[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why do people like this show? Am I missing something, or is Daria
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 62
Thread images: 7
Why do people like this show? Am I missing something, or is Daria supposed to be unlikeable? She's a bitter, immature, cunt who thinks she's smarter than everyone, but clearly isn't, because life experience has no substitute.
>>
>>78341430
She is one of the more intelligent characters in the show. She's thoughtful, well-read, and gets people easily. Though she's not supposed to be perfect. They may play it off like that in the first season or show, where the premise is mainly Daria vs the idiots, but in the later seasons there's more character development and introspection and finally Daria realizes that her attitude does have negative effects on others.
>>
>>78341430
Spoken like an old man with no education.

She's Lisa Simpson. People should treat her accordingly.
>>
>>78341430
people like you disturb me deeply
>>
>>78341430
you have to watch this as a teenager to understand
>>
>>78341525
I thought the whole point of the last episode is that she doesn't have negative effects on others. it's just what she said all along: people don't enjoy having complex things to think about, and she makes them think. unpleasantness is not harm, unless you're a safespace person
she briefly worried that it was her fault her parents fought, but they confirmed it wasn't and that they're happy to have her, confusingly complex issues and all
>>
>>78341643
Why? Because I believe that most people are good, and that anyone who thinks they're better than most others is more likely a bitter, jaded person?
>>
>>78341430
the fuck happened to her bangs?
>>78341684
most people are morally good deep inside, but this isn't about that, it's about intelligence and general ethics. In that regard, most people suck. and society values it less and less as time goes on. if you don't see idiots everywhere: congratulations, you're the idiot
>>
File: 1436901329026.jpg (37 KB, 177x278) Image search: [Google]
1436901329026.jpg
37 KB, 177x278
>>78341684
>most people are good
>>
>>78341684
What you actually believe is that you are good and anyone who criticize you is not worthy of consideration. Moreso, you believe that being jadded and bitter is somehow invalidate their cricism without considering what might've made them so.
>>
File: 1398118026921.gif (1 MB, 292x278) Image search: [Google]
1398118026921.gif
1 MB, 292x278
>>78341738
>>78341746
>>
>>78341764
What I believe is that the older I get, the more I realize those those who succeed in life see the good in people, are not cynical, but approach people and situations with love and benefit of the doubt. The miserable people who blame everyone but themselves, are those who no one likes, and do not succeed in their endeavors.
>>
>>78341765
indeed. the only thing fedora types have right is their general attitude towards how many people are smart
unfortunately they value the wrong people. and daria shows realistic signs of that from time to time, when she gets a little political. But one assumes she grows out of that once she has more people of decent intelligence to actually develop her worldview with
>>
>>78341765
>most people are good
>memeposting

I should have recognized you earlier, Reddit.
>>
>>78341797
in case you havent noticed, success is generally handed to those who haven't earned it, but instead just 'play the game'
>>
>>78341813
What was the old saying, individuals are good, people are terrible?
>>
>>78341430
She's not supposed to be likable for the most part. Jane is a way better person than her. If you keep watching it, Daria eventually starts realizing that she's a pretty big hypocrite and her mother even calls her out on it once.
>>
Personality like Daria's work only if you are super genius who gets nothing but A in akk fields from elementary to your PhD.

Or if you are a millionaire.
>>
>>78341797
Yeah, that's why they crashed the economy with no survivors recently by trying to grab something for nothing.

Maybe they do see good in people, as they swindle them.
>>
>>78341797
>approach people and situations with love and benefit of the doubt
I used to be like this until I started working retail.
>>
>>78341907
Fair enough, I worked retail during summers in college, and holy shit is it soul crushing. Thank god most other industries are not like that.
>>
>>78341823
How is playing the game not work? You're valuing one type of hard work over another because you think you're above it.
>>
>>78341937
Well, it's work. So is slave trade or highwaymanship.
>>
>>78341843
she's likeable to us
though less likeable each time I watch it.. and yeah her mom is the only one who ever calls her on her shit because her mom's actually pretty smart. which is basically daria's problem. No role models, no attention where it's needed.
>>78341937
it's collaboration
>>
>>78341430
>is Daria supposed to be unlikeable?

No, she's supposed to be a teenager.

