[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I never understood this episode. Is it because I'm too high
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 8
File: 1200.jpg (92 KB, 1200x675) Image search: [Google]
1200.jpg
92 KB, 1200x675
I never understood this episode. Is it because I'm too high class, or not high class enough?
>>
I dunno, give me your info so I can see your balance and I'll let you know.
>>
>>78330036
>I never understood this episode. Is it because I'm too high class, or not high class enough?

More likely just a general lack of life experience.
>>
File: 463.jpg (19 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
463.jpg
19 KB, 480x360
>lower middle class white mother of 3
>finds nice thing for cheap
>uses nice thing to get nice things from people above her social class
>gets really superficial and vain about it
>ignores or puts down her family because she wants to look good for people that would never accept them
>eventually learns this lesson and they all go home

what's not to get
>>
>>78330036
Plebs want to be Patrician.
American Middle Class has a hardon for seeming a higher class than what they are.

That's what the episode as about.
Marge the Pleb wanting to seem Patrician.
That's what jobless women care most about. Appearing to be grander than they are
>>
why was Marge in the wrong in this episode?
>>
>>78330302
She had an open door into the high life, and her attempts to fit in end up alienating her from the family. The means she resorted to doing so (forcing the family to act nice to fit into a lifestyle they could care less about, blowing the family savings behind their back) were turning her into a pretty shallow person.
>>
>>78330302
Trying to live beyond your station is sacrilege.
Know your place, Pleb.
>>
>country club has already excepted the family despite their poor status
>everyone is happy benefitting from the country club
>ask family to behave for just one night
>suddenly you're a monstet
>>
>>78330036
Maybe you're just stupid.
>>
File: f7FdEdG.jpg (10 KB, 260x194) Image search: [Google]
f7FdEdG.jpg
10 KB, 260x194
>>78330523
pretty much this
>>
>>78330302
Because she was "pretending to be something she's not." It was muddied because the rich people didn't actually see her for what she was pretending to be, but saw her for what she was and still accepted her, but "muddied moral values" is an early-Simpsons staple. It's not a good ending or a bad ending, it's just an ending.
>>
>>78330523
None of them knew that at the time though cause everyone just talked shit about them when they were around. Plus Marge was being kind of douchey.
>>
>>78330523
She tried to hide her lifestyle, there is no reason to think the others knew what they were really like, tried making them walk from the gate so they could hide their car from everyone and so on.
>everyone is happy benefitting from the country club
Only at first she then criticized her whole family to not be themselves and enjoy it the way they wanted, they are their to impress others.
>ask family to behave for just one night
She put down her whole family and not just for one night, besides would that have been the only time she would have expected them to behave? Unlikely.
She was willing to shit on her family to impress people she was never willing to let get to know her, the whole thing was based on falsehoods and deceit.
>>
It wasn't that she, along the rest of the family, was enjoying the perks of the country club.
She was keeping up a lie for her own gain, and dragging her entire family with her.
Sure, they all found fun things to do at the club. But none of them really felt like they belonged, they were just taking advantage of it.
Marge desperately wanted to be one of those wealthy friends, with their "classy" lives she couldn't dream to have with her family's economy. It was selfish.
>>
>>78330523

1) It was a joke

2) Marge didn't know they were going to accept them, and was fully prepared to spend the whole rest of their membership having her family pretending to be someone they weren't.

3) When she realized the above, she known she had gone too far.
>>
>>78330151
>That's what jobless women care most about. Appearing to be grander than they are
Ha ha you think that a job makes a difference in that behavior.
>>
>>78330648
>I hope she didn't take my attempts to destroy her too seriously.
>>
>>78330612
Maybe that specific club was old money or something, because I've worked at a country club for 10 years and none of the members were at all hoity toity. A good number of them drive Hondas.

Now, what got me from this episode wasn't that they'd be let in, but that they wouldn't have been able to afford the dues. Marge had to clean out their entire savings for a goddamned dress, membership at the club I worked at was over $25,000 a year... and that was just for the privilege of being able to walk in. There are separate fees for being able to play golf, tennis, swim in the pool, etc.
>>
>>78331993
>membership at the club I worked at was over $25,000 a year...

That's... ridiculous. What do they do there that could possibly be worth paying over 2k+ a month for?
>>
>>78332439
The thing about country clubs is that it's mostly about the networking. Beyond that it's pretty much just a fancier YMCA, restaurant, and party center.
>>
File: 1447000645915.png (355 KB, 384x351) Image search: [Google]
1447000645915.png
355 KB, 384x351
>>78330151
>American Middle Class has a hardon for seeming a higher class than what they are.
It's kind of a love/hate relationship from what I've seen. I've been watching a lot of Lifetime movies and while the protagonist is often trying to climb the social ladder as if the viewer can relate to this ambition, the upper class characters are always portrayed very negatively and the protagonist always ends up deciding something else is more important than more money or status.
>>
>>78332439
It's to keep out the people that can't afford it.
>>
>>78330151
I worked at Macy's in a nice area and holy shit there were a lot of these women.

