[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
DC Comics To Make Their Comic Books Go Bi-Weekly
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 17
File: image.jpg (76 KB, 400x582) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
76 KB, 400x582
http://www.bleedingcool.com/2015/12/21/dc-comics-to-make-their-comic-books-go-bi-weekly/

>You might have noticed that DC Comics has been a little marketshare-deprived of late. We have already told you that Dan DiDio is getting very concerned and making big plans to change things. New creative teams, mixing it up, looking for the magic.

>Or, you know, publishing twice as many comics.

>For certain titles that is. Bleeding Cool has been reliably informed by multiple sources that DC Comics is looking to make a number of comic books biweekly, publishing twice a month. The only issue is how many. The big books, Batman, Harley Quinn, Justice League, Batgirl, that’s a given. But others are falling into the fold, Superman, Green Lantern, Suicide Squad… its possible this may continue across many others.

>What’s the effect of this? Well, marketshare will rise, it is impossible for it not to. And it may make a lot more sense financially to have a second Batman comic a month rather than a new Booster Gold series, say. But when Amazing Spider-Man went three times amount and cancelled Spectacular Spider-Man and Web Of Spider-Man, the average sales of each issue went up, but the highest audience being reached plummeted. Marvel sold more comics but to fewer people. That is likely to repeat with a comic like Batman. But with… let’s call them comics with a less committed audience, the danger is that being confronted with two issues rather than one issue, people will look at their wallet and drop out entirely.

What do you think /co/? Would DC actually do this? Good temporary solution to bad sales or not? They might put trades out faster at least
>>
This is it. The end of DC. Whelp, it was a good run, over 80 years, but I guess nothing lasts forever.
Goodnight, sweet prince.
>>
>>78342067
>its a joke
>yfw its not a joke
Are comic book companies on meth ?
>>
>>78342067
It's bad enough when Marvel does it.
>>
they should do this with batman but not the other titles. shit marvel does the same with spider-man. the most popular character can pull it off, but definitely not all titles
>>
>>78342067

I guess is okay if they do it with books that their audience will not drop no matter what. They will get their stories faster and DC will get double the sales.

Better than than Marvel's shitfest of re releasing shit with 30 variants of each #1.
>>
>>78342157
Yeah Harley managed to do it once or twice and came out just fine, but if a title sells less than 50k then it'll probably just go down in sales.
>>
Why is Batgirl a given when it doesn't even sell 30k anymore?
>>
Except DC's batman isn't even batman anymore ha ha
>>
>>78342208
Batgirl has good trade sales, so it would be beneficial if they could put out 2-3 trades a year instead of one
>>
>>78342226
So does Grayson and he's not even listed. Why pretend like Batgirl is pulling Harley Quinn numbers? I don't understand misrepresenting the information like that.
>>
File: 1450573525266.png (159 KB, 222x306) Image search: [Google]
1450573525266.png
159 KB, 222x306
>>78342115
>>78342131
>>78342136
Hey, Amazing Spider-Man has been published bi-weekly for a good few years now, and...

Fuck.
>>
>>78342262
The book has been confirmed by execs to do substantially well in trade/digital format, what is hard to understand about this?
>>
>>78342067
Good, I hate waiting on pins and needles for new issues. I don't see why this is a bad thing. Basically if they are smart they will have writers and artists basically do one big issue and then split it up. At least that's what I'd have them do. Treat every "issue" as an annual, then split them up so we can get them out bi weekly. Now if they will just add fucking RECAPS in the front finally that would be great. How they still haven't added those are beyond me.
>>
Why not focus more on digital titles? There's less risk when it comes to funding.
>>
>>78342262
Except the Grayson HC clearly underperformed, as did the Batgirl HC.

>>78342277
Because he probably hates the book?
>>
>>78342115
>people still fall for this bait
>>
>>78342298
Pretty much this, everyone is going digital. Only time I read print is if I'm at a shop that has comics and I think "oh fuck it while I'm here I guess, haven't downloaded the latest issue" then I get a stack and read them there...and then go home and download them.
>>
>>78342274
To be fair, they did that after cancelling the other Spidey titles, so instead of three books a month it was three issues of Amazing a month.

Like >>78342157 mentioned, doing this with Batman wouldn't be a problem. JLA too. Maybe even Superman. But I can't see this as anything but bad for lower-tier titles.
>>
Prepare your anus, DC will modernize even further by remaking the comics to reflect the DCEU movies. Synergy!
>>
>>78342282
>Basically if they are smart they will have writers and artists basically do one big issue and then split it up.

That's essentially what happens already.
>>
>>78342298
According to Didio, digital market has began to stagnate, whereas the trade/bookstore market is still growing. Also their floppy sales are in the toilet so double shipping Batman is a no brainer.
>>
>>78342277
You do realize that there are public sources for digital and trade sales too right? That's what I'm referring to, Batgirl does not do particularly well by any measure.

>>78342304
Grayson HC did better than the Batgirl one. The paperback hasn't come out yet. I don't hate the book, I just don't understand why its sales are being talked about as if they're high. It does ok but not fantastic.
>>
This was pretty much bound to happen.

I dunno, there's ways of handling this that work out. I'd be interested to see if they did like a season approach with rotating creative teams.

6 issues in 3 months with one creative team, that rotates with each other every arc or so. You're essentially getting the exact same amount of stories condensed into a shorter period, but with proper lead-in time you wouldn't be sacrificing quality.

