[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Did king of the hill ever become "zombified"? Do you
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 3
Did king of the hill ever become "zombified"?

Do you think it worsened with time?
>>
>>78328239
That episode with the Canadian neighbor was all wrong. That's not the kind of neighbor Hank is. That season was beginning to push the envelope.
>>
I wouldn't go as far as "zombified" because it was never as obviously dead as Simpsons. I would say it lost a lot of its original charm in the later seasons though.
>>
File: 08 - yYQYZyL.jpg (31 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
08 - yYQYZyL.jpg
31 KB, 480x360
>>78328239
King of the Hill didn't really become "zombified" but it did start to shift in how the comedy was done.
>>
Who gives. A shit? What are the best moments when that dumb cunt Peggy gets btfo
>>
>>78328397
Kind of hard to top dropping out of a plane with a bad parachute.
>>
>>78328239
I don't think you quite understand why zombie Simpsons 'zombified'. It's not merely because the newer shit isn't as good as the older stuff, it's because absolutely nobody who worked on it during it's golden era (aside from the voice actors) worked on it during it's decline.

When a show goes on for a long time, it's writers may become exhausted for ideas, but it's still the same creative force behind it. With The Simpsons, it may look the same, but whatever was going on up in it's head is long gone. Y'know, like a zombie.
>>
It started to go downhill when Lucky became a regular cast member.
>>
>>78328397
Remember when, as a substitute Spanish teacher, she took her class on a field trip to a back alley butcher shop in Mexico and her Spanish was so bad she kidnapped a child? And when she returned the child she thought the angry mob was coming to celebrate her? And she still got off scott free because her Spanish was just that horrendous?
>>
>>78328505
Remember when her mother condemned all her life choices for not breeding herself with a rich neighboring rancher?
>>
Later seasons weren't quite as good as earlier seasons (Hair Today Gone Tomorrow comes to mind), but there are still some good ones.

Also I happen to like Lucky
>>
>>78328571
Remember when her mom was a completely different person who was gave Peggy a book about flowers because she didn't have the nerves to giver her 'the talk'?
>>
I think it got worse starting with about season 7 or 8, but not to the point of it being complete shit like Simpsons-- usually just boring at its worst. There were some outright bad episodes occasionally, but they weren't the standard.

For me, it's not the kind of decline that makes me constantly specify "I only like OLD King of the Hill," but if I'm watching an episode, it is probably one from earlier in the series just because I find them funnier/more entertaining.

Also I have no problem at all with Lucky.
>>
>>78328729
Remember when her mom was a completely different person on like 5 separate occasions?

They never really had a set character for her.
>>
>>78328764
5 moms and no dad. Love to be a ghost in that house.
>>
>>78328239
it... started to wear a bit thin. parts of it were definitely running on autopilot. if you go look up that "rulebook" for the show, you know the one, the one that includes "don't draw peggy too sexy" and such.. the later show started breaking all of those rules.

but zombie? hell no. at its worst it was still a fine show
>>
>>78328804
her dad was a quiet old rancher with funny stuff to say. i loved him
>>
>>78329275
I thought that was her granddad.
>>
>>78328239

As soon as they added Lucky.
What an awful character.
>>
>>78328239
it never really did, but there were more and more clunkers as the seasons went by
>>
>>78329257
Rulebook was actually made in the middle of the series because some of the crew thought the animation was getting too off at times

So I think some of the things they pointed out were always problems, not things they avoided for the entire series that then manifested later
>>
It definitely got worse when Lucky became a main character.
>>
>>78330118
Dude come on Lucky as a character was great. It just forced more Luanne into the episodes, and a Flanderized Luane at that.
>>
>>78328239
I think it ended in a good spot before things got out of hand.

Now we just gotta hope it doesn't ever come back like Futurama.
>>
>>78328239
It never went Zombie, but the final few seasons were kinda bordering towards it in a few episodes.
>>
>>78328239
I blame Fox for not letting them have continuity and treating them like another Simpsons. That kinda exasperated the flanderizations, like Dale's paranoia/gullibility, Bill's pathetic-ness, and Peggy's constant ego tripping.
>>
>people blaming lucky for the shows somewhat decline

The reason the later seasons were a bit of a step down was because they stopped doing character driven arcs, made jarring contradictions to past episodes, and cartoonified the characters personalities. This started like, a few seasons before Lucky even first appeared.
>>
Needed more lewd wives.
>>
>>78328341
hi Mr. Enter, don't you have a Fluttershy plushie you should be fucking
>>
>>78328503
>>78330118
>not liking Lucky
white Ameripurist detected
>>
>>78331561
Dude, are you seriously defending the Canadian neighbors episode?
>>
>>78329366

http://imgur.com/a/PiJLk

said rulebook
if anyone is interested.
>>
>>78331547
mihn a hot. A HOT!
>>
>>78331493

