[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What are some good one-off Superman stories? Not big important
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 6
What are some good one-off Superman stories?

Not big important events, or 12 part epics, or giant crossovers, just small, short, self-contained stories about Superman being Superman?
>>
>>78331437
>good
>Superman stories
That's an oxymoron.
>>
What's so Funny about Truth, Justice, and the American Way?

Really short story, totally gets superman and shits all over people who don't get superman, got adapted into an animated movie as well.
>>
>>78331437
Pretty much all of Superman Adventures.
>>
All Star Superman
>>
>>78331539
>>78331516
>>78331511

Yeah, but I mean, even in just the 30 or so years since Man of Steel, there have to have been some good individual stories in the main books, right?
>>
Peace on Earth
Superman Adventures #41
Hitman #34
Superman For the Animals
Action Comics #775
Action Comics #800
Action Comics v2 #0
Superman v2 #131
>>
Superman for All Seasons
For the Man Who Has Everything
Superman: Secret Identity

>>78331574
What's so Funny about Truth, Justice, and the American Way? was in Action Comics
>>
>>78331505
Then there's always faggots like this
>>
>>78331961
Don't reply to trolls. If people ignore like two troll posts then it's a good thread but if you argue with one then the whole thread turns into a flame war.
>>
>>78331643
>>78331574

Also try Superman 666. It's a gimmick issue based on the fact that it's issue 666, but it's amazing in it's own way.
>>
I always hear about how great a character Superman is, and I've read stories like Whatever Happened to Truth. Justice and the American Way and Hero's Journey and All Star and whatnot, but nobody can ever really point to any actual Superman stories to prove it.

I've seen lots of expositing on the IDEA of Superman, but very few nitty-gritty examples of what they're talking about.

Hell, one of the most often recommended stories is Red Son. It appears on every Superman recommendation list I've ever seen, and it's an alternate universe.

Where are all the ACTUAL Superman stories everybody keeps insisting are so great?
>>
Red Son, Speeding Bullets, and I heard The Nail is pretty good.
>>
>>78332372
Timm's Justice League cartoon is what got most of the current fans into superman
>>
>>78331437
I like Action Comics v2 #40, it's a Bizarro story. Nothing special, just really fun. Great art too.
>>
>>78332372
Those ARE Superman stories.
>>
Those are always the best. Why is that? Long, convoluted events that take a shit ton of previous reading to understand or long continuity are usually just okay.

One off stories with any superheroes tend to be really good and usually the most memorable.
>>
>>78332466
they're metatextual stories about the superman archetype rather than good stories about the character doing what he does
they're the garfield minus garfield equivilent
>>
>>78331437
Hitman, forgot which issue
>>
>>78332482
>One off stories with any superheroes tend to be really good and usually the most memorable.

And the most hard to find. Hardly anyone does them anymore, at least for Batman and Superman. I remember being really excited for Buccellato and Manupul's Detective Comics, because it was just Batman being Batman and solving crimes, which was something we hadn't gotten much of in years. Then Jim-Bats happened, and it was still well-written, just...more of the same.
>>
>>78332540
This. One offs just let the hero be who he or she is.
>>
>>78332510
Hitman 34
Action comics 0 (Morrison)
Birthright
Adventures of superman
For all seasons
For the Man who has Everything

Are a few of my faves that are "in continuity"
>>
Whatever happened to the man of tomorrow.
Superman and Swamp thing

Multiversity Mastermen is a really great Superman story. Much better than Red Son, which was quite mediocre.
>>
>>78332651

>Hitman 34
>Action comics 0 (Morrison)
>For all seasons

Exactly the kind of "We swear this character is great" metatextual stories that everyone's already read

>Birthright
Just an updated origin, and not quite as good as Man of Steel

>Adventures of superman
Incredibly generic suggestion. Just, an entire volume?

>For the Man who has Everything
The only actual suggestion that fits the bill OP is talking about. Except everybody's already read this, because it's famous.
>>
I can't remember the issue, but the new 52 story where he fought the girl that couldn't feel anything.
>>
>>78332730
So you're asking for an in-continuity, one-off, that is just a basic story with nothing substantial to say? I don't think there a lot of modern examples of that for most superheroes desu
>>
>>78333137
>nothing substantial to say

Right, a superhero story.

Action Comics vol. 1 ran for 904 issues, 320 of which featured the modern post-Byrne incarnation of Superman.