Reading comics in a monthly format is DEEPLY unsatisfying, 20 pages every month is a horrendous experience and I've completely tapped out of the monthly experience in favor of binge reading 10-20 issues at a time instead. This somewhat alleviates that if it's handled well.
>>
>>78342225
Bruce is coming back in Batman 50
>>
>>78342327
>It already affected my waifu

Just fuck it end it all
>>
>>78342328
Exactly so fuck it let's get two fucking issues a month at least. I HATE waiting for Justice League, month to month I have to go back and flip through last months issue.
>>
This could be good or bad depending on which comics are bi-weekly.
>>
>>78342298
Comic book companies should've been the first to adopt digital distribution but too many of their revenue making ideas are tied to the print medium (variant covers, renumbering every year)

Can't even blame them though, since the publishing industry in general is dedicated to preserving an outdated business model.
>>
>>78342339
>You do realize that there are public sources for digital and trade sales too right?

Uh, no there isn't?

Digital has absolutely no statistics whatsoever outside of a vague Top 5 list on Comixology with no figures whatsoever. The only thing we know is that Batgirl consistently makes that list everytime a new issue comes out which speaks to it selling better in a different format. Whether that's a dramatically higher number is hard to say, but it is important.
>>
>>78342363
It means more shitty fill-in artists though
>>
File: chainface.png (227 KB, 696x480) Image search: [Google]
chainface.png
227 KB, 696x480
>sales are tanking because our books are boring artsy crap
>instead of going back to basics or adopting marvel shill tactics we are going to produce even more unsellable shit to bankrupt us even faster
>>
>>78342371
That's some top tier shit taste you got there.
>>
>>78342393
Almost certainly, but it doesn't *have to* if they do it right.

Which they won't because it's DC, but still a man can dream.
>>
>>78342411
>books are boring artsy crap

?
>>
>>78342411
Please, like you wouldn't bitch if they adopted marvel shill tactics.

Anyway double shipping IS a marvel tactic. They double shipped IIM #1 and #2 to make sure sales wouldn't drop even more than they did.
>>
>>78342411
Books like Batman, Justice League, and Harley Quinn in demand. Making more of it is a no-brainer.

Unfortunately the sad truth is that the books that are unsellable shit are the ones that are sinking them currently.
>>
>>78342419
Sh-Shut up. She is perfect
>>
>>78342440
She's a whore.
>>
>>78342431
He wants more bat titles with generic Lee and Finch copycats
>>
>>78342452
She's NOT. Stop spreading lies and misinformation
>>
>>78342392
Comixology shows more than the top 5. You just have to navigate to the page on their site. Batgirl usually isn't in that top 5 in the weeks it comes out, more in the 8-12 range. That's about the same as books like GL and Superman which are considered "maybes" to double ship according to BC.
>>
>>78342472
Well Batgirl has beaten Grayson before digitally in the few months they came out on the same day.
>>
>>78342469
Yes, she is. You need to accept the truth and, by doing so, you will finally accept yourself.
>>
>>78342370
how has this new batman been doing sales wise? honestly i tried but i just can't give a shit about him.
>>
>42 replies

How has nobody done
>Bleeding Cool
yet?

Goddamn, you guys, you're just eating whatever shit Rich gives out now.
>>
>>78342499
Still above 100k but still getting BTFO by Star Wars and #1s.
>>
Serious question, why does the US comic industry insist so much on periodical publication?
>>
>>78342500
Bleeding Cool is right more often than they're wrong.

Also http://www.comicbookresources.com/article/dc-comics-taking-some-series-bi-weekly-in-2016
>>
I've noticed that i always enjoy a story much more when i read it as a trade. sometimes you just can't even appreciate it in monthly format even if it's good. instead of publishing 20 different titles every week they should publish one title per week and have it be a complete story. and don't even start on the sales figures of large stories, when there's not 50 single issues to spend money on more people will buy the bigger book.
>>
>>78342550
>Bleeding Cool is right more often than they're wrong.
Is this true or do people just forget when they're wrong
>>
>>78342490
I know it's beaten Grayson before but Grayson is higher more often when I've checked (I usually do wait until Friday/Saturday so maybe it's just that Batgirl fans buy earlier after release). But I don't mean to frame things as if Batgirl does poorly digitally by any stretch but I don't understand the logic in it being listed as a sure thing.

>>78342500
We already know the source is bullshit. It's still worth discussing as an idea anyway. /co/ loves "how to fix the industry" threads.
>>
>>78342532
Honestly I don't get why they insist of the 20 pages format. Do inks and colors really take that long to finish? Isn't it all done by computer now anyway? Bonelli publishes many monthly titles and they're over ninety pages long, with specials and annulas sometimes reaching 300 pages
>>
>>78342532
Because the market has spoken and other formats like anthologies and OGNs simple do not sell. They make more money on floppies+trades than they do when they release trades alone.
>>
>>78342067
>And it may make a lot more sense financially to have a second Batman comic a month rather than a new Booster Gold series
Except I'd be more likely to buy a new Booster Gold series.
>>
>>78342626
You're not most people.
>>
>>78342596
>Honestly I don't get why they insist of the 20 pages format.
Because people buy it.
They make way more money by double dipping with smaller floppies and trades than they do by making OGNs or anthologies.
>>
>>78342596
I think the pencils take the longest. Seems like colorists tend to work on multiple books, or at least Hifi is on a ton of them.
>>
>>78342626
And there are far more people who would be more likely to buy a extra issue of Batman.
>>
>>78342626
Your one purchase of Booster Gold isn't worth the several thousand people that would buy Batman.
>>
>>78342067
>What do you think /co/? Would DC actually do this?

You mean force their franchise stores to buy about four times as many books as they bought previously?

Why would they not? It's not like content or quality have any influence on DC's sales.
>>
>>78342626
1. More people would rather by Batman.