Question, what did Lucky add to the show exactly? I don't recall finding his presence funny at any point.
>>
>>78331847
Peggy, Mihn. and Luanne are my personal favorites. Never much cared for Nancy.
>>
>>78331737
>not smiling or laughing Boomhauer
Shit rule book.
>>
Even if it introduced Lucky, my favorite episode is The Redneck on Rainy Street
>We escape horrible dictatorship. We bust our asses off to get here, and people tell us you work too hard, you TRY too hard.
>>
>>78328341
Hank was the kind of neighbor he is but the Canadians pushed him over the edge
>>
>>78331737
Man reading through this these guys put a lot of effort into their work.
>>
>>78331602
Ignore him. He does this whenever people say modern family guy sucks, aswell.
>>
I didn't say he was funny or a good character. Just that he's far from being the main reason the later seasons werent as consistently good as the early seasons.
>>
>>78332191
meant for >>78331900
>>
>>78331900
Lucky didn't really add to the show, but by himself he didn't detract from it either.
The problem was what his presence meant for other characters. When he hooked up with Luann, it began a sort of regression from her character.
Lucky himself wasn't actually responsible for this as a character on his own. He actually could have complemented Luann quite well...
If Luann had become a mechanic.
In early seasons, Luann is shown to have a knack for working with cars. Something the writers just seemed to have forgotten when making her an airhead seemed funnier.
Lucky, meanwhile, is closely associated with his truck (and slipping on things).
If these two character traits were combined, Lucky could have been a more cohesive part of Luann's character arc (from beauty school, to college, to technical school, to owning her own garage.) than he ended up being.
Instead...she goes full on shotgun-wedding-babymama who can SOMEHOW still afford a house despite him having no income and her being a hairdresser.
>>
There was a slight decline in the show, but it's still watchable. It never reached Simpsons, Family Guy, or South Park levels of 'What they hell were they thinking?'.
>>
>>78331900
Hillbilly zen.
>>
>>78332097
But that's not how Hank would react to it. He'd nail him with a city ordinance violation, and then if Canadick upped the ante to destruction of property or harassment, he'd kick his ass.
>>
>>78328503
This right here. He was clearly an attempt to keep the show going by throwing in a new character.
>>
>>78331049
The only time Luane was remotely competent was literally the first couple episodes, when she's basically a female hank.

After that, she's always a bimbo of the highest order.
>>
>>78328239
Not really. You can tell they were running out of ideas since they were doing more really silly plot lines in the last seasons (train mystery, trans fats, myspace, hip mom, etc), but they were still fairly entertaining. It was fun and prolly coulda gone on for another season or two before reaching zombie status.
>>
>>78334998
I found it got boring and really silly. Like the one where Hank thinks two parents are being sticks in the mud when it comes to their kids doing normal kid stuff and it turns out both kids are special medical snowflakes that require special attention after Hank fucks up when he makes them act crazy when treating them like regular kids by giving them video games and candy. None of it would have happened had the parents just explained why they were raising their kids that specific way the first time they met. Those types of parents usually go out of their way to make sure everyone knows that kind of thing. Instead it gets instantly hostile between the two groups.
>>
File: canadians protesting.jpg (54 KB, 800x533) Image search: [Google]
canadians protesting.jpg
54 KB, 800x533
>>78328341
>>78332097
>>78336739

the canadian episode was the worst one in the show.

i'm canadian and Colin Mochrie was wasted.

i enjoyed most episodes...but that was the worst.
>>
>>78336934
Of course you're Canadian. An intelligent individual would know that the storm episode where Bill becomes the guy in charge is the worst episode.
>>78336904
Too be fair, the dad flipped out on Bobby for nothing. Until then he thought that he was raising his kids well. Also, video games do not fuck up kids with ADD.
>>78336840
First season. She was a good mechanic, but still stupid.
>>
>>78337519
>Too be fair, the dad flipped out on Bobby for nothing. Until then he thought that he was raising his kids well. Also, video games do not fuck up kids with ADD.

The point is that all the misunderstandings would have been resolved had the parents simply explained their kids had behavioral issues and the reason for their strict parenting. Most times those types of parents explain to other parents why they're like that. Without knowing that, anyone would just think those parents are being overly protective of their kids and would think Hank is in the right for trying to loosen up the kids.
>>
>>78328239
I'd say the show went from great to good. The late season episodes were worth watching for the most part. There were a few bad episodes but there were still really funny ones.
Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.