The worst were the middle aged mid life crisis bitches who acted like they were 15, also got a lot of horny cougars which is how I finally got laid.
>>
This episode wasn't well-liked if old alt.tv.simpsons posts are an indication, although I personally enjoy it.
>>
>>78332439
the prestige
the whole point of a prestige club is than to give you something 'lesser' people can never have, even if it's just rubbing shoulders with people also not 'lesser'
>>
>>78331993
>Maybe that specific club was old money or something, because I've worked at a country club for 10 years and none of the members were at all hoity toity. A good number of them drive Hondas.

It seems like an outdated stereotype left over from the 1950s; in fact the Simpsons actually did make fun of the old money vs noveau rich thing in Monty Can't Buy Me Love.
>>
>>78332712
>the upper class characters are always portrayed very negatively and the protagonist always ends up deciding something else is more important than more money or status.

That's because you realize that money can't buy you happiness if you can't be happy to begin with and that the grass is always greener on the other side.
>>
>>78333435
>That's because you realize that money can't buy you happiness
Well actually it can. Rich people live longer, are better educated, and have better health care than Bubba von Trailer Park.
>>
>>78333475
And yet the most consistently happy people are ones that make less in a lifetime than you do in a year.
>>
>>78330036
the fuck is with the right mirror?
is that cleavage or soemthing else?
>>
File: image.jpg (23 KB, 503x292) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
23 KB, 503x292
>>78333768
>>
>>78333902
I don't think it's supposed to be cleavage, see how there's a small break and the line continues?
>>
>>78333902
It's a couple of lines on the mirror itself.
>>
>>78330117

I liked the twist that the upper class people ended up being pretty chill and where ready to accept her with open arms
>>
>>78330117
>people that would never accept them
this is wrong though, which makes your interpretation wrong
>>
>>78330151
This is in no way exclusive to America, English social climber is practically an entire genre and there are plenty of french examples.
>>
>>78330036
Probably neither, just socially retarded. Any class can understand trying to fit in.
>>
>>78334559
indeed. pretty accurate, only poorsorts give a fuck about classism. rich people have the luxury of relaxing (unless theyre fucking CEOs or something) so they just like who they like
>>
>>78332557

this is actually true. in many country clubs you have to be sponsored by a member (or members!) to even have the privilege of paying to be there. Joining a country club usually means you've "made it" to the point you're connected with local wealthy people.
>>
>>78339534
>>78334559
This twist was hammered home like 3 times. Once when marge is called out by the sassy drunk who makes fun of her "Mangled suit", it was mean of her to say but it shows that she wasn't fooling anyone by altering her clothes, then again when we learn they we're going to accept her as she is. Then when we get the typial sitcom ending with the status quo firmly reestablished the rug is yanked once again when the Krusty Burger employee says "I'd rather be anywhere than this place."

Just a solid episode.
>>
>>78341171
I imagine it's worth it tho if you're a self made guy or a local politician.
Want you kids in a good school, BOOM your buddies with the Dean.
Want to close a sale? Take your client for steaks at the club.
Your nephew wants to become a cop? Talk to the local police chief and tell him what a great guy he is.
>>
>>78336847
Ofc a little different in Europe since Europeans historically had a caste system whereby you had to be born into the aristocracy to be part of it. There wasn't social mobility the way there is here.
>>
File: mommommommom.png (208 KB, 427x316) Image search: [Google]
mommommommom.png
208 KB, 427x316
Marge did nothing wrong.
>>
>>78330523
the scene with Mr Burns and the cake was so sad
>>
File: sweating jaegers.png (2 MB, 1876x1864) Image search: [Google]
sweating jaegers.png
2 MB, 1876x1864
>>78332882
Do you think they also go to Kohls? There's one close to my house that's hiring.
>>
>>78346102
>I pickled the figs myself
>>
>>78334180
Right, cause just asking someone how happy they are will get you a very easily-quantifiable, accurate measure of their overall happiness.

That's how that works. Good statistics. Good science.
>>
>>78330612 That last sentence reminds me of dialogue from yet another episode of the Simpsons right before the credits

Homer: I'm confused...is this a good ending, or a bad ending?

Marge: *angry* It's an ending. That's enough.
Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.