2. Most LCSes would rather have extra copies of Batman than Booster Gold (see #1).
>>
>>78342597
but no one has ever tried depriving the market of the singles. i mean you've got joe average, he enters a shop and whats to buy some comics. so he buys 5 issues of five books and now doesn't wanna spend even more money on a trade/ogn. but if that week the only thing coming out is the ogn, he would probably buy that
>>
>>78342739
Except they have tried that? That's what the Earth One line is. Shit, I did the math a few nights ago. Give me a moment to pull it up.
>>
>>78342131
>Are comic book companies on meth ?
I hope their artists are.
>>
>>78342739
Well we're about to see how well a non-OGN book does without floppies.
There's a Supergirl digital mini that's going from digital to trade without floppies.

If DC tries another book like this later, then it was probably a mild success.
>>
>>78342532
>>78342596
The average American penciler will produce about one page per day. Personally I like knowing the art was produced by one guy I really like rather than a studio full of grunts being overseen by some Italian.
>>
>>78342763
no it's not, because earth one is not the only thing on the stands, the rest of dc is still coming out weekly
>>
>>78342739
Also, I'm pretty sure casuals would be more likely to buy a volume called Batman: Revenge of the Joker rather than Batman #156: Revenge of the Joker: Part 5.
>>
>>78342067
>by multiple sources
Ok, so clearly one of them is /co/. I'm assuming the others are reddit, his ass, and one of his handful of LCS owner friends.
>>
File: fuckthisgayearth.png (48 KB, 218x93) Image search: [Google]
fuckthisgayearth.png
48 KB, 218x93
>>78342687
>>78342668
>>78342652
>>78342640
>>
>>78342778
all italian issues are produced by one artist. for example luca rossi does a 90 page complete story, then next issue a new artist does his own complete story.
>>
>>78342779
So you want them to give up on 6 months of sales on an experiment that has no actual evidence of being viable? That's ridiculous. My math though

>Through comic shops, Batman Earth One v2 only sold 16,702 in the first month and 1,472 in the second month at $24.99 that's a little over $454,000. If you lowball it and say 6 issues of it as an ongoing would sell 50k a month at 3.99, that's $1,197,000 without trade sales (and to compare it with an actual Batman release, the Endgame HC did 7,846 and 1,060 in the first two months). It's hard to tell how much bookstore sales matter since it doesn't seem like Bookscan releases raw data on those, but EO v 2 was 6th and 15th in the first two months while Endgame was 4th and 20th.
>>
>>78342550
>Bleeding Cool is right more often than they're wrong
Just because he publishes /co/'s crack theories as fact thus giving you something to point to when pulling claims out of your ass, doesn't mean they're right. It just means he panders to your headcanon.
>>
I except this to lead to even more inconsistent art from issue to issue for the books affected and an overall failure for DC

Then Marvel will try to buy out DC only for the deal to get fucked over by John Byrne somehow. Again.
>>
>>78342812
Yes, kill yourself already and spare us your whining.
>>
>>78342067
>its possible this may continue across many others.

Robin Son of Batman maybe?
Perhaps?
>>
>>78342067
Marvel did this with the Avengers for a few years
DC is gonna push their most popular characters to the ceiling as high and often as they can
Then they have to hope all the titles that get cancelled as a consequence of this don't mean much
>>
>>78342848
You're right about the art but it won't be a financial failure. A significant number of people who already buy these books won't stop buying them.
>>
>>78342898
But don't let Gleason become overworked and break his streak with another artist or writer helping him. He's been golden so far for a newbie.
>>
Making a handful of Bi-Weekly comics could work, but an entire shift would kill them.
>>
>>78342739
>but no one has ever tried depriving the market of the singles
They're trying it with the upcoming Supergirl book, it's going from digital weekly right to trade
>>
>>78342626
What do you think DC is more interested in? Selling 210k copies of Batman each month, or selling 15k copies of Booster Gold a month?
>>
>>78342067
>The big books
>Batgirl

One of these things does not belong.
>>
>>78342157
They could do this with their top titles
Batman
Harley Quinn
Justice League
JLA
other than that it would push the stuff at the bottom down to cancellation
>>
>>78343003
Don't forget selling double the trades of Batman that can and will be rereleased differently a couple years later for even more sales.
>>
>>78343012
>harley quinn

just...jesus. she's like the deadpool of DC if deadpool had never had a single good run
>>
>>78343012
Stuff like Flash, GL and Grayson are borderline, they might drop a little bit unless they all dropped to 20k they'd still make more double shipping them
>>
How about getting a good PR team?

Since Snyder is famous now because of Batman, why don't they give him another DC title?
>>
>>78342812
>Being upset the world's most popular hero outsells a C-Lister
>>
>>78343077
Snyder wants to write Wonder Woman real bad and has a story for her, so I literally do not understand why they haven't kicked Meredith and her husband off the title yet. If they're still on past #50 then I'm just going to assume they're scared of people yelling at them for replacing a female writer or David Finch is giving some of the editors blowjobs.
>>
>>78343077
He wanted to do WW right?
>>
>>78342550
>CBR
Just as bad as Bleeding Cool, with a more resource-intensive coat of paint.

Hell, just look at their blurb. All it does is say that they've confirmed BC's report without any solid evidence. They're just saying "We've read BC's article, and we can totes confirm that it's accurate. Like, totally. No lie."
>>
can't wait for a shit ton of their horrible fill in artists on all the titles I read
>>
If this were anywhere near accurate, the best list of candidates to watch for bi-weekly status would be the #50 issues getting double-sized releases.