Are you telling me that every single one of those issues was a meditation on the archetype of Superman, and not just stories about Superman actually doing Superman stuff and fighting villains?
>>
The Curt Swan stuff?
>>
>>78333224
There were but they were told in arcs though not one-offs unless they wanted to mediate on a character. If you want a good Superman arc or multi-issue story I'm sure there's plenty of suggestions out there but otherwise don't be such a shithead to people trying to help you because you're new to the genre.
>>
New 52 Superman #39
Not GOAT, but pretty good
>>
>>78332411
>The Nail
It is good. Very good. It was storytimed couple of months ago.
>>
>>78332730
>Exactly the kind of "We swear this character is great" metatextual stories that everyone's already read
>Hitman #34
>Metatexual
Are you brain damaged?
>>
>>78333370
Hitman #34 is Garth Ennis using his character to give a filibuster on why he loves Superman. That's the point of the issue. It's Ennis' defence of Superman.
>>
File: ADVSM_48_300-005.jpg (131 KB, 630x484) Image search: [Google]
ADVSM_48_300-005.jpg
131 KB, 630x484
>>78331437
Not sure if it what he >>78331516 means but the Digital First issues (2013-2014) Adventures of Superman are all self-contained stories that run 1 to 3 issues. There are three trades. The Ron Marz story, "Only Child" with great art by Evan "Doc" Shaner, as is the "Flowers for Bizarro" story by Christos Gage, and a really extraordinary "Strange Visitor" by Joe Keatinge (picture related).

There are some more listings here:
http://comicsalliance.com/adventures-superman-digital-comics-best-stories-list-dc/
>>
File: sm164-fight.jpg (2 MB, 1332x2049) Image search: [Google]
sm164-fight.jpg
2 MB, 1332x2049
>>78331437
I'd say the silver age story where Superman and Lex go to another Planet to settle their feud with a fistfight is pretty good.

The Miraculous Return of Jonathon Kent, and the Double or Nothing Life of Superman is also good, but they're like two or three issue arcs.
>>
>>78332510
>they're metatextual stories about the superman archetype rather than good stories about the character doing what he does

Good superman stories doing the thing he does are always going to come off as archetypal. because he's the guy that created the archetype in the first place.
They're not even that metatextual. You want to see metatextual? Read Whatever Happened to the Caped Crusader.
>>
File: 1423183359085.jpg (617 KB, 1920x1476) Image search: [Google]
1423183359085.jpg
617 KB, 1920x1476
>>78333224
That one where he teams up with the Iron Giant.
I have no idea what number it is or what line but damn if I didn't save this page.

Which reminds me, I need to edit this into a wallpaper.
>>
File: Superman - Secret Identity.jpg (61 KB, 600x924) Image search: [Google]
Superman - Secret Identity.jpg
61 KB, 600x924
>>78331643
>Superman: Secret Identity

Superman - Secret Identity 001 (of 4) (2004) (Digital-HR) (Minutemen-PhD)
http://www4.zippyshare.com/v/U6LCF2KI/file.html

Superman - Secret Identity 002 (of 4) (2004) (Digital-HR) (Minutemen-PhD)
http://www4.zippyshare.com/v/fcyBpvy3/file.html

Superman - Secret Identity 003 (of 4) (2004) (Digital-HR) (Minutemen-PhD)
http://www4.zippyshare.com/v/ONS8oJWH/file.html

Superman - Secret Identity 004 (of 4) (2004) (Digital-HR) (Minutemen-PhD)
http://www4.zippyshare.com/v/JiwrQhAV/file.html
>>
>>78331437
>>78332372
The Busiek John's stories are good, in canon and Up, Up and Away can be read as a single shot (it's a 4-5 issue trade compilation). There's tons of stories which are good, any of the digital first ones are perfect examples of the IDEA as you put it.
>>
>Give me examples.
>No! Not those ones!

This thread.
>>
>>78332711
>Multiversity Mastermen is a really great Superman story. Much better than Red Son, which was quite mediocre.

I don't think WHttMoT is as good as everyone says it it, except some of the art is really great (the time sphere with the capes is a great shot, for example), but generally I'm not fond of the wrapping up all the characters as Mxy going berserk and them all dying though I suppose what they are doing now in the new Lois & Clark book would be the follow-through with Kal not being de-powered.
>>
>>78333425
Superman Adventures was a comic based on the Superman cartoon that was written by Scott McCloud and Mark Millar.
>>
>>78332730
>Action comics 0 (Morrison)
Saying this is metatextual is ridiculous. It's like saying that the American Alien stories are metatextual because they cover ground that's been written about before. The hero is an archetype.

There are not very many new stories period. So everyone has read every story already. This is the point here, and doesn't mean that a writer cannot find some new tweak, twist or element that shows a new angle, or simply strikes an emotional chord with readers.

Are you just here to troll?
>>
File: ADVSM-15-6-60c6e.jpg (343 KB, 900x1384) Image search: [Google]
ADVSM-15-6-60c6e.jpg
343 KB, 900x1384
>>78333529
It's the Ron Marz one I mentioned above - with great art by Shaner, "Only Child." And yeah, all the art in it is pretty great.
Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.