, defending a prdophile will get you some hate.
>>
>>78349038
Fighting Fucktoy predates Bayonetta.

It's the go-to slur to use against ALL fighting game females so that cunts like Anita can disregard Chun Li, Sonya Blade, Cammy, Kitanna, and all other fighting game females when they are bitching about the "lack of strong female characters"
>>
>>78349038
That's what happens when a sexualized character is designed by a woman, her characterization doesn't revolve around a man, and she moves her story by her own decisions.
They have to make up reasons why this character is bad besides "this character turns men on."
>>
>>78348682

This was in Birds of Prey. She had a gay character named Savant, a super hacker ninja villain turned ally. Scans Daily lynched her for a gay fridging and Simone tried to say "read the fucking book, it's not what it seems" Of course, no one cared because MUH OPPRESSION and she got in trouble.
>>
>>78349250
Please tell me she said something to the effect of "You're reading a comic book. If there isn't a body, they aren't dead, and even then, they will probably come back to life, you stupid cunts."
>>
>>78349311

Something like that. But Scans Daily is about as autistic as vp, so they don't get basic elements of fiction.
>>
>>78346680
Wanda and her are unlikely to ever be friends again, that's dead and buried, and let's be honest didn't make alot of sense; Wanda is very left-wing and introvert while Carol is right-wing and extrovert. Their politics are so different they would never agree on anything.

I hope the MCU has Wanda be buddies with Hope while Natasha hangs with Carol. That makes more sense.
>>
>>78349250
>fridging

Fuck I almost forgot that Simone created that stupid fucking term.

Nowadays a woman is "fridged" if anything bad happens to her ever.
>>
>>78346361
Bechdel Test is good for an overview of various things, it's terrible for individual movies.
>>
>>78342154
I dont keep up with Marvel is Tigra benched too?
>>
>>78349557
What's it good for exactly? I've watched multiple port parody movies that pass it
>>
File: 1385960916477.jpg (107 KB, 900x1350) Image search: [Google]
1385960916477.jpg
107 KB, 900x1350
>>78342154
I like her high cut swimsuit and a hip sash. Absolute genius costume design, reaches right off the page, into my pants,
>>
>>78345428

she kinda did in jeph joebs hulk a- oh

oh your hatin on jeph loebs hulk

i see
>>
>>78349630

It's is not a measure of how sexist an individual movie is. The point is that most movies fail it. When women matter so little in most movies that those 3 simple criteria are rarely met doesn't that mean that something is a bit off?
Imagine if most movies didn't have more than 2 named male characters, if such characters never spoke to each other, and if they did they only spoke about women. Wouldn't it be strange to live in a world like that?
>>
>>78345428
>>
>>78349913
I don't know, it always seemed like a load of balogna to me. I've never had a hard time finding female characters I liked in movies since I was a kid watching Starship Troopers. I think it's just people that crave victim hood
>>
>>78349913
>>78350135
in the comic where it is mentioned one character invites another to see a movie, this second character mentions her test, and the first character realizes that by following those criteria she essentially can only watch a couple of movies
So it was a joke about the state of the whole cinema industry. If you applied the same criteria but to men you'd at most miss a couple of romantic comedies, but probably not even them.
>>
File: image.jpg (196 KB, 774x1032) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
196 KB, 774x1032
>>
>>78350390
The whole cinema industry sucks in general. If you actually understand movies you only have a few exceptional movies to pick from. It's rare that anything of quality is made in the world. That's what gives it meaning.

This isn't the Boys vs. Girls episode you think it is.
>>
>>78349630
I meant if you look at female portrayals in, say, 50 films, the Bechdel Test can actualky tell you alot.