More specifically, she's the teenager that a lot of us were. She says the things my 15 year old self liked to think I would have been confident or clever enough to say. She wasn't one of the stereotypical 'in' kids. She was different, like I thought that I was.

Except she's not. She's not smarter that the people around her, just more cynical. Her deep insights are only deep if you don't think about them too much. Her love life was more embarrassing than anything else and lets be honest, we'd rather spend time with some of the 'stupid normal people' on the show than with her.
>>
>>78342560
>and lets be honest, we'd rather spend time with some of the 'stupid normal people' on the show than with her.

speak for yourself
>>
>>78342560
So just like Calvin and Hobbes. As Watterson said, "Some people are a bit puzzled by Calvin's dialog, but they should understand that he's not supposed to represent a literal 6 year old. In any case, the running gag in the strip is more that he uses elaborate, florid words to describe what are really stupid, childish ideas."
>>
Well duh. A lot of us at 15 thought we were a lot smarter than we were, or if we were actually intelligent, we didn't have the maturity to go along with it.
>>
Daria never really acts like a cunt though. She never really talks until spoken to.
>>
>>78345357
I assume this is lost on a lot of people here who have black and white thinking and need to take sides in everything.
>>
Daria was a show for it's time period and one that does not work well when viewed outside of said context.

It's a show that embodies the pre-9/11 worldview of teenagers, who grew up realizing the world was full of shit and the game rigged, but being helpless to stop the crushing push for conformity. The soul numbing push from parents and schools to "fit in" and not buck the status quo of everything is perfect and everyone is so great and optimistic. She fits the late 90s zeitgeist which was completely destroyed with the terror attacks on September 11th, which effectively doomed the show to be frozen in time as a capsule of that period of American life.
>>
>>78345999
Would disagree if only in the sense that Daria was ahead of the times in terms of being a harbinger of life post-Sept 11th. Once the real world caught up with Daria's cynical worldview, she was no longer needed.

The fact that Daria went off the air like, a month before 9-11, adds to this context. She was our warning of the bleakness that lied ahead.
>>
>>78341430
>Am I missing something, or is Daria supposed to be unlikeable?
A bit of both anon. a bit of both.

If you were as mature as you posture to be, you'd understand how much of a tool you were as a teenager.
>>
>>78346079
Not exactly true.

The ongoing series ended the summer of 2001 but the finale/coda ("Is It College Yet?") did not air until January 2002.
>>
File: 1439768510992.jpg (76 KB, 762x699) Image search: [Google]
1439768510992.jpg
76 KB, 762x699
>>78345999
>worldview of teenagers, who grew up realizing the world was full of shit and the game rigged, but being helpless to stop the crushing push for conformity. The soul numbing push from parents and schools to "fit in" and not buck the status quo of everything is perfect and everyone is so great and optimistic
Yeah no, that's still happening. Every fucking retarded generation think they're the first to find out that the world ain't cool, yo.
>>
>>78346155
Daria's plight was generation specific Gen Y faggot.

Daria represented the late 90s "white kid's burden" where you had to be perfect and super-conform to succeed and where any sort of being different led to society smacking you down.
>>
Sometimes wonder how Daria would have continued post-911.

Ms Li would be in full lockdown "terrorists are coming to kill your babies" mode at the school.

Ms Barch would once again be using the NSA to try and eliminate Mr DiMartino for the crime of being born a man

Brittany would piss off Kevin by getting a waiver to join the military before the age of 18, before Kevin could do it, making him be a military husband

Jane would probably get shit on doing 911 terrorist attack artwork

Quinn and the Fashion Club would probably run a couple of scams trying to get press attention doing fundraisers for the victims of the attacks that don't earn a dime.

Daria would probably write some sort of editorial piece that triggers everyone that gets published in the paper.
>>
>>78342560
>and lets be honest, we'd rather spend time with some of the 'stupid normal people' on the show than with her.
No, I'd prefer to spend time with the "just normal people", like Jane and Mac
>>
>>78346241
Nah, fag, was born in 1985, have worked with teenagers recently and have some knowledge of teenagers before my time.
Daria and her surroudings are just generic teenagers, there isn't that much that's era specific besides the tone.