Chances are that they're doing those to not only see if the writers/artists can handle the double workload, but also to see if readers would be willing to pay twice as much money in a single month for a book.
>>
>>78343151
Say what you will about CBR's lack of credibility but

>without any solid evidence

Unless their source is willing to go on record I'm not sure what kind of evidence you are thinking they could provide. This is how all entertainment reporting works like trade rumors in sports. No one gives out any names.
>>
>>78342739
Your line of thinking isn't viable for a business. You don't remove what's selling well to push an untried product.
>>
>>78343191
Those #50 issues are only $1 more not twice the cost
>>
>>78343003
and that is why some people will be pissed
DC is clearly showing more interest in selling comics period instead of selling every franchise
>>
>>78343119
but anon, batman isn't spider-man

>Last year, Marvel sold approximately $1.3B worth of Spider-Man products, which is approximately four times the $325M they made from the Avengers. Meanwhile, their competition over at DC has struggled to keep up. Unsurprisingly, their most popular property was Batman, who brought in a respectable $494M, while their second most popular hero, Superman, brought it about $277M.
>>
The mere thought of something like Teen Titans being published biweekly makes me want to weep. I know it isn't likely, because TT probably doesn't sell well at this point, but you never know
>>
>>78343195
Confirming a report generally implies that they have reached out to actual people at DC who are in the capacity of making such scheduling decisions and asking them about the topic in question.

Otherwise, this is just a case of the rumor mill going around and around. "Hey, you know that story Bleeding Cool put out? We talked to BC's sources and they told us the same rumor! That TOTALLY means that it's going to happen!"

>>78343221
Oh. My bad, then.
Then it would just be the first factor then, I suppose.
>>
>>78343145
Yep
>>
>>78343236
Because people and LCSes don't want every franchise. They'll have to wait until movies come out to do that.
>>
>>78343268
wheres the CBR report ? all i see is the Newsrama link and that place is cancer
>>
if you listen closely, you can hear creators cringing in the distance
>>
>>78343308
http://www.comicbookresources.com/article/dc-comics-taking-some-series-bi-weekly-in-2016
>>
>>78343310
what is this bullshit that more ooutput has to equal less quality? they're not writing fucking novels, they're writing scripts for 20-page comics. the writing is where the quality comes from, all i need from an artist in for them to not be cringe-bad.
>>
>>78343236
Even Marvel can't get people to buy Vision. The market is not built to support good books. I don't blame them for trying to squeeze as much as they can out of the popular things if that means the less popular ones can get a little more leeway when it comes to cancellation.

If this is true I expect we'll find out after the DCYou books hit #12 and we get more cancellations.
>>
File: 1428284372132.png (12 KB, 500x294) Image search: [Google]
1428284372132.png
12 KB, 500x294
>>78343436
a little too obvious
>>
File: spider-rape.jpg (126 KB, 648x853) Image search: [Google]
spider-rape.jpg
126 KB, 648x853
>>78343251
Foreigners love spidey
>>
>>78343444
We'll probably hear more before April solicits, since B&RE ends in March and they'll need something after that
>>
>>78342067
>DC Comics
>Detective Comics Comics
>>
>>78343444
Yeah I can see them cancelling quite a few DCYou books but compensating for less books by double shipping 3-4 of their biggest titles.
>>
>>78343479
>reddit
>reddit tumblr memes
>>
>>78343479
let it go
>>
File: sir croc.jpg (4 KB, 90x126) Image search: [Google]
sir croc.jpg
4 KB, 90x126
>>78342067
If Oda can do it, why cant these assholes?
>>
>>78343498
nah, they'll just do what DC always does in times of...crisis
>>
>DC makes the most money off trades
>still pushing floppies

Why can't they just use floppies for one-shot storytelling and leave the big continuity changing stories for trades?
>>
>>78343635
Because trade sales are possible through sales of monthlies
>>
>>78343635
Because big story arcs still sell through floppies as well as trades.

And OGNs are still risky even with big name characters, writers, and artists. Batman Earth One vol 1 HC got only 20k the first month it came out.
>>
>>78343720
why was it HC? i don't even buy hc books anymore.
>>
Hopefully they don't do every book. Things like Omega Men are just going to die even faster if they go bi-weekly.
>>
>>78343758
All the Earth One books come out in hardcover first. They're not normal though, they have the art printed right on the front instead of as a dust jacket. Looks nice.
>>
>>78343758
I like hardcover for Omnibuses and trades in paperback.
>>
File: Tfw question.jpg (34 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
Tfw question.jpg
34 KB, 640x480
can anyone tweet someone that works at DC and ask if this is true ? because they haven't said a i think and CBR is yet to name their source
>>
>>78343799
No one who works at DC is going to publicly state anything before the press release goes out
>>
>>78343776
they're really going to have to step it up if they want people to give a shit about earth one, i'm a comic fan and even i keep forgetting that shit exists. batman vol 1 comes out in 2012 then batman vol 2 comes out THREE YEARS LATER, are you shtting me? and since it started they've still only coveredd superman and batman.
>>
>>78343546

No assistants anon.
>>
>>78343827
We need to bribe Johns with some cereal so he'll let us in on the inside information.
>>
>>78343828
Teen Titans came out too and next year will have WW, Flash, and Aquaman. But yeah, the time between releases is shitty and most of the stories haven't even been good enough to make up for it.
>>
>>78343760
Yeah, no way are they going to do it for the shitty selling books.