Applying it to individual films is fucking stupid, though, because there may be particular and specific character or plot reasons behind the content.
>>
>>78351162
You're forgetting that the vast majority of those 50 movies aren't even worth watching to begin with. Literally all that matters is individual movies. Why are you even thinking of movies as a collective
>>
>>78350135

It doesn't bother you so that means no one else should be bothered by it either? Whatever you say, your majesty.
>>
>>78351407
The opportunity is literally available to everyone to disregard the vast majority of trash that is produced and only enjoy movies made the way you like them specifically, so if they didnt like what they were being given, they should have figured out how to get what they wanted instead. So no, I don't care if people are upset about statistics about bad movies they shouldn't even care about to begin with.
>>
>>78351532

So if you don't like it don't watch it. And don't you dare analyze it!

Don't even consider what such stories being told again and again and again say about the society that produces them.

Don't worry your lordship. I'm sure everyone will stop questioning fiction and learn to just take it at face value any day now.
>>
>>78346680
>More conservative than Cap, probably, but that's not saying much.

But cap isn't right wing at all.
>>
>>78351240
Literally the point of the "test" is to say something like "Huh, isn't it weird that only five movies released this year have a woman talk to another woman about something other than a dude?"
Literally that is it. Much like "Privilege" its a thought experiment that works to demonstrate a point at the macro-level, but once you start dealing with individuals, you've missed the point, which happens wearily often.
>>
>>78349913

>A movie about a woman alone on a desert island would fail the bechdel test

It's almost as terrible as the male protagonist bingo where more women got bingos than the men
>>
>>78351786
>But cap isn't right wing at all.
Which is why it's not saying much to say you're more conservative than him.
>>
File: 1318136466629.jpg (89 KB, 465x700) Image search: [Google]
1318136466629.jpg
89 KB, 465x700
>>78351699
well said, sistah xP

/)
>>
>>78351786
Exactly, but he's the first Superhero I could think of that she'd interact with frequently who has a military background.
>>
>>78342154
I miss Rogue.
>>
>>78351816

And? Are there hundreds of movies released each year about a woman alone on a desert island? What's your point?
>>
File: QB is tired of your BS.jpg (28 KB, 463x403) Image search: [Google]
QB is tired of your BS.jpg
28 KB, 463x403
>>78351804
Literally the point of the "test" was a one-note joke in a comic strip, but which tumblr learned about and began disseminating it like a prophecy, upholding it as the single most important and basal law in storytelling.

Because it doesn't matter if the whole rest of the film or comic or whatever sucks; it had two womyn talking about not!boys twice, and that means it's well-written and empowering and what not.
>>
>>78351931

They are using it wrong. It's about pointing out a pattern.
>>
>>78351887

The fact is that people holding bechdel test to some infallible standard when it's a flawed system that even the creator admits.

>When women matter so little in most movies that those 3 simple criteria are rarely met doesn't that mean that something is a bit off?

You can have a movie featuring and starring well written women that could still fail the test because of some one off line like "Oh that guy is a jerk."
>>
File: image.jpg (52 KB, 249x400) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
52 KB, 249x400
>>78351857
Same
>>
>>78342625
Yeah...I'll go with this.
>>
>>78351699
Movies don't have an obligation to perpetuate your delusion that our society isn't corrupt, hypocritical and driven by greed and arrogance.
>>
>>78344326
>Stern
based
>Ewing
retard
>>
>>78352948
This
>>
File: 1380471012780.jpg (162 KB, 382x442) Image search: [Google]
1380471012780.jpg
162 KB, 382x442
>>78350104
This pleases me.
>>
>>78349250
They accused HER of 'fridging'? Did they know HOW Simone got into the comic biz?
>>
>>78349466
>Their politics are so different they would never agree on anything.
NOW that would be correct...they used to be a time though when you could depict political opposites as team mates and even genuine friends but with todays political climate nobody would swallow it.
>>
>>78349311
She basically told them to chill out and wait for the next issue.
>>
>>78349466
>>78353734
Someone really needs to draw a "Captain Marvel supports Trump. Do you?" with her holding a trowel next to a half built wall.
>>
>>78342154
No I don't miss that Ms. Marvel at all, I do miss the Ms. Marvel that was eaten by Rogue to give her powers though.
>>
>>78349466
If they aren't going to be friends, it's because Carol's editor hates Wanda for HOM. That's why she didn't show up in Captain Marvel at all.
>>
File: image.jpg (143 KB, 720x612) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
143 KB, 720x612
>>
>>78346506
>they'd clash over her adherence to authority and his willingness to ignore it
>her alcoholism would probably turn him into an alcoholic and then they'd enable each other
>they'd have sweaty horrible drunk sex in a cockpit
>she'd be the worst kind of dom who pushes him too much and ignores the safeword
It'd be completely disastrous. I want it.
>>
>>78355042
>in the end Hal would run from her to cry in Sinestro arms
>>
>>78353920