You always feel the need to conform to something as a teenager, whatever it may be (you'll notice Daria doesn't present anything as what you objectively should be), the "OMG I'm such a special rejected snowflake and I can't interact with other teenagers" is a sentiment common to every generation of teenagers way before you and I were born.
>>
>>78346321
Daria was never really that topical of a show, no need for that.
>>
>>78346241
>Daria represented the late 90s "white kid's burden" where you had to be perfect and super-conform to succeed and where any sort of being different led to society smacking you down.

When has that ever not been true?
>>
>>78346241
nah she just represents general 90s teen cynicism
>>
She has German roots.
All Germans are like that.
>>
>>78346241
Gen Xers you mean? Millenials were teens in the 2000s not the 90s.
>>
>>78348063
The oldest Millenials would have reached adolescence in the late 90s. There was a definite generational shift at that time when you can see all those Gen Xer bands give way to nu metal and other music styles that were a Millenial thing.
>>
>>78341430
Exactly.

Her character is the hero of all know-it-all cunts who think they're the only person on Earth with a brain and the reason they aren't popular is because they're "too deep."

That's why every single person who likes Daria is an insufferable piece of fucking shit with an ego the size of a planet to go with their pin-sized head.
>>
>>78350988
you'd have a point
except we're right, see. she WAS the only one with a brain around. it's not an ego when you wish you WEREN'T the only smart one.
>>
>>78350988
>Her character is the hero of all know-it-all cunts who think they're the only person on Earth with a brain and the reason they aren't popular is because they're "too deep."

Yeah I know that feel. We've all been that guy at some point.
>>
>>78350988

What, people only like shows where they identify with and empathize with the main character?

Daria's just a typical sitcom... didn't-fit-in but came-out-ok slice-of-life teenager stuff. You can appreciate something without it being a total jerkoff escapist fantasy. Yeah, the people who see it that way, the teens who wish they could "be" Daria and say smart-ass shit might identify with her. Most people grow out/over it at some point.

The show's decent. Worse animated sitcoms have been made. Pop culture in the 90s was a wreck but a few good things came out of it.
>>
>>78341430
>clearly isn't
Bitter dumbass confirmed. Just because Daria was bitter doesn't somehow make other people smarter. Her perfect on off foil was that other smart black chick. They were on the same level intelligence wise but had different out looks on life. Some of the best development was seeing how the two of them would spin the same situations differently or take on a bit of the others attitude.
>>
>>78351849
Yes it is because it means that you think you are presently the only smart person.
>>
>>78342594
>>and lets be honest, we'd rather spend time with some of the 'stupid normal people' on the show than with her.
>speak for yourself

Amen—speak for yourself.

I'd like to know Daria, Jane, Tom, and maybe Jodie in real life were they suddenly to exist. I'd happily date Jane or Jodie.
Even if Daria's cynicism might be a little too extreme for me at times, she's not the horrible person OP seems to want her to be.
>>
She's a 90's teen. Grungy, apathetic, snarky, bored. She exists in that time period, so unless you were a teenager around that time, you probably wouldn't get it.
>>
>>78341430
>Am I missing something, or is Daria supposed to be unlikeable?
Yes.
>She's a bitter, immature, cunt who thinks she's smarter than everyone, but clearly isn't, because life experience has no substitute.
Yes, people aren't perfect.
>>
>>78352415
I'm the man in the box
Buried in my shit
Won't you come and save me
>>
>>78341430
She is a juxtapose for a load of people who see how fucked things are but can't fix it.
>>
>>78352862
I was a teenager back then and oh please God no, I don't ever want to be reminded of alternative bands. God that stuff was so fucking awful when I look back on it. What was I and everyone else thinking?
>>
File: sure.png (188 KB, 512x487) Image search: [Google]
sure.png
188 KB, 512x487
>>78353099
>Alice in Chains
>Alternative
>Bad
>>
>>78341797
Don't worry, one day you'll become an adult and it will all make sense.
>>
File: no703.jpg (142 KB, 1249x684) Image search: [Google]
no703.jpg
142 KB, 1249x684
>>78341684
>>
>>78346485
You mean Mac-daddy.
>>
>>78341430
Shes the personification of the snarky ironic blasé teenager
Pretty much that kid who had already grown disillusioned with the world and was kind of a bitch about it
A lot of people latch onto that but she's not really presented in overtly positive or negative light

Quin and Jane were the best characters in the show desu
Thread replies: 62
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.