Batman, JL, Harley, Superman, and MAYBE Batgirl and Grayson (for digital and trade sales) are the only ones that are safe probably enough.
>>
File: images.png (233 KB, 315x330) Image search: [Google]
images.png
233 KB, 315x330
>>78343860
>Aquaman and Flash Earth One
>coming out next year

All we're probably going to get is WW and Teen Titans vol 2.
>>
>>78343893
True. They were certainly announced for 2016 though.
>>
>>78342067
In my frazzled mind I thought that this meant that they were going to slow down publication to once every two months so they can get the reins again and really focus on quality. I thought it was a shrewd move, albeit slightly unfortunate and indicative of the terrible state of DC, but a step in the right direction nonetheless. Then realization set in. I really think this is the death knell.
>>
Nice company war, bros.
>>
>>78342067
Maybe this will get them to hire background artists
>>
>>78343860
so they say, remeber batman vol2 was supposed to come out in 2013. and that's batman, dc's golden boy. you may end up waiting for aquaman for several more years
>>
>>78343943
>terrible state of DC
Their market share is the same it has ever you idiot, its just marvel that has star wars
>>
>>78343980
The art will likely get worse. Did you read Robin War? The double shipped books will probably be like that, a bunch of shitty artists doing a few pages here and there.
>>
Marvel should have done the same with Hickman.

>>78344014
I wonder how bad The Fiasco Awakens will hurt them?
>>
>>78343981
I've always wanted to see an aquaman smallville premise. his younger days, discovering his powers and shit(we got flashbacks in n52 but that's all). and no atlantis shit, just him on the surface with his dad
>>
>>78344037
I honestly think that it wont, most of the people that saw the movie have no idea that there are Star wars books or comics,
>>
>>78344014
They need to bribe JK or Tolkien state.
>>
>>78344037
Didn't Hickman end up double shipping near the end of his run? Or was that somebody else?
>>
>>78343943
>>78344076
Nice brand loyalty, anon.
>>
>>78342532
>>78342596
It's the biggest no brainer of all time, I really don't know how you could argue against it. The money could be recouped from the trades (which can be way overpriced and still sell), they can focus more on quality, and they don't have to embarrasingly shit out a half baked product that is constantly going up in price so they can sell advertisements.
>>
>>78344095
No idea, but if bimonthlies keep decompression away, let's welcome it. And fuck the DC haters.
>>
>>78344037
>Marvel should have done the same with Hickman.
I thought they did? Didn't like 18 issues if Avengers come out a year? Plus he had New Avengers too
>>
>>78344014
I'm not talking market share you odious fuck. Who gives a shit about market share?
>>
>>78344098
I don't think you need to be loyal to a brand to think of ways they could improve their bottom line.
>>
>>78344157
i don't know, maybe the fact that the Market share dictates how much they sold on that month ? i think so man
>>
>>78344117
Again, if it's such a no brainer why do OGNs not sell well?
>>
>>78342643
Double dipping can't be that significant of a number can it?
>>
>>78344098
Brand loyalty is the absolute dumbest reason to buy something. Buy good books. Love yourself.
>>
>>78344205
who's even taliing about ogns? a trade isn't the same thing as an ogn.
>>
>>78344205
no continuity for people who care about the characters and no collectability since trades are always in print they never go up in value.
>>
>>78344205
If you eliminate the outdated and all but dead periodical format and transfer it so the stories are bundled and you can't get them any way else, they will sell. I'm not talking OGNs, I'm talking a line wide commitment to moving into the brave new world of the early 2000s when people stopped buying periodicals.
>>
>>78344098
How am I indicating brand loyalty? I've been a DC guy all my life and I'm so disgusted with the way things have been handled that even when something has been thoroughly vetted as quality I'm still hesitant to support it because it's rewarding the shitty status quo that is DC these days.
>>
>>78344287
it's basically the netflix tv model. binge-watching tv/binge-reading
>>
>>78342067
JUST GET BETTER AT MARKETING.

WHY IS IT SO HARD FOR THEM TO UNDERSTAND.
>>
>>78344287
never work speculators are still the biggest consumers of comic books.
>>
>>78344346
>shitty status quo that is DC these days
Depowered Supes was actually good though, So was hobo hal because Venditti actually gave shit about that and snyder proves that he can write anyone has Batman that is not bruce, it also made Kyle a good character again
>>
>>78344278
>trades are always in print
>>
>>78344275
>>78344287
That's what I'm talking about though. DC has the Earth One universe that does exactly what you're saying and the sales are not significant at all. There is literally no reason to think that this is a viable alternative besides the idea that you personally prefer that format so other people must agree.
>>
>>78344437
The title Earth One indicates that it's a shitty Elseworlds. If Batman Earth One was just called Batman and people knew it was the "real" line then it would have sold like gangbusters regardless of how terrible it was.
>>
>>78344437
but earth one are fucking ogns! they're not part of the mainstream dc continuity.
>>
>>78344207
Yes?

With Batman they get 100k+ with each 3.99 floppy. Put 6-7 of those together and you get a trade that'll sell like 7-9k at the least. And maybe more than that if they add something special like the Joker mask they did with DOTF and the CoO mask with that book.

OGNs need a big name writer, character, and artist to sell even half way decently. It's not only risky for publishers, but for readers too. Many people are afraid of getting a 24.99 book with a writer/character they know nothing about because they might hate it. With floppies, they can read 1-3 issues, get a feel of what's happening, and drop it if they so desire.
>>
>>78344399
I find it hard to believe that it's that significant considering there is no speculation market anymore.
>>
>>78344509
>>78344512
They are still set in the main multiverse. And judging by Earth-2's sales (at least until the shittiness wore people down), readers do not mind alternate universe stories.
>>
why do people buy single issues? i buy trades and GNs but every thursday i visit the win-o and just download the singles in five minutes for free.