Noice.
>>
>>78346506
Carol is basically Marvel's version of Hal cept she's less of a shit character somehow
>>
File: Moonstone61726.jpg (79 KB, 721x1024) Image search: [Google]
Moonstone61726.jpg
79 KB, 721x1024
Does Moonstone work better as Ms. Marvel's rival or Songbird's rival?
>>
>>78346795
one of Dick Chaney's daughters is gay and a Repub
>>
>>78349509
yet the 2 biggest fridgings to ever happen in comics are probably Batman's parents and Uncle Ben but surprise the fridged included men so it doesn't count.
>>
>>78355489
When is Monica going to break her neck again?
>>
File: C is for CUTE.png (87 KB, 252x446) Image search: [Google]
C is for CUTE.png
87 KB, 252x446
>>78342154
Captain Marvel is cuter now. It's better this way.

Besides, having them fuck up all the time is annoying and makes you wonder why they're even on the team in the first place. Characters like Carol and Hank learning from their mistakes and developing as heroes is a better direction to take.
>>
>>78349509
IIRC Simone has actually called people out on that for changing the definition of fridging to whenever someone's favorite character dies.
>>
>>78355657
She's supposed to be the tank of the Avengers. If the Avengers were a hockey team, she'd be the goon. She's a woman that fights side by side with a nuclear rage monster and a war God and keeps up with them. She's more of a goddamn predator eagle than she is cute
>>
>>78355810
That's pretty cute desu
>>
>>78355851
That wolf is not a happy camper. He just came to eat some dead animal and now this asshole is trying to show him the world.
>>
>>78342154
>it's another "poorly written drinking problems" character

So fucking exciting.
>>
>>78344331

Didn't his mom say his dad was composed of light or something? Maybe it's Quasar. He was composed of light once.
>>
>>78356351
Drinking is a solution to her problems. It is not the problem in and of itself
>>
>>78356404
It's still a boring as fuck character trait and rarely done well.
>>
>>78356448
The trait can't be inherently boring in and of itself. It can only be made boring when it is used in a boring way by a writer.

Besides that, we've clearly established many other character traits that define Carol more than drinking, so it isn't a one note gimmick for her.
>>
>>78346311

I think they were trying to say

>All I'm saying is, Kamala could have far more interesting interactions with Dr. Sofen [than with Carol.]
>>
>>78347025

Would rather see Mar-Vell in a movie beforehand, really establish how heroic and awesome he is before he croaks in Carol's movie.
>>
>>78349466

Hope van Dyne, the high powered executive? Very wealthy? You don't think she's maybe just a little bit on the right wing side?
>>
>>78342547
And even worse, the only time Carol was interesting, was when all that remained of her was a voice in Rogue's head.
>>
>>78356493
I agree with that. Sofen is the polar opposite of Kamala. Does Dr.Sofen have a solo comic,because I only know here from Dark Avengers/
>>
>>78355154
Yes
>>
>>78343009
Most tumblrgirls into comics I know despise Carol because of this, actually.
It's Marvel editorial who don't know what a Strong Female Character is.
>>
File: 1449712743528.gif (1000 KB, 315x236) Image search: [Google]
1449712743528.gif
1000 KB, 315x236
>>78358186
>Implying Tumblrinas read comics
>Implying they don't just watch the movies and whine.
>>
>>78358200
In a nutshell
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 251

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.