>spending money for 1/6th of a complete story
>>
>>78344514
3.99 for 20 pages is way less bang for your buck than the content you get from the average trade. And nothing you said proves anything about double dipping.
>>
>>78344602
Lack of gutter loss mostly, if/when I get a tablet I'll go full digital with floppies though.
>>
>>78342067
>Comic writers will finally know what it's like to be a slave... i-I mean a japanese manga artist
>>
>>78344546
You haven't been paying attention for decades. It's obviously not like it was in the 90's but they're there.
>>
>>78344602
I don't know I guess wait for the people who are defending an archaic format that is detrimental to the industry.
>>
>>78344617
I'm not saying it's good for the reader.
It's good for the publisher.
>>
>>78344564
Like the average yokel ideal consumer who loves Batman knows or cares what a multiverse is. That's a cop out.
>>
When Marvel did biweekly shit from '89-92, they ALWAYS made their biweekly runs be major storylines. Silver Surfer had his Infinity Gauntlet shit, X-Men had the team leave Australia and later had the reformation of the team in the states/Gambit debuting, Avengers had big storylines involving a crossover with Alpha Flight and the start of the Gatherers saga, Excalibur used their biweekly shit to rush through the ending of the whole Crosstime Caper shit.

DC just needs to do that with their biweekly crap. Get a big name writer with a fast as fuck artist, to do a major fucking storyline and give them 6-8 issues to go to town and shake shit up.

Or in the case of Batman, do what the scheduling for BND was supposed to do but right. Fire the hack Snyder and bring on big number of classic Batman writers and let them work on a round robin system of writing Batman. Englehart, Dixon, Rucka, Starlin, Collins, Brubaker, Morrison, all doing 3-4 issue arcs with various subplots woven between each writer's stories to ensure fans don't pick and chose which writers shit they buy.
>>
>>78344617
Depends on the book. If it's Bendis or Ellis (in some cases) then yes you're getting a lot less bang for your buck in the monthly format. Others can make a singular comic interesting on its own.
>>
>>78344689
You're still not explaining how the elimination of floppies would have a significant effect on sales aside from the rabid fans who need to own a story in multiple formats.
>>
>>78344724
>bringing back all those shit writers

Bet you want Wolfman back on Teen Titans, huh
>>
>>78344754

The return of the Wolfman era Titans would be a vast improvement over the shit state the current Titans are in
>>
>>78344717
It's not a cop out to say that books about non-main universe characters sell in one format so that's probably not the reason that they aren't buying it in another format.

Meanwhile I have provided evidence that OGNs don't sell and you have not provided anything to suggest that they would. I'm not saying it's a bad idea, but there's nothing that suggests it's a good one.
>>
File: bats.jpg (41 KB, 736x382) Image search: [Google]
bats.jpg
41 KB, 736x382
From right to left:Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, Flash, GL, Aquaman.

there you go DC, all your problems are solved
>>
>>78342067
Did anyone talked about these rumours yet or we are still in the dark ?
>>
>>78344775
Yeah, that 2008 Titans book and the Games OGN were really great.
>>
>>78344656
But are they so significant that if you took away floppies the overall sales would be greatly effected? I really doubt it. It's a small percentage of people who still collect them, and there are so many comics out there to collect at this point that moving your line away from the format wouldn't piss them off too bad I don't think. I'm not saying the floppy needs to die completely, but the way they are presented now does not justify the stubborn reliance on them.
>>
>>78344775
It would still be shit, just a different flavor. There's no saving Teen Titans.
>>
>>78344754
Faggot, the bulk of those writers are the ones who basically GAVE US the definitive version Batman bitch.

And why not bring them back? Most of them would work cheap and fast and would give a reason to bring in jaded fans to the Batman book, which DC found out that catering to SJW cuntstains is a surefire way to go out of business.

The old fans are the only ones who can save DC. DCYou failed because they went after a base who wouldn't buy a comic to use the pages to wipe their asses with.
>>
>>78344724
Neither of those writers is coming back for doing a weekly. Comics, especially the big 2 is seriously lacking quality writers as the British invasion has faded. DC needs to get Hickman and give him legion or New Gods. His work is more suited on DC than Marvel.
>>
>>78344729
It will always be more expensive buying a good story as individual trades vs. collected editions unless the trade is presented in a deluxe edition.
>>
>>78344793
but TRADES do sell. and they would sell 10-20 times more if there was no laternative of buying or already owning the same story in singles format
>>
>>78344832
Yeah, and Wolfman gave us definitive version of Teen Titans.
>>
>>78344832
>DCYou failed because they went after a base who wouldn't buy a comic to use the pages to wipe their asses with.
Thats why Midnighter is their number one trade in pre orders right ? along with omega man and other books like Son of batman ?
>>
>>78344894
>and they would sell 10-20 times more

This is what I'm talking about. What is making you think this?
>>
>>78344832
>The old fans are the only ones who can save DC.
So THAT'S why Lois & Clark and Titans Hunt are doing so well.
>>
>>78344956
It's almost like people have their headcanons about what the problem is at this point and don't want to look at any facts
>>
>>78344956
And Lois & Clark are being written by a classic superman writer, why is it not selling ?
>>
>>78344793
If you eliminate the concept of floppies and OGNs (and you are still ignoring the fact that the average consumer doesn't give a fuck about universes) then trades will undoubtedly sell enough to make up the slack.
>>
>>78344947
jesus fucking christ. people want to read fucking batman. they go to a store, there's no singles of batman. they buy the batman trade. what else will they do, stop buying batman because now it costs 15$ to buy a trade which collects 6-7 issues instead of spending 4$ on a 20-page issue?
>>
>>78344947
Probably hates floppies and believes that the entire industry won't totally collapse if they just do what he says.

Too bad publishers, diamond, and LCSes are in a constant state of having a three way mexican stand off. More experimenting would be nice. A Batman digital that goes to trade could probably do pretty well but I imagine LCSes might get angry at that or something.
>>
>>78344956
>>78344974
>>78344987
Like these are piercing arguments when they have continually mismanaged their entire line and most important characters and jettisoned the entire history that made them popular in the first place.
>>
>>78345053
How can you talk about the stagnancy of the industry while arguing it would collapse if things change?
>>
>>78345012
Okay, but why would DC not want 100k+ for 3.99 every month, bringing in a constant, steady source of income to them, LCSes and Diamond?
>>
>>78345060
Lois & Clark are about Superman helping in the shadows while also raising a son, i though superman fans would be all over that shit ? it has everything he had pre zero hour
>>
>>78345060
Titans Hunt is about fixing that, which is what people have been screaming about for about four years now.
>>
First problem if you eliminate the monthly comic: That means less income each month for a comic shop since not every one is going to be able to produce OGNs on a regular basis. On top of that, because of the length in time of a series you may have less regular customers. Yes you can say your
>destroy the comic shops meme
but it means shit because Barnes and Noble isn't exactly doing well in sales. I mean granted it's better than where Borders was at, but still.
And if you want Amazon/Comixology to hold an actual monopoly on digital and physical comics then you didn't really care about Diamond having a monopoly in the first place and pretended you did.
>>
>>78345126
For fucks sake the argument is that the numbers wouldn't change if floppies were eliminated. Leaving off the fact that you are arguing on behalf of a company that clearly cares about sales over content, you are saying that DC should continue down the path that has led to them completely floundering for a while now.
>>
>>78345204
>For fucks sake the argument is that the numbers wouldn't change if floppies were eliminated

But the numbers would change.
>>
>>78345126
but the floppies are what is fucking up the sales of trades. most people won't buy a trade they already have in single issue form. or they just spend their money on several different titles instead of buying a trade. if batman single issues didn't exist, those 100k sales would become the sales of trades, because people want to read batman.
>>
>>78345012
Well now you're explaining it a little better, but you're ignoring factors like how much LCCes would want to order and how many fans would drop off between releases. Paradigm shifts are cool to talk about but in reality it would just piss everyone off and fracture what is already a damaged relationship between DC and basically everyone. Batman might be the only thing that would keep them coming, but it would kill basically every other character. Kind of like people who order HBO only when Game of Thrones is in season but worse since it's literally only paying for one book rather than supporting the company that entire period of time.
>>
>>78345130
>>78345170
I don't know how you can expect a whole company to be miraculously fixed because they've put out a few mediocre products that back pedal on the entire direction they've been going for the past five years. That's a terrible argument.
>>
>>78345226
>those 100k sales would become the sales of trades, because people want to read batman.

Uh no? That's very wishful thinking. The number of people buying a comic monthly would not neccesarily translate to someone buying an OGN, and how often is this OGN going to be out? Yearly?
>>
>>78345251
The argument was that bringing back old elements and writers would fix things when that's not the case.

Honestly that's mostly irrelevant. DC's sales are back to where they were pre-Flashpoint. They have a stable readership mostly. It's just not big enough. They temporarily grew it with the reboot but it's back to where it was.
>>
>>78345251
>people cry about wanting the Titans back
>DC brings Titans back
>people do not support the Titans they wanted back

It is literally the readers' fault for not supporting something they've been screaming about.
>>
>>78345251
Then what's your counterargument?
>>
>>78345130
>>78345170

And neither has been getting huge promotion.

They should have killed the Titan ongoing and rebooted it with the Wolfman Titans and in the case of Superman, banished Nu-52 Superman to only appearing in Action Comics and giving the Superman ongoing to Pre-Flashpoint Superman
>>
>>78345226
see
>>78345192

They want 100k+ at 3.99 every month and 1-2 good selling trades a year rather than 2-4 good selling trades a year.
>>
>>78345284
Those people want the new 52 to end.
>>
>>78345330
> giving the Superman ongoing to Pre-Flashpoint Superman
If it's still written by Jurgens, no thanks.
>>
>>78345192
Amazon buying Comixology was truly a genius move on their end. There's some comics on Google I think too, but it's nothing in comparison.
>>
>>78345284
Leaving out the fact that they are "bringing back old elements and writers" in the most half assed way possible, the problem at DC isn't that they did away with all their history. It's that they didn't replace it with anything and are largely incapable of creating quality stories consistently. And ignoring the fact that they seem to be in panic mode, why do you care how DC is doing financially?
>>
>>78345297
It's getting shit promotion.

Kill the main Titan books and make this the main Titans comic. Go as far as cancelling Grayson and Starfire too for the added bonus of forcing those fans to buy the superior book (Titans Hunt) and giving Titans Hunt HUGE marketing push.

Same with L&C: give it the main Superman ongoing book and push it as the return of the one true Superman, with none of the hiding. Fuck, even KILL the Nu52 Lois and Clark prior to it's launch for added "clearing the decks" since the god-awful outing storyline further killed sales of the book.

Nu52 Supes and Lois are murdered abruptly, the REAL Superman and Lois return, claim they were kidnapped/replaced with fakes to rebottle the genie of Superman being outed PLUS use the "we fell in love while captive" shit to hard reset Lois and Clark/Superman as a couple as they use the cover story to make sure they can be a couple in public and not having to hide their relationship.
>>
>>78342067

DC should be like Marvel and have more diverse comics.

Where is the gay superhero title? Where are the women led titles? Where is the black hero? All they have is Batman..
>>
>>78345257
you think people walk into an LCS and buy only one issue of a comic? they walk in with 20-30 bucks and buy several single issues. if there were no single issues, they would just buy one trade for the same price. trades don't do was well because you have to wait for them and fans want to be kept in the loop of continuity. but if thrades were the first ones to come out...
>>
>>78345300
Write quality stories in a consistent cohesive universe.
>>
>>78345413
So...cancel something actually good(Grayson) so that something bad would MAYBE get more sales. You're a moron.
>>
>>78345297
Yeah man, it's the readers fault that they don't blindly support a company just because they throw them a poorly constructed bone every once in a while.
>>
>>78345413
Or whiny fans could just put their money where their mouth is.
>>
>>78345370
The New 52 is the distillation of everything that's wrong with the company at the moment.
>>
>>78345419
DC will never do that, anon.
Don't you know that DC is sexist, homophobic, anti semitic and Didio and Jim Lee are personally going to lay down bricks for Trump's wall.
>>
So is this thread full of DC shills or what?
>>
>>78345489
Yeah.

They heard the pleas for original Titans, so fans need to show support for it.
If they don't buy it, then DC has no obligation to continue it. They could easily just shorten it like they did Telos and not do Wolfman/original Titans for a few years under the belief nobody really cares.
>>
>>78345257
why not once every two or three months? when N52 started, they had batman, detective comics, batman:the dark knight and five other bat family titles. why not just have one batman title that comes out as a 6-issue trade once every two months?

their output is already 20 comics a week, which would translate to like 4 trades a week so it's not like they don't have the time. so instead of 20 titles every week, one week the batman trade comes out. then the superman trade. then the WW trade. then the JL trade and so on
>>
>>78345550
It seems to mostly be filled with idiots who don't know how comics work.
>>
>>78345457
It's more about demonstrating how DC has no discernible direction and is just a hodge podge of money grabbing schemes. The bottom line is that they don't care about anything except the bottom dollar.
>>
>>78345527
I have yet to see The New 52 publish something on level Identity Crisis, Cry for Justice, or Rise of Arsenal, so that's false
>>
>>78345411
> It's that they didn't replace it with anything

Because you simply can't replace 30 years of history right away. That was my problem with the reboot too, that we would have to wait before anything felt truly cohesive and it's not there yet. It's not going to be there for a while still. That's just the reality of things.

>why do you care how DC is doing financially?

I don't know if I do or not. But I haven't decided to boycott them or anything, so I'd like to know what is and isn't coming and how it might affect creative teams and such going forward. And in that context, it seems logical to discuss the pros and cons of what might help them and also cause the least disruption to the books that are good now.

>largely incapable of creating quality stories consistently.

I'd say that was a pre-Flashpoint issue too. There were maybe 5-10 good books coming out in that last couple of years.
>>
>>78345606
Because comics are doing so well in this day and age and the big 2 are super confident in the direction things are headed.
>>
>>78345606
>It seems to mostly be filled with idiots who don't know how comics work.
/co/.txt
>>
>>78345635
Yes, which is why I'm confused as to why people here think it's either fine as it is or killing off floppies for their biggest names or entirely will fix it.
>>
>>78345615
>>78345627
And there are less than five to ten good books coming out now and there is no consistency or legacy anymore. It's mostly the same people making the same shitty decisions, the delineation between pre and post Flashpoint is meaningless.
>>
>>78345635
comic sales have increased the past couple of years though
>>
Probably wouldn't work, but I'd love to see DC try something like Shonen Jump. Go purely black and white, cheaper paper, rotating titles each week except for a couple of weeklies like Eternal, different genres alongside each other, etc.
>>
>>78345060
Yeah I don't know what they were thinking with core and rebooting characters left and right. The Kents are alive? The only Hawkman is a space cop? Not in MY DC!
>>
>>78345715
Would this be because of variants or because people are actually buying them
>>
>>78345682
If it's not fine as it is, killing off the completely unnecessary yet steadfast tradition of printing physical periodicals is the most obvious step in the right direction.
>>
>>78345692
I'd say it's about the same amount of good and bad books, but yeah. DC is effectively in the same position as they were before and they can't use the nuclear reboot option again. What are they going to do?
>>
>>78345737
Probably actually buying but I haven't looked it up to check. I don't remember Marvel doing the whoring out variants as much before this year though, and we don't have the data for it yet anyway.
>>
>>78345594
week one:batman(issue 1-6)
week two:superman(issue 1-6)
week three:wonder woman(issue 1-6)

and so on. let's say they choose 8 titles to publish. by week 9 you'd have batman again for issues(7-12). tell me this wouldn't be better
>>
>>78345759
I hope you like lots of events and #1s.

But honestly I'd be okay with DC keeping their a list books running while relaunching new, smaller books every year or every other year.
>>
>>78345431
Not that anon, but you don't see how your argument is flawed?

$30 for six comics, might have different artists and writers, characters
$30 for one hardcover or two tpbs. That means that person is going to buy less product. They're less likely to increase their buying budget to $90-180.
>>
>>78342067
You do realize that this means Scott Lobdell will be writing more books, right? He's one of the few writers who'll turn in scripts written on toilet paper
>>
>>78345192
Well, LCS's are just middle-men. really, why the fuck can't dc just open a dc store and marvel a marvel store where they sell their own fucking comics?
>>
>>78342067
If this mean Palmiotti & Conner to be out of the book becuase they are running out of steam, then I am all for it. Some sacrifices must be made for the greater good
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 17

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.